Cover Image: All That is Buried

All That is Buried

A police procedural starting with a missing girl and then branching out. Though neatly written there are some flaws like finding another body accidentally, not checking on the family of the gardening expert. The loose ends were neatly tied up. 3.5 stars
I havent read any other books by robert scragg seen as this is book 3 i am going to have to go and find the other 2.

Was a good read and I enjoyed the story however i got bored a little bit inplaces
It was interesting to see where the story went and how things fell into place and just knowing if that hadnt of happened then...
This is the third in this series and although the main story is self-contained, to get the very best from it with regard to the main characters' development and back story, it is best to start from book one and read in order.
Seven year old Libby Hallforth goes missing from a funfair. Even though DI Jake Porter and DS Nick Styles are quick to react, the trail goes cold quite quickly. There are no witnesses and scant evidence save a broken mobile phone. There are however many suspects but the field can not be narrowed down. Then, after a reconstruction, there's a sighting that leads our detectives to a rather gruesome discovery. But still no Libby... Fingers start pointing in several directions as the police start to investigate the new discovery, some pointing back to Libby and several of the suspects from that case. With the press intruding and interfering and their bosses constantly on their backs to solve the crimes, our detective duo have their work cut out for them to make an arrest.
The first two books in this series were both good solid reads but were slightly lacking in some of their aspects. This book however cleared up all my niggles from previous outings for Styles and Porter and the series as a whole seems to have settled down nicely now.
As with previous books, I love the interaction between the two main characters. They are chalk and cheese but rub along together quite well. As with all books of this genre which feature heinous crimes, it's always good to get a bit of light relief along the way and, in this book, as in the majority, this is achieved with scenes between the characters in the form of banter and personal scenes outwith the main investigation. With one awaiting an imminent birth and the other basically barging in all over the place, this is well achieved without overshadowing what is happening in the main story.
And then there's that ending that I really didn't see coming...
All in all, a great addition to what looks like a series that will only keep growing. My thanks go to the Publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Allison & Busby for an advance copy of All That Is Buried, the third novel to feature Met detectives DI Jake Porter and DS Nick Styles.

When 7 year old Libby Hallforth disappears from a local fair DI Porter expends all his energy in an effort to find her but months go by with no sign of her. A last ditch reconstruction leads to an alleged sighting of her in Victoria Park but a search of the location turns up a further complication, several sets of human remains.

I enjoyed All That Is Buried which is good police procedural with several twists and some neat ironies. I have not yet read the preceding novels so had nothing to judge this one on but I can say that it works well as a stand-alone. I thought it was slow to start and didn’t initially hold my attention but as the action hots up it hits its stride and becomes quite compulsive. I enjoyed the twists which sent this reader down the false assumption route until the author turned the tables and left me feeling foolish for swallowing his assertions. It’s clever and I really like the way he manipulated me. I also liked his resolution which I thought offered a bit more than the standard “killer with twisted reasoning caught”.

The novel is told mostly from the investigative point of view but there are chapters from the unnamed perpetrator who is clearly not the full shilling and has no qualms about revealing his motive. I’m not a fan of the perpetrator’s thoughts approach and I didn’t think it was particularly well done in this novel, being repetitive and not particularly enlightening. I also thought, for reasons I don’t want to reveal for fear of spoilers, that it didn’t quite ring true by presenting conflicting levels of lucidity.

The characters are interesting with Styles dropping the ball a bit as he concentrated on the imminent birth of his first child and Porter trying to be understanding but generally getting annoyed at it. I liked this dynamic as it seems realistic. Mostly, however, the novel concentrates on Porter and he’s a case study all on his own, driven by his investigative needs he has no hesitation in trampling over other investigations or believing that his priorities supersede all others. It should make him obnoxious but his interactions with his boss are amusing and mitigate any flaws.

All That Is Buried is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
Libby Hallforth is missing from a carnival without a trace. There are so many suspects and remains are found. They do not know if it's a random killer or part of her family. A little bit of a confusing book due to characters names. But not a bad read.
Good story and great characters. Read in two big bites, it held me captive. I will read more in this series if they appear.

One point of criticism: nomenclature. Characters called by sometimes by their first name, sometimes by their surname (irrespective of whether it was a formal location or not) confused this reader no end. I found it hard to keep track of who was who, made even more of a challenge when two females shared the same initials and short first names! Help!
A fairly decent crime novel with an engaging plotline and interesting characters. I haven't read the previous books and it works as a standalone novel.
I loved this book! I was hooked from the beginning and read it in one go! I definitely recommend. I also cant wait for the next book, giving that amazing ending!!
I really enjoyed this book, it was well written with interesting and well developed characters, a good story line that got me interested straight away and a satisfactory ending.

Thank you to Netgalley and HQ Digital for giving me the opportunity to read this book.