Cover Image: Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel

Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel

I really wanted to enjoy this book but the more I read the more I disliked it. DNF at 50% and I hate to DNF books so it was hard to put it aside.
Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this title.

This book started out pretty good but I lost interest as it went along and ended up setting it aside.
This is a YA book which goes  between romance and mystery.
Shelby is a budding young journalist and eager to make a name for herself. A double murder takes place in her town and she gets way too involved!

You will enjoy this if you like a modern twist! It has suspense, but also lots of heart warming moments.

I was given an advance of this book for review
***Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

I wanted to like this, and the first half was great, but I lost interest and DNF.
I did finish, though it felt hard to at some points. I love mysteries, and even though it was a bit predictable (what mysteries aren't?), I enjoyed this book.

The character did seem older than YA, which was weird. Definitely could have categorized this as NA or adult. I don't think that YA is the best fit for it because the character is just not a young adult. Still, it was a good read.

I didn't like the main character, Shelby, at a lot of points. However, I think that's one of the reasons I liked the book as a whole. I love to read unlikable characters because to me it makes them SO real. We don't like everybody, and there are a lot of people with unlikable personalities, so I thought Shelby was just realistic.
The reporter investigating a crime story got me and I read the book. Also the mystery is kind of predictable at one point. But othere then that I loved the stories and the main character development through it.
Sometimes a story can be so interesting in the first hall, then quickly went downhill and become a pile of mess. Did not finish at 64% mark.
Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for this early copy!

Did not finish - I could not connect with the plot or writing so I decided to put it down.
I had a hard time getting into this. I thought I was going to love this, so this was really a disappointment. Other might like it but I just didn't.
If I could describe this book in one word it would be infuriating. It started off well enough, had the trajectory to hit three stars but it very quickly went downhill. I was tempted even to DNF this after the author started to throw in really problematic language but I was already almost halfway through so I decided I might as well finish it out.

As I said, it started off with promise. It read like a pretty typical mystery/crime novel but the first thing that struck me as odd was that this was listed as YA. This doesn't read like a YA, the characters may be younger but they're all post college. I'm not sure why the characters were aged the way they were, they were written in a very adult way and there's no way I would categorize this book as a YA ever.

Speaking of the characters, they were all infuriating in their own special way but the main character more so than anyone else. Shelby is incredibly self-centered and while the author tries to play it off as independence, it's really defiance. Her love interest, Jack, is so flat and their "romance" is rushed and painfully cringeworthy. I feel like this book would have played so much better to people who read more of a mass produced crime/mystery novel (I'm not sure how else to categorize it but this read like one of those crime novels that has 15+ books in a series which definitely have their own place but again this was marketed as YA so I'm reviewing it as such.)

I can't speak to the way the crime was handled but the murderer was obvious to me from the second he was introduced and there were just more and more random side characters thrown in to throw us off the track of that. This ended up leading to the story feeling jumbled and all over the place as it tried to fit a romance, a murder investigation, family drama, and more into one book.

Unfortunately, in the end, some problematic language is what is keeping me from rating this any higher than a one star. There were many comments about being Jewish and Native American that were really poorly handled and for that I would not recommend this book to anyone.
I tried several different times to try and get into this book and I just couldn't. I can see why people are going to like it but this one wasn't for me
I'd give this maybe a 2.5.  Overall, it was not really that enjoyable.  I was mostly interested in it because my sister's name is Shelby.  I thought I'd give it a try based on the character's name alone.  The bad part was that the character of Shelby was not really that likable or believable.  She was irritating and immature.  She made one bad decision after another and I just didn't quite get why the killer started threatening her so early on.  I get she was trying to make a name for herself as a reporter by digging into the double murder, but her stories weren't even breaking news.  She wasn't even really getting any info, yet the killer threatens her from the very beginning.  It just wasn't believable.  Why was she the threat and not the cops who were looking into the case.  Maybe the killer hoped to scare her off before she found anything, but, shocker, it only made her want to dig more.  The author did do a good job of providing lots of possible suspects which made you read until the reveal to know who it was.  I partly think it was harder to know early on who the killer was because Shelby just didn't find very many real clues in all her probing.  She got there in the end though.  Overall, this book was just for me.
dived right into this book and was hanging on by a thread to see who was the killer and what else happened to other characters would recommend !!

Shelby is a young reporter who becomes a target of a killer during her coverage of the crime.
Read/Skip:

Read.

The book is called Lost Girl, but the protagonist, small-town investigative reporter Shelby Day, is anything but; she has a good job, a goal, a healthy dating life, and a dream. As a journalist, she is relentless, she may act foolishly here and there in pursuit of a story, but at least she knows precisely in which direction she is moving. She is the very opposite of lost. Still, Lost Girl implies halfway through that Shelby is indeed 'lost.' She is away from home, her dad is diagnosed with cancer, and multiple people accuse her of being selfish. It's here that I wish Holly Kammier would have stood up more for her creation. Seeing that this is a Young Adult book, I kept hoping her naysayers would be proven wrong. Instead, Shelby has to rely on her backbone solely; I was rooting for her, but I had the feeling that the writer liked her a lot less than I did.
I didn't see anything wrong with her, other than being bossy and smoking up a storm—what's up with that? Shelby has a terrible mother who plays the blame-game and a potential beau that continuously checks her every move, demands a lot of her time, and accuses her of being too focused on doing her job. I kept thinking he was a bad guy because he seemed disturbing, so possessive; he displayed all the warning signs of an emotional abuser. But no, in the end, he is Mr. Right, and he and Shelby smooth their differences out somehow. Listen, I didn't see anything wrong with Shelby; she was a bit naive, but better open and committed than cynical and stuck. Shelby doesn't want to get cemented in a relationship at her age, and why would she; yes, she put herself in danger but got more results than the police. Let the girl breathe and find her way instead of having to fight not only a bunch of awful men, one that goes around murdering women but also a moralistic worldview that she is trying very hard trying not to internalize. More Kinsey Milhone, or less Bridget Jones, and the next Shelby Day book will be alright.

The gist:

Originally from LA, Shelby Day is a tv journalist in a small town, hoping to fulfill her mission of becoming the best investigative reporter she can be. When two women, roommates, are murdered, Shelby smells the kind of story that can catapult her into big leagues. She also identifies with the unfortunate young women. It seems the killer also has noticed the similarity because he comes knowing on Shelby's door. In going against the wishes of her colleague and possible boyfriend Jack, the police and her annoying mother, Shelby, plunges herself into the investigation. Do or die should be her motto.
I’m sorry to say I DNF it. I wanted to like it, but the writing wasn’t able to keep my attention and most story elements felt somehow basic.
I usually cannot resist a good murder mystery, which is why I stuck to reading this book to the end despite the (seemingly not-on-purpose) very unlikeable main character. Unfortunately the ending was not very worth it either.  The whole thing doesn't really hold well together and seems to be trying too hard at the shock-factor.
A great murder mystery which had me guessing till the end. A well written story I would lover to read more by his author
This book unfortunately wasn't my cup of tea so I did end up DNF'ing the book. I was attracted to the plot of this book but unfortunately did not meet my expectations.
This is an interesting book, with a twist in the tale with regards to the ending. I wasn't keen on the main character, I found her motivations and actions to require the reader to suspend belief. It was well written though.