Cover Image: Her Perfect Life

Her Perfect Life

It’s true that I love it when writers write about writers. I’m just so sure I’m going to get the inside scoop.

Of course, this book is more than just the process and the pain, and the ‘sometimes if you’re lucky you hit the really big’ big time. You might think that’s where all the problems start-with the writer-but you would be wrong.

Her Perfect Life is filled with husbands who love too much and husbands who don’t love enough and the occasional good guy who shows up at all the wrong times and, of course two sisters who never really understand each other.

This is a winner of a debut! Thank you to both NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book. Bravo, Ms. Taylor.

Looking forward to your next book!
This one was a pleasant surprise, a buddy read that I went into blind. It turns out that I really liked the writing in this one and the author is from my home state of Colorado, winner!

We have two sisters in this one – uber-successful writer Clare Collins and her sister Eileen, a wife and mother of three. The two sisters have grown apart and Eileen is stunned to get a call that her sister is dead. She flies to San Francisco to find out more and work out details with her brother-in-law Simon.

As Eileen digs more into Clare’s life and especially the last book that she wrote, the past starts to be more relevant. Eileen has some issues and secrets of her own to deal with. The book was written with alternating storylines from the two women, but I didn’t have any trouble keeping them apart. I found that I connected and related more to Eileen, but both characters were interesting and developed.

This debut novel is one that I would recommend. I should note that there are a few triggers in this one: death of a family pet, infidelity, and suicide.
I quite enjoyed reading this book.  It had me gripped right from the start and kept me very engaged.  Nothing particularly crazy happens after the first initial incidents but the story progressed really well.  I did figure out the one big plot twist pretty early on but I don't think that took away from my enjoyment of the story at all.  Loved the back and forth timeline with everything slowly coming together.
The World is stunned when best-selling author Clare Collins is found dead on the beach, from an apparent self inflicted gun shot wound, the morning after her latest book hits the shelves.

Could her latest novel, one that is very different from previous releases, provide her sister Eileen with the answer of WHY, Clare would end what appeared to be “A Perfect Life”?

After reading this synopsis, I was expecting, perhaps, the “book within a book” concept that I always enjoy..present day, alternating with chapters from Clare’s novel but that is not how the story is presented.

Eileen does find Clare’s journals, amongst her belongings, and they provide some answers but the structure is actually :

The years before Clare’s death alternating with
Eileen, present day, who is dealing with some revelations in her own life.

Both women’s narratives held my interest throughout, but it should be noted that this well written novel reads like a Contempory Women’s Fiction book despite the element of mystery surrounding Clare’s death.

Despite this being the author’s debut Adult Fiction novel, Rebecca Taylor is a psychologist, and the characters and their emotions ring true because of her knowledge in this field.

I definitely will be keeping my eye out for future work from this talented author!

TRIGGERS: Suicide, Infidelity and the death of a beloved pet dog! (HATED THAT!)

Thank You to Netgalley, Sourcebooks Landmark and the author for the digital ARC I received in exchange for a candid review!

And, to Susan and DeAnn for a great discussion and buddy read.

NG reviewers this is a READ NOW selection
Available to all on June 2, 2020!
I hadn’t planned on reading Her Perfect Life due to subject matter.

Suicide isn’t a trigger for me but I do steer away from it.  Psychopathic murderers yes, killing yourself, no.

A buddy read with Jayme and DeeAnn enticed me to expand my boundaries.

Clair’s life and suicide shared the spotlight with her sister Eileen’s equally compelling story.  I was immediately absorbed into both with the author’s writing style being easy to comprehend.

Although the book didn’t seem to move fast, I couldn’t put it down and was finished quickly.

I have mixed feelings because overall, it was an excellent book.  BUT, a pet dog was killed near the end.  If it had happened earlier on, I would’ve stopped reading and not finished.

I REALLY hate when authors do this.  Especially with all the other sad elements of the story, it was completely unnecessary.  A bitter pill for an otherwise great book.

Thank you to Netgalley, Rebecca Taylor, and Sourcebooks Landmark for my electronic copy
The subject of this book I enjoyed,   especially as it involved the relationship of sisters. I liked how it displayed different Povs, and made the characters real, their faults and struggles. The backstory of why one committed suicide was intriguing. I love to read books about women and their relationships and this was a Great one!!! Thank you to #Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book.
I love while reading a book you are able to relate/connect with the characters for me it's much more enjoyable to read.  It took me a few chapters to get into the book but once I did I could not put it down.  Read this book it will not disappoint.
This is a powerful and page-turning women's fiction novel. I was so fully swept up in the completely believable storyline that I read through the night, until I finished the whole book. I think I may have experienced ever emotion I am capable of feeling while reading it. If you enjoy reading books with characters you can relate to this book is for you. This book should be on every book club list to read.
The story is set in the present, but goes back to the past when it pertains to the events that support the story. Each chapter title is marked with the identity of who's story is being told as well as the time-frame. It is about a family of four, and how betrayals, secrets and trauma can impact the person you become in the future. The main character, Clare becomes a famous author living the perfect life. At least it appears that way. Clare is extremely wealthy and married to her agent. The live in an isolated house built near a cliff by the ocean. The book tells the story of her relationships and how she ends up writing her final book. Clare's sister, Eileen, is the secondary character in the book. She is married with kids. Eileen lives a life completely different from her sister. She is in a disconnected marriage that she can't see what is wrong until it is put in front of her face. Eileen is a photographer who is doing work that pays the bills, but she feels like it is below her talent.  She is also jealous of her famous sister. I can not say anymore without spoiling it for you.
I loved this story and truly feel like Rebecca Taylor should continue writing in this genre. Maybe a follow up story to this one ;)
I received this book in exchange for my honest review.
I was hooked within the first few chapters on this one. Who is Clare, exactly, and why would a best-selling author, who seems to have everything going for her, take their own life?

Clare’s story is fascinating, and the insights into the writer process and psyche of a best -seller are fun and interesting, whether you live in that world or not. But it was the character of Eileen, the sister who survives Clare who kept me turning the pages. She’s relatable – a mom who’s juggling (sometimes badly), feels like she wasn’t there enough for her sister, and is desperate to know why her sister would choose to leave her? And did she ever know Claire at all?

The characters are well formed, believable, and at its core, this is a book about holding secrets and the prior life experiences we carry forward with us, no matter how much we try to leave them behind.

A skillfully-written page turner where you’ll relate to the characters, and be left asking questions about what happens if our past is hidden, instead of faced head on? Great, fast, enjoyable read.
Claire thought she had the perfect life but she wasn’t happy . That led her to commit sucide this story proves that just because a person is beautiful and rich doesn’t mean they’re always happy.
I loved this one!  This was one of those books that sucked me in from the beginning and didn’t let go until I finished!  I thought it was well written, with absolutely flawlessly done characters, and absolutely unputdownable.  It had so many fun twists & turns, lies, cheats, suspense, chills, and many thrills!  I highly recommend to those who like books centered around an amazingly done main character who seems to have everything implode all at once and decides to discover some truths!  Preorder today, as it’s not one you’ll want to miss!
Will make sure to buzz it up on all the different platforms!
Doesn’t everyone want a perfect life?  Now does that perfect life mean reality or what one wants to show the world....makes the reader think!  I enjoyed all of the characters, and felt that they were really well developed, that by the end of the book, you felt a connection to them!  Surprising end, and that’s what makes a great book - where you’re actually surprised at what happens!
This is an edge of your seat, nail biting novel. A fast read which I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed this one
This was sooooo much different than what I was expecting. I was honestly expecting a mysterious death. Being investigated and found to be murdered.

What I got was somehow more intense. And heartbreaking.

And both sisters’ stories were well done.

My one complaint—and the thing I found odd and lacking—was that Eileen’s husband and children never showed for the funeral. I guess that would’ve made some of the things harder to tell the way they were told. But still. A family member dies and they’re being left out seemed strange. Or a small plot hole.

However, I really enjoyed it regardless!
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I chose this book based on the title because, hey, who doesn't want a perfect life? After reading the synopsis, I decided to go forth and request it and almost immediately I was into the story. Mostly, the story is about two sisters, Eileen and Clare. They both grew up and got married but while one THINKS she is happily married, the other one is in a happy marriage but she never actually loved her husband. She married him because she will never have a love like her first love(who happens to be dead now), she really thinks he is a great guy, and he believes in her. And also happens to be her publisher.

The book flip-flops between past and present and between sisters so if you don't read the top of the page that tells you when and who, you might get confused. It starts out with Eileen finding out her famous sister is dead by her own hand. As she heads to the airport to go help her brother-in-law get things settled, she finds out that her life is not what she thinks it is. Essentially, there are so many small twists in this book that I never lost interest at any given time. I loved the characters, I loved the storyline, and I loved the author's descriptions and writing style. I would definitely read more books by this author. :)
Eileen is trying to fit everything into her life with her kids, husband, job etc when she gets a call from her estranged sister's husband that her sister has ended her own life. Eileen rushes out to help her brother-in-law and  finds some questionable pictures in an envelop on her car's dashboard.
The character of Eileen is well developed and you find yourself rooting for her to discover herself. There is some suspense involved as Eileen and her brother -in-law Simon try to discover why Claire ended her own life. They find out some answers as they read all of Claire's previous diaries and journals. I enjoyed reading this book.
I was given this to read for an honest review. In the beginning I wasn’t so sure I would like it. I did start getting into it & liking the characters with all their different personalities. It seemed more like a novel for a younger audience since I am 68. I do like this author. (less)
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for this ARC.

It’s hard to write a review because I did enjoy this book. I just didn’t think it was earth shattering. It had a nice pace, nice writing and a good storyline, but nothing about it made it unputdownable. It was still a decent read. It was a good book to read on a rainy day.
Although I have mixed feelings about it, I would generally recommend HER PERFECT LIFE for fans of women's fiction. Reading the description, it's hard to know how to classify this book. It's not a thriller/suspense story. I would say it's women's fiction, by which I mean a somewhat breezy "beach read" that is mostly focused on delivering an entertaining story. For the most part, HER PERFECT LIFE is entertaining and I remained interested in the story. My one caveat is that it's not particularly fast paced and I felt the past (20 years ago) storyline bogged down the narrative. I understand why it was included -- and it was important -- but I would rather have learned the big reveal in smaller snippets and from Eileen's perspective. Eileen is a strong and sympathetic character and the author would have been better served to let her carry more of the novel instead of asking the reader to be patient for extends chunks of story from the past.
Clare Collins appears to have it all. A successful author, millions of fans, a beautiful home - so why would she take her own life on the night of her latest book release? Sister Eileen is shocked by the news, and flies off to California to help Simon, Clare's husband and agent, get through this tragedy. Eileen has her own problems with an unexpected shock in her life, and more surprises are coming. Secrets are revealed and lifes are irrevocably changed in this taut story. The past can come back to haunt you. Thank you to #netgalley and the author for this arc.