Cover Image: The Last Flight

The Last Flight

Claire Cook, a woman married to a powerful politician, wants out of her abusive marriage. She has painstakingly set all the details in plan to escape. At the last minute though, plans change and Claire ends up with a different destination. Before that flight though, Claire meets a woman named Eva, who decides agrees to switch places with her. What comes next are stories of both women; their backstories and how they got to that airport.

A very suspenseful book, this one will surprise you in so many ways.
This was a super interesting story. It kept you reading from the first page. I was super invested in this book. I have recommended this book to many.
When two women who are desperate to escape their pasts cross paths, will they switch places to start over?

The premise of <u>The Last Flight</u> had so much promise and the initial chapters were very suspense driven. But after the swap/reveal leading up to the flight, the chapters started to drag. Those from Eva's memories were particularly dull and tedious after the first several reiterations of "she's a lonely drug dealer in Berkley California". While I found Claire a more compelling character overall and enjoyed her chapters well enough, this just wasn't one of my most favorite suspense/thriller novels out there. I found the conclusion to be a little lackluster and predictable and the path that lead us there was just a little too drawn out.
I couldn't get enough of this book. The intrigue and mystery had me captivated. This is not using the type of book I would have read, but I am glad that I gave it a chance. It did not disappoint. I hope there will be more by this author.
Traveling With T’s Thoughts:

I remember seeing this book on Instagram or Twitter before it was published and it sounded SO good and I was so excited to read it… and then I don’t know what happened. I guess 2020. Anyway- I finally read it and if they don’t make this book into a movie one day- I’m going to be pissed.

What I liked:

The cover!!!!!

Eva and Claire. Both women were desperate to get away from their lives- and I loved how the story was laid out- especially Eva’s story. There was also some teensy little twists that made for some a-ha moments that I enjoyed!

Bottom line: This book was fast paced and VERY good. If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend you read it ASAP.

*This book was sent to Traveling With T for review consideration. All thoughts and opinions are mine alone.*
(Thanks to the publisher for the free ARC.) The Last Flight opens with a dramatic plane crash, and it slowly unfurls the stories of two women: one leading up to the crash, and another in the days after. Both women have secrets that, if revealed, could kill them, and they need to disappear. I enjoyed the plot structure, and it gave me a chance to really dive deep into their stories. One storyline is heavy with domestic abuse, so beware if this is a trigger for you.
I know the author was working to tell the story of women trapped in the power of men. Both women had a ton of financial resources that made their escape possible, which I felt conflicted about - the vast majority of women don’t have that help. But it also asked the question of identity and outward appearances that would be fun to explore with other readers.
So fun, thrilling, and dangerous! I need this to come to the screen immediately!! What a great suspense novel, Julie!
Claire Cook is desperate. Her perfect life is all an illusion. Her wealthy husband is on the verge of political stardom, but nobody but Claire knows how he treats her behind closed doors. Thanks to an old childhood friend, Claire has found a way to escape. She has planned every little detail and is just hours away from being free. Until her husband changes her itinerary at the last moment. Now she not only will not only be able to escape, but her husband is going to find out her plans. She will never be able to escape. Until an unexpected encounter in a hotel bar gives her hope for her future. She trades places with that stranger. Instead of going to Puerto Rico, she gets on the plane for Oakland as a woman named Eva. Claire thinks that she has earned her freedom when she lands in Oakland to find out that the plane to Puerto Rico crashed - with no survivors. It doesn't take long for Claire to discover that Eva had her own reasons for wanting to disappear. Will Claire ever be able to find the peace that she is so desperately seeking?

The Last Flight was a really good thriller. Both Claire and Eva were likable women in tough situations and were willing to do anything to get out of their situations. I loved how clearly Claire thought out the details of her escape. From her time at the gym to her clever way of keeping tabs on Rory, I loved the way she was constantly trying to stay ahead. The one minor detail that annoyed me was the way she handled Rory's emails. As if there wasn't a way to "Mark Unread" in Gmail. Because there is a way to make it happen. I am really pleased with the way things ended. Claire stopped running. - CLICK HERE FOR SPOILERS.

Bottom Line - The Last Flight has been getting a lot of buzz this summer and for good reasons. Smart characters and an interesting plot, mixed with crazy twists, make for a great summer read.

Details:
The Last Flight by Julie Clark
On Instagram
Pages: 320
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Publication Date: 6/23/2020
Buy it Here!
Thank you to NetGalley for the book in exchang
What a fun ride! Finally- a smart thriller without a ton of violence against women! Two women are both on the run for very different reasons. On a whim, they agree to switch plane tickets and unfortunately, one of the planes goes down. Quickly Clare finds that Eva’s story of a dead husband is not adding up- and she starts to wonder if Eva’s problems are worse than her own. Lots of twists and believable misdirection. One of my favorite thrillers of 2020!
This exciting book with a unique plot twist involving two women who randomly meet at an airport and spontaneously decide to switch identities and lives during captivated me from the start. I could not wait to see what would happen next and, as one might imagine, their plans do not go as expected.

If you're looking for compelling suspense told from a woman's perspective, The Last Flight is your book.

This is a great story to immerse yourself in over a long weekend.
The Last Flight is an extremely popular book right now.  Julie Clark has done a great job writing a plot that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat until you are finished.  Though is not my usual style of book and I thought it would not be in my comfort zone, I read it for a book discussion group and ended up really enjoying it.  Though I would say, I did not want to read it at night alone in the house.

This is a story of two women who are stuck in relationships that are damaging to their wellbeing.  For all the world to see, Claire Cook looks like she has the perfect life, a wealthy attractive husband, everything money can buy and working the charity circuit of social events.  But under the makeup and beautiful clothes are the markings of an abusive marriage and Claire wants to escape.

When she runs into Eva who is also running away from a secret unhappy life she thinks she has found the answer to her problems.  The two women decide to switch places and start their lives over.

Reading this psychological thriller is entertaining, but this novel is so much more.  The topics of spousal abuse and love, family and a place to belong and feel needed are so strong throughout this novel.  This book keeps looking at how the each decision you make along the way can change the trajectory of your life so easily.

It is always interesting when a fast well paced thriller can also give you something to think about as you enjoy the tantalizing plot.
This is the first book that I have read of this author. It was quite ok. However I will be checking other books by this author
My review can be found at bookbrowse.com:

Julie Clark's second novel, The Last Flight, is the tale of two women, each desperate to escape an untenable situation. Claire seems to have an ideal life, married to a wealthy and charismatic politician widely known and admired for his philanthropy; behind the scenes, though, the man is controlling, manipulative and violent, and may very well have murdered his last paramour. Eva has made a career out of cooking drugs for a powerful dealer. She wants to change her life but knows her employer will literally have her killed if there's any hint she wishes to leave. An encounter at an airport leads the two women to swap identities, but neither truly understands that she's stepping into a situation at least as dangerous as the one she's fleeing. The plot is further complicated by the crash of the airplane Eva is to have boarded (and that Claire was originally meant to have taken).

The narrative alternates between the two women. While Claire's chapters are set in the present, Eva's are limited to the past. This makes sense and works very well; throughout the novel the author casts plenty of uncertainty about whether Eva actually got on the doomed flight, and keeping her in the past maintains the mystery of her fate up to the very end of the book. Eva's story line charts her descent from naïve college student to professional narcotics manufacturer, exploring how her experiences influenced the person she became, as well as her disappointment in herself for the damage she knowingly inflicts on others. This is a compelling approach that asks readers to ponder questions such as how much responsibility we bear for our poor decisions in life, and whether or not change is possible in some circumstances. Claire's chapters, on the other hand, focus on how she adapts to suddenly having a new life while constantly worried that her past will catch up with her. Throughout her story, readers will undoubtedly ask themselves how they would respond in similar circumstances and whether Claire makes the right choices to best protect herself.

The novel is mostly character-driven, but it does have scenes of heart-stopping suspense that keep the pages flying late into the night. I can think of several instances where I literally gasped out loud at a particularly high-stress plot twist (and it was fun watching my spouse hit those same passages and have an identical reaction). The story isn't completely airtight — there are minor cases where an action or plot point doesn't seem entirely probable — but overall I found the novel highly entertaining and it was easy to overlook the negligible flaws.

The only real shortcoming of the book is that while Claire's and Eva's characters are fully developed, the rest of the cast isn't as finely drawn; Claire's husband in particular is a cardboard villain, completely one-dimensional. A federal DEA officer closing in on the drug operation isn't much better defined, nor is Eva's next-door neighbor Liz. The author exhibits such remarkable skill in bringing her main characters to life that it's somewhat disappointing that she doesn't extend her craft to the rest of the crew.

The Last Flight is the perfect antidote for summer malaise and makes a terrific "beach read." Its fast pace and relatable main characters will undoubtedly provide a much-needed distraction for readers looking for sheer escapism. It also raises enough interesting questions to make a very good book group selection.
I did not finish this book. Loved the cover and description but it failed to keep me captivated! Might be a cool story for the screen but within the words, the story falls flat.
An intense thriller with two women in terrible circumstances changing identities with each other and the fall out that ensues.
“People will believe whatever you want them to, as long as you don’t hesitate.”

Without question one of the best books I’ve read in 2020.

The Last Flight by Julie Clark is compelling, thrilling, thought-provoking, and has some truly amazing characters. This is the sort of book that will appeal to fans of so many different genre. Don’t skip it!

A story of two women who couldn’t be more different, and yet who find themselves looking for an escape at exactly the same time.

“If we don’t tell our own stories, we’ll never take control of the narrative.”

Claire Cook is a woman who everyone knows, married into a political dynasty and with a life that appears picture perfect. In just one week her husband will announce is Senatorial campaign. But before then, Claire will disappear, shedding the abusive life she has become accustomed to.

“All choices had consequences. It was what you did with those consequences that mattered.”

Just when Claire learns that everything might be lost, she meets a woman at an airport bar named Eva who may be as desperate as she is. Eva is the sort of woman no one knows—she blends into the background. And yet at this exact moment in time, she might be the key to saving Claire. In a moment with little hesitation, the two women trade plane tickets and slip away out of the public eye.

“Identity is a strange thing. Are we who we say we are, or do we become the person others see? Do they define us by what we choose to show them, or what they see despite our best attempts to conceal it?”

Each woman has a past that doesn’t want her to escape. And that past will do anything to reclaim them.

The way this story unfolds is a masterpiece. We learn more about each woman, both before they disappear and afterwards. I really grew to enjoy both characters in completely different ways. These women are both broken, but for different reasons. One was left abandoned in the shadows, and the other was in the spotlight. Both have been abused while others look away. Both have made mistakes, but the story to me is about whether you can change your fate, whether you can truly escape it.

“You know, life is long. Lot’s of things can go wrong and still end up all right.”

Honestly I want to gush about this book for pages and pages! But I really don’t want to spoil it—it is so good!!! We chose this for our book club read and the discussions were so rich. I love the writing, the characters, and the way she structured the story. The ending is one I’m still thinking about months later—which is a compliment to the author!!! Truly fantastic!

Thank you to Sourcebook Landmark for my copy! I loved it so much I bought finished one!
Excellent story and excellent use of different points of view. I really enjoy this author's writing and story-telling.
Worth all the hype it's received- the Breaking Bad comparisons are a lot to live up to, but it does. Satisfying and unexpected ending.
This little gem is under the headline "can't put it down". Stayed up all night to read this fab story. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher.
As soon as I read the synopsis I knew I wanted to read The Last Flight. It was so freakin good! The mystery kept me on the edge of my seat and the fast paced writing and plot kept me interested the entire time. Highly recommend!