The Last Flight

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Jun 2020

A good story that kept me interested all the way to the end,

the MeToo movement is what helps this story as Claire is the wife of a politician who enjoys control and violence to get his way. Easy to see how no one would believe a nobody over the son of a politician who goes on to become one himself. How to get away? What do you do when your plans are thwarted? Who can you trust? It feels like no one is safe to ask.

When a stranger mysteriously shows up and offers her a solution, she grabs it, only to find herself in the mess the other woman, Eva, was running away from herself.
Nice twists to the story.
Thanks NetGalley for an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review..
Wow, I really enjoyed this book.  Two desperate women trying to disappear. which is almost impossible.  I loved the two different point of views of Claire and Eva.  Each women's situation has different layers. When they switch places neither one tells the whole story.

I read it in two sittings.  The writing was excellent, and I was drawn in with the first pages.
Thank you, Net Galley, for an advance copy for an honest review
I **loved** this book. More of a 4.5 star, only because of personal preferences not because of the story. The suspense starts immediately and is told mainly from 2 interesting, well layered characters with a great cast in the background. One perspective comes mainly “after” the event and the other is told leading up to the event. I rooted for them as much as I wanted to shout at them. Their histories are rich and tangible. You could definitely feel their angst and fear coming off the page. The people placed in their paths were also well developed and played their own significant role in moving things forward. No fluff or extra stuff that didn’t serve a purpose. I’m left with a few questions that I had wished to wrap up by the end but all in all I really enjoyed this title. Side note: as an ARC, I noticed a few (no more than 5) spelling errors but it wasn’t significant and did not hinder my ability to understand the sentence, just simple typing mistakes. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me access to this title. All opinions are my own.
This was almost a 4-5 star read for me. But  I think the blurb on the cover ruined it! It said, “a chilling and surprising ending..” so that’s what I was expecting. But no. There was one small twist that I figured out by the halfway point, and I knew there had to be more. For me, the book started out so strong - great characters, great pacing, a lot of fun. I was waiting for the “chilling and surprising ending.” But there wasn’t one! I don’t think Aimee Molloy and I read the same book.
The Last Flight by Julie Clark was gripping from beginning to end. Clare Cook is the wealthy wife who married into a political family. She seems to have it made, but behind the cameras, her husband's temper and control issues can't be tamed. She knows there is no way out, other than simply vanishing. She plans for months, and the night before she is supposed to go, she is rerouted to JFK airport instead of Detroit, where she had sent her money. Clare is in a panic, and little does she know, but there is another woman desperate to escape. Eva notices Clare, and convinces her to swap identities. Eva boards Clare's flight to Puerto Rico, and Clare gets a ticket to Eva's hometown of Oakland to take her life. Clare lands safely in Oakland, but quickly hears that Eva's flight crashed. Guilt ridden, Clare has no choice but to keep moving. Clare begins to unravel Eva's life and realizes she is running too. Clare must keep herself out of danger, out of her husband's radar, and still build a new identity.

This story will hook you from the first page and won't let you put it down. It was different from your average thriller or domestic abuse story. My only critique is that I enjoyed it so much, I wish the reader had more time with Clare prior to her escape to really get a sense of her desperation. Otherwise, great story with dynamic characters. Thanks to NetGalley for the chance to read and review.
I love this premise and the book fully delivered. I liked that the author chose not to have an unreliable narrator. I liked both Eva and Claire. In fact, I'd read one POV, declaring that woman my favorite, only to switched POVs and change my mind. In the end, I simply like both women. There's things within the novel that I wanted to happen -- and they did. There were also things in the novel I didn't want to happen -- that happen. It kept me on my toes and turning the pages. Overall, I really enjoyed this suspenseful novel!
THIS WAS THE BEST THRILLER I HAVE READ THIS YEAR-BAR NONE!

CLAIRE:
She married into a political dynasty, and she is expected to perform her role as the future Senator’s wife, PERFECTLY.

EVA:
Despite being raised in the Foster Care system, she is doing well in College, until SHE meets the wrong guy.

TWO vulnerable women.
TWO impossible situations.

Until, they meet in an airport bar, and make a decision to switch tickets.

Claire takes Eva’s ticket to Oakland.
Eva takes Claire’s ticket to Puerto Rico.

Each hopes the change in destination will give them a chance for a head start, at a new life.

But, when the plane to Puerto Rico goes down, and there are no survivors, Claire realizes she will be declared dead and nobody will be looking for her.

But, disappearing is NOT that simple.

The pace was FAST, the tension was TAUT, and the reasons these two strong, savvy women needed to escape were believable and RELEVANT!!

This book does not seem to be on anybody’s radar yet, but it should be!

PRE-ORDER NOW! Available June 2, 2020.

A big THANK YOU, to NetGalley  Sourcebooks Landmark Publishing and Julie Clark for the digital ARC I received in exchange for a candid review!
Two women who need to escape their lives switch plane tickets. When one of the planes crashes it opens up new possibilities. This was a very quick and entertaining read that left me guessing how it would end. I enjoyed this book immensely.
THE LAST FLIGHT by Julie Clarke is a perfectly-paced, suspenseful domestic drama that kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Filled with unexpected twists and turns, I could not put it down. It is the story of two women in dire circumstances who decide they need to escape their current lives. Claire Cook has a seemingly perfect life living in an elegant Fifth Avenue townhouse with her rich and powerful husband that is about to run for the Senate. However, behind closed doors he is abusive and manipulative, keeping her in a state of constant fear. She crafts a clever plan to disappear without a trace and start a new life. Eva was a brilliant Chemistry student at Berkeley before one ill-fated decision left her in a situation where her life is in danger. She knows she needs to vanish if she is to survive. The two women meet by chance at the airport and decide to swap flights and identities. What follows is a wild ride, alternating between Claire and Eva’s respective stories.  I loved how the book spoke to many issues that are highly relevant in today’s news. The female friendships portrayed in the book were inspiring and uplifting. THE LAST FLIGHT is a well-written and compelling read and I highly recommend it. Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read and review an early copy.
My copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review it.

This was an amazing book! It was well written, fast paced with characters you actually liked and cared about and had a riveting, timely plot. This was one of the best thrillers I’ve read in quite awhile and should be on everyone’s reading list.
I was hooked at the prologue. “I know only three things about her: her name, what she looks like, and that her flight departs this morning. My advantage – she doesn’t know anything about me.”

I was fascinated by how these two women sought a do-over in life, a fresh start. They would do anything to obtain it. I liked what the author said in the interview that is included in the back of this book, “I want readers to be inspired by the courage of both Claire and Eva, who did what felt impossible to each of them. No matter the circumstances, there’s a way out. As Claire’s mother put it: If you pay attention, solutions always appear. But you have to be brave enough to see them.”

I was drawn into the drama of both of these women’s lives. I was also amazed by the detail and care that these women went through to disappear, here’s a peek at the thought process; “ ..very few people actually stop to consider how difficult it is to truly vanish. The level of detail needed to eliminate even the tiniest trace. Because there’s always something. A small thread, a seed of truth, a mistake. It only takes a tiny pinprick of circumstance to unravel it all. A phone call at the moment of departure. A fender bender three blocks before the freeway on ramp. A cancelled flight…“A last-minute change of itinerary.”

The author includes 13 discussion questions in the back of her book along with an insightful author interview. Both of these will help create a lively discussion at your book club meeting. This is a great story of hope, courage and new beginnings I enjoyed very much. There were a few “ F” bombs in the novel but the story was worth overlooking that fact. This is the first novel I’ve read by this author it won’t be the last.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
I loved this authors debut novel last year and looked so forward to this one. I really enjoyed it. Quite the plot of disappearing with a different twist. Told in a before an event happens and present day, it’s a page turner until the end.
Thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for the ARC
I'm so glad I got the chance to read an advance copy of this book!  Although I was unfamiliar with the author, the book sounded appealing and I decided to take a chance on it.  It turned out to be a great thriller- I couldn't put it down!  There are two intersecting story lines, and I enjoyed reading about both.  This book is the perfect summer/vacation read with lots of suspense and unique scenarios.  I highly recommend it.
This one is perfect for suspense fans who want a tick of upmarket women's fiction feel. I was sucked in and engrossed, and with some gut punches along the way, I really felt for both Eva and Claire.  Start to finish, this one was a winner for me.

Initially I was drawn to the book because I knew a plane crash was part of the premise. I'm a sucker for anything plane crash related. I was pleasantly surprised by the spin here, which I won't reveal so as not to spoil it for anyone. The Last Flight also draws on battered women, shady politicians and cover-ups, and inequities in privilege/opportunity. Primarily set at Berkeley, we get Claire's POV post-switch with Eva, and Eva's POV leading up to the switch, clueing the reader into the deep shit Claire has inadvertently stepped into by changing tickets with her.

Both POVs drew me in, and kept me guessing... for the most part. I was on top of one major twist pretty early on, but two others really got me. I felt deep empathy for both Claire and Eva, and was rooting for both. I recommend it for readers who like complex women fighting against impossible situations with some light suspense, primarily rooted in personal stakes. I needed to know if Claire was going to get away from her abusive husband, if she would be able to take the smug asshole down. I needed Eva to outsmart the forces around her, open up to the right people, and get away.
Apparently I’m on a #metoo kick right now (unintentionally) having just read The Night Swim right before this. I would say this book is a lot more subtle in that respect though and touches on physical abuse instead of rape.

I was really intrigued by the premise of two women wanting to escape their lives and deciding to switch tickets, then finding out one of the planes crash leaving one woman to figure out the secrets of the other potentially dead woman. Very mysterious. The flipping POVs in this book was very clear to follow- Claire was always in the present and Eva was all in the past. I felt like the pace was good and kept me engaged.

The author made a good point in the back of the book that a lot of female-driven suspense novels popular these days portray an unreliable narrator or kind of a crazy woman type of thing and so she wanted to write something with a strong, smart, kind, rational, normal-I guess, female characters. I noticed that and appreciate it. She proved that you can still write a decent book without dysfunctional main characters! I also appreciated the theme of female friendship. It’s refreshing when a female character who is struggling through something has a reliable and genuine female friend- not a romantic interest (male or female)- to help her on her journey. True friendships are really downplayed in suspense novels, obviously sometimes for good reason, but I think in this book it added a lot to the likability of the story and characters to not fall back on romantic feelings to get them through the day.

One thing I was a bit disappointed by was what I felt was a missed opportunity to add more action towards the end as Claire’s ‘disappearance’ starts to unravel. I thought the author was gonna go there but then within a paragraph the danger immediately dissipated and it wrapped up fairly quickly. Overall I liked how it ended, but wish she would have added an extra few scenes of dangerous peril with Claire’s story before it came to a close. Because of that and the few to frequent F-words, gave this a 4 star rating.

**Received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
Fantastic! Brilliant! Compellingly Thrilling and twisty! I loved every second of this book. Julie Clark blew me away with this intricate story. I think we've all thought of what it would be like to disappear and become someone else...Well, get ready for a ride. From lavish Fifth Avenue and Clare meets Eva at the airport and from that point the trajectory of their lives changes in ways they never thought. A fascinating tale you wont put down. Highly recommended! 5 stars!
Thank you to NetGalley for an arc of The Last Flight.

I love the premise of two switching their plane tickets, hoping for a better life, so I was excited when my request was approved.

What could go wrong when two strangers decide to reinvent themselves?

Claire is the wife of a prominent, rising politician, a Kennedy wannabe, but she has secrets. So does Eva, a former promising chemistry student who has pulled a Breaking Bad for, what else? A man.

These two women are inextricably linked, though not much different from one another.

They are strong willed, resilient and powerful, flawed and human who made the wrong decisions and the consequences of those choices have led them to their fateful meeting.

The POVs switch from Claire's present day to Eva's past, allowing readers insight into her past and how she found herself in the current predicament she finds herself at the start of the book.

There are obvious references to #MeToo; how Claire fell for her husband, not realizing his dark side until it was too late; how Eve fell for a man and made a disastrous choice because she believed he cared.

But, in the end, both women realize that the only way to solve a problem is to go through it, no matter how difficult it may be.

My only caveat is how the women met, a coincidence that was a bit difficult for me to suspend disbelief for, but the book was nearly over so I let it go.

The writing was good with decent character development; there's not much action, plenty of introspection and flashbacks but it was a good read.
Two Women. Two Flights.
One uniquely written novel.
Claire appears to live the ideal life. Married to Rory. Life seems perfect.
Until she learns of his darker side and seeks out. STAT!
So, with a chance at freedom she takes it and jumps at the chance to trade flights with EVA.
What happens thereafter, is quite mysterious and intriguing.
The plane has crashed. Everyone believes Claire is dead.
Yet, one major issue remains...RORY!
It's the boys will be boys saga...
This time it's the girls turn...
Evidence points to one hell of a shady fella with one deadly situation being explored.
The past may come back to haunt you!
This was splendid in every form. It takes off from the start and never lets up.
Loved it!!
It's been a few days since I finished this one and I still dont' know how I feel about it...it's got a few twists ad turns...it's got a little bit of action and touch decisions.  It' snot an edge of your seat have to keep turning pages, but it is a very satisfying book that I'm really glad I read.
A very well crafted story of two women coming from different backgrounds who meet briefly and change each other's lives forever. Claire Cook is an intelligent and accomplished individual married into one of the wealthiest families in the world.  She seems to have a perfect life enjoying the things that her husband's money can bring her.  All she has to do is work on various projects that benefit many people and obey her husband.  The fly in the ointment is that her husband has turned into an abusive tyrant who insists on complete obedience from her or he will physically beat her  up.  Eva is the other woman involved in the story.  Through circumstances beyond her control she has drifted into the life of a drug dealer.  Her knowledge of chemistry combined with a need to make a living has forced her into a position that places her on the wrong side of the law.
        Both Claire and Eva come together as both are fleeing their current lives and trying to disappear completely.  They meet at an airport bar where Claire is to fly to Puerto Rico and Eva to Oakland, California.  The women end up telling the other about their desire to escape their lives and start again.  It strikes them while talking that changing identities will throw those that are looking for them completely off the track.  And, since each has their boarding pass in hand the change is accomplished. Certainly just this action will enable a good story to emerge.  However, it is complicated by a plane crash to Eva's plane as it flies to Puerto Rico.
        Ms. Clark tells the story via the use of rotating first person narratives involving both the women, but also persons that are of interest to the tale.  It is an engrossing, well done novel with the ending completely logical but not telegraphed in the reading.  Character portraits,  thoughts, doubts and problems arising are as well done as it has been my pleasure to read.  A five star book that after conclusion will project a desire on the part of reader toward following the author and obtaining her future novels as they emerge.