Cover Image: I Killed Zoe Spanos

I Killed Zoe Spanos

This was a wonderful YA thriller. Every time you think you have everything figured out, you are given another clue that throws you completely off. As an avid podcast listener, I also loved the podcast elements throughout.
Just a really well done story and I could definitely recommend!
I KILLED ZOE SPANOS is an engaging YA thriller. The book switches between the present and a few months earlier, when Anna was babysitting in the Hamptons. The book begins when Anna is coerced into a confession that she killed the missing girl, Zoe. But did she? This is unclear, especially as her memories of the night Zoe disappeared are spotty at best.

Anna has an alcohol/substance abuse problem that she is trying to escape. She would frequently go partying and then forget herself and/or what she had done. She is hoping that taking a job nannying will help her to leave that life behind. Being a nanny in the Hamptons is complicated by the fact that she looks a lot like Zoe Spanos. As more people make the comparison, Anna begins to look into the people and the case as much as she can, but her own questions are increasing.

What I loved: This book hooked me pretty early with wanting to know what really happened to Zoe Spanos, and the answer is very complicated. The book also includes podcasts that really add something special to the plot. The end gets a thrilleresque feel as Zoe's murderer is on the trail, and Martina, Zoe's little sister Aster's BFF, is making podcasts, trying to figure out what happened to Zoe. This is a solid plot, which is paced slower at first and much faster later on. The reveals at the end were top-notch, really bringing everything together beautifully.

Final verdict: Perfect for fans of SADIE, I KILLED ZOE SPANOS is a clever and engrossing YA mystery/thriller that will keep readers guessing to the end.
I loved the premise and the twists up until the end. The ending soured my mood so this was a miss for me. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy!
I was very excited by the premise of this book. Heck, even the title grips you! I enjoyed a lot of the journey and getting to know the characters, with many popping out as possible culprits of the whodunnit. Unfortunately, I felt like the ending fell very flat and didn't jive with the rest of the book. In a mystery you expect to have some kind of twist but this twist didn't feel earned and it cheapened the rest of the story. I am super picky with mysteries and I am disappointed in the endings more often than not, so take my opinion with a grain of salt! I highly encourage looking up other reviews to see what other folks have to say.
Anna just landed a dream job as a nanny to a sweet little girl for a rich family in the Hamptons for the entire summer. Not only is Paisley the easiest kid to watch, but she is given the freedom to explore Herron Mills with Paisley during the day and has the pool house to herself every night. This is just the kind of new start Anna needed after a rough year of partying and getting in trouble back in Brooklyn. Anna's ready to start the next chapter in her life story, and Herron Mills is the perfect opportunity reacquaint herself with responsibility and to focus on her future. But then she starts getting strange looks, and people start mistaking her for a girl named Zoe. Zoe, the young girl who went missing just a few months prior. Zoe, whose family and friends are still looking for her, hoping she's just run off. But when Zoe's body is found, not only does that hope disintegrate, but so does Anna's fresh start. Because Anna is starting to realize she's been to Herron Mills before... and that she knew Zoe before she disappeared. Did Anna have something to do with Zoe's death? And how does Anna have memories of a person and a place she swears she's never visited before?

Thoughts: Absolutely captivating! Full disclosure: I read the ebook and listened to the audiobook at the same time, which made this even more tense and interesting. Reading the ebook was a bit confusing at times because there are alternating chapters between Anna now (after Zoe's body is discovered) and Anna at the beginning of the summer, when everyone thought Zoe was missing but still had some hope she might return, and there are a few chapters from a third character's perspective and even a few podcast episodes. So it does jump around a bit. And a few of the podcasts reveal information that hasn't been known to or acknowledged by Anna yet, so some are spoilers for the reader. But regardless, I was riveted by this story. Anna is the quintessential unreliable narrator, with memories she shouldn't have but also seem iron-clad in their realistic possibilities. There's a cast of secondary characters who will keep readers guessing as to their motives as well as their importance to the story itself, and none of them are forgettable. This mystery truly had me stumped, and readers may find themselves lulled into a false sense of security before realizing there's much more to this story.
I have not been a big fan of YA thrillers recently. But this changed that for me! I loved all the twists and turns the book took. It was so much fun and I absolutely loved the setting. I think this is a fun book for YA readers. I really enjoyed the depth of the characters and how you couldn't figure out who to trust or who not to trust. It felt like a YA version of Turn of the Key (one of my all-time fave books) and I really liked that!
I really, really, really wanted to like this book but something just felt flat with it for me. It didn’t hold my interest the way I thought it would and it took me too long to remember what was happening every time I picked it up. Not for me but I know many will love!
Young fans of Gone Girl will enjoy this one.

The book has a really long build up for what I thought was not so much payoff.  I felt like all the mystery was crammed in the last 50 pages instead of spread across the book.
This was a fun and twisted mystery. Frick has mastered the unreliable narrator trope and used it in a magnificent way where it became a part of the plot. The pacing was superb and I can't wait to read more from Kit Frick.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of I Killed Zoe Spanos in exchange for an honest review!

I'm finally here with my review! I let this one stew a bit which honestly helped me realize that this one wasn't a favorite for me. I love the premise & the writing is phenomenal, but in the end, I found that I just really didn't care about the characters.

With that being said, prior to getting to the ~plot twist~, I still really wanted to know what the heck was going on. It's very twisty-turny & I think fans of YA thrillers should still check it out! In the long run, this just isn't a book that's going to stick with me whatsoever.
I was provided an eARC of this book to read before I interviewed the author for a book festival (set for 2020 so of course it had to be postponed).  I'm still fairly new to YA, and am naively surprised by how good the books I've been reading are!  This was a great book with lots of turns and twists and is considered a thriller.  I was kept guessing and the author did it well.
Anna Cicconi takes up a summer job as a nanny in Herron Hill, a small village in the Hamptons. But, when she arrives, she is in the thick of the disappearance of Zoe Spanos. This does not help Anna's case who looks mysteriously like the missing Zoe.

As we dive deeper into the disappearance of Zoe Spanos, we get hints of Anna's life and the past and present notions of her life as the investigation of Zoe Spanos continues on.

I gave I killed Zoe Spanos 3.5 stars. I did enjoy parts of this novel but I felt like it didn't hold as much attention that a murder mystery novel like this book would hold. There were many different aspects to the way Anna is displayed and sometimes there were just some situations were I was just slightly irritated with Anna.

I am a huge fan of murder mystery but something about I Killed Zoe Spanos didn't really hit the marks for me. Which, is why I've always been very picky when it comes to crime fiction and murder mysteries.

I felt like I Killed Zoe Spanos didn't have the aspects of crime, there was not much of an investigation, except for the short excerpts of Anna being interviewed throughout the book. With murder mystery, there was some thing that did not bring satisfaction to me when reading.

Thank you again to NetGalley for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review
I'm going to start off by saying that I normally do not read thrillers/mysteries, but this one is just amazing. There are so many fun twists and turns that leave you shooketh!

I had so many questions while reading this that I thought I had the answers to, but then something would happen that would just completely change everything! I love it when books get you thinking that it's one thing and then it swerves a different way that you weren't expecting.

Anyways, overall I absolutely loved it! I would definitely recommend to anyone who loves thrillers/mysteries or just anyone in general!
Social Justice Topics:
▪️Women’s Rights

Grade Level: 9th and up

I Killed Zoey Spanos is a nail-biting YA psychological thriller. Frick’s nonlinear timeline and points of view—the perspective of the suspected killer and the perspective of a teen podcaster—make this book really hard to put down. Perfect for high schoolers, this book would be rated PG-13 due to language and some content.
A gripping whodunnit that examines the stability of memory, the precarity of identity, and the intensity of coming of age. The unreliable narrator had me hooked the entire time!
I just couldn't get into this one. I tried the audiobook to get into it because I wanted to try and get a review up but I just didn't click with it.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy.

This book took forever for me to get through. I loved the idea of the part podcast format, especially since I loved Sadie. But unlike Sadie, the alternating format/POV is a little sloppy. The plot moves very slowly and felt bogged down with quite a bit of filler that really didn’t seem to matter. Things didn’t really pick up until the last quarter of the book. I honestly would’ve stopped reading if I had been about to find a summary of the end but I couldn’t. Despite not feeling terribly invested in any character or the story, I still wanted to know how it ended. I think mostly because I felt confused more than anything. The end is wrapped up neatly, although I found it all to be quite absurd and highly unlikely. I can understand why some people enjoyed this one, but it won’t be making my list of recommendations.
I didn't end up finishing this book. I think the beginning started off different than what I was expecting, and so I turned my attention to other titles. I hope to come back to it in the future, though.
I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW GOOD THIS BOOK IS.

There were so many possible suspects and the main character somehow thinking it was her and WOW. And the ending! I feel like it just tied everything up together so well.

Okay so, backing up. The story revolves around the main character Anna, but not really. She has a summer job in a town where a girl named Zoe went missing, presumed dead. As she hears more and more about the case. she becomes convinced that she somehow killed Zoe, even though Anna has never met or seen Zoe.

Anna is eventually charged when Zoe's body is found, but it makes little sense to a girl named Martina, who doesn't think Anna did it, despite Anna confessing. The story revolves around the two POVs of these girls as the mystery unravels.
I enjoyed the audiobook of I Killed Zoe Spanos. I’m always drawn in when a podcast is part of the story and really feel those books lend themselves to being read with my ears instead of my eyes. In this case, we know right from the start that Zoe is dead and Anna confessed. But did Anna really have anything to do with her death?

From there we see alternating timelines and I was compelled to learn what really happened. Ultimately - the ending didn’t really work for me. I don’t think this is a story that will stick with me.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the advance reading copy.