Cover Image: I Killed Zoe Spanos

I Killed Zoe Spanos

DNF @ about 25%

I can't do it fam. I was on the street team and was given an arc, but I never got beyond the first few chapters. I even switched to the audiobook because hello, full cast! But even then I'm bored. And confused. And there's only two narrators so far?? Where are the others??

I really hope someone else likes this more than me. And yes, I gave it 2 stars while DNF'ing, but I reserve 1 star ratings for books I hate. And I didn't hate this one! I just kept falling asleep to it.
β€œπ‘Ύπ’‰π’‚π’• 𝐝𝐨 π’šπ’π’– π’“π’†π’Žπ’†π’Žπ’ƒπ’†π’“, 𝑨𝒏𝒏𝒂?”

β€œπ‘° π’“π’†π’Žπ’†π’Žπ’ƒπ’†π’“ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’•π’†π’“. 𝑰𝒕 π’˜π’‚π’” π’ˆπ’“π’‚π’š 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒖𝒍𝒍, π’π’Šπ’Œπ’† 𝒂𝒏 𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒄𝒂𝒓 π’˜π’Šπ’•π’‰ π’‘π’‚π’Šπ’π’• π’˜π’π’“π’ 𝒐𝒇𝒇. 𝑰 π’“π’†π’Žπ’†π’Žπ’ƒπ’†π’“ π’Œπ’π’†π’†π’π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’ƒπ’‚π’π’Œ, π’”π’•π’‚π’“π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒂𝒄𝒓𝒐𝒔𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’” π’…π’π’˜π’ 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆. 𝑰 π’“π’†π’Žπ’†π’Žπ’ƒπ’†π’“ π’‰π’π’˜ 𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒅 π’Šπ’• π’˜π’‚π’” 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 π’π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’•, π’‰π’π’˜ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’Šπ’π’… π’˜π’‚π’” 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒑 𝒂𝒏𝒅 π’˜π’†π’• π’‚π’ˆπ’‚π’Šπ’π’”π’• π’Žπ’š π’„π’‰π’†π’†π’Œπ’”.

𝑴𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒍𝒍, 𝑰 π’“π’†π’Žπ’†π’Žπ’ƒπ’†π’“ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’ˆπ’–π’Šπ’π’•, π’‰π’π’˜ π’Šπ’• 𝒄𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’‚π’Šπ’“ 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒐𝒇 π’Žπ’š π’π’–π’π’ˆπ’”.”

Damn.

What a whirlwind of wild this little beauty turned out to be.

I Killed Zoe Spanos is told from two POVs – Anna Cicconi, the main lead and prime suspect in the disappearance and murder of Zoe after a shocking confession, and Martina Green, a friend of Zoe’s younger sister with aspiring journalistic dreams and a promise to find out what really happened. The story flips between the present and two months prior, before Anna confesses to killing Zoe. It documents Anna’s time in the Hamptons working as a nanny for the summer for a prominent family, how she discovers and learns about the disappearance of Zoe Spanos, and how she eventually confesses to killing her.

Confused?

As you should be.

β€œπ‘΄π’‚π’šπ’ƒπ’† 𝑰 π’•π’‰π’π’–π’ˆπ’‰π’• π’Šπ’•β€™π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’π’–π’π’… 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’†π’…. π‘΄π’‚π’šπ’ƒπ’† 𝑰 π’˜π’‚π’” π’•π’“π’šπ’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒕𝒐 π’Žπ’‚π’Œπ’† π’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆπ’” π’“π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’•.”

Anna is from Bay Ridge in Brooklyn where she has spent way too much time drinking heavily and taking party favors, in the hopes that her mother might pay attention to her. But Anna wants to change. She wants a break from the relentless fog and partying, so she takes a summer job in the Hamptons. But upon arriving to this new place, she learns of the odd disappearance of a girl named Zoe Spanos. On New Years Eve, Zoe vanished without a trace. With little clues as to what had happened to her, and even less motive for foul play.

But what Anna quickly learns upon arriving in the Hamptons, is that she bares a striking and eerie resemblance to Zoe. Some would say, an almost identical resemblance.

β€œπ‘΄π’‚π’Œπ’† π’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆπ’” π’“π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’•?” 𝑻𝒉𝒆 π’…π’†π’•π’†π’„π’•π’Šπ’—π’† 𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒔 𝑨𝒏𝒏𝒂’𝒔 π’˜π’π’“π’…π’” π’ƒπ’‚π’„π’Œ 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒓.

And as Anna begins to learn more about Zoe through locals who mistake her for the missing girl, friends and news articles, Anna begins to fall deeper and deeper into the intricacies and mysteries surrounding the case. And to a point where secrets, truth, lies and blurred lines begin to reveal themselves.

β€œπ‘°π’ π’”π’π’Žπ’† π’”π’Žπ’‚π’π’ π’˜π’‚π’š. 𝑨𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝑰’𝒅 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒆. 𝑰𝒕 π’˜π’‚π’” 𝒂𝒏 π’‚π’„π’„π’Šπ’…π’†π’π’•, 𝒃𝒖𝒕…

𝑰 π‘²π’Šπ’π’π’†π’… 𝒁𝒐𝒆 𝑺𝒑𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒔.”

This shit gets a liiiiiittle crazy.

From the beginning, Anna starts dropping little hints about her life back home. It consists of a lot of partying and activities that fuzzy up the mind, and gives the reader an overwhelming sense that she is running from something. Murder, you say?! Hmmm…maybe so. But what’s really interesting about Anna’s character is that you never really get a solid read on her. She’s a bit of an enigma shrouded in hazy darkness, and it seems as if only the top few layers of her are pulled away. She’s like an onion…you know the saying.

But what really started to intrigue me about Anna, besides her need to leave her past behaviors behind, was her constant forgetfulness.

Here is a girl who obviously isn’t a hardcore drug user, and sure…she seems to have a bit of a pull towards the bottles of alcohol that she notices, but nothing to suggest she has a serious problem with substances. Which is the only reason I was coming up with for why she would be forgetting things randomly, to the point where the little girl she was nannying was constantly reminding her of conversations and clearly exasperated for having to do so. Obviously there’s a rhyme and a reason for this odd behavior, but the way it is executed had me swooning.

Kit Frick was meant to write mystery thrillers. She knows how to create an eerie yet familiar personality in a character that feels authentic, but has ever so slightly had sprinkles of slight paranoia and hysteria woven in to make the reader question the sanity of the MC. And not only does she make the reader both trust and question Anna, but she adds in other multiple characters that feel innocent and guilty all at once.

β€œπ’€π’π’– 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 π’ˆπ’,” π‘ͺ𝒂𝒅𝒆𝒏 π’”π’‚π’šπ’” 𝒂𝒔 π‘°β€™π’Ž π’‚π’π’“π’†π’‚π’…π’š π’•π’–π’“π’π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’•π’π’˜π’‚π’“π’…π’” 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒐𝒓, π’“π’†π’‚π’…π’š 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆 π‘Ύπ’Šπ’π’…π’†π’“π’Žπ’†π’“π’† 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏. π‘΄π’‚π’šπ’ƒπ’† π‘·π’‚π’Šπ’”π’π’†π’š π’˜π’‚π’” π’“π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’•. π‘»π’‰π’Šπ’” 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝐒𝐬 𝒉𝒂𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅. 𝑡𝒐𝒕 π’ƒπ’š 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒅, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’ƒπ’š 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’‡π’π’Šπ’π’•π’š 𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’π’Šπ’—π’Šπ’π’ˆ.”

I’ll be honest, I had no idea who in the hell the murderer was until the murderer was actually revealed. And even then, I didn’t believe it. There are SO MANY characters who are perfect suspects and have clear motives. SO MANY characters who act strangely and suspiciously. Who seem to always be covering things up or sweeping clues into a rolled up rug and throwing it into the ocean.

Its all.

Very.

Suspish.

But isn’t that what we love? To be hit at the knees and have a bag pulled over our heads? And in true murder mystery form, we get to play detective alongside the characters. Throughout the story the POV switches over to Martina Green and her podcasts episode transcripts where she is trying to find out what happened to Zoe. She discusses police reports, insider information from the family, possible suspects, and even points the finger at the boyfriend.

Because it’s always the boyfriend.

β€œπ‘»π’‰π’Šπ’” π’ƒπ’π’š π’Šπ’” 𝒂 π’”π’•π’“π’‚π’π’ˆπ’†π’“, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒂 π’”π’π’Šπ’‘π’‘π’†π’“π’š π’Žπ’π’Žπ’†π’π’• 𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒐𝒖𝒓 π’π’Šπ’—π’†π’” π’Šπ’π’•π’†π’“π’•π’˜π’Šπ’π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝒐𝒖𝒓 π’…π’‚π’“π’Œπ’†π’”π’• 𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒆𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 π’π’‚π’Šπ’… 𝒃𝒂𝒓𝒆 π’Šπ’ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’ π’π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’• π’‚π’Šπ’“.”

Though of course, nothing is ever as it seems, is it?

And without giving anything away, I just need to comment on the ending. Sure I was totally blindsided, but do I realllyyyyyy believe that ending?

Meh.

It’s questionable.

I felt like some conversations and relationships weren’t tied up. I wanted a convo between the murderer and…a prominent character to take place, but it didn’t. I wanted to see the TRUE feelings and thoughts of the murderer, but all I got was the confession and facts. But then again…that is the most authentic way to end a story like this, isn’t it? When do we ever really get the full details on murders and heinous crimes?

Maybe if it involves Ed Kemper, but he’s a unicorn.

Anyways.

This mystery kicked ass and finally got me out of my reading slump. It may be because there was murder in it, which seems to be my happy place lately (don’t you fucking judge me) and the only genre to keep me interested. But I will say, that little situation with Star and the conclusion of that was a bit…anti-climatic, no? Like realllyyy? That’s how that ties up? With a slapped on band-aid and a shrug?

Oh okay.
What an interesting YA murder mystery full of good twists and turns! There's something about mystery novels set during the summer that just work so well (and it's set in the Hamptons?!). The story is told with a timeline that switches back and forth to the past vs. present while also having elements of a true crime podcast, Missing Zoe, that narrate your way through. I highly, highly recommend this to YA readers...even if you don't normally like mystery novels. This one will change your mind!
I can see why this is the YA book of the summer! I quite enjoyed it and there were some twisty turns in the narrative that kept me on my toes. I also liked the podcast element. I recommend for anyone looking for a YA thriller for a summer read.
Tonight! We’re joined by author, Kit Frick. WIll she spoil her book? Will she burn books in a metaphorical sense? Only one fun way to find out. Give a listen now!

What happened to Zoe won’t stay buried… When Anna Cicconi arrives to the small Hamptons village of Herron Mills for a summer nanny gig, she has high hopes for a fresh start. What she finds instead is a community on edge after the disappearance of Zoe Spanos, a local girl who has been missing since New Year’s Eve. Anna bears an eerie resemblance to Zoe, and her mere presence in town stirs up still-raw feelings about the unsolved case. As Anna delves deeper into the mystery, stepping further and further into Zoe’s life, she becomes increasingly convinced that she and Zoe are connected–and that she knows what happened to her. Two months later, Zoe’s body is found in a nearby lake, and Anna is charged with manslaughter. But Anna’s confession is riddled with holes, and Martina Green, teen host of the Missing Zoe podcast, isn’t satisfied. Did Anna really kill Zoe? And if not, can Martina’s podcast uncover the truth?
Woah. What a thrill. I absolutely cannot wait to hear my students gush about how much they loved this book. It is exactly the kind of dark mystery they are always craving.
This book was so great!! I really enjoyed it. Matter of fact, I had a hard time putting it down. I love how it made you think one thing and then totally flipped things around. Recommending this one to everyone. I love a good twisty YA thriller. This one perfectly delivered that! I cannot wait to read more by Kit Frick
Teenager Anna desperately needs a fresh start, and a nanny job in the Hamptons fits that need perfectly. But when she gets there, she discovers she looks exactly like a missing girl named Zoe, whose case is the subject of a local true crime podcast. While Anna's confusing memories and old friends try to pull her under, Zoe's body is found, and Anna is arrested-but is she confessing to a crime she didn't commit?

This book was so good! I absolutely love a mystery and/or thriller centered around a fictional podcast (which would be one of the many reasons the Six Stories series is one of my all-time favorite series). It worked really well to have the podcast host be a teenager who lives in the town, who has a personal stake in solving the crime. Frick's story had so many twists and turns and reveals, and everything made sense looking back.

I wanted more of the podcast! There were some times when an episode was just casually referenced, and readers didn't get a transcript of it. I would have liked the book to include transcripts of all the episodes, and for there to be more (and longer) episodes in general.

I definitely recommend this book! Books are always a comfort for me, especially in times like these, and this was the perfect book to distract me. It's a thriller with substance, a young adult book adults can and should read (read more YA books!), and a story that will keep you hooked.
What a fun ride!  This is a book I can't wait to hand to my teens who love true crime.  If you have readers who love podcasts like Serial and My Favorite Murder I think they will love Kit Frick's "I Killed Zoe Spanos!
I absolutely loved this book. I'm usually really good at figuring out twists but this one, no. I am definitely going to check out Kit's other books!
When Anna Cicconi arrives to the small Hamptons village of Herron Mills for a summer nanny gig, she has high hopes for a fresh start. What she finds instead is a community on edge after the disappearance of Zoe Spanos, a local girl who has been missing since New Year's Eve. Anna bears an eerie resemblance to Zoe, and her mere presence in town stirs up still-raw feelings about the unsolved case. As Anna delves deeper into the mystery, stepping further and further into Zoe's life, she becomes increasingly convinced that she and Zoe are connected--and that she knows what happened to her.

Two months later, Zoe's body is found in a nearby lake, and Anna is charged with manslaughter. But Anna's confession is riddled with holes, and Martina Green, teen host of the Missing Zoe podcast, isn't satisfied. Did Anna really kill Zoe? And if not, can Martina's podcast uncover the truth?- Goodreads

I liked this book but what I thought was going to be a slow build was pretty much slow throughout the book. What I liked was being able to read the different point of views and read the past and present.  However, the tension within this novel never actually gets resolved. Even at the end when everything is said and done it still felt like something was missing. Maybe it was Anna and her ending that felt incomplete or maybe it was how everything was wrapped up. Something was missing and that bothered me.

The story is not just told through different POVs and past and present but it is also told through a podcast. This was a nice "break" in the overall reading and it was done pretty well. What I didn't like was how the author put a Black boy within the novel to add complexity. It felt unnecessary and I say that because what was written sounded true enough but there wasn't a follow up or anything to the racial concerns that said boy had. There was also other conversations/situations added to the novel but with no follow up or real grip. It made things a bit confusing as in I was unsure where the author was going with this information.

Overall, I liked the book. I liked the who done it in the Hamptons. But I wish the book wasn't as slow and was more fleshed out.

2.5 Pickles
Good, twisty YA mystery inspired by DuMaurier’s Rebecca and true crime podcasts like Serial. You may guess a few of the answers, but you’ll never put the whole story together until the very end. An unreliable narrator, Anna gives up partying with her friends to spend the summer as a nanny in the Hamptons. She hears about Zoe, a girl she resembles, who disappeared six months earlier, and she begins to have visions of Zoe and her death. The PERFECT beach read!
I Killed Zoe Spanos by Kit Frick is a young adult thriller that is inspired by Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. This one is done in four parts with the chapters going between a then and now timeline with occasionaly there also being a transript of the podcast.

Then Anna Cicconi had been hired for a summer nanny position in the small village of Herron Mills in the Hamptons. Soon after arriving people begin to comment on how much Anna resembles Zoe Spanos who had gone missing the past New Years Eve. Anna finds that it’s no coincedence that she has so much in common with Zoe.

Now we find that Anna has confessed after Zoe’s body was found in a lake a couple of months after her fateful arrival in Herron Mills. However, not everyone is convinced Anna is guilty as her confession is full of holes so Martina Green, a teen who had been running a podcast on Zoe’s story becomes determined to get to the truth.

As complicated as the set up for I Killed Zoe Spanos by Kit Frick  may sound it actually was pretty easty to follow as it switched between the then and now and sections of the story. Not having read Rebecca myself though I really can’t give a comparison as to how much this one was inspired by it. I did however think it was an interesting story on it’s own and enjoyed reading it myself.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
I have been looking forward to reading this book since I read the synopsis months ago, and I was not disappointed.  It had a great gothic vibe and a mystery that kept you guessing the whole time.
This book is told in various timelines, which could be confusing, but it wasn’t.  You know at once that Anna has confessed to killing Zoe, but you don’t know why or how.   When then start at the beginning of summer when Anna starts her job as a nanny, and we first learn Zoe Spanos is missing.  For this book to work, you have to like Anna, and I think the author does a great job of making her a very likable character.  It helps that you are introduced to Anna as the patient-caregiver of a young girl who is trying to change her party girl ways.
The mystery is great and every time you think you know the answer there is a twist, all the way to the very end.  Though not every twist came as a surprise, I was overall surprised by the outcome.  I also like how a lot of the information about the case was told you in the form of a podcast.  I have a feeling this would be a great audiobook for that reason.
This is a perfect summer mystery and I highly recommend it!
A little slow to start, but the mystery and the twists were well worth it in the end! I really enjoyed Kit Frick's descriptions of the setting, and Anna's character throughout the entire book! Well worth it, and I'm very excited to have Kit on the podcast!
Wow I was not expecting to love this as much as I did! I typically shy away from all YA mystery/thrillers but this was definitely worth the read. I loved the format so much, it alternates between present/future & podcast transcriptions. The whole time I was completely engaged and didn't want to put it down. This would be the absolute PERFECT poolside/beach read for the summer, I almost wish I had waited to read it until vacation. I really enjoyed the plot, the characters, and the writing. This should be picked up for an Freeform show, a la Pretty Little Liars. The only thing that kept this from being a 5 star was the ending/resolution. I wish it had been given more time to naturally unfold. The reveal felt so rushed and therefore was a bit anticlimactic. Even despite that I enjoyed the rest of the book enough that I still would recommend it!
β€œFirst time in the Hamptons?” Tom asks. I turn my head toward him, tearing my eyes from the hedgerows and entrance gates that obscure what promise to be jaw-dropping houses from public view. β€œYeah. Yes. I think so, anyway.”

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I really enjoyed reading Frick's I Killed Zoe Spanos, but the story's ending didn't blow me away. I was initially captivated by the unreliable narrator and her sketchy, half-remembered details, but there was something lacking there at the end. The characters were all the same, but the Big Reveal wasn't all that remarkable. It was unexpected, yes, but also a little underwhelming. After reading the first part of the book, I had higher expectations for its conclusion.

Anna would frequently lose time, forget important details, and had an alarming number of gaps in her memory. At first, I thought she might have a mental health issue that caused her to struggle with facts and retention, but even that aspect of the story lost some of its steam towards the end. Some of her memories were explained, while others were left untouched. I wanted to know more about all of Anna's dreams and hallucinations, not just the ones that were relevant at the end. If you've read this, I'm mostly referring to the one she had about Paisley. It seemed to be the only major one not addressed.

Additionally, I felt like the adults in this book were at the root of everyone's problems, and wish that had also been elaborated on a little more. Unfortunately, we only get a few breadcrumbs regarding their involvement in Anna's life. The secondary characters were interesting, if also somewhat one-dimensional. I understood the need for secrecy, and know the lack of details only made me more suspicious of everyone. I kept wondering what they were hiding, and if this or that reaction had anything to do with Zoe.

What I didn't understand was why anyone would be attracted to Caden. He was unlikable from the start, and clearly only cared about himself. However, I thought the podcast element was very interesting, and reminded me of Courtney Summers' Sadie. We get to learn details about the past without the characters having flashbacks, and I thought it really complemented the Then and Now format.

I can't really say too much more without giving something away, but if you like unreliable narrators, suspenseful thrillers, and small beach towns, then definitely give this book a shot. I Killed Zoe Spanos held my interest and kept me on my toes, but I wanted something more from its conclusion. (β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜†)
This is an absolute delight of a thriller! The author is also an amazing human who did a lot of leg work in terms of marketing. I was proud to be on her street team!
The mystery of this book is enhanced by the constant change in time - I had to keep reading to figure out what was going to happen. That's what every mystery lover looks for. This is perfect for teen and adult readers who want to gasp from shock multiple times with reading!
Fascinating Plot that Slightly Fizzled at the End

I don't read a lot of YA, but I do read a lot of thrillers. I've seen a lot of hype about this book and decided to check it out.

I was pleasantly surprised by the content. There are enough plot twists that it took me a while to figure everything out, and the story moves along at a nice pace. The character development extends far past "awkward teenage girl every boy desires" and "scorching hot teenage boy who only has eyes for her." Everyone seems to have a secret, and their reveals are quite satisfying. That is, until the big reveal at the end. So much buildup went into the story that the climax required a bang, not a whimper. And while it might not be fair to call the ending a whimper, it was definitely not a bang.

I received this book from NetGalley, so I may not have had the final, polished version. Because of that, it's unfair of me to judge the book on mechanical errors. There were several, but I did not let that factor into my rating. Instead, I'm only considering content. This author has a fertile imagination and a good sense of story development and pacing. The book is engaging, and despite the fizzling ending, I can comfortably give it a solid four stars.
*I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is a great thriller that combines an unreliable narrator and podcast feel. Much like SADIE, this one kept me on my toes and guessing the verdict throughout! I really enjoyed the commentary on class structures, privilege, race, and mental health. Fans of THE GOOD GIRL'S GUIDE TO MURDER will definitely enjoy this twisty book!