Verse and Vengeance

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Dec 2019

Violet and her Grandma Daisy always find themselves in the middle of things. The charity bike race to raise funds for the town hall turns deadly. Unfortunately, the victim is a nemesis of Violet's.  As she looks for the why, she discovers his connections to other people in town. One of those people, being David's sister.

There are plenty of suspects to investigate and check off the list. Violet's concern to clear her friends took a few twists and turns. Were the murders committed by one person or more. While I had narrowed it down, I was still surprised by who the killer was.. The murderer had acted out of delusion and vindictiveness that was just sad. It was a good reminder that you never know what people are capable of.

The subplot, Violet's struggle to tell David about the tree and store, made for wonderful scenes, not only between the couple, but also with Grandma Daisy. Violet learned more about her heritage and may be more comfortable in her role of caretaker. She also had a visit from her father. The fact that she takes a chance  and a leap of faith proves to be the best decision for her and those she loves.

All in all, a wonderful read.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars, I liked it.

Book 4 in the series.

Thankfully, this book is a big improvement from the previous one in the series and actually kept my attention all the way through.

Emerson and Faulkner are, as always, a fun addition to the story, but I have to say, enough Walt Whitman! Dialogue can be a bit cheesy, but that's part of what makes it fun, haha.

All in all, the mystery was decent, and Violet and the magical bookshop are always fun to visit.
The bookshop has a secret that has been guarded forever by the caretakers, but is that secret about to be outed and will that mean that relationships will change because of the secret. A very interesting and entertaining murder plot is interwoven with the personal storylines of the characters making this book even more intriguing and delightful. The characters are quite well developed and their personal stories strengthen the underlying murder plot. I absolutely can't wait to see what happens in the next book in the characters' lives as things seem to be heating up for several of the characters!
This by far is my favorite series written by Amanda Flower and I love everything she writes. The setting is depicted so skillfully, I feel I could find my way around this town by descriptions alone. The characters are well layered in traits with a few loveable quirky ones who add humor to the plot. Lots of suspects with probable cause for murder but I can never seem to figure out "who done it". Also nice to see a romance blossom! Great book!
Grandma Daisy has pulled together a bicycle race to raise money to help open a museum for the town.  Violet has decided to give the race a go because her boyfriend, Chief Rainwater thought it would be a great way for them to spend some time together.  Things are going well until the two get close to the end of the race and find that one of the riders has had an accident.  The man, Redding, was in the village not that long ago giving Violet a hard time and has sense come back.  Violet worries that she might become a suspect when it is announced that the man was actually murdered.  Since he has been pack in town Violet has noticed him watching her every move.  Violet really gets upset when the first her is pointed at a friend and student of hers.  The young girl may have a few issues but there is no way she is a murderer.  The shop keeps throwing Walt Whitman's work in her path she must has to figure out what it all means.  There are so many ave is a to look into Violet worries that she won't be able to solve this one.  Follow along as she kicks into investigative mode and starts her search for a killer.  Will she be successful in the end or will she end up a victim herself.  This is such a magical read and always leaves me excited for the next book.  This book was no exception, I can't wait to see what happens next!!!
This is the first Magical Bookshop Mystery book I've read and I quite enjoyed it. There was enough backstory that I could follow along without feeling lost. It appears that each story is based around a real-life author/book, which is unique and I learned a lot about Walt Whitman and his "Leaves of Grass" as Violet tries to interpret the cryptic messages the bookstore is sending her, The story is paced well and the characters are interesting. It kept my attention right up to the end.

I was given an advance copy via NetGalley and this is my honest review.
I adore the Magical Bookshop Mystery books and am so very happy that the series has found a new home at Crooked Lane Books.  Amanda Flower is a prolific writer, among my favorite cozy mystery authors, but this series is my favorite.  Perfect for bookshop, paranormal, and pet cozy mystery fans, it is charming and the quintessential cozy.

In this installment, Violet is trying to balance her increased workload with her Grandma Daisy, newly elected Cascade Springs mayor, absences from the shop, her role as caretaker of the shop’s special tree, keeping the shop’s magical “essence” a secret, and her budding romance with police chief David Rainwater.  When private investigator Joel Redding dies in the town’s fundraising bicycle race, Violet is relieved that he will no longer be poking into the store’s secret and her life, but her student and friend Jo is at the top of David’s suspect list and has gone missing.  Violet puts on her sleuthing cap to protect her secret, determine if Joel’s death is connected to David’s ex-brother-in-law’s recent demise, and find the real killer.

The characters here are delightful.  Violet is intelligent and independent, logical and whimsical.  Grandma Daisy is an eccentric hoot.  Chief David Rainwater is my favorite character (and, I admit, a bit swoon worthy), but the animals steal the show.  Tuxedo cat Emerson and raven Faulkner are bestowed human-like qualities, and they manage to be completely believable.

The mystery is well crafted, and the pace of the book just right.  There are relatively few suspects for Violet to deal with, but I was still surprised by the killer’s identity and motive.  Victim Joel is sufficiently unlikable yet readers will still feel bad about his death.  The tale does culminate with an exciting, dangerous reveal.  Without giving away any spoilers, fans of Violet and David will be pleased with the progression of their relationship.

VERSE AND VENGEANCE is one of my best reads of 2019, and I look forward to reading many more mysteries featuring Violet.

I received and ARC of this title from Crooked Lane Books through NetGalley and voluntarily shared my thoughts here.
This is the fourth book in the magical bookshop series,  The town of Cascade Springs in in the middle of a bike race.  It is Grandma Daisy's idea.  She is using the race as a fundraiser for the Underground Railroad Museum. During the race, a private investigator that has been following Violet ends up dead.  At first it appears to be an accident  but then Chief Rainwater discovers that the investigators bike brakes were cut.
I really enjoyed this book.  There were many plot twists that I thought were well done.  I liked the details about Walt Whitman that were incorporated in the book.  I liked the side stories and the secondary characters.  I thought they added a lot to the story.  I can't wait to read more in this series.
Verse and Vengeance by Amanda Flower
Book #4: Magical Bookshop Mystery Series
Source: NetGalley and Crookled Land Books
Rating: 5/5 stars

Violet Waverly is on break!  She has finished her PhD, her classes are done for the term, and she’s meant to be enjoying her time away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life.  That’s generally easier said than done.  Violet’s bookshop is still open, her grandmother is the new mayor, and the town is gearing up for a huge fundraising event.  Oh, that pesky private eye, Joel Redding hasn’t given up his interest in Violet and her bookshop.  So much for break!

For days, Violet has spied Redding outside her bookshop poking around and generally loitering.  She has no idea what Redding knows, but if he finds out her secret and the secret of the bookshop, all good be lost for Violet and her grandmother.  As keepers of the tree, the women of Violet’s line have long cared for the tree the bookshop is literally built around and gone to great lengths to help the people of their community.  To make this knowledge public would likely endanger Violet and her grandmother as it did in decades past.  Though she can’t give away much, Violet has to know what Redding knows and try to dissuade him from further investigations.  As it happens, someone else feels the same way about Redding and arranges a tragic little accident that not only helps Violet and her grandmother, but other unknown people(s) as well.  Trouble is, by helping Violet, it’s also made her a suspect in Redding’s death.

Here we go again . . . . .

Just as soon as the death occurs, the bookshop begins offering Violet clues to solving the crime.  This time, the bookshop is offering up a little “light” reading in the form of Walt Whitman.  Both Whitman and Redding’s death are terribly complicated, and Violet finds herself with a mountain of questions and very answers.  What’s more, the further Violet digs into Redding’s death the more confused she becomes.  Somehow, her boyfriend’s sister is wrapped up in the mess, her grandmother’s pet project, the Underground Railroad Museum is connected to the whole ordeal, one of her former students is on the lam, and her wandering father is back in town with information that may help solve the crime.  With so many disparate pieces, Violet is going to have to work harder than ever to solve this mystery.

As the case trudges on and Violet continues to uncover clues, she also continues to frustrate and concern her boyfriend, Chief Rainwater.  As history has shown, the women in Violet’s family don’t fare well with love and divulging her secret could risk her budding romance with the police chief.  The trouble is, not telling Rainwater is absolutely causing problems and trusting David feels like the right thing to do.  With David on her side and fully in the loop, there’s really not much that can stop the two from continuing to enjoy one another’s company and solving a most perplexing crime.  Taking a chance never hurt anyone, right?

The Bottom Line:  As a series grows, it is often hard for the author to keep the storylines fresh and interesting.  Thankfully, that has not yet been a problem with Magical Bookshop Mystery series.  Violet continues to grow as a character, her life in Cascade Springs is certainly evolving, and the other characters are growing and changing right along with Violet.  While I am admittedly a huge fan of characters and characterization, I think what I love most about this series is its rich environment and the emphasis on literature and reading.  It isn’t a “You must read!” sort of thing, but an element of the story that not only helps solve the crime du jour but also introduces the reader to some of the history surrounding the authors the bookshop chooses for Violet.  When you add the literal environment of the bookshop and the town to the literary aspect, you have a recipe for a successful series and a world of room to grow.  This series is finding its stride and with so many authors to choose from, I see nothing but a promising future for this series.
Verse and Vengeance by Amanda Flower is book 4 in the Magical Bookshop Mystery series. I am a huge fan of this series and this one did not disappoint.
Cascade Springs is having a bicycle race in order to raise funds for the underground railroad museum that  Grandma Daisy is promoting. Chief Rainwater wants Violet to ride in the race with him now that they are a couple.. Violet had noticed that PI Joel Redding is back in town and seems to be focused on the bookstore.  Violet feels he is targeting her and the store.. When  he shows up during the race taking pictures of her. she knows she has to find out  just what he knows. But before she can find out, Redding turns up dead on the race route and the bike has been tampered with. When a former student of Violet's becomes the main suspect , she is again on the hunt for the murderer.
There are plenty of suspects that have you guessing to the very end.
This is an enjoyable, easy to read cozy with a great setting and relatable characters.
I was given an ARC by NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review.
I don't know what it is about Winter that makes me love cozy mysteries more than usual, but this Winter is no exception. I loved the magical little book shop (though I am 100% over Walt Whitman) and adored Violet's grandma..I'm looking forward to the next book!

Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.

I absolutely loved this book! Everything I've been hoping would happen in Violet's life has come together in a happy way. There were times when she doubted people that she considered friends, but everything worked out and the killer was caught. I was really surprised by the reveal too and had never suspected that person. (Although I can't say that I'm sorry it was that person lol). I don't want to say too much, because there are a number of spoilers in the book. Any fans of Violet and David will be well-pleased.

Grandma Daisy has always been a favorite character, and in this book, Richard who was one of Violet's professors at the college when she was getting her degree, had started working at the bookshop. There was a certain lady he liked a lot, and I was wondering if he'd ever get up the nerve to take her out. It was cool getting to know him a little bit better by reading about his working in the shop during the summer.

I've loved this series since the first book I read and always anxiously wait for the next book! I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  Violet is now the caretaker of the Magical bookstore. and its Essence that chooses the perfect book for customers and helps solve crimes.  She is ably aided by a cat named Emerson and a bird names Faulkner as she attempts to protect her identity whilst solving the murder of the investigator who may have rumbled to her secret.  The women who inherit the gift and the responsibility try to keep anyone from guessing.  But if Violet has any hope of a successful relationship with her boyfriend, who just happens to be the Chief of Police, she may have to confess.
It’s a quandary for her but it is not the only one.  She needs to find out what the investigator figured out before his death.  She also wants to exonerate her student who is somehow deeply involved in the mystery.  She is also trying to help her grandmother who is mayor of the village.  And if that was not enough, her long missing father has turned up in her life and she must decide if he deserves a place there.
There is a lot going on between the magic and the mystery.  The characters are interesting but you will fall in love with Emerson.  He may not be magical but he is very special.  I even like the Niagara setting.  It almost becomes a character in the story.
I do confess I did suspect the killer but it did not spoil my enjoyment.  Five purrs and two paws up.
Fun story in a fun series.   Well-written and  a fast read!  I am enjoying this series and love the characters.
I enjoyed this cosy mystery very much, truly recommend this book.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher.
I loved this installment of the magic bookshop series. Violet and Daisy are two of my favorite characters and every time they work together, I get the pleasure of visiting with friends.
Daisy has come up with a fun way to raise money for the library restoration, a bike race!
Violet and her significant other, Raintree, are participating in the event, and it was certainly the last place Violet thought she'd discover a body!
Unfortunately for Violet, the victim has been asking a lot of questions about Violet and her grandmother, as well as the magical bookshop.

I enjoyed the story very much, and this story will appeal to all mystery lovers.
This has been my favorite Amanda Flower series of them all (with the Amish Candy Shop series a close second). This one fell a little flat for me compared to previous books - I was completely OVER Jo and her constant disappearing act. I appreciated the twists in the story, although I still had logistical questions when it was all said and done. I enjoyed the historical pieces about Walt Whitman, even though I don't care for his poetry.

One of the things I enjoy about this series is that you don't have to have read - or liked - the book that the shop is focused on to completely enjoy the story. Fans of the series should be sure to check this one out.
There are many suspects for the crime and it's not who u think. I could not put it down and read it in one sitting such a great read.
Verse and Vengeance by Amanda Flower is the fourth A Magical Bookshop Mystery.  There is a delightful cast of characters in this magical tale.  Violet Waverly has just finished teaching another semester at the local college as well as defending her dissertation which has earned her the right to put doctor before her name.  She is looking forward to working in the shop and spending time with her boyfriend, Chief David Rainwater.  Daisy Waverly is Violet’s grandmother and the new mayor of Cascade Springs.  Things are never dull when Daisy is around.  She came up with the idea for the Cascade Springs Underground Railroad Museum and ran short of funding when issues were discovered with the foundation of the Village Hall.  There is Emerson the tuxedo cat that manages to follow Violet around the village (a master escape artist) and Faulkner is the crow that resides in the magical birch tree and calls out unique quotes as well as dropping books into Violet’s path.  There are a variety of charming residents and shop owners plus a curmudgeon or two.  I just love the descriptions of this quant town.  There are some adorable shops and it is close to Niagara Falls.  The mystery was multifaceted with several suspects and good clues.  While I could identify the guilty party, it took longer to figure out the why. This was a unique whodunit.  I like how everything tied together.  Amanda crafted a unique mystery that tied in Walt Whitman.  I especially enjoyed how literature with the help of the essence tied into the whodunit.  Verse and Vengeance also has romance with David and Violet at the forefront, but there is also Daisy and a certain fellow who is smitten with her.  Plus, Violet’s department chair might finally work up the nerve to ask out a certain librarian.  There is humor sprinkled throughout the story that had me chuckling.  That Emerson is quite a character.  Thanks to Amanda Flower’s descriptions, I could envision that cat in Violet’s bicycle basket. Violet’s father returns which brings up old feelings of resentment and confusion.  Can Violet and her father find a way to move forward?  Verse and Vengeance can be read as a standalone for those new to the series, but why would you not want to read all the books in this enchanting series.  The ending of Verse and Vengeance is very special, and I cannot wait for the next book in this enchanting series.  Verse and Vengeance is a spellbinding tale with an enigmatic essence, perplexing poetry, a curious cat, dynamic Daisy, a pesky PI, and a flawed foundation.
Amanda Flowers
Verse and Vengeance.
It was lovely to return to Cascade Springs and visit Charming Books.
Which we had a town like this !
Grandma Daisy and Violet are fun.
Violet seams to attract danger in trying to solve this mystery.
Brilliant plot, I enjoyed this immensely.
Amanda Flowers books are amazing love this author.
Thanks to Crooked Lane books and NetGalley for my advance copy.
If I could give this book more stars I would ⭐️