Cover Image: Verse and Vengeance

Verse and Vengeance

Amanda Flower has such a fabulous way of storytelling. The newest addition to her Magical Bookshop Mystery series was everything I was hoping for and more. You follow the amateur sleuthing adventures of Violet Waverly who runs a bookshop that may or may not have a giant magical tree in the center of it. Definitely a cozy mystery series to look out for!
Sometimes the measure of an authors success is when they convince the reader to further explore a topic that they just read about.  Such is the case with the Magical Bookshop Mysteries.  Each book in the series sets upon a book in literature that the Magical Bookshop puts in front of the series' protagonist, Violet so she can start to put together clues to solve the latest murder mystery to hit their wondrous hamlet of Cascade Springs, NY. This one had a whole cast of curious suspects and the story flowed like the magical aquifers of the town's springs.  Very nice story, kept my attention, the characters are engaging.
Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane for an ARC of this story in exchange for my honest thoughts.  I also had it added to our library's collection.
This is book 4 in the Magical Bookshop cozy series and it can be read as a stand alone.  Amanda Flower does a good job of bringing all the background you need without being boring.  Violet has basically taken over the bookstore from her Grandmother Daisy so Daisy is helping the town raise funds for building an Underground Railroad Museum.  A bike race is scheduled and a private detective from a previous book is found dead with a copy of a Walt Whitman book in his bike basket.  The bookstore's magic keeps giving Violet clues to the murder and she and boyfriend David need to solve before Violet becomes the next victim.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
An excellent continuation of Flower's Magic Bookshop Mystery series! I suggest readers read these books chronologically, but I would recommend to readers of cozies and whodunnits.
Verse and Vengeance is another exciting installment in Flower's Magical Bookshop mystery series. Violet finds herself participating in the town's bike race to raise money for the town's new Underground Railroad museum, the brainchild of her own grandmother. Things seem to be going good until during the middle of the bike race one of the participants is found dead. When the person dead turns out to be the PI investigating Violet, she has no choice but to try and solve this mystery.

Flower does a great job at setting up a perplexing mystery with a lot of different suspects including one of Violet's students. The mystery since it hits so close to home also forces Violet to decide whether or not to let her boyfriend/police chief in on her secret about her magical bookshop. Adding to Violet's conflict is the arrival of her father who she just found and is conflicted about. Flower does a great job at using this mystery to test her main character and give her the opportunity to face these personal obstacles. The book grabs the reader's attention from the very beginning and never lets go. Overall Verse and Vengeance proves to be a great read that I would most definitely recommend. I look forward to reading Violet's next adventure.

Received a copy of Verse and Vengeance through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Another excellent edition to a wonderful series! Full of twists and turns that leaves you wanting more and enjoying each moment until the end when the killer is caught!
Another cute book in the Magical Bookshop Mystery series. As always, Violet gets caught up in another murder investigation and Charming Books is helping her solve it with clues from Walt Whitman's poetry.
I enjoyed the story and the characters in it. I do think David Rainwater seemed like a slightly different character in this book. I'm not sure why but he didn't always seem like himself to me. I also LOVE grandma Daisy and want more of her in every book!
I will definitely be looking forward to the next book in the series!
Violet Waverly, the Caretaker of Charming Books in Cascade Springs, is settling in to her new position after completing her PhD.  But it seems a bit strange that the reporter who was following her a few months ago trying to find her secret, has returned and is watching again.  Violet's boyfriend, David Rainwater, chief of police, has asked her to ride with him in the bike race fundraiser and during the race, the reporter whizzes by and is found dead at the bottom of a windy curve.  Was it something related to Violet that caused his death?  The magical tree in the Bookshop seems to keep pointing her to Walt Whitman.  What will Violet find in his poetry?

The writer has created a whimsical setting with believable characters as well as adding characters that add a touch of magic.  Looking forward to visiting Cascade Springs often!
I love a good cozy mystery and if you through in the supernatural, and adorable animals in always there. I highly enjoyed reading this.
This is the 4th book in the Magical Bookshop Mystery series.  This was an enjoyable cozy mystery with charming characters and a plot that kept me interested until the end.  I highly recommend not only this book but the entire series.

Thanks to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Verse and Vengeance, the fourth book in the Magical Bookshop series, by Amanda Flower, not only is a roller coaster ride of “Who done its”, but it’s also a captivating bit of Civil War history...and definitely not in the dry sense! With its colorful and quirky characters, and notable locale, the story is nonstop from beginning to very surprising ending. With each book I read by this author, I am always so entertained by the sense of subtle, and at times not so subtle, humor she has crafted into her characters. As with the previous books in this series, the ending has only left me on anxious with anticipation for what’s next for Rainwater and Violet!

This ARC book was complimentary, provided by the Publisher and NetGalley. I am voluntarily providing my honest review.
Another fun cozy by Amanda Flower. I love everything she writes. She always has great characters with just the right amount of quirk.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book, which I voluntarily chose to review.
I just love this series. I really enjoyed this installment. Such a good mystery and lovely characters. Can't wait to read more in the series!
Violet is being watched. Watched by the same pesky PI who made her life difficult in the last book, Murders and Metaphors, when she had the task of helping local baker and good friend, Lacey. The last place Violet expected to see Redding was on a bike during the Tour de  Cascade Springs, fundrasier bike ride. Violet agreed to the 30 mile ride as an act of love, love for police chief David Rainwater, her boyfriend. Rainwater was not privy to the magic of the bookshop and its essence as Violet hasn't gotten up the nerve to share this very special secret with him for fear of his reaction. Violet 's vulnerability makes her such a likeable character, someone you feel as if you can relate to. Someone who doesn't go looking for mysteries but thanks to the Charmed Books bookstore they find her. So there is Redding dressed for afternoon brunch, on a bike snapping pictures of Violet. Next thing you know, he is in the middle of the road, dead. Does it relate to the mysterious death at Niagra Falls, was his brake line cut by Bobby the bike shop owner or maybe Jo, his part time worker and Violet's most gifted lit student. The store quite literally throws Walt Whitman's book Green Leaves in Violet's path left and right in an attempt to lead her to the answers and Grandma aka Mayor Daisy keeps trying to lead Violet to telling the truth to David about just how special the Waverly women are. Violet learns much in this adventure  about town history, fami,y history, and even personal  history. Great story with a nice amount of magic, mystery, and romance to keep me on the edge of my seat turning pages. Really liked the ending!
I love this series and this installment was a great addition.  I love the characters in this charming town, even the animals.  It is a great paranormal cozy mystery.
Many thanks to Crooked Lane Books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Title:  Verse and Vengeance

Author:  Amanda Flower

Series: A Magical Bookshop Mystery book 4

Pages:307

Genre: cozy Mystery

Rating: 4 Stars

Publisher: Crooked Lane Books

Verse and Vengeance is the fourth book in the A Magical Bookshop Mystery series, Violet has entered a bicycle race with her boyfriend police chief David Rainwater that ends with both of them finding a dead body.
     No Violet must try to solve the murder even though David doesn’t want her to in order to keep herself from becoming the next suspect all while keeping a very big secret for David because she thinks telling him will drive him away.

I will admit that this is my favorite of the series so far. I loved the end even if it left me a slight cliff hanger. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Amanda Flower is probably one of the heavyweights in the contemporary cozy mystery market. Everything that she has written is absolutely brilliant. I don't believe my praise is just because I am a fan either. Her style of writing is so wonderful and does not leave you thinking that the author is merely creating for the sake of publication. What she produces is quality work that demonstrates a passion for her art. She has a number of series' on the go, and this latest installment Verse and Vengeance of the Magical Bookshop Mystery was probably the best in the series.

Violet Waverly by this point has settled into her life in Cascade Springs. She is a professor in literature at the local Community College, and she also continues to work at the bookstore Charming Books owned by her family for a few generations. In this installment readers will learn a little more about the Waverly women, and the task they have of being caretakes for the tree that Charming Books is built around. We also (thankfully) get a little more romance between many of the characters as well as Violet and David Rainwater.

While not always a fan of the paranormal type mysteries this one is the perfect balance of "mystical" without being too questionable. Flower has also created a gorgeous landscape with the town of Cascade Springs. I can't lie after reading books from her Amish Candy Shop series I convinced my boyfriend while on a trip to Ohio to take a 2 hour out of the way trip to Ohio Amish Country. I am fairly certain I will be visiting a number of towns along the Niagara River in New York State if she keeps be in love with Cascade Springs.
I’ve read Amanda Flower’s Amish mysteries, but this is the first book I’ve read in this series, and I truly enjoyed it.  The little bit of “magic” from the bookstore was a fun touch, and the storyline was a good one.  It kept me guessing as to the murderer, and I loved the ending to the story. I’ll be looking forward to reading more in this series.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
Violet and her Grandma Daisy always find themselves in the middle of things. The charity bike race to raise funds for the town hall turns deadly. Unfortunately, the victim is a nemesis of Violet's.  As she looks for the why, she discovers his connections to other people in town. One of those people, being David's sister.

There are plenty of suspects to investigate and check off the list. Violet's concern to clear her friends took a few twists and turns. Were the murders committed by one person or more. While I had narrowed it down, I was still surprised by who the killer was.. The murderer had acted out of delusion and vindictiveness that was just sad. It was a good reminder that you never know what people are capable of.

The subplot, Violet's struggle to tell David about the tree and store, made for wonderful scenes, not only between the couple, but also with Grandma Daisy. Violet learned more about her heritage and may be more comfortable in her role of caretaker. She also had a visit from her father. The fact that she takes a chance  and a leap of faith proves to be the best decision for her and those she loves.

All in all, a wonderful read.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars, I liked it.

Book 4 in the series.

Thankfully, this book is a big improvement from the previous one in the series and actually kept my attention all the way through.

Emerson and Faulkner are, as always, a fun addition to the story, but I have to say, enough Walt Whitman! Dialogue can be a bit cheesy, but that's part of what makes it fun, haha.

All in all, the mystery was decent, and Violet and the magical bookshop are always fun to visit.