Cover Image: There's A Murder Afoot

There's A Murder Afoot

This is the 5th book in Vicki Delaneys Sherlock Holmes Bookshop series and it is a pretty impressive read. I have not had the pleasure of reading the previous books before starting this and I have already picked up the other 4. The writing is a refreshing pace and the characters are well fleshed out.

I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.
Bookstore owner and amateur sleuth Gemma Doyle returns to her hometown of London England to visit her parents while attending a Sherlock Holmes conference.  She takes on the investigation of the sudden death of her estranged uncle Randy when his body is discovered at the conference hotel.  Her father Henry, a retired police detective, is found standing over the body with no memory of how he got there. The two men were seen shortly before then arguing with each other.   Gemma's investigation takes her into Randy's background, a rather unsavoury one, and she encounters several oddball potential suspects.  However, the police investigation is led by a detective with a grudge against Henry and he is charged with murder and imprisoned awaiting trial   Gemma and her friend Jayne continue to pursue other leads, while working hard to get Henry released from prison.

The whodunit mystery puzzle occupies most of the story.   The London setting gives plenty of opportunity for the author is identify "things-to-see" for a first-time visitor, like the Victoria & Albert Museum.  Her knowledge of the city lends authenticity to her story-telling too. It's like a visit to the city.

This is the fifth in the Sherlock Holmes Mystery Bookshop series of mystery novels.  The previous ones have been set in Cape Cod to where Gemma emigrated after selling her London-based mystery bookshop.  There's sufficient backstory in this book to make it readable as a standalone.  Several characters from previous books feature here as fellow travellers to London with Gemma.

This is a "comfort" cozy mystery story set against the local colour of London. It is a suspenseful story with an exciting conclusion that demonstrates the author's superior story-telling ability.  She knows how to tell a story and makes this an enjoyable read.
________

I requested and received a complementary advance reading copy of this book from the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, via Netgalley.  The comments are my own.  I appreciate the opportunity to review the book.
This was probably my favorite in the series so far.  I really enjoyed the setting being in London and the descriptions of everything they visited as they tried to solve the latest whodunit.
I always dislike reviews that regurgitate the same plotline and outcome, so I won't be doing that.  However, I did notice an underlying theme throughout this latest caper, that of redemption.  Gemma's long lost uncle was many things, but honorable wasn't one of them during his life.  As the mystery unfolds, it becomes intertwined with the stories of each of the family members. Redemption of his intentions before his death and what led to it; and redemption on a smaller scale back home with Gemma's crew watching over the Emporium and some of the mishaps it endured  As an amateur sleuth, Gemma does goof on a few occasions, but with the help of her friends and family, the killer is finally brought to justice.

Thank you Netgalley and Crooked Lane for the ARC,( watch out on your left)...thoughts and opinions are my own.
Gemma Doyle and her friends travel to London for a Sherlock Holmes convention--but will Gemma's father take the fall for a felonious forger's fatality?

The 6th of January is Sherlock Holmes's birthday, and lucky for Gemma Doyle, January is also the slowest time of the year at both the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop and Emporium, and Mrs. Hudson's Tea Room. It's a good time for Gemma and her friends to travel to England for a Holmes Convention. For Gemma, the trip provides an opportunity to visit her parents, Jayne Wilson is excited about seeing all the sites London has to offer, and Ryan Ashburton just wants to spend some time with Gemma. But the trip is immediately derailed when Gemma's father Henry recognizes his brother-in-law Randolph Manning, who disappeared more than thirty years ago on the night he stole a valuable painting from his own parents.

Henry, a retired detective with Scotland Yard, has been keeping tabs on the man's career as a forger of Old Masters and he warns Randy to stay away from his family. Randy is at the conference selling his own art, a series of sketches inspired by the Holmes Canon. The ever observant Gemma notes that he isn't exactly popular with some of the other conference attendees, but when Randy is found dead after the banquet with a dazed and confused Henry Doyle standing over him, the police leap to assume his guilt. It's up to Gemma, with the help of her friends, to plunge into the lowest and vilest alleys of London to save her father from prison.

The mystery is very well played out with plenty of suspects and several good clues that will lead to a very well thought out resolution. The author does a great job of describing the places and people in the book so the reader can visualize them. It was nice to see the Cape Cod gang out of their element, while also enjoying themselves as they go sightseeing and enjoying London. The subplot of what's happening while Arthur is in charge of the shop back in New London gives the book some nice comic relief. With Pippa's job in the British Government she reminds me a lot of Mycroft Holmes and you never really know what their job is but they have a lot of pull to get things done no matter what.

I hope the author writes more books for this series so we can see what Gemma and the rest of the gang get up to, and what kind of mysteries they find themselves involved in.

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for my review.
The latest Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery by Vicki Delany, "There's a Murder Afoot," features Gemma Doyle, who owns the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop and Emporium as well as a bakery, Mrs. Hudson's Tea Room, in West London, Massachusetts. Gemma is originally from the UK, and this book has her flying back home to attend a Sherlock Holmes conference and visit her parents. Those joining her on the trip include her police detective boyfriend, Ryan, and her friend Jayne, who is the restaurant manager for the tearoom.

It's always fun when a cozy series sends the main character out of the country, and this time, it's particularly enjoyable to see the sights through the eyes of some first-time visitors to London. And if you're not a Sherlock Holmes fan, never fear. There's just enough of a Sherlock Holmes thread to intrigue Holmes fans, yet those who aren't fans will still be able to follow the plot just fine.

A big reveal happens early in the book when Gemma meets a black sheep family member she'd never even known existed. Soon, this relative is found dead at the conference, and someone close to Gemma is accused of murder, greatly complicating the trip for everyone.

For tea lovers, there are so many cups and pots of tea in this book that you'll be grinning at how tea seems to be the cure for every British ill. And at a time when so many in the world are literally ill, and that's on everyone's minds, how delightful it is to spend a few pleasant hours across the pond with Vicki Delany's charming cozy mystery.
There's a Murder Afoot by Vicki Delany is the fifth book in the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery series.  Gemma and her friends are in London for a Sherlock Holmes convention.  What is supposed to be a fun vacation turns into a murder investigation.  Gemma discovers she has an uncle she knew nothing about.  The uncle is found dead in a coat closet with Gemma's dad who is the prime suspect.  Gemma and her friends begin their own investigation to clear her father's name.  I enjoy this series although it takes a bit to warm up to Gemma.  Her character is curt and condescending at best.  The supporting characters help soften the mood and bring the entire book together.
I didn't knew Vicki Delaney previews work and i decided to start with this book There’s a Murder Afoot like standalone, but oh boy i LOVED it!
To my understanding this the 5th book to the series and i must say that i looking forward to read all of them.
Yeah I would recommend this to anyone who loves cozy mystery books!
Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Publications!
Vicki Delany has written another gem! In this book we get to see gemma in action in England. I enjoyed getting to know her family. I cant wait for the next book!
This is a new to me series and I LOVED it! How could I not? Many Sherlockian (and Benedict Cumberbatch) references and Gemma being as observant as Sherlock made my mystery loving heart beat extra fast. The author did a great job of referencing some of the characters' back stories, so while I wasn't confused, I will definitely be reading the previous books! The author also did a great job of keeping me guessing so I didn't guess who the murderer was. This was truly a fun cozy and I can't wait to read the next one in the series! I highly recommend! Thank you to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the copy. All opinions expressed are my own.
There’s a Murder Afoot by Vicki Delaney is the 5th installment in Vicki Delano’s Sherlock Holmes Bookshop mystery series. When Gemma and her friends travel to England for a Holmes Convention, they find mystery when Gemma’s father recognizes his brother-in-law Randolph who vanished 30 years ago on the night he stole a valuable painting. Gemma’s father wants nothing to do with the black sheep of the family and when that same black sheep, Randall, is found murdered with Gemma’s father standing over him, Gemma needs to find the real killer before her dad disappears for thirty years. Good book with good characters. Description of London and Gemma were very interesting. Thank you to Net Galley for providing an advanced reader’s copy for review.
In this book the gang goes to London.  It was nice having the main female character "show" the reader around London, her home town.  It did seem to drag on a bit, which was unusual compared to the other books in the series.  Looking forward to the next in the series, with the gang back home in the U.S.A.
This is my first attempt at reading a Vicki Delany mystery novel and I would have to say I was happily surprised and equally impressed.  I understand that this book is the 5th in the series, and I for one, look forward to reading her first 4 books.

I really enjoyed this Sherlock Holmes Mystery series. The story is fast paced and exciting, and the author has a flair for respecting the old Sherlock, with a surprising refreshness, in her approach.  I particularly liked this trip to London and getting to know Gemma's family, though I did miss West London and the bookshop. The mystery was interesting and fun along the way.

I would like to thank Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the advance digital copy.
This is one of my favorite mystery series and the newest one does not disappoint, I really enjoy the authors writing style and can't wait for the next one
Thank you to Net Galley and Crooked Lane Publications for the free advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed the latest entry in Vicki Delany's Sherlock Holmes Bookshop series.  This fifth entry takes place in London. Gemma Doyle is an Englishwoman who owns a Sherlock Holmes bookshop on Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
Gemma returns to London to accept an award for her uncle Arthur who is elderly and does not wish to travel.  The convention is, of course, an annual Sherlock Holmes convention.  She is happy to be able to go back and see her parents and her sister.  A lot of the gang from the States travels with her too.   However, she did leave Arthur and her employee Ashleigh in charge of the book store on Cape Cod.  Her phone calls back are quite funny.
Gemma is pulled into the murder investigation when her mother's younger brother is murdered and her father, a former police officer, is found over the body with no memory.  Randolph was the black sheep of the family. He was a long accomplished art forger.   Although it appears that he had wanted to go straight.
London and its charms are very much front and center in this novel. Vicki Delany brings authenticity to her descriptions. I have spent some time in London.  I felt like I was there visiting the different places.
I have read many books by Vicki Delany.  She is an incredible writer.  Her plots are enjoyable and well thought out.  I recommend her highly.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  Gemma returns to her hometown of London with her American friends who are attending a Sherlock Holmes convention.  It is great reconnecting with family except for the one black sheep uncle, heretofore unknown to Gemma, who is there flogging some very unique but unsettling artwork.  It appears he has a history of forging and stealing so it is not so odd that he is the victim in this story.  But it is Gemma’s dad, a retired copper, who is found with the body and has had a public confrontation prior to the murder.
Gemma and her friends believe there is much more to the murder and with the help of her sister who has a nebulous but high ranking government position, she is able to unravel a nasty forgery ring and figure out who had enough at stake to commit murder.  It’s a fun taking the reader all over London both above and underground.  London lovers and Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy this romp through the city.
Four purrs and two paws up.
In this installment of the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery series, Gemma and the gang are in England attending a Sherlock conference. Her long-lost (more than slightly shady) uncle gets killed, and her father is found by the body with no recollection of how he got there.  Gemma’s  parents and her sister Pippa are well-drawn,  enjoyable characters, who fit in well with the rest of the group. The mystery itself is entertaining and comes to a logical and quite satisfying conclusion. There’s some extra humor thrown in with Gemma’s calls back home to see how the shop is running,  and a couple of characters I’d like to see turn up in West London in future books. All in all, another great entry in a terrific series. I received a free e-copy of this book from Netgalley in return for a fair and honest review.
This was a fast paced mystery and a great continuation of the series. I loved the London setting in this installment and meeting the new characters. Gemma’s parents were a great addition.
Many thanks to Crooked Lane Books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Title:  There’s A Murder Afoot

Author: Vicki Delany

Series: Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery

Chapters: 22

Pages: 336

Genre: Cozy Mystery

Rating: 4 stars

Publisher:  Crooked Lane Books

There’s a Murder Afoot by Vicki Delany is the newest installment in the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Series, and this one takes place in London. The first one in the series to take place across the pond. And with this one it’s easy to see that the main character Gemma Doyle who happens to share a name with the creator of Sherlock Holmes she’s meant to be a modern version of Sherlock Holmes expect she’s female.
     I have to say that this one is my favorite of the series so far, and it’s due in part to the London setting. Reading the mystery made it seem like the reader was indeed in London. As this is the 5th one in the series I do recommend not reading this one first, I recommend starting with the first book Elementary, She Read.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
A Sherlock Homes convention is the perfect premise for bookseller Gemma Doyle and her friends go to London in this continuation of an entertaining series. Gemma is excited to see her family, show off a few of her favorite sites and accept an award for her Uncle Arthur at the convention. When her estranged uncle is found murdered, with her retired father nearby, Gemma's keen powers of observation kick in as the police seem uninterested in other suspects. I really liked the descriptions of the various areas and museums in London detailed in the story. While this is the fifth book in the series, the book would do well as a intro to the series with the group being abroad.
Gemma Doyle and her friends travel to London to attend a Sherlock Holmes convention. Gemma only has to give one speech, then she and her friends can have fun being tourists and spending time with Gemma’s family.  Fun is derailed when Gemma’s father recognizes his long lost brother-in-law, Randolph. Randolph disappeared more than thirty years ago after he stole a valuable painting from his own parents. Gemma’s father, Henry, is a retired detective with Scotland Yard has kept tabs on Randolph over the years. Henry warns Randolph to stay away from his family. When Henry is found standing over Randolph’s dead body, Gemma has to clear her father’s name.

This mystery is well-written with several twists and turns along the way.  I really enjoyed meeting Gemma’s family. Her sister, Pippa, was actually one of my favorite characters in this book. Pippa is definitely mysterious especially when it comes to her job but when she is with Grant she is just a normal woman. Also when Ashleigh and Gemma talk on the phone about what is happening back at the book store is very humorous. I think this is my favorite book in the series so far.

I voluntarily agreed to read a copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own and in no way have been influenced by anyone.