Mama Needs a Minute

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Feb 2020

When a female is mother she has not much time for herself (at least when child(ren) are little. Kids want mum s attention all the time, but sometimes mum wants to be left alone. Unfortunately, kids aren't considerate yet to understand mums needs and wishes.
Mama Needs a Minute is a unique book that points out a very different perspective for kids.

I think the thought behind this book is really good: sometimes parents just need a minute to themselves. But... yes, there's a but... this story didn't feel like it was directed at kids. Showing a picture of Mom in the shower for her minute doesn't exactly explain to kids why their parents need a minute. Parents have needs, but children don't always have the mental capacity to understand that (at least at some of the young ages that frequent picture books). Some minor explanations could have really upped this novel into a higher rating.

I also don't totally agree with all of the parenting choices in this book, but that's just my personal opinion. Kids would understand Mom and them playing on their own computers. Parents... not so much. But, as a reviewer I remember that this book was most likely aimed towards kids. It doesn't necessarily need to make perfect sense.

My biggest positives are that this is definitely the type of moral that should be taught to kids, just in a better way. I also love the art style and find it very engaging and colourful. A few more edits and this book would be really great!
I loved this book so much! The illustrations showed diversity, and I love that  It shows kids that not everyone looks the same. It will get the message across that moms need alone time, but they still love you!
This is a delightful little book.  It is written and illustrated in a warm, loving way.  The book is a terrific way to teach young children of the caregiver’s need for just a break.  Importantly, it also teaches the child to use the same words when they need a break!  Highly recommended.
Adorable book! I absolutely love the artwork, and the idea behind it. It is a great way to explain to children that, for lack of better words, "Mama needs a minute!" I think this is also great for the mom's out there to read this with their children and know that there is no shame in taking a moment for themselves.
This board book was absolutely adorable. I loved the illustrations and rhyming throughout. It also held the important message for children that even though their Mama loves them very much, sometimes they need a break too. Not only to catch their own breath, but to allow the child to grow as an individual as well. It's refreshing to see this kind of book on the market, especially as a single mom who - at times - just needs a minute. I will be looking into the author's other works.

*I was given an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Having children is exhausting in so many ways you were never warned about. Like, sure, running after an active child is tiring and yeah, lots of tv has prepared you for kids refusing to eat dinner, but I don't think you can truly understand how you are both lonely and never alone until you've done it. My husband works outside the home and while he's an active involved parent when home, he truly didn't understand what I do all day until he stayed home to watch them while I was ill. How you can be busy for every second of the day, but also kind of bored?

This is all to say that there's a definite need for a book that explains to toddler/preschool age kids that sometimes Mama needs to stop playing for a moment and do one second of self care oh god I haven't showered in days

The art is cute, but my preschooler wasn't into some of the color choices. She kept pointing out when people's hair or skin was green, and it's not green like someone dying their hair green (there are plenty of other design choices to show these are alternative mamas, like tattoos, but it was the overall tint of the page that bothered her). I liked the realistic touches like tired faces and hairy legs. It showed some of the dirty truth about motherhood while remaining cute throughout. The reassurance that Mama loves her kids and loves playing with them and cuddling and reading stays even as she asks for a minute to get dressed. It's definitely a need, so I think I bumped up my rating because I want a book that helps my kids understand my need for time to myself makes me a better mom and has nothing to do with not loving them enough.

The text had an odd rhythym to it, that didn't feel consistent as I read it aloud. Perhaps after a few reads I would be able to get into the feel of it, but on the first go out loud to my kids I had real trouble. It just didn't flow in a way I liked the sound of. That's the sort of thing that, for me, separates out a book that parents like but isn't actually for kids, and a good book for kids. I think I want to like this a little more than I really did, want to recommend it a little more.
This title and cover CAPTURED me. Every mom I know needs this book (or a book like it) to remind themselves, and maybe their children, that Mom needs a minute. With that being said, I think this book's idea is superb, but I think this book's execution was lackluster.

This book started strong with fun illustrations (though not very unique or evocative) and a decent rhyme and rhythm. Then the fourth spread happened, and it all fell apart. It needed a rhyme pattern, it needed cohesion in the rhythm of the story, and it needed to go into more detail of mama's minute.

I would definitely recommend this book as a quick read for parents to have with their children if they have children that just do not understand personal time, but I think that would be the only time I would recommend this book. Everything else about it seems a bit lackluster for me.

I think this book has potential to be more, but I think this book needs more to be more.

Thanks to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I love this book for its illustrations and its message but I don't really think I would read it to a baby.
This book was quite cute. And it's true, sometimes mama needs a break, which is a nice reminder since other books tend to make mom into super-mom. My daughter liked the drawings and we'll probably read it again.
spoiler alert.. i do not have kids but i am obsessed with seeing REAL moms
but this is a kids book? like for tiny kids?
This is 100% not in my wheelhouse and also this book doesn't do it..
its a baby written book for children who can understand feelings but like for parents?

i get that this message is -- leave me alone for like 5 minutes because i need to take care of my own mental health and you are not helping.... but it needed a bit more.
id say the book is enhanced with the illustrator for sure!

i don't love this but i don't hate it
Review to come in January 2020 on blog/goodreads.

I received this picture book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I fell in love with the title of the book, and then I saw it was a picture book! Which made it even more interesting. Most books with a title like this are non-fiction and normal books. But this one actually is for parents AND their children.

This one is about a day in the life of various moms. Talking how they at times need a minute, a moment, just for themselves. Because mommies get sore. Mummies need some time alone to recharge. And no, that doesn't mean they love them any less. But mummies are only human.

Most of the pages are split up in two. One with the mummy doing something for the kid and then stating that she needs a moment, or that she wants to hug but is also sore.

The last two pages just were so lovely and I was smiling from ear to ear (and maybe also dropping a tear, I cry so easily these days).

The art was very nicely done, I like the style and I do need to check out more of this artist.

I think this is a perfect book for kids to read, or be read to. Kids just don't see that maybe mommy (and daddy) is tired. That they just need a time off, just a minute. I think this may open some eyes. :)

I would recommend it.
I received a copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

I really enjoyed this book. It made a change to the usual type of books to share with children. It shows children that a mother loves them very much and wants to spend time with them helping them grow and achieve things in life, but at the same time a mummy needs afew minutes to relax, compose herself and breath. After all a Mummy is only human too.
I really enjoyed this and thought ut was a lovely book but the illustrations could have been better.
I really appreciated this story.  As a mother of two, it was refreshing to have a story that reminded children that sometimes mama needs a minute and everything will be ok.  I loved it!
What a sweet and sentimental book for new mamas and seasoned ones as well. Sometimes mama needs a break and this reassures babe that all will be ok.

I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.

#read #reader #book #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #bookreview #greatreads #alwaysreading #reading #ilovebooks #currentreads #bookaddict #booknerd #bookish #bibliophile #goodreads #readerlife #booklife #readandreview
I enjoyed the graphic novel a lot!
I would like to thank the publisher for giving me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
We loved this book. The colours and illustrations are perfect, as is the message...we'll be reading this again and again
As a mother of a toddler I really appreciate the message that was being conveyed. I enjoyed that it showed moms being real. They had hairy legs, dirty clothes, and were honest about being tired.

I wish there was a little bit more to it. It was cute and geared more towards moms as a book to read to their kids. The flow and rhythm of the text just seemed a little off to me. I couldn’t quite “feel” the flow. I wish that the storyline had just a few more scenarios and relatable messages.
I just want to say that the message of this book is so true and refreshing! I am a mother of two girls and this is one thing they always forget; mama gets tired and needs a minute. I think this is a great gift for a new/first time mom. I will be sure to include this book in the future.
Cute and fun read, something anyone who has been a parent to a small child could relate to. Loved the art that went along with the illustrations, the pops of color were a nice touch.