Sleeping Bronty (Once Before Time Book 2)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Feb 2020

Sleeping Beauty meets dinosaurs... I'm already hooked!

Princess Bronty is a beautiful dinosaur princess! She has three little fairies who are little toucan/dinosaurs, but she also has a villain in the form of Rhonda. The remaining tale follows the path of Sleeping Beauty pretty well, with a few bumps and changes along the way.

I think this is a cute way to introduce some of the classic fairy tales to children without delving into the originals. Since the actual originals are quite dark and not everyone wants to read and watch Disney all the time, books like this can be very handy.

The art itself was fun, especially all of the dinosaurs. I also think the story was quite cute. It didn't change the story too much (which I would have liked to see) but it was still a good quality book.

My biggest con is that it changes the romance that is from Sleeping Beauty. I don't think it worked well in that regards - it felt... very odd. That always seemed like the point of Sleeping Beauty.
Cute retelling of Sleeping Beauty...with dinosaurs! Nothing unexpected, but it did make me hungry for chili.
Sleeping bronty is an adorable book. It's a spin on the fairy tale sleeping beauty. I read it aloud to my 5 year old and she loved it! I would recommend this book to friends who have little ones that love fairy tales and dinosaurs.
I love this series so much and so does my daughter!  The second book in the Once Before Time series is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, but as dinosaurs.  So, we get Sleeping Bronty!  With wonderful illustrations and just the right changes to make this a dino fairy tale, this book is fabulous!
Unfortunately this book did not upload for me on the Aldkio app from my Samsung galaxy tablet. Therefore I can not read and review it.
I adored the first book and this one was the same. Adorable and a change from your typical princess in distress story. Dinosaurs are really amazing and not just for boys. To have strong young princess dinosaurs with good friends as the theme rather than love I think the message is far more positive. I need more! I need all of these in my life. ( I mean my children’s lives lol)
A cute variation of Sleeping Beauty. One kid loved it, the other didn't enjoy the lack of magic. Lol!
After "Cinderella Rex" gave us a new twist on that fairy tale, we come to the Sleeping Beauty that we think we know and love, peopled by dinosaurs, and without any kissing.  It's again a very attractive book to look at, but once more quite silly, and again the whole dinosaur cast seems a slender hook to hang the series on.  Still, it's enjoyable, but I don't think it does as much with the story as the one that preceded it.  Three and a half stars.
A cute twist to the story we know as sleeping beauty. When Bronty is born, she's gifted with wishes from her for fairy godmothers (who happen to be dinosaurs). Of course the evil godmother puts the spell on Bronty that we all know from the original story. With cute illustrations and a few funny twists from the original story, children will enjoy reading about the dinosaurs and how they overcome the evil spell.
THis was way too simplified telling of sleeping beauty.  I did really like how they did not use true loves kiss to wake Bronty, but instead five bean chilli.  Which they also used to banish the evil queen.  The story is known, and there is really nothing to give it legs to stand against other competitors for this same retelling.
Muddled, some good moments and some bad, but ultimately not as good as the first one.

The art for Cinderella Rex was better, both feature dinosaurs with hair and wearing clothes, but this one has the dinos almost fully anthropomorphized. I liked the choices Cinderella's illustrator made for where the hair comes out of a head with horns and frills, and I liked the way the tails came out of the clothes. That one was more stylized, too, and these illustrations were more run-of-the-mill. It also was much more Disney referential than I would have liked. The fairies were pterodactyls were very cute, and Rhonda's outfit made sense with the spike but was too obviously a Maleficent costume. I just resent the idea that Disney is the design reference for folktales they do not and can not own. It also felt a bit weird to give Rhonda a name when Bronty is the only other named character and that barely counts as a name (Why not make her an Apatosaurus and call her Pat? Believe me, if a kid is already into dinos, correct nomenclature is something they care about A LOT so they're probably already miffed at the use of Bronto).

There were some charming moments in the text, I liked the moment of meeting the prince, who does not have a long neck and does not have a long tail but does have a picnic basket. That theme, of celebrating differences but still looking for the similarities, is important for kids and it simplified down to a few sentences worked. Other repetition, like saying Bronty would be queen soon, was too much. It was the last sentence on one page and the first on the next. Also, if you're going to make it clear that she will be queen and not princess (or just queen someday), her parents shouldn't just disappear. I thought I missed a page of Bronty growing up. It wouldn't take up much space to say something like "Bronty's parents were excited she would grow up and be queen so they could retire and go on a cruise" or whatever like that.

I liked the spicy chili instead of kissing, although it did feel like it leaned a bit on [book:Dragons Love Tacos|13337050]. I think this whole series blended dinosaurs and fairy tales so it appealed to all genders (although of course we all know kids who like dinos and kids who like princesses without conforming to gender stereotypes) so it makes sense that they are keeping romance out of it. Having the chili defeat the villain, though? (She runs away because it's too spicy? What?) That made no sense. Sure, they don't want to show violence, but come up with something else.

So, this book had some moments, but isn't living up to the promise of the first in the series. Pricking the long tail made sense but wasn't really taking advantage of the dinosaur anatomy (I was hoping they would save brontosaurus/apatosaurus for Rapunzel so she could let down her long neck instead of hair). Havinbg a Cinderella T rex who literally couldn't pick up her dropped show due to her short arms was clever and funny and I had hoped for a moment like that here. I'll still read a third in the series if NetGalley offers it to me, but I really hope it is more like the first.
What happened? The first book in this series was so cute. This one is juvenile, condescending, has weaker illustrations, and doesn't even make sense.

Sleeping Bronty is based on "Sleeping Beauty". But so many of the original elements are left out of the story. The fairy who curses Bronty (her name is Rhonda) doesn't do it because she's feeling left out; she's simply selfish and wants to be queen. Instead of a spindle, Bronty pricks her tail on a rosebush thorn. Rhonda then takes over the kingdom (because, apparently, Bronty's the rightful queen; we never do find out what happened to her parents). She's not woken up by a kiss, but by spicy chili. Then Bronty and the prince get rid of Rhonda by feeding her the chili and giving her hiccups so bad that she runs away.

I enjoyed Cinderella Rex because it turned "Cinderella" on its head and made the prince's fascination with her about her dancing skills, not her pretty face. Sleeping Bronty doesn't have any real romance, either... but it doesn't work as well here. The plot of "Sleeping Beauty" traditionally relies on true love's kiss to break the curse. The inclusion of hiccup-inducing chili just seems puerile. Kids might find it funny, but adult readers are liable to be unimpressed.

The illustrator for Sleeping Bronty is not the same as for Cinderella Rex. The style looks a bit different, and I wasn't as enamoured with the pictures in this one.

So this was a disappointment. I was hoping Sleeping Bronty would live up to the high standard set by Cinderella Rex. Sadly, it did not.
3,5/5. A retelling of Sleeping Beauty but with dinosaurs. Funny to read to children that already know the original tale so they can see and understand the adaptation more clearly. Very simple but well done!