Cover Image: Urban Magick

Urban Magick

I know magick exists everywhere and I do live in a midsize city, but I really couldn't get into this book as much as I had hoped. Nothing inherently wrong with it, just not for me. I am positive that other interested folks will find plenty to use in here. I am inspired a bit by it, just not enough.
Offers many useful suggestions for how we can make magick in the city, bringing new appreciation to our daily surroundings for those of us living in urban environments. Refreshing!
It's a real shame! I loved the blurb and have an interest in magik and all things esoteric.  The cover, blurb  and author's background really pulled me in. That said I found this hard to really 'take in'. It's not the way it's written it's more the subject matter of it, I think I just expected something different. However I would say if you have an interest and the book's blurb calls you  as it did me, then, do read it, For me it just was not for me. But I would read more from the author on different areas of witchy stuff as she seems to have an interesting background.
Urban Magick by Diana Rajchel focuses on connecting to the cities we live in and visit on a magical and spiritual level. She talks about becoming a city priest, focusing on harnessing the energy of the city not only for your own personal development, but also for the betterment of the city on a whole.

Diana looks at using the city's natural energy centers, it's parks/meeting places/transit systems and landmarks to amplify and direct your practice. She discusses how to better connect and immerse oneself into the city's energy and spirit through exercises and spells. This was the section of the book I enjoyed most.  As a city dweller myself I could relate to the feelings of power and connection Diana was describing when I experienced those moments in my own life.

There was also a deep dive into the history of city living and how it's developed over human history.  This was less magic based and more cultural and historical.  I found this section of the book less interesting personally, but  it was still easy to follow and interesting.

All together a good read.
This is a useful and practical guide for practicing magick in a big city setting. However, I felt like it focused too much on the bigger cities and not enough on smaller cities. Regardless, it have me some new information that I was unaware of...such as city spirits.
I'm fascinated by magic, and even though the magick with a k is occasionally not for me, I find books like 'Urban Magick' endlessly useful in broadening my own ideas of what magic can be. Most of us can't avoid living in big urban places and I was grateful to find a book that embraced the busy, ever-changing energy of city life and gave it direction. Anyone who wants to get more out of their magic and energy while living in a city should definitely give this book a try.
This was an interesting read. This would have been a good resource for me to have when I was a city dweller. I believe this will be a good resource for city witches.
It as a amazing reading! Different, explicative and innovating. There are several new ideas and proposals I am eager to work with!
This was a very interesting read as I live in a city and it was interesting to read about the spirit of the cities and the spiritual experience of a city dweller.
I like the style of writing and I think this book is full of food for thought.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
I expected a book on spells and rituals witches can perform easily in a city dwelling. While there is a little of that, this book ended up being so much more than I anticipated. Focusing on the soul or spirit of an individual city, the author takes you on a journey into how a city-dwelling witch can incorporate that into their magic. It is a very well organized book that any type of practitioner can pick up and learn a lot. Though I live in a semi-rural area, there was much that I could take away from this book. It even inspired me for numerous aspects of my Urban Fantasy series.
I chose to read this more for a reference book for a series I am writing, to see how rural magick differs from what the author describes urban magick. The book has helpful information to help me round out characters, so, it gets full marks.
This was such an interesting read.  I had no idea there was such thing as Urban Magick other than how to practice witchcraft in a city setting. After reading, it makes so much sense why I am so drawn and connected to certain cities I've lived in and not connected to others I've lived in.
Diana Rachel describes and elaborates much more on this topic. There is a priesthood in cities, and there is a way to tap into the magic of the city if you get to know it or understand it. She goes into this in Chapter One in more detail.
I was especially interested in the city life for a witch.  I loved the advice to "Expose yourself to your city by walking...taking mass transit, breathing the air, touching the water and learning its daily and seasonal rhythms to the point that you can feel it on your skin."
I'm interested to hear how city witches will use this book to improve their lives and the lives of their cities.  Very well researched and described for the layman.
This is the first book on magick I've read, and I gotta say, I'm a fan! It's very informative, and Rajchel doesn't talk down to the reader at all, or assumes that the reader know it all already.
I’m not overly sure how I feel about this book to be quite honest. It talks in terms of spirits of cities and I’m not sure I jive with that. It was well written just not for me unfortunately
Believe it or not, I absolutely love anything to do with witchcraft, and this didn't fail. A valid dissection of how magick works throughout the city, and things you can do to encourage the spirits and help heal your area, along with a really decent history of how cities were actually formed! Very up my alley, though I'm unsure how useful this would be to one whose only interest is the witchcraft side of it.
When I see a book about urban magic, I get so excited. Living in a rural or country setting, it is somewhat easier to get supplies, feel the spirits and communicate with the world around you. Spirits are everywhere and many are the same all over and some are different. How do you practice in a city with no privacy or soil or anything? It's easy if you know how. This book sets you on your way to learning about things around you. Need soil to bury something in? Flowerpots work well. Listen to the sounds around you. What do the buildings whisper to you? Magic is where you find it. This book should be read and on every shelf. Embrace the world around you and feel the magic flowing. I received this book from Net Galley and Llewellyn Publishing for a honest review.
If you live in the city and want to learn more about magick then I would totally recommend this book to you!! It teaches you how to walk with your eyes open in a world full of buildings and noise.  I loved how it teaches you to practice your way with your surrounds and not trying to just escape your city.  Learn to transform your city to your advantage and be spiritual in the city you love!
I first came across the concept of the 'spirit' of a city in a book called Chaos Monkey, which is surprisingly absent from the extensive bibliography of this book, especially as the author mentions chaos magic a few times.

The book starts out with an explanation very similar, including going into the role the inhabitants of the city play in creating the collective feel of any given city. It then goes on with a lot of references to general magical knowledge and cites various well-known books on magick, but I couldn't see a connection between this and specifically urban magick until later on when some examples are given of spells you might apply to urban situations.

I did like some of her ideas for tuning into a new city. Again, the idea of walking the city to get the feel of it was in the book I previously read, but there were some new ideas as well.  There's a long chapter about the history of cities in ancient civilisations, though Rome only got a couple of brief mentions, and some mythology loosely connected to specific cities.

The book talks about invoking energies of ancient cities but the author doesn't seem to feel you actually have to have ever visited these cities to do so. It wanders pretty far from working with the city under your feet, then offers rituals for connecting to ancient patron deities of cities you've never been to and somehow connecting that to your own city. It started losing my attention with some new agey ideas.

I got the feeling a lot of the digression was coming straight from the cited references, although in some cases it didn't ring just right. For example, the author mentions  Marduk but leaves out the bull sacrifice Marduk requires.

It then goes into urban planning and the history of garden cities, and off to the realm of making your own astral garden city and spirit hunting.

The author did make a very good point that different parts of the city would engender different energies, for example, doing financial spells in a financial district and more sedate spells in residential areas. She describes a sort of psychic vampirism, collecting energy from the collective buzz of city residents and describes a little about energy manipulation, but assumes prior knowledge of magical cleansing and grounding.

A lot of exercises are given, though many like researching buildings or lurking in places that might bring the terrorist squad out to see what you're up to aren't likely to get many takers. Still, a few original ideas.
Most people I know including myself have lived in a city most all of my life. I never looked at the place where I lived as one that is still considered nature. After reading this book I do now.
Urban Magick explained to me how , what , why and when Magick is possible while living in a city. I read this book in two days! It is engaging but more important it gives lots of examples of how to put the information given into real , practical practice. I have never looked at magick as that can be done daily or easily. Now I do.
Also the author has made this very positive and uplifting , as how healing and positive change are possible when engaging the energies available in most every city.
City dwelling folks that are on a spiritual or magickal path will find this book useful and putting into words what others have hinted at or tried to explain.
I was expecting more specific spells, etc - this is more of a book about the idea of city magic.  It talks about conceptualizing city magic (in a different way than one would conceptualize traditional woodsy ideas), city deities, etc.  I am not personally a believer, but I feel readers who understand this isn't exactly a spellbook would find a lot to like here and will be recommending it for purchase.