My Sister

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Mar 2020

This book wasn't really written for me, so I don't feel that my review of it matters much. I would be interested to hear how other transgender individuals feel about the choices Marizol and Selenis made in regards to deadnaming/gender pronouns, because while I understand the reasoning behind their choices, I also feel it could be confusing for people who are not familiar with transgender rights and experiences.
I think this book will probably be most impactful for people from communities where gender roles are strict and transgender individuals are highly discriminated against.
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

A powerful, honest memoir by two sisters -- one a star on Orange Is the New Black, one a trans woman and activist -- about transitioning, family, allyship, and the path to self-realization.

When Selenis Leyva's parents adopted a baby into their warm, loving family, Selenis was immediately smitten. The pair were always close; Selenis showered her younger sibling with affection, who in turn looked up to Selenis and followed her everywhere. The siblings realized, almost at the same moment, that the younger of the two was struggling with their identity. As Marizol transitioned and fought to define her identity, Selenis and her family struggled to support her. In My Sister, they narrate their shared journey, challenges, and triumphs.

In alternating chapters, Selenis and Marizol write honestly about the issues of violence, abuse, and discrimination that trans people and women of colour--and especially trans women of colour--experience daily. And they are open about the messiness and confusion of fully realizing oneself and being properly affirmed by others.

Profoundly moving and instructive, My Sister offers insight into the lives of two siblings learning to be their authentic selves. Ultimately, theirs is a story of hope, one that will resonate with and affirm those in the process of transitioning, watching a loved one transition, and anyone taking control of their gender or sexual identities.

When Is aw the cover I thought to myself, that glamourous woman on the left looks like someone from Orange is the New Black but the very, very, very glam version. It was!!!  That aside, this is a searing story of acceptance and sisterhood when one knows they are in the wrong body and does something about it. That can get you killed these days (as can being a woman of colour) and Selenis' acceptance and support made my eyes well up with happy tears,

This is what I call AN IMPORTANT BOOK - every school, library and social services organization should have copies of this book on their shelves. This book can save lives and foster acceptance by families, friends and the community as a whole. Buy this book. Read this book. Discuss this book.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter..get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈