The Bariatric Bible

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2020

I have been looking into variation surgery. It easy to find advice and information but so much is not that helpful.
With the Bariatric Bible I am ready. I am current.y preparing myself for surgery and feel ready for what comes next!
This is a guide in what to do before and after bariatric surgery. The author believes that genes are responsible for a persons weight, not what a person eats and exercise, and that diets are a temporary solution.
Bariatric surgery removes the excess fat on a persons’ body, it also removes sleep apnea, diabetes,fatty liver and high cholesterol.
One of the types of surgery is the gastric balloon which can be adjusted and a person can lose up to 42 pounds in 6 months. The surgery is followed by a strict diet, this surgery is done in a day and a hospital stay is not needed.
The gastric sleeve removes part of the stomach and shrinks it so there is less room to store food and patients feel fuller faster.
The gastric bypass reduces the stomach size and the patient feels full after eating a small amount of food.
You are then given information about insurance coverage conditions and risks during surgery.
You are then given a diet to use after surgery that is done in stages that  includes fluids including water, broth, sugar - free popsicles, and whey protein fruit juice.
A list of nut milks are given, along with thinned mashed potatoes and broth, and pureed soups.
The next stage is the amber stage of soft, pureed, textured food.
The last stage is the Green stage, which consists of high protein, low sugar, low fat foods.
You are then shown what sugar does to the body and the mind, and why it is so important to get off sugar.
You are given a list of food to avoid, gum, tough meat, rice, pasta, pineapple, mushrooms and corn.
You are introduced to bariatric utensils and plates that are labeled with “veg, starch and protein.” This is so that you eat the right portions of each.
It is important to have a support group to help you maintain your diet, if you are married, your spouse could be your support, they may even want to do the diet with you.
Drinking 10-15 cups of water a day helps you to feel full and it washes your food down, drink more water if it is hot outside.
The recipes in the book are color coded according to your stage in the process.
The spiced oat, apple and coconut smoothie bowl uses rolled oats, coconut water, yogurt, bananas and coconut to create a smoothie that tastes good and is easily digestible.
The granola and fruit breakfast tarts granola, agave, yogurt, coconut and fruit to create a tart that tastes like a dessert.
The apple and lentil soup uses apples, lentils, carrots, celery, yogurt and bouillon to create a thick, flavorful soup.
A bariatric tortilla pizza is made with tortillas, ham, tomato paste, tomatoes, anchovies and mozzarella and can be baked in 10 minutes.
Satay chicken skewers are easy to make and only use a few ingredients - chicken, soy sauce and pepper that are marinated overnight and cooked in minutes.
Hoisin glazed shrimp use shrimp, hoisin sauce, asparagus, vermicelli noodles and spices can be prepared and cooked in 15 minutes - much faster than takeout!
You will also find chilis, fish dinners, dips, dressings and desserts that will please your palate and satisfy your food cravings!
I am very glad to find this resource, I just wish I’d had this in 2017, when I had my surgery.
This book is loaded with much needed information. Everything from the different types of surgeries offered today, what to expect in the hospital after surgery, the different food stages after surgery, to recipes for every stage. It definitely is a definitive guide and one that I will be telling others in the Bariatric Surgery community about.
It is obvious that the author not only used her own experience, but also took her time and researched all aspects of the process.
My only issue was that I wished that there were more vegetarian recipes offered.

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley and this is my honest and voluntary review.
Bariatric surgery has helped so many people regain their life but the post op procedures must be followed for the rest of your life.  This book gives many valuable insights into the process, both before and after surgery.  The recipes are designed to help meet your daily protein intake while still limiting your diet to prevent problems, either over eating or mal-absorption.  As a bariatric surgery patient, I can vouch for the recipes, I've tried the majority of them already and have the rest earmarked into the calendar.  Anyone thinking of or recovering from surgery can benefit from reading Carol Bowen Ball's book.
Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

The go-to handbook for bariatric surgery—packed with pre- and post-op advice, plus 120 high-protein recipes

Over 200,000 Americans undergo weight loss surgery (WLS) every year, but no single book has included everything they need to know—until now. At last, The Bariatric Bible is your comprehensive guide!

Post-op, WLS patients ease back into eating (first liquids, then soft foods) before transitioning to a lifelong high-protein diet. For quick reference, Carol Bowen Ball has color-coded her 120 delicious recipes according to these three stages—plus, every one includes a nutritional breakdown of calories, protein, carbohydrates, and fat.

But the bariatric lifestyle is about more than just cooking—it requires new, healthier habits around exercise, relationships, and eating out. Ball, a WLS patient herself, explains all this and more to help readers secure the best possible outcome: lifelong health.

I really appreciated this book - it explains so many things to people in search of WLS and how to eat afterwards. Why afterwards? Because no matter what, it is still 10% surgery, 90% diet (Speak as someone who gained al her weight back AFTER conquering 20 years of post-op bulimia!  Every recipe in this book is a good one but people who have had WLS will find that their ability to eat certain foods is dependant upon their digestive system and what they can handle. (I could never handle the kebabs on the cover, but that is just me and the wonky digestion issues that plague me to this day as a result of WLS!)

A great book to read if you are pre-op, post-op or just wondering what actually happens after you have been given the help to lose weight. Get up, move and eat well --- this book will help. (and no matter what, do not eat something with the plans to puke it up as you know it won't agree with you.,,, that is too slippery a slope!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter..get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥣🥣🥣🥣