Cover Image: Swallowtail

Swallowtail

A great collection of poems. Love the way mental illness, grief, and assault are approached, and have recommended this collection since reading it
4.5 Stars (I received an e-arc from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review)

TW: References to past suicide attempts

First of all, this cover is stunning, beautiful and such a simple cover.  The collection is emotional, heartbreaking and really goes into the struggles of mental health. Each poems title usually has a dedication or some sort subtitle. Hard hitting, sarcastic and plenty of other amazing things. I don't want to give away too much about the content because I feel like you need to read this collection without knowing a lot.
I loved all of the poems and I'm not sure if I can pick a favourite because they were all so good. How do you pick a favourite when each and every one of the pieces seem better than the others?
This book only gets better as the book goes on. Brenna is able to eloquently capture grief and heartache in  way that feels achingly familiar. Her references that go hand in hand with tough subjects bring a small amount of levity while still dropping those little bombs inside your chest. Amazing collection!
This was a mixed bag for me, like most contemporary poetry. It's definitely modern and written in a very youthful style. I'd recommend it to others for sure.
I'm not even that much of a poetry fan but this book was lovely. Just take five minutes out of your day and be mindful with one of these poems.
I loved this collection of poetry!! I highly recommend it. It even had Harry Potter references! It was nuanced and fun and yet serious. it made you think and cry and even just sit still.
This is the first poetry collection I’ve ever read by Brenna Twohy and it wasn’t something for me. For some reason I couldn't get into this poetry collection. Maybe it was the writing or maybe I just couldn’t connect to the poems. I’ve had this before that I just couldn’t enjoy a poetry collection. Perhaps it's just not the time to read this book and maybe later I’ll buy this poetry collection and read it again. Sometimes I just have these moods where I really want to read poetry collections, and perhaps when I have one of these moods again, it’s time to read Swallowtail.
I just love the way Brenna braids words together. I am honestly at a loss for my own. Her work just took my breath away. This feminist view of grief and loss was remarkable. Thank you NetGalley and Button.
I always loved poetry and this title remind me why I lobe poetry so much!

Swallowtail was my first from the collection and I’m eager to discover more.

This collection of poems deals with so many important topics such as grief or mental illness. Brenna had the way of picturing very well these situation and according to me it was the best part of this book! Honestly I sometimes feel like author speak of such subjects without really knowing it but here, it felt very real and near.

It was really touching but it’s a really hard reading.
Honsetly I didn't quite get most of the written poems. I was dosappointed at the end, almost wishing that I've never read it . sorry for being rude.
Absolutely stunning! Brenna's writing is so raw and emotional that her words and phrases truly speak out to the readers. This collection was so eye-opening and heartbreaking to read, and with every page I found myself more and more engaged with the poems. Swallowtail is a wonderful collection of poems that I absolutely recommend.
This was one of the first books of poetry I read from start to finish. Each and every single poem moved me. Very compelling, very creative, and very raw. I loved this.
DNF - Sorry but these poems and the writing style definitely wasn't for me, so I did not finish the book. It's nice that apparently I'm in the minority. Absolutely stunning cover and title!
Simply phenomenal. I've seen some of Brenna Twohy's incredible performances on the Button Poetry channel on YouTube and having the chance to read them directly in this collection was amazing.
Brenna has done it once again. Her poetry is just so rich and wonderful and amazing and inspiring! She makes me wanna write all the poems! The way the poems just flow is so captivating. Her honesty and precision about particular emotions and experiences are just...wow. Mindblowing.
Swallowtail offers in-depth truths and horrors of women experiences in today's America. Some are hard to grasp and a lot are what we've either witnessed or experienced ourselves and this is something everyone needs to read in today's climate.
I so related to this collection of poems that dissected topics like loss and grief, pain and trauma, and what it's like to be a woman in this world. Twohy's writing is just stunning and you can almost feel the emotions that were swirling around inside her as she wrote it, even if you never had a similar experience. I loved how she used references of nature and wove them into her words. This felt like a complete and well-plotted poetry collection. *Advance copy provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
Swallowtail is one of the best poetry books that I've read so far. All the poems are deep and beautiful. I absolutely love the cover too.
This book is INSANE. I absolutely love reading poetry. The descriptive words and phrases had me turning page after page. I could not get enough and was devastated when it ended. This is not just another poetry book regarding abuse. It focuses on recovery. Beauty. Pain. Emotion. So eloquently written.