Unveiling the Past

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

'Even warriors get weary when the battle doesn't end.'

Kim Vogel Sawyer brings us a wonderful story of forgiveness, repentance and perseverance in Unveiling the Past. Drawing on two cold cases, detectives Meghan and her husband Sean are involved in some situations that reveal much about themselves and their ability to forgive and minister to others. There is so much here that will touch your heart and we learn how God can use even the most painful and also the most minute things to reach people for His good. I was in tears in several places. It made my heart smile. Recommended.

*My thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book via Net Galley. The opinions in this review are entirely my own.
The past for many may not be positive as shown in this story. This story of forgiveness is written in many viewpoints that give readers inside into their minds by recollections and feelings. This novel will clearly touch some readers and help sort their minds to focus on the one true Father. Recommended!
A classic novel by Kim Vogel Sawyer...well written, believable characters, a beautiful story.  Give yourself the gift of this wonderful story.  Five Stars!
Unveiling the Past, by Kim Vogel Sawyer, is the follow up story to Bringing Maggie Home. In this story, Meghan and Sean are married and still working cold cases together. However, when two cases come up that require them to work separately, they find themselves also wondering about other aspects of their marriage. Sean really wants children, while Meghan is unsure she is mother material. Meghan's case is helping a young girl find her lost father, which causes her pain since she doesn't know her father either. Sean's case involves trying to find out what happened to two twin boys several years ago. They are both working with new partners, which is trying for them.
Also, while all this is happening, Diane, Meghan's mother, is getting to know Meghan's father all over again, almost thirty years later. Add Hazel, Meghan's quirky grandmother to the mix, and it gets pretty exciting.
I adored this story. I always walk away from Sawyer's books feeling closer to God and His promises for me. This one was no different. We all have a heavenly Father, and His love will never fail us. These young women will have to learn to stand on that promise. I definitely recommend this book! You don't even really need to read Maggie's Story. You can pick this one up and not be lost. However, you should read them both, because they are both great! I received a free copy of this story from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Unveiling the Past centers around the lives of Meghan and Sean Eagle, cold case detectives for the state of Arkansas, as they investigate two cold cases with new partners while dealing with marital conflicts; and the lives of Meghan’s mother Diane DeFord and Meghan’s father Kevin Harrison who selfishly abandoned Diane before Meghan was born.  The characters in this compelling story are well-developed and believable.  I especially appreciate the deeper than usual insight into the secondary characters.
The plot flows at a fitting pace.  For me, this well-crafted plot with multiple storylines which are skillfully woven together is secondary to the spiritual truths and faith message which either sustain or bring changes and reconciliation in the lives of all the characters.  The prevailing theme of the story is forgiveness and redemption.  This is Christian fiction at its best.  I highly recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via netgalley but am under no obligation to write a positive review.  All opinions are my own.
So enjoyed "the rest of the story."  Unveiling the Past was a beautiful conclusion to Bringing Maggie Home.  The writing style is engaging and easy to sink into.  There is always hope for splintered families!
An intriguing novel by Kim Vogel Sawyer about two cold cases. This was a wonderful story about forgiveness and redemption. There was a lot of switching between different characters’ points-of-view, and while I didn’t feel particularly connected to any of the characters, I did enjoy this novel. The spiritual messages throughout the book were beautifully incorporated into the storyline.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine.
I have enjoyed every book by Kim Vogel Sawyer that I have read and this book is no different. The story was very well written and even though it was an unedited ARC it was quite well done. There were a few errors such as punctuation and words that were wrong but these errors were few and far between and did not impact the story.
 or
The book is written from the viewpoint of 4 different people. These people are all related and the main story is woven around the dynamics of these relationships. Each of the main characters also has his own story within the story so it's kind of like getting a few stories in one. I really enjoyed this as each new part was introduced with a header so you weren't just thrown into a new aspect.

The characters were very well developed and the story line flowed well. This is a true Christian fiction story. By this, I mean that God is mentioned as well as the need for salvation but not in any sort of preachy way. It shows how the characters that are Christian in the book learn to lean on God's wisdom. This story is set in modern-day times.

I was pleased to hear from Netgalley and Penguin Random House that I would be allowed to read and review this book.  This review is not required and a positive review is never required. These thoughts are my own and freely given. I give this 4 out of 5 stars and would recommend this book to my friends.  https://mybooksiread.blogspot.com/2020/03/unveiling-past-by-kim-vogel-sawyer.html
Husband-and-wife cold case detective partners split up to tackle different cases. Meghan initiates contact with the father she never knew, which evokes eerie similarities to the case she's working. Her mother winds up in the company of the man she realizes she never forgave for abandoning her when she was pregnant. Sean struggles to get along with his crass temporary partner.
     This story started slow for me; it seemed too negative for my liking. By chapter  four, though, it had become a page turner. Meghan and her partner hunt for a missing banker thought to have embezzled, but it doesn't feel right to the detectives. Sean searches for the murderer of young twins, with surprising results. The ending is satisfying, but not entirely expected.
This is one of those books that I felt compelled to keep reading because of the fast pace and the interesting plot.  Sean and Meghan Eagle both work for the Cold Case Squad in Arkansas and in this book are split up into different teams and working different cases.  Sean is tasked with finding out what happened to twins who were discovered dead with dirt in their mouths and nostrils.  He is paired with another detective who has all kinds of problems, not the least of which is working with a Christian.  Meghan has to go to Fort Smith, Arkansas, to investigate the cold case of a banker who disappeared and who was suspected of embezzlement.  She is working with a detective named Greg, a man short on words but with a pretty big heart.  There are lots of other characters, but I don’t want to spoil anything for other readers, so I won’t say too much about them.  Suffice it to say that the author does a wonderful job of tying up all of the loose ends at the conclusion of the book so that I was very satisfied with the ending.  I especially liked how well the author witnessed about Christ to her readers.  Definitely Christian fiction and definitely a clean read!
Disclaimer
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.  I was not required to write a positive review.  The opinions expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255, “Guides Concerning the Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising.”
Kim Vogel Sawyer has authored another excellent novel. "Unveiling the Past" is a Christian romance based on a husband/wife detective team who have to learn how to balance their busy workload with their relationship. I felt that the mystery was solved a little too quickly, and some of the obstacles faced by the characters were resolved too easily. However, I still enjoyed this novel, and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a clean, sweet mystery novel.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
First off I'm going to have to agree with Sheila on not being a big fan of modern day reading. Historical is more my thing.
But Kim has outdone herself on this novel. But anything she does is excellent. She's that type that can draw you into a story no matter what it's about.
I didn't realize that this was the second book in the Bringing Maggie home series! Oh my! I always knew that Meghan had a story to tell.
She is a favorite of mine and I've said time and time again you really don't have to connect with the characters in order to enjoy the story.
I always try not to miss any of Sawyers books because well, her writing is amazing! I love how she draws people into her stories from the get go.
Guys and Gals, I'm going to say this and then I'm going on to other things.
The only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. He is the Way, Truth and Life. Let no man come to the Father except through me. I believe that with all my heart do you?
I didn't connect with either Sean or Meghan but they were delightful people to get to know. They're also an awesome husband and wife team. I thought it was awesome that they could work together like that. And folks, it can be done. My husband and I worked together at McDonald's and we were an awesome team. I guess not many could really say that. Anything I had to say or disagree with him I saved it until we got home.
There's a lot of mystery, family secrets and redemption in this book.
I think it doesn't do any good to keep secrets because they only end up hurting the person or people that are involved and it could change their whole outlook in life. Best to be up front if you can.
I didn't want to leave Sean and Meghan behind when the book was finished but I can always revisit them again.
Sean sort of reminds me of my husband. I can ask him to do something and he just goes to bed when he gets home. He doesn't do anything except work and go to bed. To be perfectly honest it's really annoying!! I thoroughly it takes two to make a marriage not just one of us. Makes me so mad sometimes!!!
This is a book where you will think about the characters long after their story is finished. I know I'm still thinking about it.
I think I"m going to have to reread Bringing Maggie home. That was such a good story and it too will keep you guessing.
I do like the cover of the book. I can picture myself walking down whatever road this person is on and looking at the scenery before me.
I give this book 5 stars because the book held my attention from beginning to end and I like the messages the author has to offer here.
A great story that I heartily recommend!
I've also asked my library to order so that other people can enjoy it also. Sawyer's book are always well received at both my libraries.
I love how Sawyer leaves us with a hopeful ending in this story with more to come!
I think my most favorite book from Kim was the one about Mammoth cave Kentucky. I only live about two hours away.
My thanks to Netgalley. NO compensations were received and all opinions are my own.
I enjoyed following the journey of Meghan, a Private Investigator, raised by a single mother, but curious about her birth father.
While working on solving cases, Meghan and her husband Sean have much to learn.
We all want a happy ending, but I felt all the lose ends tie up a little too well for reality.
However, it is well written and the storyline kept my attention.
A cold-case detective husband-wife team battles to solve two mysteries in this faith-filled novel by Sawyer. While attempting to find clues and follow leads at work, they must also deal with more personal issues of growing their family and meeting relatives they’d thought had long abandoned them. Throughout the multi-storied novel, the characters learn that God must be the cornerstone and foundation in one’s life or else it will not stand firm and everything in it will fall to ruin. This is NOT done in a preachy manner, however. Rather, the characters simply have interactions with others that lead them to a final understanding that Jesus is the only way to live your life and be successful. For those who like detective-type stories and don’t mind the characters living a Christian lifestyle, this is a wonderfully uplifting book to read. I highly recommend.  It to both new and old Christians alike.
I loved, loved, loved Bringing Maggie Home. So I was excited to see Unveiling The Past was book #2. There is something about the way Ms. Sawyer writes. It doesn't matter what the genre or what the story is about. She will keep you interested and excited until you read the last page and sit down the book. Her characters are so real, you can't help but be concerned for them. They feel like true friends. I find I almost always laugh and cry while reading one of her books. Sometimes at the same time, that's how good she is. My favorite thing about Ms. Sawyer's books, she gives us life lessons and weaves a thread
of  her faith throughout the story.   I received a copy of this book from WaterBrook and Multnomah  through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.
A well written inspirational romance with a touch of mystery.  I highly recommend this book.  My thanks to the publisher for my advance ebook.  This is my unbiased review.
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Mysteries, family secrets, and learning to love and trust again rest at the heart of this contemporary novel from the best-selling author of Bringing Maggie Home.

Newlyweds and cold case detectives Sean and Meghan Eagle have been given the task of investigating the twenty-years-past disappearance of a husband and father, Anson Menke. A judge ruled that the missing man chose to leave the country and abandon his family, but his wife wouldn't concede that he left his family nor declare him dead. Their mother now gone, his children want answers.

As Sean and Meghan follow the man's last known steps, they also involve themselves in a more personal inquiry: locating Meghan's biological father. But as Meghan struggles to balance her work and her new role as a wife, she becomes terrified of failure. She doesn't want to hurt Sean or jeopardize the Menke investigation by falling short of his expectations.

When her mother, Diane DeFord, sees Meghan's turmoil, she decides to take action, potentially reuniting father and daughter. As the two searches intertwine, Meghan must become vulnerable with Sean, letting him into her life and being a true partner, while letting her heart be tender to God, the One who truly knows the journey each disrupted life needed to take to Him.

I had no idea that Miss Vogel Sawyer wrote contemporary novels: this one was highly enjoyable and worth a read.  I liked that it was gripping and suspenseful but still clean - the characters were well written and the storyline was masterfully written.  I hope that these detectives show up in some more books - I can see these in heavy rotation in our library.
This took a while to engage me, but I'm glad I stuck with it.   There are layers that need to be explored before getting to the heart of the plot and the characters.   Mystery and relationships abound and the cold case Meghan is exploring draws some painful personal issues to the surface.   I was more intrigued the further I read and the ending was a satisfactory and redeeming note to close the covers on - healing and balance are found as family breaches are bridged and vulnerable hearts are mended.
This book will be well received by the patrons at our library. It has romance, mystery and redemption. I will definitely recommend it.
This book was so good! It's well written and hooks you on the first page. Just be warned, once you start reading, you don't want to put it down. It's one of those books that you don't want it to end but you just have to know what happens next. I loved it!! Thank you WaterBrook & Multnomah via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.