Incendiary

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Apr 2020

A highly interesting book with a good premise. It truly benefits from a longer word count - the story has time to grow and it feels more epic. Some things are a bit convoluted and there is a cliche here and there, but it's not so much of a problem.
Ren is a very diverse character with so many different things that combined make her awesome.  She is a memory thief and has lived a thousand lives through those stolen memories.  She is also a spy so YES, count me in to purchase this book for my libraries collection.  The world building is fantastic and combined with beautiful writing, this book is a must have for YA collections.
I will most likely purchase this title for my library, but I cannot seem to get into it.  I am 43% into this title, but I cannot force myself to sit down and read it.  I like it when I am reading it, but it doesn't make me want to continue when I stop.
~~ I received an ARC of Incendiary from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ~~

Wow. I remember the feeling of reading Zoraida Cordova’s Vast and Brutal Sea trilogy and being completely sucked into the world building, her characters and the twists and turns of her narrative. I’m so pleased to say that Incendiary is no different. Renata is a complex character and the characters around her all carry the weight of personal tribulation and trauma. I absolutely loved the plot and honestly did not want to put this book down. I can’t wait to see what’s next for Renata.
As a child, Renata was stolen by the crown and used to find other magic-users in the kingdom. She was manipulated into stealing the memories of traitors, and this led to the deaths of thousands of her own people.

Renata is now part of a rebel group of magic-users called the Whispers. Renata is a memory thief, one of the rarest and most-feared types of Moria magic. When her unit leader and lover, Dez, is taken, she launches an unsanctioned rescue mission. Things quickly spin out of control, and Renata finds herself back in the palace, once again acting as a hand to the crown. Can Renata complete her mission, despite her hatred for the crown, the prince, and everything they stand for?

Incendiary reads very slow in some places - I found myself skipping pages, and some of the plot points were fairly predictable. However, I was not expecting that one betrayal at the end, so that was a nice surprise.

It's not the best in its class, and it can't really stand up next to the likes of Leigh Bardugo or Sarah J Maas, but the characters were interesting and diverse, and the world-building was interesting. If this particular genre is your thing, this is a good option.

When it's all said and done: would I recommend this book, and would I read any sequels? Yes, to both.
#Incendiary
#NetGalley
Another great book from Zoraida Cordova. I exciting and dangerous fantasy that young adults will thoroughly enjoy.
When I started reading Incendiary, I fell in love with the characters, the world, and the author's wonderful writing. It hooked and amazed me from page one! I was really interested to see how the mystery/questions/etc would be solved, what twists and turns awaited, and how all the good stuff would be revealed.
...but then the second half, from the Sun Festival onward...I was lost. Several times action happened in a whiplash sort of way, it left me confused. The BIG secrets were revealed in a disappointing and mundane way. Where was the big AHA! moment? The pacing was off, bouncing between locations with no regard to time or the amazing character development that had been laid out in the first half.
Overall, I really cared for the character and her story but was left disappointed and wanting more.
Wow! This is a long book but very much worth the read!
Summary:
I am Renata Convida. I have lived a hundred stolen lives. Now I live my own.

Renata was only a child when she was kidnapped by the King’s Justice and brought to the luxurious palace of Andalucia. As a memory thief, the rarest and most feared of the magical Moria, Renata was used by the crown to carry out the King’s Wrath, a siege that resulted in the deaths of thousands of her own people.

Now Renata is one of the Whispers, rebel spies working against the crown. The Whispers may have rescued Renata years ago, but she cannot escape their mistrust and hatred-or the overpowering memories of the hundreds of souls she drained during her time in the palace.

When Dez, the commander of her unit-and the boy she’s grown to love-is taken captive by the notorious Principe Dorado, Renata must return to Andalucia and complete Dez’s top secret mission herself. Can she keep her cover, even as she burns for vengeance against the brutal, enigmatic prince? Her life and the fate of the Moria depend on it.

But returning to the palace stirs childhood memories long locked away. As Renata grows more deeply embedded in the politics of the royal court, she uncovers a secret in her past that could change the fate of the entire kingdom-and end the war that has cost her everything.

There's a lot going on in this book - lots of twists right up until the end! Magic, death, love, heartbreak, secrets and much more. I really loved this book and while it seemed to slow down in the middle, everything came together in a massive twist at the end. I love books that keep me guessing, and even though I did figure out one plot twist, there was so much more going on. Can't wait for the next book in this series to find out what happens to Ren!
Ren has magical powers. She can take away memories from people. The memories she takes, she keeps and they sometimes haunt her.
She is part of a group of magical people called the Whispers.  They are trying to save others like themselves from their king who is killing magical people as fast as he can find them.
The king however does keep a few magical people for his own use. Ren’s ability is rare and she had already belonged to him before she escaped. Back then, her “uncle” took care of her and instructed her on how to use her ability. He didn’t let Ren see the shells of people left behind when she took too many memories.
Ren still is trying to fit in. Her ability is rare and the whispers don’t trust her. The king wanted to use her. Who will be there for her?
Holy cow! If I could give this book ten stars, I would! I was really daunted at first with the length of the book but it had me captivated. I was constantly guessing at what would come next and pleased when I guessed right. This book captivated my mind when I couldn’t read it and left me ignoring reality when I could. Best young adult book I’ve read this year, hands down!
I really love Zoraida Corsica’s writing and Incendiary is no exception. I couldn’t put it down, despite the fact that I’m reading two other books as well right now. I’ve already got it on my list for 2020 orders and preordered myself a copy too. Definitely one I’ll be recommending to teens!
This book was received as an ARC from Disney Book Group - Disney-Hyperion in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

At first this book was massively confusing at first learning about Renata and her past of stolen lives and now that she has settled in on her own, chaos erupts. Now she becomes one of the Whisperers, a rebel group that is destined to takeover and fight against the crown. This book is also packed with a lot of drama when Renata is re-encountered with her Whisperer friends who have drained her childhood life of the palace and complete the mission Dez the commander has given her to overthrow the Prince and finally take what she is destined for all these years. Once I got to the middle of the book, that is where my interest started to peak and the plot started to make sense. To some of our readers that is a concern and they question whether or not the book would be even worth finishing.

We will consider adding this title to our YA collection at our library. Even though the book was difficult and first to connect, once we did, we did enjoy it and that is why we give this book 4 stars.
I'm giving this book a good rating despite me being unable to get into it. I'm sure that it's a good enough book, it just didn't capture my attention.
I can see why this book would be popular (and is already getting huge ratings elsewhere), but it just failed to capture my attention at any point. In general I found it overwrought and over dramatic.