The Henna Artist

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Apr 2020

Could not put this book down.I’m Indian and love Indian fiction but I have to say I’ve never read any that comes close to this.
Beautiful descriptions of henna throughout the book.This is the story of Lakshmi who runs away from her abusive husband to the city of Jaipur where she learns the art of henna and healing through herbs.She applies henna to the rich women and saves money to build a house.One day her estranged husband lands on her doorstep with a 13 year old sister who was born after she had left home.
So begins missteps and mistakes and one day she loses all her clientele.
Absolutely loved the rich vivid descriptions.Flawlessly written
Thankyou Netgalley for this ARC
Thank you Harlequin Mira for the eARC.
Lakshmi fled her abusive husband and her village for Jaipur, the Pink City, where she carves out a living by painting henna on the bodies of rich women.  She's saving for her own house and is on her way to succeeding when a sister she didn't know she had ends up on her doorstep.  The 13-year old changes Lakshmi's life; she now has to look after someone other than herself and it's a struggle.  Her sister had a mind of her own and ends up in trouble.  Palahniuk loses her clients one by one and the future looks dire.
This is almost like an Indian fairy story, it's luscious and describes life for women, rich and poor, in 1950's India beautifully.  The chapters on food are so good...I lived in Mumbai for 2 years and absolutely loved it, becoming addicted to the food; so I made a vegetarian curry today!
After all the trials and tribulations the ending was perfect and satisfying.  A really good book I recommend highly, 4.5 stars.