Leave Only Footprints

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jun 2020

When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

The Emmy-winning CBS Sunday Morning correspondent chronicles his year travelling to every one of our National Parks, discovering the most beautiful places and most interesting people that America has to offer.

When Conor Knighton decided to spend a year wandering through America's "best idea," he was worried the whole thing might end up being his worst idea. But after a broken engagement and a broken heart, Conor desperately needed a change of scenery. The ambitious plan he cooked up went a bit overboard in that department; Knighton set out to visit every single one of America's National Parks, from Acadia to Zion.

Leave Only Footprints is the memoir of his year spent travelling across the United States, a journey that yielded his "On the Trail" series, which quickly became one of CBS Sunday Morning's most beloved segments. In this smart, informative, and entertaining book, he shares how his journey through these natural wonders ended up changing his worldview on everything from God and love to politics and technology. Whether he's waking up early for a naked scrub in a historic bathhouse or staying up late to stargaze along our loneliest highway, Knighton goes behind the scenery to provide an unfiltered look at our country. In doing so, he reveals the unforgettable stories behind the often beautiful, always fascinating lands that all Americans share.

My mom and I the only indoorsy members of our family - - the rest of them have done fun things like, say, backpacking around Baffin Island for 90 days sot his is the perfect book for them. (In fact, my one brother is getting and "IOU this book" coupon for Christmas as it does not come out until April of 2020.) He plans to visit every US (61) and Canadian (48) National Park during his newly retired life - he and his wife managed to do 19 of the 109 the summer of 2019 alone and got a major dose of altitude sickness along the way in Utah.  THEN they are going to hike the Appalachian and other trails with their kids, spouses and grandkids  They are an exhausting family!

If you have a hiker or outdoor fan this is the perfect book for you - if you are a "hot house plant" (as my mom calls me) this is a nice way to read about and vicariously visit the parks with this book. It comes out in time for spring thaws and hiking being made easier for you or those outdoorsy type people in your life

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥾🏔🥾⛺🥾
In a time when our environment and our national parks are under the greatest threats in history, Knighton (of CBS Sunday Morning) decides to visit every national park in the United States. Following the break-up of a long term relationship, Knighton clearly needed a distraction and his quest would not only heal a broken heart, it also allowed him to share the beauty and majesty of out park service. From the most popular to the least known, he shares the stories and secrets of “America’s best idea”.  A must read for very American who values our natural resources