Cover Image: The Place We Call Home

The Place We Call Home

Faith Hogan is a fairly new author to me but I think she has gained a long term fan now. Her novels are heavier than I normally read but they are so emotive and well written you can really lose yourself in them. another winner from Faith.
A new author for me but one I shall definitely be reading again.Set in Ballycove a small village in Ireland,it's a perfect location for this story that centre's  around Corrigan's woollen mill.Miranda's family is very much the heart of this novel and each of her children has very different views on life and she is pulled in many directions as she tries to make sure the future of the mills is secure for the workers with whom she has has always respected. Just the right mix of characters who are all interesting. Told in the past and present it plays out perfectly together and makes this a fantastic read A thoroughly enjoyable novel
When I hear that Faith Hogan has a new book out, I don’t even need to know what it’s about, I just know it will be fabulous. This one is no exception.

Set in a small Irish town, the home of Corrigan Mills, this is a real family saga.

Everything about this book is perfect, the setting is so well depicted, it’s like being there, the characters are, of course, marvellous, and the plot is rich and gently woven.

All the characters are likeable and relatable in their own way, even Simon, who is a bit immature and spoilt, but Miranda was my favourite. She’s a strong woman, and the heart of the family, and the mills. She’s getting a bit older now, but she’s very careful of what will happen to the mills. She loves her family, but she’s not a soft touch. The timeline goes right back to her childhood, and it’s fascinating to find out how she gets to where she is today.

This book took me a while to read, because I liked to savour it, and look forward to reading the next part. I was sorry to leave all the wonderful characters behind at the end.A really captivating and enjoyable read, highly recommended.
Yet again another wonderful story from Faith Hogan. A touching drama of family relationships, loyalties & secrets, all set in  beautiful Irish countryside. Thoroughly enjoyed getting to know all the characters & how they all weaved in & out of each others lives
Time to do the overly enthused happy dance, we have another Catherine Curzon and Eleanor Harkstead romance in the house!! How much do I adore these ladies? I do love these short seasonal stories which Catherine and Eleanor are so good at treating us all to, they are just perfect for those moments when you crave for something delicious and sweet, so instead of reaching for yet more Jaffa Cakes (honestly, the number of Jaffa Cakes I consume I am going to end up looking like one) I now reach for a Curzon/Harkstead story, which is far more delectable and long-lasting and far more addictive. The only thing I have to worry about is letting one’s tea go cold…. I really have gone completely off-topic, yet again!
So, The Dishevelled Duke is a very short story, set over the course of one day; Valentines Day to be accurate and it is apart of the appropriately named; A Little Bit Cupid Collection, which is a collection of short Valentine’s day stories written by an array of authors – each one looks so good, so I hope you will go and check out the other’s in the collection too.
As you would have gathered it’s Valentines Day in London, Billy who is as cute as a button is having to leave the bright lights of London when his photography career refused to take off, his hopes and dreams shattered he decides that now is the time to return home to lick his wounds, which means giving up his job as a barista in the brilliantly named; The Chelsea Bun – how much do I love the name of that little cake/coffee shop? and that also means leaving the object of his unwavering secret affections, his favourite customer; the handsome if deliciously unkempt; Charlie. Who suddenly turns up with a mystery parcel under his arm (but what is in the parcel??) just as Billy is closing The Chelsea Bun and saying a sad farewell one last time.
Delectable Charlie and his two gorgeous and immensely huge dogs have been visiting the bun every day for the past year, always sitting in the same spot and just enjoying a hot drink while reading the paper of doing the crossword – as you do! But he has secretly been admiring the hot little barista all along and trying to work up the courage to ask Billy on a date. Honestly, these two are the cutest, I adore their blossoming romance each one is very reluctant up until this point to even test their mutual attraction and yet once they open that door you know that these two are for keeps, but there is a little thing Billy doesn’t know and that is our dear, dishevelled Charlie has a wee bit of a secret….and what a bobby-dazzler that is!
Oh, gawd, did I honestly just write bobby-dazzler??

So with Charlie determined to send Billy off with a lasting memory we embark with the lads on a snowy rush through the city to the London Eye, but will a turn on the eye reveal more than just an eagle-eyed view of London to the boys, or will plans and futures change?? Well, you know me, I ain’t going to tell you what happens or what secrets they are both holding from each other, your just going to have to read it. But, I will say that you will sigh deeply into your mug of hot chocolate while ramming an iced bun into your mouth…it has to be done!
As always Catherine and Eleanor have written another winner, honestly they could write a dinner menu or a phone book and I’d be happy…did I mention how much I adore these ladies? The writing is as always flawless, it’s got great pacing sometimes with very short stories they can at times feel a little rushed, but not with this one, it moves along perfectly as we all make a dash across London.
The Dishevelled Duke is a delightful, charming delicious little romance with a wee twist and quite unusually for a Curzon/Harkstead romance there are no steamy scenes, I know!! Shocking, but to be honest this didn’t need a romp in the hayloft type of scene it is like it’s leading men; perfect exactly how it is.
I adore this author and this book was a brilliant read and one that is perfect to escape for a few hours and loose yourself.
Characters that fall out of the pages of the book and make you fell apart of the story, the setting comes alive  and captured is well with words.
A great read. that I would highly recommend.
Faith Hogan has done it again!  The Place We Call Home is another outstanding book from this amazingly talented Irish author (she writes crime now too, don't you know!).  Faith Hogan's books always draw me in completely and make me feel like I'm part of the family, and never more so than in this family saga of the Corrigans of Ballycove.

It's like a complete family history as we meet the present day owner of Corrigan Mills, septuagenarian Miranda Corrigan, and flash back to her childhood when the mills were owned by local landowners, The Blairs.  Miranda and Richard Blair become close friends one long hot summer and there's a definite spark between them that suggests they could become more than friends, but fate has other plans in store for Miranda.

Now you would think that Miranda became owner of the mills due to her relationship with Richard Blair, but it's a much more interesting and emotional story than that.  Faith Hogan writes so vividly and emotively that I felt as if I was looking at Ballycove through Miranda's eyes and feeling every emotion that she felt.  The characters are so full of life that I had to keep reminding myself that they weren't real people and I didn't really know them as well as I felt I did.

I don't want to spoil the story by giving away any of the plot so all I'll really say is that it is a family drama that puts Coronation Street writers to shame.  There's jealousy and envy, unrequited love, money troubles and family secrets just waiting to be spilled; more than enough drama without needing to have a body buried under the patio.  Even with so much going on, the pacing is very gentle; like waves lapping against the shore but each time the tide goes out, a little more of the family history is revealed.

The Place We Call Home is a book filled with love; first love, mother's love and some love from Faith, as undoubtedly a little piece of Faith Hogan's heart has been woven into the very pages of this beautiful heartwarming book.

I chose to read an ARC and this is my honest and unbiased opinion.
I loved this family saga and finding out each of the character's stories. Each member of the story is written so faithfully and with their own voice. This is a comforting saga where you feel that ultimately the story will pan out. The different characters are all sympathetic if not always likeable and the family dynamics are the driving force in the story.

The story flips from the past to the present day but this is never confusing. Above all, this is a character driven plot and each of the characters stand there in their own right. This story of family secrets, relationships and changing events make for a great read. It is a family saga with a brilliant setting and unexpected plot. Recommended. short:

Thanks to the author for a copy of the book.
Weaving the past with the present, Faith Hogan delivers a family saga set in Ireland. Secrets of the past threaten to upend the success of the Corrigan's mill. With the upcoming retirement of the family matriarch, the three grown Corrigan children wonder who will be asked to take over. Each in their own way, must determine what home and family really mean to them.
Favorite Quotes:

It’s no place for a child, not really. Old Lord Blair is as odd as a hen in a hairdresser’s.

The years had taken inches from his height and added it to his waistband; his hair had greyed into the kind of silky thickness most women of his age would trade their best shoes for.

In that moment, Ada felt such a mixture of emotion for this man who had always stood by her, but who had turned into someone she hardly saw any more. He blended with the furniture of her life, so much so that she couldn’t imagine what she’d do without him, but on the other hand his presence was as banal as a kitchen appliance, useful but hardly stirring.

Simon had a feeling that the softest part of Herr Muller was his teeth, but that was beside the point.

My Review:

This was an emotive, intriguing, and melancholy women’s fiction read with ample servings of family drama and romantic complications and told from multiple POVs.  While emotional tension isn’t my preferred tone, I didn’t seem to mind the angst as Faith Hogan is a master storyteller.  Her engaging storylines squeezed my heart and kept me guessing, although as I was nearing the last few pages I found myself growing increasingly restless and fearful of unresolved storylines, silly me, the crafty wordsmith had a few more tricks hidden in her purse.  I gained a new phrase for my British Isles word list with Hooray Henry, which is British slang for an upper-class British male who exudes loud-mouthed arrogance and an air of superiority, and another form of one of my favorite Brit words of toff.
Thank you to Aria and Net Galley for the chance to read and review this book. I really liked this family saga that takes place between two families in a small Irish milling community. This is the story of Miranda and her grown children-Ada, Callie and Simon. Like all families, there's secrets, jealousies and arguments. Despite their problems, they all learn to come together and love each other in the place they call home..
A snowstorm gave me the opportunity to read this book about two Irish families who saw the value of living and working in a small milling community .The book follows the lives of these families and their offsprings and the people from the community who supported them. Like most families they experienced struggles, jealousies, secrets, lost opportunities. But in the end family loyalties and the bond of love usually prevails. The small Irish community is able to move forward yet at the same time live simple lives because of the hindsight and commitment of these strong caring families. An enjoyable read .
A family centric story but one also of with strong historical links set in an idyllic setting of Ballycove a village in Ireland which forms the backdrop to the story.

Miranda has taken over the mills through a quirk of fate. Now with intense hard work she has brought it from the brink of bankruptcy to its present state of being one of the foremost mills in the country with a reputation for quality and innovation unmatched by other designers. With ill health dogging her footsteps, Miranda knows she has to decide on who is going to take over the mills when she steps down but with three children of widely differing personalities and capabilities she is in a quandary.

With great power and wealth the usual characteristics of greed, envy and ambition rear their heads and even in the closest of families strife and mistrust soon will appear. This family is no different. How Miranda steers the family amongst each of their own personal woes and problems is the brilliant stuff of this story.

Wonderful writing.
This is a wonderful family filled read that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.
This book is set in the beautiful Irish countryside and is based on the lives of the Corrigan Family who own and run the famous Corrigan Mills.
 This story explains how the family came to own the Mills and all of the secrets that all have been keeping to themselves.
The story mainly revolves around the life of Miranda. You start with reading about the childhood of Miranda and how hard that was. You get a good insight into her humble beginnings and how her life was formed bringing her to where she is today. The book does go back and forth from her childhood to her present life.
You get to meet her three children who between them all are having issues in their own lives that none of them want to face up to or burden their mother with.
Ada is the oldest of the three siblings and works alongside her mother at the Mills. She is desperate for her mother to retire so that she can take over the running of the mills. Her life revolves around the mills and this is at a cost to her relationship with her husband. Miranda doesn't believe however that Ada is the right person for the job.
Simon is the middle child and lives in Dublin. All his life has revolved around money and he has gone from failure to failure costing him and plenty of his friends vast sums of money over the years. This time things are at their worst and he is heading back home to lick his wounds and figure out his next move.
Callie is the youngest child of Miranda and has made a huge success of herself as a fashion designer. Unfortunately one of her plans has backfired and she is now heading back home too. She is desperate to keep what has happened a secret while she is planning what she wants to do with her life.
With all three of her children back in Ballycove, Miranda could not be happier and maybe now she can decide who to hand over the Mills to especially with her health beginning  to affect her. But which one of her children will be best suited to the job? and will all of the secrets that are being revealed will the family all be able to stay together?
I loved this family saga from start to finish. The writing style of this book is wonderful. it flows well and keeps you absorbed from the first page to the last. I enjoyed how the story went from the present day to the past and back again. This gave you. good insight into the past of Miranda and explained how ownership of the mills became the Corrigans.
I found all of the characters very different and getting to know all of them was interesting especially with all the secrets they are all hiding too.
This is a wonderful read and one you will enjoy from start to finish.
Miranda has been at the helm of Corrigan Mills since her husband and business partner died years ago.  A world renowned manufacturer of woolen goods, it employs a majority of the local townspeople.  When Miranda has a heart attack, her three children become aware of how they'd each like to see the future of the mills evolve, and childhood jealousies enter into an already difficult picture.  Ada, the oldest, has been working the financial and business end of the mills ever since she was able to work.  She wants to take over the whole enterprise.  Simon, the middle child and only son, is a consistent loser in most things financial and can only see the selling of his shares in the mills as yet another way to get his hands on some easy cash.  Callie, the baby of the family, is also the most successful in the fashion industry.  But her career, and love affair with her boss' husband, both come to a sudden halt when she is dumped by the boyfriend and fired by her boss.   The severance package and a restriction on where she can design and sell her fashions are both substantial.  While Callie has no definite goals regarding the mills, she want to relocate permanently from London to her hometown.

This was such a pleasure to read.  The story line and characters were interesting and kept me coming back to this wonderful story.  Thank you to Netgalley, the author Faith Hogan, and the publisher Aria, for granting my request for a complimentary digital copy of this enchanting novel.  This is my honest opinion.
Ireland, a beautiful cover and family secrets and loyalties interwoven with a love story. I was gripped by the synopsis  of this novel and eager to review another of Faith Hogan’s books.

Miranda Reilley and Richard Blair met as children as Richard left London each summer to holiday in the small town of Ballycove at his grandparents’ house. They grow closer and closer until it’s time for Richard to go to university and their friendship isn’t what it once was.

Years later, Miranda is worried about the upkeep of the mills that have been in her family for generations. Who will keep them going? How will she cope with health problems? Will there be conflicts between her offspring?

Her children all lead very different lives and so their lives change when they have to go back to Ballycove. Who is most loyal to their past, to their mother? Will they all turn up?

Sometimes the past does not always stay in the past. Will secrets stay that way? Can the family work together to save the mills? Is their relationship strong enough to survive the test of time?

The Place We Call Home is atmospheric from the start and told in alternating points of view between Miranda and Richard and flits between past and present. This structure may seem simple but I find it so effective in helping the pace of the book and getting inside the characters and helping me see life through their eyes.

The Place We Call Home is also romantic, mysterious sad happy and heartfelt. Faith Hogan’s ability to create characters and make the Irish landscape come to life in vivid descriptions is wonderful.

4 stars for this. The cover image is nostalgic which I love.
Thanks to Faith Hogan and Aria for my ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.
Well I have to say that the imagery that this author has created in this book is exceptional, I loved reading the sections about the mills, the countryside and life that Miranda experienced as a child.

Then add the present day settings as Miranda, the owner of Corrigan’s Mill, is starting to feel her years, her health is not as it once was. In the wings her three children try to workout what their mum is going to do with a lucrative business and also worry about her remaining years and their futures.

These timelines have been brilliantly woven to create such a wonderful stroll through the Irish countryside and community as I was transported into the Corrigan family through the years.

This is such a gentle read and it was an absolute pleasure to disappear between the pages and discover a life that has had it’s up’s and downs over the years. Miranda was a lovely character and I soon warmed to her in her childhood and admired her resilience in her adult years. She brought up three children who are very individual and very different characters.

Ada is the more serious one, Simon is always looking for the next big deal and Callie a big name in the fashion world. Each child has a good life and in theory they should be happy, but each one seems to have a crisis and this is what finally brings them home and together again. It is only Ada who has remained at home over the years.

This is a family that should be strong together but are actually fractured. They have had opportunity and chances and yet can’t seem to see what they have. As hard as it is for Miranda to try and keep them all happy, and even with her health, they seem as distant with each other as ever.

This is such a wonderful story that opens old wounds and confronts new ones that are still raw, resentment and anger are as rife as frustrations and honesty start to make themselves shown. It is an emotional book and I did have the odd watery eye moment, but this is not what I would call a heartrendingly sad book. There are heartbreaking moments, but the story is also heartwarming as realisations are finally acknowledged.

This was a terrific read and one that I sat and read in one sitting. It was a story that drew me in and had me totally captivated with the gentle pacing and also the compelling story line. This is really good read and one I would definitely recommend.
Such a fantastic read! It's no wonder that Faith Hogan is one my very favourite authors!

Miranda has lived in Ballycove all her life, and has never wanted to live anywhere else. Her life has panned out differently from what she expected, but Miranda wouldn't have it any other way. She is now approaching a time when she should give up work, but only one of her three children wants to follow in her footsteps; Miranda is not convinced that she will keep the successful business thriving, and every local family depends on the income provided to keep food on the table. What is she to do?

This is a wonderfully warm family saga from an author who really understands what makes each and every one of us tick. Creating fabulously diverse characters she does justice to the wonderful Irish countryside, incorporating all the beautiful scenery into this story. Told both in the present and in the past, we learn about all the trials and tribulations Miranda has survived and all about her children, who she knows and understands much better than they realise. A terrifically rounded tale, and wholly complete which ends in the most perfect fashion, I loved everything about this novel and really cannot recommend it, or anything else by this author, highly enough. A full five shining stars - and it deserves each and every one.

My thanks to publisher Aria for my copy via NetGalley and to Vicky Joss for my spot in this tour. This is my honest, original and unbiased review.
We ran out of heating oil on Saturday (due to a combination of a monitor on the blink and the distraction of Christmas – don’t ask.) As a result, our house has been freezing, just as Storm Brendan blew in. Brrrrrr!

Why am I telling you this? Because the one thing that has warmed me through while I’ve been waiting for a fuel delivery is reading this charming novel. It has left me with a happy glow, a bit like the Ready Brek kid from the advert, and I was both loathe and happy to get to the gorgeous ending.

Many of my favourite authors are Irish. Maeve Binchy, Cathy Kelly, Emma Hannigan, Marian Keyes all have pride of place on my bookshelf, because their writing is full of life and passion and warmth and real life characters. Faith Hogan is the latest name to be added to my list of go-tos when I am looking for a warm and genuine story full of Irish charm. This book brings Ireland to life within its pages, filling the story with the countryside, scenery and community of rural Ireland and its people. It tells the story of a village, the woollen mill that has put in on the map and kept its populace in jobs, and the family whose responsibility it is to keep the mill running. The story is told across dual timelines as we discover Meredith’s struggles with her grown children now, and her story growing up in Ballycove as a child and young woman, and how the repercussions from events then have shaped the future.

There is a great and realistic mix of characters in this book, not all of whom were likeable. In fact, I was surprised to read a couple of reviews of this book which said that the readers loved all of the characters, because I did not. (Just goes to show how we all react so differently to the same story!) Despite this, they were all believable, because not everyone in real life is likeable after all! I was fully involved in all of their stories from the beginning and, despite wanting to slap some sense into a least one of them, I was happy with the way everything played out in the end, and the very last paragraph made me sigh with happiness.

If you are looking for a gorgeous, feel-good read, with a good depth of story (someone else has referred to this as a saga, and I think it could indeed be classed as a mini version of such), set in a beautiful landscape with characters and a community you can care about, look no further. You absolutely will not be disappointed.
I’m a fan of Hogan’s work and jumped at the opportunity to get stuck into ‘The Place We Call Home.’ She is an amazing storyteller – whisking us to beautiful locations and giving us a fantastic array of characters, some you love the bones of but some you simply can’t stand, just how we do in life I think.
With this book, we have themes of family, friendships and deep-seated secrets and desires, as well as feeling like we belong. We are taken on quite the journey and are given some great characters; they are funny and successful, full of love and heart and of course have that Irish charm that can land them in a whole heap of trouble. Typically, they are all searching for their own happiness but are they going to find it back in Ballycove, back home.
It is a nicely paced story, so well written especially moving between past and present. This gorgeous saga kept me engrossed for hours. I simply didn’t want to put it down once I’d started – so prepare, give yourself a whole afternoon and get cosy!