Cover Image: When You See Me

When You See Me

A great novel that I very much enjoyed. Strong.characters and a fascinating storyline make for an exciting read. Highly recommended.
This is the first book I’ve ever read in the DD Warren series and I loved it! I had actually no idea this book was part of such a long series and didn’t find at any point that to enjoy it fully I should have read all the previous books, as the author gives enough information about the characters backgrounds to make this a standalone story. I now want to read the whole series though as I enjoyed this so much!
The story is gripping and suspenseful and brilliantly written in the perspective of the four main characters DD, Kimberly, Flora and the girl. This is a very well used format, but one that works and helps you get to know each character in turn and revels the story bit by bit.
I loved that the main characters are four strong women that don’t need a man to catch the bad guys.
I really look forward to the next book to find out what will happen to all the characters.
Many thanks to Random House UK and NetGalley for letting me review this book and discover this author!
This is the eleventh book in the Detective DD Warren series. I have been hooked since book one!!

Flora Dane was kidnapped and kept captive by Jacob Ness for 472 days, she is a survivor.

When a mass grave is discovered in Georgia, FBI Special Agent Kimberley Quincy partners up with DD Warren,  as they suspect the bodies may be early victims of Jacob Ness. Flora the only survivor goes with the team alongside Keith a Computer Analyst who is close to Flora.

When more bodies are uncovered it becomes apparent that they may be more than one perpetrator at work. This thriller kept me engrossed, no one can be trusted and there are secrets galore.

Loved the ending and looking forward to seeing what happens to Flora and Bonita.

Be warned this is a highly addictive series. I highly recommend this author!!

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
When You See Me is the eleventh instalment in the Boston, United States-based Detective D.D. Warren series, also featuring her colleague FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy, and I am overjoyed to discover this is a series that is still going strong... and then some! It isn't necessary to have read any of the preceding books before deciding to pick this up as the bulk of the plot is self-contained; they also don't require you to read them chronologically, although I feel more enjoyment can be achieved by doing so.

FBI Special Agent Kimberly Quincy and Sergeant Detective D. D. Warren have built a task force to follow the digital bread crumbs left behind by deceased serial kidnapper Jacob Ness. When a disturbing piece of evidence is discovered in the hills of Georgia, they bring Flora Dane and true-crime savant Keith Edgar to a small town where something seems to be deeply wrong. What at first looks like a Gothic eeriness soon hardens into something much more sinister...and they discover that for all the evil Jacob committed while alive, his worst secret is still to be revealed. Quincy and DD must summon their considerable skills and experience to crack the most disturbing case of their careers—and Flora must face her own past directly in the hope of saving others.

This is the best book of the series so far and I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ms Gardner is the best-kept secret of the crime genre and is terribly and criminally underrated. I raced through this book desperate to discover who was responsible for the trail of destruction. Gardner’s writing hooks you in at the very beginning and your attention never shifts until the last page has been turned. There are twists and turns aplenty, multiple points of view giving us a more rounded and interesting narrative and intriguing personal stories. The author barely gives you time to breathe between reveals and surprises and the action is non-stop throughout. With so much excitement and tension being built up I was on the edge-of-my-seat due to this beautifully written, convoluted story. Highly recommended. Many thanks to Century for an ARC.
I’ve read most of the books in this series and this one really had me hooked from the first few pages.
Flora is asked to help when DD and Kimberley are asked to investigate the discovery of bones out in the mountains as they think it’s linked to Jacob Ness.
Keith goes along too and soon they are all tangled up in a place that holds many secrets.
A young girl witnessed the execution of her mother and as the bullet hit her too, has lost the ability to speak. She’s being held against her will as a maid and other girls have died around her.
The Sheriff is confused by each and every revelation as he had no idea his quiet town had turned into a place of murder and corruption.
I loved the final few chapters and had to race through them as I was desperate to know how it ended.
‘The Bad Man’ as Bonita calls him, is terrifying and with his business at stake wants to kill everyone, and it’s a real nail biting fight to the end.
I love this series and look forward to reading more about DD Warren.
Thanks to Random House UK and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Another of my favourite authors and I love this series featuring D D Warren and her team. This tale is very dark. Full of tension and suspense, heart in your mouth moments. This book was hard to put down. Switched off my phone and takeaway ordered. This read had me glued to my seat. Tapping my kindle faster and faster. I have never been disappointed by a book by this author  and I am glad to say this read is a Bobby Dazzler. If you want a book that grabs you by the throat and only lets you go when you have turned the last page then this is the book for you.
I would like to thank the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
Hikers find the skeleton of a young woman off trails near the small tourist town of Niche, Georgia.  It is thought to be the work of serial killer and rapist Jacob Ness, now dead. A taskforce is formed to investigate. More human remains are found, and there are doubts as to whether Ness, or at least Ness alone, could be responsible. What secrets lurk in Niche....?

An atmospheric psychological thriller. It took me a little while to get into it, but then I began to turn page after page. It is part of a series featuring Boston detective D D. Warren, but I didn't feel at any disadvantage in not having read any of the preceding books.
When you see me by Lisa Gardner is a 4 star read.
This is a fantastic addition to this series, the story flowed through each individual telling their part in this. The characters were brilliantly written, this author knows how to tell a tale that will have you thinking about it long after the last page.
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book through Netgalley.
I took a little longer than usual to get into this book, but still found it enjoyable. The characters were well described and once into it I was kept gripped. Thanks to the author and Netgalley for an advance copy in return for an honest review
I didn't take to this book unfortunately. I couldn't relate to any of the characters and I found the novel slow moving and a real struggle to plough through.

Thank you to Netgalley, Lisa Gardner and Random House for this advanced copy in return for an honest review.
Gripping, thrilling and suspenseful - When You See Me ramps up the tension with each turn of the page. Brilliantly written, it will keep you hooked to the very end. Thank you to NetGalley, Random House and the author for the chance to review.
I love this D.D Warren series by Lisa Gardner. I haven't read them all but I would recommend, at least reading the first one to get an understanding of the characters.
A couple out hiking in the mountains of Georgia find a skeletonised body. When the victims identity is learned F.B.I Agent Kimberley Quincy thinks it may be another undiscovered victim of serial killer Jacob Ness. So she invites the people that knew him best to join a taskforce set up to investigate. A huge search operation soon finds more shallow graves but the more they discover the less and less likely it seems to be Jacob's doing. Which means theres another monster out there preying on innocent women and girls. It must be someone local to know his way around the mountains so the team start their investigations in the nearest small town. The team must work together to stop anymore women and girls being killed. Can they figure out who the killer is and also, who''s been helping and protecting him all these years? They do say " it's always the last people you would expect" and that is very true in this story.
I can't wait for the next one.
I took a bit longer to get into this book compared to previous books by this author.  It was worth the wait though.  Brilliant plot & loved the characters.   Would recommend this to anyone.
This story did not grab me at all to begin with!  I nearly gave up on it but something must have caught my attention!  Perhaps it was the fact that there were two very different but strong women in charge of solving the mystery surrounding the town, the mass graves and the local murders, perhaps I enjoyed their strength and the banter between them.   Perhaps it was a past victim and the budding romance between her and a computer geek involved in the investigating team?  Whatever it was I’m glad I stuck with it!  It slowly drew me into the tunnels in the mountains, into the town and its people and into the characters that slowly and cleverly revealed themselves!  Yes, it was worth it!
The small town of Niche is just that, a small town; nothing ever changes, everyone knows everyone's business and major crimes don't happen here but then human remains are found. SSA Kimberley Quincy is put in charge of the investigation and asks Boston detective D.D. Warren and kidnap survivor Flora Dane to join her taskforce but none of them can begin to imagine how things will evolve.

This is such a consistently tense, fast moving, heart stopping, book I'm not sure where to begin. Right from the start as two inexperienced hikers are getting kitted out you're waiting for something shattering to happen and already you're hooked! There are few light moments but Lisa Gardner is expert at introducing humour born of familiarity or the seriousness of the situation so even during the darkest chapters the dialogue will make you smile.

I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to any fans of this brilliant author or any of her current series, this is an excellent addition to anyone's library and a first class read.
When you see me follows DD Warren and Flora’s quest to track more information about Flora’s - now dead - kidnapper and his previous victims. When a body is discovered and police believes Flora’s kidnapper is involved, the two women are called to participate in the investigation. But is everything exactly what it seems? Or is there more to this discovery?

This books was really interesting and it did keep me hooked but it was a bit slow paced at the beginning. Lisa Gardner is fantastic and gives so many details of the investigation and processes that it makes it even more believable and the story does keep you hooked as you just want to find out what is happening!
Although I haven’t read the previous book but the story is easy to follow and it has lots of twists that you aren’t expecting.To me, it worked fine as a stand alone and I thought it was brilliant but some readers might want to read Lisa Gardner previous books before starting with this one.

This book is narrated by four characters: Flora, investigator DD Warren, FBI agent Quincy and an unknown girl and despite the initial slow pace of the story, the plot becomes more and more interesting and I just couldn’t stop reading until the end.

The plot turned out to be completely different from what I was expecting and I was completely surprised by most of the events in it.
Without wanting to give spoilers, two stories that may not seem related end up intertwining in such a simple but unpredictable way!
The characters are such strong personalities and really well constructed. The grief and internal battles is palpable and it is really rewarding that in one story you get to see them go through and overcome some of their personal battles. I personally enjoyed Flora’s character development and how her actions and behaviour   change as the investigation evolves.

I definitely recommend #Whenyouseeme to fans of crime, mystery and thriller and I will surely add Lisa Gardner’s previous books to my list of books to read.

I would like to thank #netgalley and #randomhouseuk for the opportunity to read When you see me prior to its publish date in exchange for an honest review.
Having never read any Lisa Gardner before, I came to this one blind but needn’t have worried. Despite the author uniting three of her most loved characters - Flora Dane, Detective D.D. Warren and FBI agent Kimberley Quincy - the novel was still easy to follow with not too much of a backstory.
When human remains are discovered by two hikers in Georgia, they are assumed to be the work of deceased serial killer Jacob Ness. However, as more bones are uncovered the small town of Niche comes under the spotlight and more recent crimes come to light. Flora - a survivor of predator Ness - D.D. and Kimberley come together to uncover the murderous secrets the town holds and their suspicions of a present day killer are borne out.
This was an excellent, page-turning crime thriller which was a highly enjoyable read. I will definitely be searching out other books by Gardner in the near future.
With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
I’d like to thank Random House UK, Cornerstone and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘When You See Me’ by Lisa Gardner in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

The remains of a body are discovered in the woods in Niche, Georgia, and as Flora Dane was abducted and kept imprisoned in the same area for 472 days by the infamous Jacob Ness she and Keith Edgar, crime computer analyst and Flora’s friend, are recruited by Sergeant DD Warren as part of the task force responsible for finding the killer.  A young girl is used for menial labour in the town’s B&B after the gunshot that killed her mother left her with facial scarring, a limp and unable to speak.  DD Warren befriends her and on hearing others call her ‘Girl’ names her Benita.  Benita finds a way to tell DD about the ‘bad man’ who’s taking girls and killing them but she knows too much and her life is in danger.  Can DD keep her safe until they find the identity of the killer?

Despite not having read the previous books in the Detective DD Warren series, I don’t feel at a disadvantage as ‘When You See Me’ has been written in such a way that it can easily be read as a standalone.  It’s a brilliantly-written spine-chilling thriller with a breath-taking plot that’s shocking at times, overflowing with excitement and suspense, twists and turns, lots of action, and ending with a gruesome and nail-biting conclusion that kept me on the edge of my seat.  This is the first of Lisa Gardner’s thrillers I’ve had the privilege to read, but it won’t be the last!
Fantastic thriller - a real page-turner.  A hiker finds a mass grave in the mountains - the FBI are called in along with Flora - a victim turned vigilante, to help solve the crime.  The town the arrive in holds many secrets and there are frightening consequences as the secrets, and bodies, are unearthed.  A gripping read - highly recommended.
This is yet another fast paced , suspense filled thriller from a talented Author - with great characters .

Human bones , identified as Lilah Abenito , have been discovered in a mountain town called Niche -  that caters to hikers doing the Appalachian Trail .
Was she the victim of the serial killer Jacob Ness?
A task force is soon formed - lead by SSA Kimberly Quincy of the FBI , including Sergeant D.D Warren, Flora Dane , the survivor of 472 days of torture at the hands of Ness .
Soon the bodies found mount up leaving the investigators stunned , are there more to be found ? - just what is going on ? who is/are the perpetrator(s) .
Flora has come a long way from being a victim to taking her chance of happiness with Keith, a true crime aficionado and an expert in computers.
The story is told through D.D , Kimberly and Flora  and leaves the reader stunned at the chilling Climax .

Some of the descriptions of kidnap , torture and misery is difficult to read but is paramount to the story and to leave it out or paper over the horror would lessen the truth .

I look forward to the next book by the Author .

I was given an ARC of this book by Netgalley and the Publisher in exchange for an honest review.