HE KNOWS YOUR SECRETS

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Dec 2019

He Knows Your Secrets by author Charlie Gallagher is a shocking good read! I was hooked from the first page and stayed awake into the night to finish. Holly Maguire has a message she wants to make sure the police will seriously investigate. She sacrifices her life in order for her message to gain attention.
Kelly Dale is grieving the death of her mother. Before Kelly can make the funeral arrangements, she is stunned by a mysterious text from Kelly and an unexpected visitor stops by to make hateful demands. Kelly must decide what she will do in order to escape the horrible trap her life is held within.
Detective Maddie Ives is called out to the site of a horrible vehicle crash over a cliff. It is assumed the driver drove the car over the cliff in an act of suicide. As Maddie investigates the scene and the items which are left in the arms of Holly, she feels there is more to this crash than a desperate wish to die by the occupants of the car. It is a mystery she plans to unravel, no matter how much opposition she may face from her boss.
I won't post spoilers, but the subject matter of the plot is worrisome for anyone who may have attractive young daughters, friends, or acquaintances. As the evil human trafficking element of the story is revealed, I was so angry and then found myself wondering what a person could do to help someone caught within this horrible trap.
He Knows Your Secrets is the latest in the  Detective Maddie Ives thriller series.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and give my own review of this book.
I have read several books by Charlie Gallagher now, including He Will Kill You (Maddie Ives 2) and He Will Find You (Maddie Ives 3) and I rated them all five stars. This one - He Knows Your Secrets -is equally as good, exactly as I was expecting, and I just had to finish it to find out what happens. I relish reading this author's books and this latest book was simply brilliant!

A young woman, Holly Maguire, commits suicide and takes a taxi driver with her. She carries a rucksack containing clues that she hopes will result in the police investigating her death and bringing down a dangerous and controlling brute.

Kelly Dale is in a dark place; her mother has recently lost her battle with cancer, and she has just found out that her girlfriend, Holly Maguire, has committed suicide. Now Kelly is left to deal with the psychopath who employs her, a man who has made a career of exploiting, controlling and abusing women for his gain and amusement. Now that Holly is dead, he is looking to replace her, and he is expecting Kelly to train her. But will Kelly be able to help the new girl?

He Knows Your Secrets is set in the town of Langthorne in the south-east of England. DS Maddie Ives and her team are at the sharp end of a complex and baffling investigation trying to solve the case, though trying to rein her in is boss Harry Blaker, when Maddie's vehemence begins to gets the better of her. I love that Charlie Gallagher portrays Maddie as a strong-willed, determined woman with plenty of attitude, who also has a soft side and is far from perfect.

I was hooked from the start and fully appreciated the attention to detail and the dynamics between Maddie and her colleagues. Although this isn't a typical whodunit mystery, there was still a strong sense of peril and endangerment, as well as an urgency to reach the end to find out what happens to the familiar and lesser-known characters, none of which was disappointing to me.

He Knows Your Secrets was such an exciting read and I have no hesitation in recommending it. I am already looking forward to Charlie Gallagher's next offering.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Joffe Books via NetGalley and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
DI Maddie Ives #4

A taxi plunges over a cliff killing the woman passenger and the taxi driver. But was it an accident or suicide? DS Maddie Ives is at the scene. In the womans backpack, there is evidence that could bring down a man who has a hold over some women. Around the same time a other young woman has just lost her mother to cancer. She does  ot k ow yet that her girlfriend has just died in a taxi.

This is far from an easy book to read due to it's subject matter. It covers: prostitution, female exploitation and violence. There is quite a ,ot of violence and its white a dark and gritty read. I really like this series of books. I also like Maddie and her partner Vince. Its fast pa e and I can't wait to read the next book in this series.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Joffe Books and the author Charlie Gallagher for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I just love this author's books and his lastest book was Just a brilliant read. So when He Knows Your Secrets by Charlie Gallagher came out I just had to turn my phone off, find a comfy spot to open my kindle and become a part of this new book. Blimey what a cracking read Charlie's lastest book was. I was hooked within the first few pages and I just had to finish it to find out what happens.

A young woman called Holly Maguire takes a taxi to a clifftop location. She is determined to make things right.
Then the car goes over the edge of the cliff. Killing the taxi driver as well

"As Holly falls to her death, she tightens her grip on a rucksack"

"SHE WILL GIVE HER LIFE TO BRING HIM DOWN."

WoW! Who is Holly Maguire? Why did she kill herself and who does she want to bring down?

OMG I just wanted to find out more about Holly and why she killed herself! What was in her rucksack?

Holly has a girlfriend called Kelly Dale who she loves dearly. Kelly is coming to terms with the death of her mother when she finds out about Holly. DS Maddie Ives is the only person who thinks there is more to this suicide of Holly and starts to look more into it. She is shocked on what she finds out.

Is Kelly Dale in danger?

Will DS Maddie Ives be in time to save Holly before some thing happens to her?

This book is full of twists and turns and you will not see that coming.......

I highly recommend this Book by Charlie Gallagher and is a great read.

Big Thank you to NetGalley and Joffe Books for this e-book ARC to read, and review.
Another great story from Charlie Gallagher, Maddie Ives at her best. Like a dog with a bone! Keeps digging and never gives up!  A look into the dark side of the internet, a fascinating story line. Well worth reading.
HE KNOWS YOUR SECRETS by Charlie Gallagher is the fourth book in the Maddie Ives Series. I have not read the previous books in this series, but I feel that Mr. Gallagher does an excellent job of reintroducing the main characters, so you don't have to read the books in order. Mr. Gallagher also brings his vast knowledge of police work, which adds a realistic aspect to his writing. The pacing of this novel is perfect, keeping the reader on edge. Mr. Gallagher continuously builds the suspense by alternating scenes between the main characters, thus keeping the reader glued to the book. There is an element of darkness to this book. Some scenes are very graphic and violent toward women, but I did feel they were well within the realm of the subject matter, and the author handled these elements well. To balance the dark graphic qualities in this book, Mr. Gallagher does introduce the softer side of human nature. The love that one woman has for another and the kindness that is given by a stranger delivers countenance.  Both of these things might help change a life.

HE KNOWS YOUR SECRETS set in the fictional coastal town of Langthorne in the south-east of England. Holly Maguire, a local sex worker, meets her death as the taxi she has hired plunges over the edge of a cliff.  Is this a murder-suicide or a horrible accident?  That is what Detective Sergeant Maddie Ives must figure out.  I love that Mr. Gallagher writes the character of Maddie as a strong kick-a** woman that has a soft side and is far from perfect.

Kelly Dale is a woman in a dark place, her mother has recently lost her battle with cancer, and she has just found out that her girlfriend Holly Maguire has committed suicide. She doesn't understand why Holly has done this; they planned to be together forever. They were supposed to get out of the horrible situation they found themselves in together.

"I'll be the sky and you be the bird…"

Now Kelly is left alone to deal with the psychopath who employs her.  HE is a man who has made a career of exploiting, controlling and abusing women for his gain and amusement.  Now that Holly is dead, HE is looking for a replacement, and HE is expecting Kelly to train her.  Will Kelly be able to help the new girl survive in this depraved world this man has trapped her?  Will DS Ives find a way to save these women? These are the questions that will propel you through this book.

HE KNOWS YOUR SECRETS is a dark, edgy thriller with heart-pounding suspense.  Although we know who the bad guy is, this book's focus is on the wild ride Mr. Gallagher takes us on to find out if DS Maddie has what it takes to bring down this evil man.  If you are a fan of police procedural books, this book will tick all your boxes. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

** Please note the quote in my review are subject to change once the book is published**

*** I kindly received this galley by way of NetGalley/publisher/author. I was not contacted, asked, or required to leave a review. I received no compensation, financial or otherwise. I have voluntarily read this book, and this review is my honest opinion. ***
The newest instalment in the Maddie Ives series. Personally I love Charlie Gallaghers books. His writing is fast paced and keeps me wanting more! The series never get boring, grips me from the first till the last page! The grittiness and intrigue is high on the list in this book. Not for the faint hearted aming us all, but personally I think Charlie has hit the mark, all I can say is... keep em coming!
He Knows Your Secret is the fourth book in the Maddie Ives series. They are all stand alone books, but it’s good to read the previous ones, especially book one, to get an overall understanding of the main characters’ background.

Holly and her girlfriend Kelly were trapped in a world of sex and violence. In order to gain their freedom,  Holly sacrificed herself by committing suicide and leaving a rucksack filled with clues for the cops to follow in order to hopefully secure Kelly’s freedom from that horrific life. When  Detective Sergeant Maddie Ives discovered the connection between Holly’s suicide and a known career criminal, she relentlessly pursued him in the name of justice for Holly and all the other women who were coerced and trapped in his world.

There was an interesting mix of characters : some that you want to see get a better life and those that you want to see spend the rest of their lives behind bars and experience some of that fear and violence they inflicted upon the women. This type of well written reader engagement made this story intensely captivating.
Highly recommended for those for enjoy crime drama.
Another good book in the Maddie Ives series. I have read all the books in the series so far and enjoyed them all. Plenty of suspense to keep you turning the pages but this is a quite a harrowing read in places with the abuse suffered by the girls. Unfortunately it happens all too often in real life. That didn’t take away from the enjoyment of the story. I recommend this book.
I have been a fan of Charlie's work for a fair while now.  In fact ever since I had the good fortune to be invited to take part in the blog tour or one of Charlie's previous books.  Since then I have caught up with his previous books, whilst keeping pace with every new book that he has released.  I read the synopsis for 'He Knows Your Secrets' and I was immediately intrigued.  The synopsis certainly sounded like just my kind of read.  A fast paced, police procedural, psychological thriller with a twist.  Well, I can definitely say that 'He Knows Your Secrets' is all that and so much more.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'He Knows Your Secrets' but more about that in a bit.
I absolutely loved the character of Detective Maddie Ives.  She is a young, determined, hard working police detective.  Maddie is feisty and almost totally fearless.  She has empathy and she treats the victims of crime with kindness and compassion.  Maddie is in charge of a small team but they all seem to get on fairly well.  Maddie is very tenacious and she is a like a dog with a bone in the sense that if something doesn't feel right to her she will not hesitate to investigate until every lead has been chased down and she has satisfied her own curiosity.  Maddie often does more than her fair share of the workload.  Maddie works well as part of a team but she works equally well on her own.
It didn't take me long at all to get into this story.  In fact by the time I got to the end of the first page, I knew that I would find it nigh on impossible to put this book down for any length of time.  Reading 'He Knows Your Secrets' became seriously addictive.  I would pick the book up only intending to read a couple of chapters but I would still be sat there reading over a half a dozen chapters and a couple of hours later.  If I had to put the book down for any length of time then I would immediately look forward to being able to get back to what was important- reading 'He Knows Your Secrets'.  I soon seemed to make my way through the book.  I can't exactly put a time scale on it because I lost all track of time.  All I do know is that I wish that the book had been longer because I was having such a good time reading it.
'He Knows Your Secrets' is brilliantly written but then I wouldn't expect anything else from Charlie Gallagher.  As he is a serving police officer himself, his books just seem that bit more authentic if that makes sense.  He certainly knows how to grab your attention from the start and he draws you into the story.  The story hits the ground running and maintains the pace throughout.  Charlie writes so realistically and uses such vivid and graphic descriptions that I really did feel as though I was part of the story myself.
Reading 'He Knows Your Secrets' felt like being on one hell of a scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with several twists and turns along the way.  Just when you thought that you could reclaim your stomach, take a minute to catch your breath and allow your heart rate to go back to normal, then off the action would go again.
In short, Charlie Gallagher has done it again and he has written one hell of a book.  I would definitely recommend this author and his books to other readers.  I will most definitely be reading more of Charlie's work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
This is the fourth book in the series featuring DS Maddie Ives and DI Harry Blaker based in Canterbury, and they just get better and better. DS Maddie Ives had been working undercover in Manchester for years until disobeying orders meant that she had to move right across the country to a Major Crimes posting in Langhorne in the south east. Then a nasty shoot out injured her boss DI Harry Blaker and put him out of action for months and her back into CID, and once reunited they have worked a couple of nasty cases together. Back for good in Major Crimes and with things on a more even keel they face possibly the most gritty and disturbing case yet. A woman called Holly Maguire takes a taxi to a clifftop location. Before long the car goes over the edge of the cliff and falls hundreds of feet. As Holly plummets to her death, she tightens her grip on a rucksack full of clues. The detectives are faced with two bodies but struggle to get to the root of whether it was a tragedy, a suicide attempt or something more sinister. Holly's girlfriend Kelly has recently lost her mum to cancer and now is too late to save Holly. Her whole life is in a downward spiral and she longs to escape the vicious criminals who dominate her but she will need help and protection. That help arrives in the form of DS Maddie Ives who is convinced there is more to Holly's death than murder-suicide. Harry is not convinced and there is pressure on her to drop it but she is determined and gradually with the help of the clues Holly left she starts to piece together links to an evil crime boss with a shady past who is exploiting young girls. A man who thinks nothing of eliminating anyone who gets in his way. The characters are very well drawn, and the detectives get more likeable as the series moves on. Harry still growls a lot (although he does occasionally show a softer side), Vince never gives up trying to ask Maddie out, and Maddie just never gives up when she has the bit between her teeth. The pace is fast and the plot exciting as Maddie is drawn into a world that gets much darker as the story progresses, and even with Harry and Vince on her side she has to battle relentlessly with reluctant witnesses to make any headway. The ending is very dramatic and this is altogether another excellent read from a clearly very knowledgeable author which I have no hesitation in recommending. 5*
I received He Knows Your Secrets by Charlie Gallagher, free, from Net Gallery, in exchange for an honest review
There are 3 main women in this book.
One will give up her life to stop him.
The second woman is his next victim.
And, the third woman is attempting to put him behind bars.
This is a heart stopping thriller and might be the most exciting book I have read this year.
There are all sorts of red herrings in this book
There is a sex worker
There is a crime syndicate

And, hopefully they will save Kelly before it is too lTe
Maddie Ives is back and ready to fight for the people who nobody cares about.  She is a very addictive character, feisty, determined and underneath the hard exterior she shows when needed lies a very compassionate, caring personality.  She has grown on me book by book so I am now at a place where I am nagging Charlie Gallagher to write faster.

A taxi goes over a cliff killing the taxi driver and a prostitute who is known to the Police.  Maddie attends and her gut instinct is telling her there is something wrong.  There are several very probable theories about what happened: a sex act gone wrong, murder/suicide ..... But Maddie is not buying any of them. When her boss, Harry tells her to leave it and concentrate on the cases she already has, she uses her own time to continue investigating, determined to put the pieces together and find out what Holly wanted her to know.

The story develops and we see the police view and the view from the criminal side as we are immersed in the sickening and violent world of abuse and exploitation masterminded by a known criminal that keeps escaping justice.

This is a fast paced story but we really get into the detective side as we follow Maddie as she tries to join up the dots and help people that don't want to be helped.

I do love this series and in this one Maddie takes more of a central role with Harry taking a back seat for once.  As always the banter between Maddie and Vince adds humour to offset the darkness that shrouds Major Crimes.

Another excellent story by the brilliant Charlie Gallagher.
So this is the fourth in the Maddie Ives series but I would say it can be read as a standalone but I would recommend starting at the beginning with He Is Watching You for a better understanding of the characters (and it happens to be a really good book too).

Holly Maguire forces a taxi off the road and over a cliff, what would make a young woman like herself do something so drastic? Maddie is about to write it off as murder/suicide when they find a backpack full of seemingly unrelated items. Unable to leave it alone, she digs deeper to find disturbing secrets that she needs to unravel.

He Knows Your Secrets is a gritty and gripping police procedural that took me on a surprisingly emotional journey.

This book does touch on some tough subjects, prostitution and suicide are just two I can name but Charlie Gallagher manages to both handle them with both believability and sensitivity.

I would urge anyone who loves a police procedural to pick up this fantastic series each ones seems to be getting better and better!

He Knows Your Secrets is a disturbing yet utterly captivating read that will grab you from that very first chapter.
A quick read which is full of action and suspense. I think I might have enjoyed it more if I had read the rest of the books in this series.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
One woman commits suicide and takes a taxi driver with her. A young girl finds herself in a precarious position because of her drinking. Her boyfriend is in the hospital with a cracked skull. And she's afraid to tell anyone what happened that night ...and continues to happen now. Another young woman has to find a way to escape her situation .... hopefully without being murdered ..or worse.

Detective Maddie Ives is investigating the suicide when other information comes to her attention. Maddie starts the hunt for a powerful man who exploits and controls women. He has fingers in multiple pies ... the most financially sound is line streaming his 'girls' at the requests of paying members.

In order to bring this man down, she's going to have to take two women under her umbrella and hope she can keep them ...and herself ... safe.

WARNING -- lots of violence against women may be a trigger for some readers.

This one is packed with action, characters that stand out and won't be forgotten soon. It's almost like the aftermath of a car accident ... you don't want to see anything, but you can't help but look. The story line is riveting with a satisfying ending.

Many thanks to the author / Joffe Books / Books n All Booko Promtions / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
What a great way to set up a story.  The mystery starts from the opening page of the book and continues throughout with plenty of suspense as well as moments of frustration as you get to know the characters and what they are going through.  Even though this is the 4th book in the DS Maddie Ives series, I was able to read this book and understand what was going on without having read any of the other books preceding it.  The descriptions of the characters brought them to life in my mind and had me wishing for the book not to end.  I will be looking to read the other books in this series. There are some warnings that could trigger someone and that is abuse in varying forms.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy of He Knows Your Secrets, the fourth novel to feature DS Maddie Ives, set in the fictional town of Langthorne on the south coast of England.

Holly Maguire dies when the taxi she is in rolls off a cliff but her backpack contains secrets she died to expose. Meanwhile her girlfriend, Kelly Dale, is struggling not only with the death of her mother but to survive a dangerous situation. DS Maddie Ives is the only detective taking Holly’s death as more than a simple suicide and is determined to investigate it fully.

I thoroughly enjoyed He Knows Your Name which is a compelling read, chock full of authentic detail and characters. It is not for the faint hearted as it tackles the seamier side of life and its attendant violence. It is told from various points of view, primarily Maddie and Kelly, so the reader gets a broader picture of events but there is good and bad in that depending on how you like your novels. Kelly’s tale gives the reader a close look at the danger she’s in whereas Maddie is playing catch-up with what she and the reader know. Mostly I prefer to read a straightforward investigation but I found Kelly’s story compelling and fascinating in a car crash kind of way, her thought processes and actions are a ray of light in a horrible situation although they sometimes seem self-defeating. I found the entire novel gripping from the small details to the overarching plot line. It pulses with authenticity and never has a dull moment.

I love the main characters, the impulsive, feeling Maddie and her more restrained, introverted boss DI Harry Blaker. They have a great relationship on paper but I think Maddie might be a bit of a nightmare to work with. There is humour, bad temper and misunderstandings in their relationship but also support. I also loved Kelly Dale who turns out to be much more than I expected and her finale is wonderful and so satisfying.

He Knows Your Secrets is a great read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
3.5 stars rounded up for this 4th book in the Detective Maddie Ives series. A graphic crime thriller that has the police trying to stop an evil and powerful man who manipulates, exploits, controls and kills women.

A young woman, Holly Maguire, commits suicide by having a taxi drive off a steep cliff. She holds a rucksack that contains clues that she hopes will cause the police to investigate her death and bring down a monster. Holly's girlfriend, Kelly Dale, is snared in the clutches of a ruthless man who produces sex camera videos and uses violence to keep the women involved and in line. Anyone who threatens Freddie Rickman ends up dead, or locked into a life that he completely controls. Richman is seemingly untouchable and, because of his methods, no one connected to him will talk to the police. How will Maddie Ives and her boss, DI Harry Blaker, bring this crime lord down? NO SPOILERS.

This was quite a gruesome and suspenseful book with horrible people who made me cringe and innocent victims who tugged at my heartstrings. The narrative was full of action and quite tense as the police went about trying to sift through the clues to figure out the scope of the investigation and close the case. I liked the writing style and I would probably have felt closer to the characters had I read the previous books in this series -- I've only read the first one and not #2 or #3 so I likely missed some development and those important personal details that make a character real and understandable. I will definitely look for the next installment to find out more!

Thank you to NetGalley and Joffe Books for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.
OMG WHAT A BOOK!!!!!!
When I requested this book I cleared my reading list and this book went to the top of my pile. This author is that good!!!!! Phone switched off and casserole cooking. Cup of coffee by my side and new Charlie Gallagher book to read. I am now officially in reading heaven. I literally devoured this book in one sitting. The Maddie Ives series is one of my firm favourites. Be warned this author is not for the squeamish. Hard hitting, gritty and distressing in places. This author definitely knows how to tell a story and get the reader coming up for breath when needed. Got my heart racing and tapping my kindle faster and faster. One of my favourite authors has done it again. An easy five stars and so Highly Recommended. A MUST READ I LOVED IT!!!!!!
I would like to thank the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.