Cover Image: A Spell for Trouble

A Spell for Trouble

This is a great start to a new cozy mystery series! I loved the setting of Bellamy Bay. I am sucker for books set in the south so that was a bonus for me. I loved the paranormal aspect to the series and felt that the author did a really great job incorporating it into the story. The mystery itself was well done and well plotted with enough twists to keep it interesting. It also had a great cast of characters. I am already looking forward to book 2!
There is something about magical cozy mysteries that make me happy and this book fit the bill. A quaint and magical town, a mystery that keeps you guessing and wonderful characters. This book was a gem!
I love magical cozies!  They are a favorite of mine and this one was no different.  I loved the fact that Alex was just learning her magic.  And while I guessed the killer, there was a definite twist there.
I love this new cozy mystery! I read in one sitting! This book is one you can not put down!! Can not wait for next in series!
First I would like to thank Crooked Lane Books and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I ended up enjoying this story, but I will admit I had a hard time getting into it.

Alex returns to Bellamy Bay after more than 20yrs to visit family and try to get her life back together again. While there she learns she has "powers" that she forgot she had, and she becomes embroiled in a murder investigation. This first book in the series is all about secrets coming out in the open and finding your true self. Now that I have met these characters I will definitely return to Bellamy Bay.
A SPELL FOR TROUBLE by Esme Addison
The First Enchanted Bay Mystery

When Aleksandra Daniels quits her job in Manhattan, she knows she needs time with family, even if she hasn't seen her aunt and cousins in over twenty years. Ciocia Lydia and cousins Minka and Kamila welcome Alex with open arms and lots of Polish baked goods. Helping out in the family's apothecary shop, Alex can't help but enjoy the exotic teas and body care products, but is stunned when her aunt loses her temper on a customer. When the man is found dead the next day, it's thought to be a terrible accident. However, when it's discovered he was poisoned, Ciocia Lydia is arrested. Now it's up to Alex to prove her aunt's innocence, as that good looking detective thinks the case is closed. Can she trust her childhood friend? Or that nosy reporter? As Alex looks into the murder she also uncovers the truth about her family. Will she embrace her heritage or turn away from it as her parents did?

The first Enchanted Bay Mystery is a triumph! I love everything about it, from the Polish culture, to the family dynamics, from the paranormal to the police dog drop out. I love how food was weaved into the story. It's such an important, yet common and everyday part of traditional Polish life and really adds verisimilitude.  But there's more. There is a lot of moral ambiguity to be found here. Difficult decisions must be made, sometimes with no clear positive option. I especially love that the characters are not all "good". They all are shades of grey, some with darker secrets and leanings. I find a great affinity for Ciocia Lidia...and I could well imagine doing exactly what she did all those years ago. She's a strong, powerful, good woman, but there is a very realistic edge. I find myself at odds with the "good" detective, and rooting for the childhood friend. But neither of these two are all good...or all bad.

My favorite aspect of A SPELL FOR TROUBLE is the Polish connection. I fondly remember my Ciocia Brunia, and calling her that as well as Aunt Bert! My mouth was watering when everyone was munching on kolaczki and pączki. But even more than that, I thought it was brilliant how the Sobieski family's magick was entwined with the very real Mermaid of Warsaw.

A SPELL FOR TROUBLE introduces readers to a wonderful magickal world. Family and tradition are its foundation while a finely crafted mystery lies at its core. I can't wait to see Alex rediscover more about her family, herself, and her magick. Now if only I had a slice of sernik and a cup of Calm Down tea!
With merely the word “spell” in the title of Esme Addisons book “A Spell for Trouble”, I knew I wanted to read this delightfully covered book.  What’s not to love about a book that promises magick, apothecary and hints at mermaids?  I do love a good, magical, family centered series and this book did not disappoint.  Several times I thought I had figured out “who dunnit” but waited till the end to get to the truth.  This book is a light read, nothing deep or heavy, nor any ironic twists that has the flavorings of a young adult offering.  What it is, however, is a great way to spend some time with your coffee or cocktail in a quick and easy read that provides a good escape from life’s more pressing matters.  I would have liked to see some botanical recipes sprinkled about but the author chose instead to lightly mention them without detail.  That would have been fun!  Perhaps we will see some in the next installment of this Enchanted Bay series.  If you like easy reads with magical storylines, this is for you!   Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for a digital ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Nice new series! Alex goes to visit her aunt and cousins whom she hasn't seen in years. Although she spent summers there as a child she has forgotten a lot of her past. I like that the book brings back some of this for her. Her mother died when she was young and her father recently dying makes this the perfect time for her to go back. She discovers her hidden talents and finds herself in all new circumstances, both helping out in her aunt's store and learning about magic and her gifts. Throw in some murder and someone abusing their powers. I can't forget her faithful companion Athena. Pets always add so much to stories. I really liked this book and hope there are many more to come, it will be a lot of fun to see Alex learn more about her powers as a witch and learn more about the other Magicals around her.
I really enjoyed this first book by Esme Addison.

Frankly, it was so well written it emersed me immediately into Aleksandra Daniels' world.  A world now turned upside down due to family lies and secrets. Bellamy Bay, North Carolina is our seemingly picturesque setting with poor Aleksandra needing to find a murderer to save her aunt.  While I love a good romance with my mystery, I didn't enjoy the vague romantic aspects here as I simply didn't feel that they fit this story. But the characters were different and very engaging. The story as a whole was a joy to read with plenty of suspects for the mystery and still lots of unknown personal answers at the end. I look forward to seeing what happens in Ms. Addison's next Enchanted Bay mystery!

I believe this series will be best enjoyed by those who like Bailey Cates, Jenn McKinlay, Kate Young, and Lena Gregory.
A Spell For Trouble is the first book in the An Enchanted Bay Mystery series.

Alex Daniels is looking to turn her life around. Her company has passed her up for a promotion and she is still recovering from her father’s recent passing. Then she receives an invitation from her Aunt Lidia to come to Bellamy Bay, NC for a visit with her and her cousins. Alex hasn’t seen them for nearly twenty years, ever since her mother passed and her father didn’t want Alex to have anything to do with them and offering no explanation why.

Alex arrives in Bellamy Bay and while getting reacquainted with Aunt Lidia and her cousins, Minka and Kamila, Alex learns that Aunt Lidia and Minka have a herbal apothecary store. She welcomes the chance to help out at the store when Aunt Lidia asks her. One of the first customers she waits on is Randy Bennett who is looking for a potion that will bring him luck, it seems he is going through a messy divorce. When Lidia comes to
the front of the store she tells him to get and an argument breaks out and it soon escalates and finally, Lidia lifts him and slams him against a wall.

The next morning the body of Bennett is found in his home with the package of tea he had recently purchased from Lidia’s shop beside him. Early in the police investigation, Lidia is considered a possible suspect, but when they also learn of her confrontation and autopsy results showed he died from poisoning from the tea he had recently purchased, Lidia is soon arrested for his murder, but will soon be released on house arrest. Alex will now set out to clear her aunt’s name. She soon finds there is no shortage of suspects.

Shortly after arriving in Bellamy Bay Alex learns that she, her aunt, and family are water witches. She learns that her aunt’s coven has been warring with another faction for years and begins to wonder if they might be responsible for the murder and are trying to blame her aunt’s witches.

The book is well-written and has an enjoyable cast of believable characters. Witchcraft plays a good part in the book, but just lightly touches on the practice of witchcraft.
OᐯᗴᖇᐯIᗴᗯ: Alex hasn't been back to Bellamy Bay, North Carolina in over 20 years. But after an invitation from her Aunt Lidia and her cousins, Minka and Kamila, Alex decides to visit. Her aunt owns an herbal apothecary that is known for its potent remedies. Rumors swirl in the town that Alex's family is descendents of the mermaids and possess magical powers. Alex is quick to brush this off, but quickly learns there is more to the town than meets the eye. And when Aunt Lidia is arrested for murder, Alex is determined to figure out what role magic played in the death, if any, and prove her aunt's innocence.

ᗰY TᕼOᑌᘜᕼTᔕ: An enchanting start to a new cozy mystery series, I immediately liked Alex and her family. With several potential romantic interests in town as well, there is a hint of what may come in future books in the series. I'm intrigued by their power to hear each other's thoughts and communicate without talking. The mystery in this one was well done and the ending was satisfying!

ᖇᗩTIᑎᘜ: ★★★★

Series: An Enchanted Bay Mystery book 1

Genre: Cozy Mystery

Rating: 3.5 stars

Publisher: Crooked Lane Books

A spell for trouble is the first book in the An enchanted bay mystery series by Esme Addison. And while it wasn’t my favorite cozy it was still an enjoyable read. I loved the small fictional North Carolina beach town. The coast of the North Carolina is one of my favorite setting for books.

Alexandra Daniels finds herself back in Bellamy Bay her mom’s hometown and not only discovers she’s descendent from mermaids and is a witch but finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery. In which her aunt is a prime suspect she’s determined to clear her aunts name. But does that mean she’ll become the killers next victim?

This book was a quick read for charm and I’m not going to lie gave me Practical Magic vibes. I am looking forward to the next book in the series as well as other books by this author.

This book is a good book for readers who like a little magic with their cozies.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
An excellent start for a new series. I appreciated the cast of characters, the storyline and the setting.
The mystery is solid and kept me guessing.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
What a fun and unique new cozy mystery series. It's a paranormal, which is one of my favorites. The characters are intriguing, the mystery is interesting,  and the location sounds like it would be a great place to visit.  Recommended.

Thanks to the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, and NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor.
Alex may not have spent time with her aunt Lidia for twenty years but she's certain that she did not kill Randy.  Set in Bellamy Bay, North Carolina and filled with a healthy dose of paranormal (go with it), this is an excellent start to a new series about a woman who discovers her past, her family and that she's actually a witch descended from a mermaid. Yep.  Alex's father didn't want her to interact with Lidia, Minka, or Kamila but he never explained why.  When he dies and when she loses a promotion at work in NY, she up and takes off to spend time with them and in Lidia's apothecary shop, Botanika.  Small town stuff abounds, especially since the women have been the subject of much speculation over the years.  Cozy readers know that there will be more than one suspect, that the detective (in this case Jack) will be either a good guy (yep) or a dope (not), and that Alex is going to help exonerate Lidia.  This, however, is also about building your family.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  A good read and I'm looking forward to the next one.
“A Spell for Trouble” by Esme Addison the first instalment in the "An Enchanted Bay Mystery".  What a great start to a new paranormal cozy mystery series.

I found myself engrossed in the story and reading it over 2 days. It was entertaining, full of twists and turns as well as a few surprises.  I love that it included mermaids, witches and a fur baby .  The setting of Bellamy Bay was no e too.  I a sucker for a cozy set in North Carolina, I can see this series becoming a favourite.

The mystery is interesting and well plotted, and I loved the characters which are well developed.
The story about Alex's mom seems to be one that might be an intricate part of the series.

I highly recommend this series to all my cozy loving friends. I am looking forward to book two.

I requested and received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my OWN.
Family secrets sometimes are not best left buried in the past.  Delightful mystery that was a joy to read.
A Spell For Trouble by Esme Addison is the first in the Enchanted Bay Mystery series. The story centers around Aleksandra Daniels (Alex). She is returning to Bellamy Bay, North Carolina after two decades away, to visit extended family. While there, she plans to mostly relax and help out at her Aunt’s apothecary shop. Everything goes awry when her Aunt is accused of murder. As she investigates what happened and whodunnit, Alex learns some surprising facts about her family and even herself. This book was generally fantastic. It does require some patience at the beginning as the author introduces all the characters, setting, and magical system. After that first portion, I felt like the pacing was really good and there were plenty of surprising twists throughout the book. I liked that Alex was not suddenly some extremely proficient magic user, although she seemed to forget an awful lot about the abilities that others might have. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I look forward to reading the next in the series to see what happens with the other mysteries that Addison left open. Thank you to Esme Addison, Crooked Lane Books, and NetGalley for early access to this fantastic book!
Fantastic! I loved this paranormal mystery! This had a similar feel and tone to the Wishcrafting mystery series - primarily a mystery but with fantasy world-building and magic thrown in. I loved the characters and the mystery was well-crafted. I didn't even mind the hints at a love-triangle in this, and I usually hate those. I will definitely be keeping up with this series in the future!
Alex Daniels comes home to Bellamy Bay NC, after years away. Her father never wanted her to return. But with his death she has no other family and her aunt has always said she was welcome.
Aunt Lidia and her daughter run a herbal apothecary shop Botanika.  It sells teas, herbal remedies and other things. Alex feels part of a family again.

Her aunt  is arrested for murder. A customer is found dead and aunt Lidia is blamed. Alex knows that her family has some strange talents but she knows her aunt is no killer. So she starts sleuthing.

Of course her sleuthing gets her into trouble and Jack the police lieutenant it seems is always there. I was completely shocked by the killer and can't wait for the next book in this series.

Loved the magical story line of this book of the sea and mermaids.