Cover Image: What If Bunny's NOT a Bully?

What If Bunny's NOT a Bully?

I love elementary stories that rhyme. The illustrations in this story are gorgeous, especially the texture in each picture. Bullying is a hot topic and a term that children don't often fully understand. This book takes into account individual's backgrounds and past experiences impact on how we treat others. It also helps to explore social isolation, another form of bullying.
I liked that this book examined bullying from a different angle. It uses empathy to teach children that not all bullies are bad, and to think of why others might be behaving the way they are. I do think that it is a slightly optimistic look at bullying, as being empathetic is not always going to fix everything when someone is being a bully, but it could be good in conjunction with other stories about the subject
I really enjoyed this thoughtful book about bullying. It has been written in an approachable way so that children can realize that bullying is not black and white but has many sides to it. The text shows how a child can think through the whole issue which is wonderful. It is written in rhyme and the illustrations really help tell the story.
A story that teaches children that if someone does something mean; they should be given a chance to say they’re sorry before labeling them a bully.

Everyone is friends with Bunny until she was really mean one day.  After that, they labeled her a bully and nobody would play with her.  Then she was mean all the time.

The story examines how Bunny became a bully.  Finally, the group wonders if Bunny could be sorry for being mean.  They never give her a chance to apologize.  Once they invited her to play again, she said she was sorry.  She wasn’t considered a bully anymore.

This is a good story to teach kids that someone labeled a bully may have just made a mistake.  Everyone gets angry and makes mistakes once in a while.  We would all like to be given a second chance when we make a mistake.  Everyone gets angry and reacts inappropriately sometimes.

Very cute illustrations that accompany rhyming statements.  A very special book.

I received an ARC from KidsCanPress through NetGalley.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.  I am voluntarily submitting this review and am under no obligation to do so.
I really love the concept of this book. Many of my students struggle with overusing the "bully" term, and I would hope this book would help them see how that can affect other people. I think this really shows the importance of empathy, something that I emphasize with all of my grade levels. I could see myself not only using this for a counseling classroom lesson, but I could also see myself using it individually or in small groups for students dealing with some of these issues.
I also really like the illustrations. I thought it was a cute book that I know the kids would love. I added a physical copy to my school counseling wish list.
This book is a beautiful story as everyone deserves a second chance. Everyone makes mistakes. That's what happened to Bunny.
I highly recommend it for children, send a beautiful message.
What If Bunny's NOT a Bully? written by Lana Button and illustrated by Christine Battuz turns the method of dealing with a playground bully on its head. It contrasts the usual reaction of avoiding the bully with wondering WHY she's been mean in the first place. The young animal children begin to explore the reasons why Bunny has been a bully, and to build compassion toward her. This, in turn, makes them look at their own reaction to wanting to exclude Bunny from play.  This is a perfect opportunity for teachers and parents to talk to their children about play, kindness, social skills, empathy, and forgiveness.  The story is excellent and the rhyming text is sweet and informative. The illustrations are also so lovely.  I think children will enjoy this story and will relate to it.

Thank you to Netgalley and Kids Can Press for the opportunity to read this title in exchange for a honest review,
According to Gertie the elephant, Bunny had apparently always been a bully. Everyone goes along with Gertie and now the kids want nothing to do with Bunny until Kitty comes into the picture.  She questions things such as what made Bunny a bully; she even wonders about   Bunny when she is old: Will she still be a bully?

In some ways the story becomes a reverse bullying situation with the kids all ganging up on Bunny, until Kitty and her questions come in to play.  Then the kids realize what they themselves are doing to Bunny.

This is a definitely an important picture book for young children (the book is aimed for ages 3-7) to help them understand the subjects of bullying, inclusion, understanding, empathy, and the ever important second chances.  This ‘reverse bullying’ angle also shows children what it may be like to walk in another person’s shoes.

The illustrations definitely add to the story as they show the emotions the kids are all feeling. Small children who can’t read would definitely get the story from the pictures as the story is being read to them.

Many thanks to the publisher Kids Can Press for granting me a copy to read and review. It was a pleasure!
What if Bunny's NOT a Bully? written by Lana Button and illustrated by Christine Battuz gives a very different view on the so called playground bully.  I think there are many good story books which focus on how to handle a bully, but this one asks the simple question:  :why is she a bully?'.  The children then begin to question why Bunny is a bully and what if she just needed to be forgiven for her past mistakes.  The children also take a look at their own actions of excluding Bunny from play.  This is a perfect opportunity for teachers and parents to talk to their children about playtime, social skills, empathy, and forgiveness.  The story is excellent and the illustrations are gorgeous.  I think children will enjoy having this story read to them.
I really really enjoyed this story by Lana Button! What If Bunny's NOT a Bully? teaches a very important, and seldom discussed lesson. With a wonderful lyrical rhyming pattern that is fun to read aloud, kids are able to realize that sometimes bullies are just people that made a mistake, that it is important to give everyone a chance to make amends.

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Kids Can Press for the opportunity to read this title in exchange for a honest review,
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

Adorable book for children.    I read this to my ten year old and six year old children.   It was an important lesson for both children, but more so my youngest.

We liked the rhymes and the illustrations!
Very cute book, loved the rhyming.  This book would be great to read during a morning meeting.  This would really help when teachers notice this happening and can pull this book out to discuss it right away.
This is a great book on giving people second chances. So often people are labeled bullies when they just had an off day and handled things poorly. There are truly bullies but sometimes people just need a second chance to right their wrongs. This book teaches kids that it's not nice to shun people after a mistake and to offer another chance. I read this with my 7 and 4 year old daughters and they both loved the illustrations. My 7 year old struggled a bit with the story just because she's a black and white kind of kid and really needed this lesson. She's not a bully but can feel that other kids are based on their behavior, when really they aren't bullies, they just made a poor choice.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book for our honest opinion.
Some friends have gathered at the playground to play, when Bunny suddenly appears and because of her reputation as a bully, everyone is paralyzed by fear.

Gertie the elephant, suggests avoiding her and staying together so Bunny will leave them alone.

But Kitty doesn’t see it. She doesn’t think that’s the solution or a good way to act. She reminds them that Bunny used to play with them, that she wasn’t always a bully. That something must have happened for her to behave like that.

What if Bunny’s not a Bully? is a beautiful children’s book, against bulliying and that, from my point of view, all children should read. It approaches bullying and everything around it from a different perspective.

It encourages curiosity in children and motivates them to respond to a number of things before seeking solutions to the problem. It also encourages them not to be content with the first impressions or opinions of others on a subject or a person.

It is a story that shows us that before we judge, we must learn to know others and to take into account their circumstances. That it is important to learn to forgive and give another chance to those who need it, so that they do it better next time.

A very special book!
What If Bunny's NOT a Bully? is a picture book with sweetly rhyming text for the youngest readers. Due out 3rd March 2020 from Kids Can Press, it's 32 pages and will be available in hardback and ebook formats.

This book has a good message about inclusiveness and giving people another chance as well as being aware that everyone can do things which they regret. The text by Lana Button is short and simple and scans well. The typeset is easy to read and the formatting gives a good and readable contrast. The illustrations, by Christine Battuz are done in an appealingly whimsical collage with hand drawn elements and include a surprising amount of detail which encourages a lingering look (or hunt and find side game when reading).

Four stars. This would make a superlative reading circle book, classroom library book, read-to-me, or gift.

This was a sweet quick read all about bullying, taking chances on each other and trying again.

The illustrations are super sweet the characters all look lovely and their varying vibrant colours will be sure to catch children's eyes and help children take in the story and it's lessons.

Many thanks to the publishers for allowing me to review this book for them!
I absolutely loved this book and can't wait for it to arrive in store! I I think this is a very important book for kids and grownups alike, I think this is going to become a "go to" title in our store. 5 stars
This book was an absolutely amazing read!  It is one that makes a child think through what causes someone to be a bully and if that means they are no longer someone you could play with.  It is a book I could see myself reading over and over to my children.  Definitely on my wish list for when it is published!  Thank you for the hard lesson you are sharing in this book.

This book was given to me an an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated in any way.
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This Is a lovely rhyming book about putting yourself in another's shoes and being emphatic towards others. It gives a good message about how sometimes we all make mistakes but that mistake doesnt define us and we all deserve a second chance.
This is a wonderful children's book about bullying. It is not the normal type of story though. When Gertie the Elephant tells everyone to stay away from Bunny because she is a bully, Kitty starts to wonder. Is Bunny really a bully? How did she become a bully? Is she sorry about what she did? I liked that this book talks about what bullying is and what it isn't. When someone does something that is bullying behaviour, does that mean they are a bully? What happens if they are sorry, but not given the chance to show it or redeem themselves? Does that make those who shun her also bullies? This is a great book to start discussions about these issues. The rhyming way the story is told produces an easy reading cadence. The illustrations are also well done and interesting. They can also start discussions as actions sometimes speak louder than words. The emotions shown on the faces add much to the story. I liked the ending of this one and certainly recommend this story to primary classrooms and families. The message that everyone makes mistakes, and that forgiveness and making things right is important. A book that needs to be in every school library.