Cover Image: Heir of Lies

Heir of Lies

I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the writing style, but the story was a miss for me. It felt a bit strangely paced and overall predictable. The world building was confusing for me, but I really enjoyed the characters.

Thank you kindly to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for this review copy.
I liked the beginning but overall i had a hard time connecting to the characters. I was also confused by the world and most of the story was lost on me. This book had a lot of potential but i don't think it was for me.
This one wasn’t really for me, it was well written and I actually thought the writing style was good, but the story felt a bit oddly paced, and although I liked the writing style there were just too many characters and they weren’t developed enough for me
A solid YA/NA book. It has an intriguing story, relatable characters, The story didn't captivate me, but I feel I'm not really in its target audience. I expect readers to relate to characters much more than I.
An amazing Job! Mallory McCartney did a fantastic job, and I can't wait to read more. Heir of lies was fantastic and I couldn't put it down. We can not wait to read more from upcoming author Mallory McCartney!
Going with a 3.5 star rating for this book. It was a good action packed read, but I couldn't really understand the magic system in fullness and there were tons of characters to keep track of. I think if I had a physical copy it wouldn't have been to bad to follow along with, but with the eARC it was just too much.

I enjoyed the characters, but at the same time they annoyed me. I felt lost at some parts, but was pulled into the action and drama. The whole Adair dark powers thing still trips me up. I don't know if I feel bad for him or if I just hate him.

Emory, Brokk and Memphis were all great. I enjoyed the Academy and the world of Kiero in general. The ending left me wanting more so I do plan to re-read this book when it releases in physical form.

Overall, I do recommend it if you're looking for an action packed fantasy with an interesting magic system and good characters.
I am hugely conflicted about this book.  On one hand, it is really well written, and I mean REALLY well written.  The prose flows beautifully and the characters are all well rounded with clear voices.

My issue is that the story, the characters the interactions and the journeys are just too familiar, and once I'd felt that nagging feeling of having read this before, i just couldn't shake it.
The book started out a bit slow, in a good way. The build up was great and the story flowed. The action was very plentiful. Then the story seem to lag. From after Em was taken to Earth through the end. I was dissatisfied with the story. I did t even want to finish it. Alas I persevered and finished it.
I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This is an amazing book cram packed full of magic that left me breathless.
The characters are all unique, diverse and likeable. This book sucks you in straight from the beginning and is full of action, malice, fights between good and evil, trickery, betrayals, love, anger and despair.
The ending has put my head in a spin and I cant wait to devour the next installment!
This is a series you don't want to miss!
The book description is a little misleading as the story doesn't really follow Emory Fae. If you are looking for a strong female protagonist, don't stop here. Emory is a spoiled princess who is shunted out of the way for most of the 'time'  that passes, then has to deal with returning. The story is told from the perspective of others mainly. The other characters are not really individually developed, they feel very much the same. The plot is not always clear - it can be confusing figuring out what is happening at times. Sometimes it felt like words or sentences had been left out. I know this is already book 1 of a series, but it feels like it needs to be cut down to a couple or even several books and the different aspects fleshed out more thoroughly. The action feels a little awkward - the characters do a lot of repetitive movements and sometimes to no purpose. I love the idea of the story - the execution just feels a bit rushed.
I was excited to read this, and after reading it, I'm even more excited about this series! The level of detail and description is captivating, and really helps to bring this story alive! I loved the characters, and I look forward to seeing more of them in the next book!
Unfortunately this book didn't work for me. It didn't connect with me and I found it very confusing and I couldn't understand what was going on for the majority of the time.
There were different POVs in the story that I didn't enjoyed. The story is about Emory but we didn't see her POV.
Also, I couldn't understand the world and the magic system in it.
I liked the writing though.
Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this book, maybe it isn't for me.
Thank you to netgalley.co.uk for giving me a free copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review.

This isn't a bad book, but it's about a girl who is torn from her ordinary life into something extraordinary and joins a rebellion. It is something that has been done a lot before.
However, the reason I read this book until the end was because it was a well-written book with a good pace throughout it.
This just didn’t really work for me. I somehow fall outside the target audience for this one and don’t feel I should be giving an opinion since it’s not especially informed. The theme is betrayal which would normally be my bag. The characters were a bit too interchangeable which may be a reader fault since I simply didn’t connect with them. Three stars for writing and plotting but please read other reviews for more coherent opinions.
This novel was not really told for the point of view of Emory, but the first part of the book alternates between Adair, Memphis, and Brokk, even though the description sounds like the book revolves around her. Emory seems like a follower and a bit spoiled and she frustrated me as a character. The first part of the novel shows how the Academy did not succeed as planned by Emory's parents. Betrayal is a common theme in this novel as well as making poor choices. The next part occurs years later. I felt that the description of this novel does not correlate with the flow of the novel. It seems to only tell half a story, when there is so much more.
This book was, unfortunately, not a good fit for me and it left me thoroughly confused. Had I not read that this was a re-release I would think that this was maybe book number two in a series as there was so much I did not get or understand in Part 1!  That is not a good sign, especially not if the novel is being re-released, then the story should have been edited to not create this type of confusion for the reader(s). There were so many characters just being presented and handed their own character chapters but made in a this very confusing way, as the chapters were interwoven (that is to say what char1 did in chapter 1 was referenced in char2's chapter).

As I was so confused about what I was reading, I spend the most time figuring out who the character currently presenting their story were rather than actually understanding the story BUT to my understanding this is a sort of 'normal girl falls into fantasy world of which she is a part of the royal family' but there's added backstory before she comes (back?) to the world itself? The time skips in Part 2 made me believe I understood the story more, but then back to utter confusion in Part 3. I also feel like Part 3 was far too short, it just sort of ended on a weird note. Maybe the whole of part 3 should have been put in book 2 instead to make it less flat? I also feel like Part 1 should be the most interesting part, but there was just too much information in the world building for me to have anything to focus on.