The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Weird, Wild Names

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jun 2020

Nonfiction for young readers at its finest! The writing is packed with information in a casual, conversational tone that pairs nicely with the page design, color palette, and use of photos and illustrations. I imagine students and animal fans will be referencing this book for years to come!
I really enjoyed leafing through this book of creatures whose only commonality is that they have been given interesting names. I was especially excited to learn about creatures I had never heard of before. Full of fascinating information and wonderfully illustrated, I'm looking forward to sharing it with grandchildren.
The bright colors throughout mostly draw attention and excitement, but a few of the page layouts were very hard on the eyes and difficult to read onscreen - white lettering on superbright neon green in particular. I hope the colors will be less harsh on paper.
Thanks to NetGalley and Workman Publishing for the advance read.
Many thanks for this book!

It's a fun, informative wat for chldren to learn about litte-known animals throughout the world.  I'd even use this in Early Years' education to provide an initial broad knowledge of animals (Not expecting them to get it correct, of course)
Thank you again for the ARC of this funny book!  I love animals and this is a good book to use to share this repect and love.
My student are going to love this book! It so up their allies!

1. It is an animal book --- Major win for any elementary students!

2. It features wacky, weird, and gross animals with even weirder names --- Extreme win for elementary students!

3. It is a nonfiction book with great illustrations --  Home run win for elementary students.

I will be buying this book for my class, and it will be devoured by my students. They love books that feature animals.
A very fun, informative and interesting guide to a variety of animals around the world. Kids should love this one.
I was excited to find this, as I grew up reading similar books, and now my sister (12) can also enjoy them. I've read enough Animal Facts type books to know some are better than others, but this one was different, and I planned to recommend it to her if I enjoyed it...Well, it didn't take long to decide not only did I enjoy it, but I couldn't put it down! Normally I read Non-Fiction, especially fact books, a bit at a time, but this one is so fun and unique, I couldn't help but plowed  through the easy-to-read format, and love learning about all these strange animal names! I've always loved animals, the weirder the better, growing up I'd fall asleep to Animal Planet, especially The Crocodile Hunter and similar, so I've absorbed animal facts since I was a toddler, but I was surprised and excited to find that I was only familiar with a few mentioned in here, so I enjoyed learning about all the new animals as I read, which might have been what kept me reading instead of stopping after short sprints, haha.
I loves me some fish and chips, but I didn't know such a thing as the potato cod existed before now.  It's not the best way to combine the two foodstuffs, however, but that's the shtick of this book – showing us the most unusually-named critters on this planet and discussing their nature.  Goblin sharks, moonrats, the sarcastic fringehead, go-away birds, and so much more all feature, in a really child-friendly way.  No subject outstays its welcome, as all the chapters come in under four pages.  What's actually the prime benefit of this book is that it manages to use its encyclopaedic approach to educate about so many different aspects of nature, from parasites to unique biomes to this, that and the other.  There are a lot of animals here, and while the book never thrusts a particular lesson down our throat, just by reading these pages you'd learn a heck of a lot about the world.  If you doubt that, skim to the glossary at the end, which will boggle the eyes of many a Scrabble player, and really impress biology teachers with the breadth of the terms it tries to introduce us to.  So this flippant book actually will end up improving our thinking about the varied world around us, even while it only appears to be telling us about the snot-faced dungbird, or whatever (I made that one up, in case you weren't sure).  Some people will debate the value of spending effort on so many illustrations when photos would have been better, but for me this was a wonderful volume, and kids will relish the absurd contents.
Bright bold colours and wonderful illustrations invite the reader to open the cover of this book, waiting and wondering what amazing information will be discovered.

It is an epic learning journey for the weird and wonderfully named creatures around the world, in the forests, oceans and deserts.  Some will make you chuckle, laugh out loud or gasp in shock.  Reasons behind the names are given as well as scientific facts about the names, creatures and their behaviours.

There is great use of new vocabulary and explanations for the un-scientific reader and a handy glossary at the back to ensure overall understanding.

The amazing illustrations are supplemented with actual photos of the creatures so there is an effective balance between the two.

At the back there is a fun name generator to create your own creature name.  Endless amounts of fun with that one!
Our favourite creatures and their names are the Yeti Crab and Pink Fairy Armadillo....both fantastic creatures and funny names.  Another favourite of ours was the Bone Eating Snot Flower Worm.

This would be perfect for class reading corners as I could guarantee endless amounts of fun in learning about strange named wonders in our world.
I love the message about conservation in the back as well ensuring our young readers grow up with the empathy and understanding that they can protect and save our world by learning more, and making changes in their world.

Loved this book!
3 for neutral, was not able to download, if able to download I will update.  I can never download the ones with only a protected ePub.
Animal enthusiasts of every age will love this book about animals with wild, wacky names.  I learned about so many different animals I had never heard of before.  The names are an absolute hoot!  The text features are fantastic and will engage readers as they learn about these interesting animals.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for a copy of this text in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book was so interesting. I love learning about animals and have ever since I was a kid. Some of my favorite strange names from this book are Sparklemuffin Peacock Spider, Tassled Wobbegong, Headless Chicken Monster, and the animal I connect most to the White-bellied Go-away Bird.

What a fun book!
I have to have this book for my library! This book starts out explaining the difference in scientific names and common names, then moves on to showing the animals. My favorite was the Sarcastic Fringehead fish. Unfortunately, he is not the snide, snarky kind of fish I was hoping for, but rather I learned that "sarcastic" used to mean "biting".This book is full of information about various strangely named (and shaped) creatures that are a lot of fun to read about. I enjoyed this book and an thinking of changing my own name to "Sparkle Muffin Peacock Spider" because I could never have a bad day again!
It’s  science, it’s animals and these guys are just weird. Sound like a book kids will enjoy? I’m sure of it! This is a parade of creatures notable for their bizarre, baffling, and just-plain-funny names. The book has bright vivid illustrations and actual photographs. But not are photographed all because some of the animals reside 2,000 to 4,000 feet deep in the water off the coast of Australia.

A very colorful book, but I read the book on a kindle and had great difficulty reading white print on a lime green background or blue on bright red. This may not be an issue with the hard copy.

Learn of the Waxy Monkey Tree Frog, who lives high in the forests of South America. The “waxy” refers to its skin secretions and the “monkey” comes from its long, simian fingers, perfect for climbing. Then meet the White-Bellied Go-Away Bird... look it up to hear it’s cry. Ok you may have to incorporate your imagination for this guy’s cry.  You’ll love the Fried Egg Jellyfish, and the Bone-Eating Snot Flower Worm and the Chicken Turtle who is actually a turtle that does not taste like chicken!

But I beg to differ with the Ugly Animal Preservation Society who claim the The Smooth Headed Blobfish is the ugliest animal. I think he’s cute and love able. I was surprised that the wombat poops out square scat. Square? That’s some kind of talent.

There are over 70 creatures divided into four Name sections: Funny, Magical, Delicious,  and then names that are Just Plain Weird.  While the text is certainly engaging, I feel many readers will tire of the wordiness. It’s one of those books you pick up read awhile ,put it down and pick it up again and again. A coffee table kind of book and a whole lot of fun!
A library must have.
This is a great book and would make the perfect gift for animal lovers and trivia buffs of any age. It's a children's book but will not bore adults. I've already whipped a few facts I learned from it out in casual conversation!
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Kids love science, kids love animals, and kids love everything—everything—weird. Introducing The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Wild, Wacky Names, a science-based illustrated celebration of creatures notable for their bizarre, baffling, and just-plain-funny names.

Meet the Waxy Monkey Tree Frog, who lives high in the forests of South America—the “waxy” refers to its skin secretions and the “monkey” comes from its long, simian fingers, perfect for climbing. The White-Bellied Go-Away Bird—guess what its cry sounds like? Plus the Fried Egg Jellyfish, the Sparklemuffin Peacock Spider, the Bone-Eating Snot Flower Worm, and many more. While the names of these species are undeniably curious, the heart of the book is their just-as-curious habits, appearance, abilities—and the stories of how they acquired their unusual monikers.

There are over 70 creatures in all, brought to life with full-colour illustrations and photographs and detailed, engagingly written text.

I really enjoyed this book and I am nowhere near being a child or tween with an interest in funny, intriguing animals. I loved the story behind the animals' names and the illustrations of them were cute. A perfect end of the school year gift for an inquisitive child in your life. Once they finish this book, they will be an animal lover on the level of Bindi Irwin!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🐙🐙🐙🐙🐙