Cover Image: The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Weird, Wild Names

The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Weird, Wild Names

What a great book! I had no idea animals had such weird names. The art is a combination of hand-drawn, realistic images and photographs and it works perfectly with the text. I already have several middle-grades readers in mind who will absolutely love this. It's on my shortlist for new juvenile nonfiction.
The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Wild, Wacky Names, by Steve and Mathew Murrie, starts off strong with a chapter explaining how animals are named by the scientific community and the use of common names.  I was a little disappointed by the format of the remainder of the book as not all animals had photographs, and although the illustrations included were beautiful, the focus of the book is on the “Wacky” names which are usually derived from the animals appearance. I can see lots of children picking up this book because of the cool title, but not spending much time reading the content.

I received a temporary e-ARC copy of this book from NetGalley and Workman Publishing Company in exchange for an honest review.
I really wanted to like this title but was disappointed with it. If you're going to have a book that mentions intriguing sounding animals then have a photo of each animal. The wordy text and the combination of scattered photos and remaining illustrations will not be engaging enough to hold the intended audiences attention. Sadly, a missed opportunity in an area where books are plentiful and stand-outs are few.
This is a great book to hand to any animal lover or kids who love to laugh while they learn. The format is great and I love (as will my students) that there are actual photos throughout. Hand to students who enjoy Cute as an Axolotl, Pink is for Blobfish, and any of Steve Jenkins books.
3.5- Super neat animals! There are sketches/drawings of each animal and often a picture, but I wish there had been a photo of each animal included. The text is conversational in tone and easy to read. I like the layout of the book: a page of text about the animal, lots of bright colors, and a small box that tells the species, where the animal is from, and a fun fact. The book has animals sorted into chapters based on appearance or name, and the end of the book features runners-up who didn't quite make the main part of the book. Lots of great science vocab in here too (and a great glossary). The last part of the book includes how to discover and name an organism, a wild/wacky name generator, the glossary, and a note about conservation and further reading. A great resource for any life science classroom!

Thanks Netgalley for the ARC! All opinions are my own.
This is a lovely book. It's nicely presented and features lots of animals that are not well known, so children will enjoy finding out about them and learning lots of new information. This will be a great addition to the resources we use for our Rainforest topic.
Thank you NetGalley and Workman Publishing Company for sharing this information eARC with me in exchange for an honest review.

I was immediately drawn to the colorful cover and hilarious title! My students love to read Weird But True books, so I figured I needed to read this to see if this could be another nonfiction book they would enjoy.

I really liked the colorful pages and illustrations combined with pictures. I also liked that it was organized by types of names and that each animal had a very short and concise description, but was entertaining to read as well.

I definitely think this book will be a popular one in my class.
The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Wild, Wacky Names,  written by Matthew Murrie and Steve Murrie, and illustrated by Julie Benbassat, is currently scheduled for release on June 9 2020. It is a a science-based illustrated celebration of creatures notable for their bizarre, baffling, and just-plain-funny names. Meet the Waxy Monkey Tree Frog, who lives high in the forests of South America—the “waxy” refers to its skin secretions and the “monkey” comes from its long, simian fingers, perfect for climbing. The White-Bellied Go-Away Bird—guess what its cry sounds like? Plus the Fried Egg Jellyfish, the Sparklemuffin Peacock Spider, the Bone-Eating Snot Flower Worm, and many more. While the names of these species are undeniably curious, the heart of the book is their just-as-curious habits, appearance, abilities—and the stories of how they acquired their unusual monikers. There are over 70 creatures in all,  with full-color illustrations and photographs and detailed text.

The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Wild, Wacky Names was a really interesting read. I have always been a fan of learning about the weird and wacky of the world, so some of the animals described (like the naked mole rat and blobfish) were not new to me. However, most of the creatures were at least partially unknown to me- and frankly man of their names could double as awesome band names. The artwork was simply amazing. The images were very well done, with great detail, and added significantly to the book as a whole. The text was well written, and while some of the terminology was advanced definitions and explanations were woven perfectly into the text. I like that there was also a glossary at the end of the book, along with some resources for further reading and information on conservation. I also liked the use of text boxes and small commentary on almost every page. I found the balance of science and humor kept the reader's attention and interest which in turn keeps them reading. My daughter just might be getting this book for her next birthday.

The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Wild, Wacky Names is a fun and informative read that I think will be a favorite for middle grade and older readers.
Catchy title, brightly colored cover and interior illustrations and odd looking animals with equally bizarre names, but the intended audience for this book is unclear to me. The text is lengthy and geared to reading levels much higher than those who would be drawn to the cover. Those readers looking for the depth of information contained in the text would likely prefer more realistic-looking photographs and drawings. Reader at my 4th and 5th grade libraries would probably check it out, but few would do more than flip through the pages and the junior high students I used to teach would walk right by the juvenile-looking cover.
An excellent  addition to any school library with either upper elementary grades or middle school students.  The authors present a wide variety of animals that are not very common, and explain why their names make them stand out.  The reader will learn some interesting  facts about these friends, learn some basic notions about taxonomy, and enjoy their humor and wit.  I personally plan to purchase this book for my library!
This is a book that explores animal by their strange monikers that they have been given by scientists and allows readers to get an introductory look into some really weird animals. But as a result of its length, though, it can be quite a heavy read for the young reading audience that it focuses to reach.

Even so as a result of its heavy reading, part of the density is attributable to just pages that are focused on illustrations. Other parts that add to the pages is a further moniker trivia spread, the in-depth glossary in the back, a two-page spread on how to explore your local environment for possible new species followed by a name generator and more information to help you further your read.

The information was pretty factual but presented in a nice format with the first part of the book being organized by animals being grouped with similar monikers whether they were magical, food related, fiendish-sound, weird, etc. Second of all each section explored the animals within it by devoting a few pages to each while another mini section was included in each to allow the reader to get to know more animals, usually related somehow to the previous-mentioned animal.

The writing was light. Add trivia bubbles were given to the title of the animal to explain parts of the name. Furthermore there was an information box that included the scientific name, its habitat and some interesting fact for each. Plus all this there are a few paragraphs that explain name origins, behavior of the special and some more. Even with all the factual information there is some attempts at trying to ease the writing by adding a bit of levity to it.

I did have two other complaints with the book while the first one was such a big one that it made me drop the book's rating to a 3-star. And this was the inclusion of the blobfish. A blobfish out of water and exposed to pressure is the one that is quite known for its weird humanish appearance but the actual blobfish doesn't resemble that. The entry doesn't include any original pictures of the poor fish but nor does it explain the weird appearance the blobfish has, which I feel is a betrayal to the reader just as much as providing wrong factual information. It just isn't right while it made me keep looking up all the other animals I didn't know to confirm their factual appearance.

The other complaint I have is based on the illustrations being all over the page as there are vague outlines, colored illustrations and some photographs as well. In my opinion I would have wished the editor would have just chosen to have gone with photographs in a streamlined manner and to have also included the picture of the blue dragon sea slug instead of just the form as that is one cool looking slug.

Finally since it is still in the process of being edited the page numbers are missing but I am guessing those will be edited before the actual release date.

All in all it was a nice book even for all of its problems and one that would be good for a science read, especially for those who love getting to know more about unique animals. Just be wary about the misinformation that may be included or not included when you read it.

***I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review***
My 7 year old loved this book! It had us both laughing hysterically. Who knew there were animals like bone eating snot flower worm or the sparkle muffin peacock spider... Not only was the book entertaining it had alot of good information on the animals and how they are named

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
You will be swept away with just how much you don't know about the animal kingdom, but wish you had known earlier with this book!  Lots of great material about the science of animal nomenclature, great photos, interesting chapters, and approachable writing for any reader.  My young son was constantly peeking over my shoulder.  If you are curious and want to learn more there is a great appendix of fun!  A great resource for all libraries!
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* This book had so much great information! I thought Id be able to read it in a day but there was a lot of little facts and stuff, it was really great!
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This book is fantastic and full of some of the craziest animal names and I'd only heard of about 8 of them.
This book will fascinate children and would be great for animal lovers of all ages, even adults! This book is full of information which is presented in a fun way that is understandable to children.
This would make a great gift!
This book was just fun - crazy names of some crazy animals with brief blurbs about each.  I read an eARC from Netgalley and will be curious to see the final version.  I felt that some of the illustrations were not finished and so I'd like to see what it looks like.  My students will enjoy this accessible, quirky book.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the advance read of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The pictures in this books are certainly eye-catching and the information quite spell-binding.
So get out your magnifier and start looking for these and other animals, fish, and insects (with the help of your parents).
You might find one you can name .
I requested and received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley and Workman Publishing Company in exchange for an honest review.

I thought this book was laid out in an easy to read format, the information provided for each animal was brief and informative. I love that the author provides the scientific name and common name(s) for each animal and a description of how they were given these odd names.
At my job I provide a little blurb about weird animals for the monthly newsletter and had heard about most of these animals already.  However, I was still able to learn about quite a few new animals that I hadn’t already heard of and my favorite new animals were the Hellbender, the Bone Eating Snot Flower Worm, and the Cookiecutter Shark.

#TheScreamingHairyArmadilloand76OtherAnimalswithWildWackyNames #NetGalley
This entertaining collection of oddly-named animals is sure to delight budding biologists. From the kid-friendly explanation of scientific classification to the Wild and Wacky Name Generator, this book is filled with facts and fun. This informative nonfiction volume would be a great addition to any elementary school library collection.
This is wonderfully written book. It is a bit dry, but is enjoyable all the same. My 6th grader loooved it my 2nd grader enjoyed listening to it, but not so much reading it.