Cover Image: The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Weird, Wild Names

The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Weird, Wild Names

Bright bold colours and wonderful illustrations invite the reader to open the cover of this book, waiting and wondering what amazing information will be discovered.

It is an epic learning journey for the weird and wonderfully named creatures around the world, in the forests, oceans and deserts.  Some will make you chuckle, laugh out loud or gasp in shock.  Reasons behind the names are given as well as scientific facts about the names, creatures and their behaviours.

There is great use of new vocabulary and explanations for the un-scientific reader and a handy glossary at the back to ensure overall understanding.

The amazing illustrations are supplemented with actual photos of the creatures so there is an effective balance between the two.

At the back there is a fun name generator to create your own creature name.  Endless amounts of fun with that one!
Our favourite creatures and their names are the Yeti Crab and Pink Fairy Armadillo....both fantastic creatures and funny names.  Another favourite of ours was the Bone Eating Snot Flower Worm.

This would be perfect for class reading corners as I could guarantee endless amounts of fun in learning about strange named wonders in our world.
I love the message about conservation in the back as well ensuring our young readers grow up with the empathy and understanding that they can protect and save our world by learning more, and making changes in their world.

Loved this book!
3 for neutral, was not able to download, if able to download I will update.  I can never download the ones with only a protected ePub.
Animal enthusiasts of every age will love this book about animals with wild, wacky names.  I learned about so many different animals I had never heard of before.  The names are an absolute hoot!  The text features are fantastic and will engage readers as they learn about these interesting animals.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for a copy of this text in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book was so interesting. I love learning about animals and have ever since I was a kid. Some of my favorite strange names from this book are Sparklemuffin Peacock Spider, Tassled Wobbegong, Headless Chicken Monster, and the animal I connect most to the White-bellied Go-away Bird.

What a fun book!
I have to have this book for my library! This book starts out explaining the difference in scientific names and common names, then moves on to showing the animals. My favorite was the Sarcastic Fringehead fish. Unfortunately, he is not the snide, snarky kind of fish I was hoping for, but rather I learned that "sarcastic" used to mean "biting".This book is full of information about various strangely named (and shaped) creatures that are a lot of fun to read about. I enjoyed this book and an thinking of changing my own name to "Sparkle Muffin Peacock Spider" because I could never have a bad day again!
This is a great book and would make the perfect gift for animal lovers and trivia buffs of any age. It's a children's book but will not bore adults. I've already whipped a few facts I learned from it out in casual conversation!
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Kids love science, kids love animals, and kids love everything—everything—weird. Introducing The Screaming Hairy Armadillo and 76 Other Animals with Wild, Wacky Names, a science-based illustrated celebration of creatures notable for their bizarre, baffling, and just-plain-funny names.

Meet the Waxy Monkey Tree Frog, who lives high in the forests of South America—the “waxy” refers to its skin secretions and the “monkey” comes from its long, simian fingers, perfect for climbing. The White-Bellied Go-Away Bird—guess what its cry sounds like? Plus the Fried Egg Jellyfish, the Sparklemuffin Peacock Spider, the Bone-Eating Snot Flower Worm, and many more. While the names of these species are undeniably curious, the heart of the book is their just-as-curious habits, appearance, abilities—and the stories of how they acquired their unusual monikers.

There are over 70 creatures in all, brought to life with full-colour illustrations and photographs and detailed, engagingly written text.

I really enjoyed this book and I am nowhere near being a child or tween with an interest in funny, intriguing animals. I loved the story behind the animals' names and the illustrations of them were cute. A perfect end of the school year gift for an inquisitive child in your life. Once they finish this book, they will be an animal lover on the level of Bindi Irwin!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🐙🐙🐙🐙🐙