Surrender

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Feb 2020

The blurb enticed me to request a copy of this book and the premise seemed very promising. The execution however was neither of these things. A collection of repetitive and pretentious ramblings by the narrator made it almost impossible to finish. I will not be providing a full review for this book.

Thank you to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Mariner Books) for providing a digital copy.
I thought that this might be a enjoyable read but found that it just wasn't the book for me. Since I didn't read this book, I will not be writing a full review for it.

Thank You for the chance to read this book!
An interesting take on the dystopian genre. In Surrender, an unnamed narrator and his family are relocated to a "transparent city." It's just like it sounds - a completely glass/crystal city where everyone can see EVERYTHING that everyone else is doing. Interesting concept, and there were a few aspects of the story that could have been explored a bit more thoroughly, but then again it was likely the author's intent to leave some to the imagination. Thought-provoking for sure, especially given our already too-public lives thanks to social media. Who do we become when our whole lives are on display? We inherently cannot be the same people - we project only the good parts of ourselves, so what happens when that is all we can project? This small novel packs a good punch.
Spare and disconnected, Ray Loriga's short dystopian novel Surrender examines what happens in a faltering, unnamed country after a mysterious decades-long war.  Our unnamed narrator and his family, complete with a makeshift child, are being shepherded toward a "transparent city," where they will now be forced to live after their homeland falls to war.  Surrender follows the family on their trek to the transparent city and takes us beyond those clear glass walls, where everything is out in the open except for the true intent of those in charge.

Surrender is a simple little novel that explores complex subjects, such as government control and manipulation.  Its appeal comes in how murky and bare bones this story is.  Our narrator is a simple man without significant purpose or position.  His observations of the crumbling world around him are not involved or conspiratorial.  He just sees what is presented to him in plain sight, which is what makes this novel all the more frightening because you, as a reader, know there is more lurking below the surface than what meets the eye.  What exactly is lurking is left for you to discover within the pages of this quick read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Not sure if the author was going for a storyline with "mystery" or maybe something was lost in translation but it comes across as very repetitive and jumbled. Could have been interesting with the Crystal City concept.