Cover Image: Eliza Starts a Rumor

Eliza Starts a Rumor

This story was a fun read.  Eliza runs a community bulletin board and decides to post a rumor to see what happens.  The story introduces us to several characters, and all their stories are interesting and you will be invested in each one to see the outcome.  Loved it from start to finish - a fun engaging read!  5 stars for this one!
Just the book I needed to pull me out of my slump in the earlier months of the 2020 pandemic. Mommy facebook groups on the loose? Sign me up. While this book ultimately was about so much more, the levity of the manner it was told it kept me turning the pages and feeling a special kinship to each of the characters - I was sad to say goodbye!
Thank you for the opportunity to read Eliza Starts a Rumor. Unfortunately, I was not able to get into this book so I won't be leaving a full review.
This is a fast read, and it's mostly fun until the last third when it gets more serious. It's a little like Peyton Place for the #MeToo era. There is high drama in a small upstate NY town, and the narrative centers on the lives of a small group of women who are having various upheavals in their lives. One of them posts an anonymous post on a community message board and all hell breaks loose. It's a satisfying read, especially as the women band together for support and to rally against the men who are making their lives miserable.
Eliza Starts a Rumor
By Jane L Rosen

Eliza Starts A Rumor is a beautiful, heart warming and engaging story about how an innocent rumor that is started permeates through the entire town of Hudson Valley and the snowball effect it started. This story was full of depth and serious topics though very hopeful and uplifting story about community and friendship. In such a simple premise, Jane Rosen delivered quite a powerful punch in delivering characters that are so well written, dialogue that flows well and the relationships between each of the women were fantastic. I loved reading this and getting lost in the story. Rosen is a master storyteller and this was incredible.

Everyone, read this book! I highly recommend it.
I started this book and realized that it is not a genre that I am interested in reading more of. Thank you for this opportunity- the book seemed like a good one for people who are interested in this type of story.
This was so much more than I expected. I loved all the fictional places and things set in the Hudson Valley. A great book club book. It has so many topics to discuss such as Agoraphobia and keeping secrets. This was smart and comical. I loved it.

Dawnny Ruby
Novels N Latte
Hudson Valley NY
When Eliza starts a rumor to make her community bulletin board business more captivating it has a ripple effect throughout the whole town.

There are new friendships formed and a journey to discover answers to relationships they were in before the Rumor,

A good summer read.
Thank you NetGalley for this ARC.
A story of secrets, lies, and friendship. At times funny, at times heartbreaking. Eliza is in the midst of an agoraphobic episode (the repeat an episode in high school). She is the moderator of a neighborhood bulletin board that acts as a marketplace/event planner/advice column for the suburban housewives in the area. When a newer, more youthful and cutting edge forum seems to be getting more attention, Eliza posts a rumor (anonymously) about a neighbor to increase the traffic on her site. What happens next has ramifications that ripple throughout the community.

Although somewhat predictable in places, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are entertaining, if somewhat maddening at times. The storyline is plausible except for a few notable moments that made me roll my eyes. The progression of the story drew me in completely, and the ending was reasonable and satisfying. Is this Pulitzer material? No, but it is a pleasant distraction to spend a few hours with these women (and one man) who are clearly destined to be lifelong friends. There are some themes that are "ripped from the headlines" that would make this book a good choice for books clubs looking for a lighter read that also will lead to good conversation.
Eliza Starts a Rumor was the perfect title to make me want to know more. Who’s Eliza? Why did she start a rumor? Then I learned that the book was spun around the numerous mom’s groups all over Facebook, and I was sold.

Eliza is troubled. We don’t really know why but we accept her truth because of her crippling inability to leave her house. She’s bored, depressed and lonely. By starting a Facebook group for Hudson Valley moms to connect online, she finally has a sense of purpose. When she learns there’s a new Facebook group for the same area, she decides to post a rumor by an anonymous sender that really stirs things up.

From there the book get tangled up into many side plots that all ensued from her fake rumor. I really connected with all the other women and loved that mere strangers can bond for a common cause. Crazy that the author used all vowel names for the main female characters. Amanda, Olivia, Allison and Eliza. Got to be honest, there were moments my head was spinning trying to remember whose plot belonged to which character.

This book touched on parenting, infidelity, abuse, abuse of power, friendship, love, dating, rape and mental illness. Seems harsh but these issues were tackled and pummeled through the help of the other women. The writing was witty and face paced. Overall, this was a heartwarming book that readers will enjoy.
I really enjoyed this book with multiple characters - sort of an "ensemble" cast. I love the setting and really liked the characters.
A really engaging, heartfelt read about the power of sisterhood and the connections forged when the moderator of a community internet forum decides to anonymously post something scandalous to spark interest. This was closer to a 3.5 overall for me, but given how engrossed I was in the story I’m willing to round up.

My one complaint was that the book had a lot of shifting POV within chapters where I don’t think they were necessarily needed, especially in the case of supporting or minor characters. Additionally, tenses weren’t very consistent — there was a lot of switching back and forth between omniscient narrator and third person. It didn’t take away from my enjoyment but I’m not sure how essential it was to the book?

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
The friendship that binds and saves each is astounding. The underlying stories are ones that break your heart, feed your soul, and rebuild your spirits. It’s got all the feels. Highly recommended!
I recently picked up Eliza Starts A Rumor, hoping for an engaging and entertaining read. I have been having a harder time reading during the last few weeks and needed something that would keep my attention.

It was my first book by Jane L. Rosen and it ended up being such a delightful reading surprise! While it was definitely engrossing, it was also timely and super relevant. The characters were fleshed out and the strong storylines made this one hard to put down. It is set in a small suburban town and Rosen sets the scene so well I almost felt like I was part of the neighborhood too.

It has a Big Little Lies vibe, but dare I say I loved it even more? The multiple storylines weave together to create such a satisfying novel. I loved the themes of sisterhood, family, motherhood, friendship, and hope. I highly recommend this one and I can't wait to read Nine Women, One Dress now!

Thank you to Berkley Publishing for the gifted copy. All opinions are my own.
What starts as an attempt to draw attention to her Hudson Valley Ladies' Bulletin Board, Eliza Hunt posts a comment that creates a ripple across town.  Four women are affected differently by the forum but are drawn together. They are likeable, relatable and come together to show their support for one another.  You’ll want to share it with all of your friends.
Wow, so many different stories for each of the characters but then they all came together to support each other.  The writing just flowed in this story and the surprise(s) ending shook me. A good summer read that covers today’s issues affecting women. I would love to see another book continuing these women’s lives.
I loved this book! Told from different perspectives in a New York suburb, Eliza Starts a Rumor centers around a women's online bulletin board and the the secrets and lies that are revealed on it. I was a big fan of Rosen's book Nine Women, One Dress. This book is similar in that it is narrated by different characters and each character's story eventually intertwines with every one else's, which is brilliant. This book is different however in that these characters are drawn a little deeper and their struggles are at times a little darker.  But that shouldn't deter you from reading this book as it is still fun of fun and laughter and hope.
And what a rumor it is Eliza moderate a Facebook group for women in the Hudson Valley, NY and when she found out that this group is no longer relevant to younger women she needs a way to show these hip, new young moms old girls get it. Lots of interesting characters with a variety of problems make up the sphere of this small town. The author has done a good job linking all the people who narrate the chapters. Lots of variety in individual issues make a good story.
Eliza Hunt created the Hudson Valley Ladies Bulletin Board when her twins were toddlers and her site grew to be the place moms looked for advice on everything from parenting to marriage to the best purchases or vacations.  With her toddlers now freshmen in college, Eliza decides to start a rumor:  she anonymously posts about her neighbor's wife having an affair with someone's husband.  Unfortunately, this made up rumor has some truth to it, and strikes a chord with several subscribers.

This summer novel has a great formula.  The reader meets several of the Hudson Valley moms, each of whom is connected to a secret.  The price of those secrets and the lies associated with them play out as the narrator changes, and will have the reader guessing at the resolutions.  For every nasty protagonist, there is a compassionate counterpart. I found Eliza Starts a Rumor to be a fun, quick read, very entertaining and perfect for a lazy Saturday or late summer night.
This is a book that did not manage to engage me. And it’s not the book’s fault, this is on me.

There was nothing wrong about the book, the writing, the story. Besides not pulling me in, that is. I think the issue was that the entire book felt more like background music to me. I read it, but didn’t take it in. The characters, the different POVs, it didn’t matter, because I just couldn’t engage with any of it.

At that point I already knew it would be a hard book to review. How can I rate a book that was such a miss on my part, but where there was nothing glaringly wrong, except it wasn’t the right book for me.

Whatever the issue was, the story didn’t sync with me.

So, unfortunately this was only a 2 star read for me.