Cover Image: Luster

Luster

This book was unique, but sometimes in a way that was distracting. It was wordy at times. It seems that the author wanted to include shock value, but again, sometimes it was more distracting than anything. The story was intriguing, but the delivery was not what it could have been.
Luster is *technically* a coming-of-age story about young Edie getting tangled in an open marriage. I say technically because Luster is a book whose one-line synopsis doesn’t do it justice. Its sharp, beautiful, vivid, often hilarious prose will knock you speechless. This is a brilliant debut novel you don’t want to miss.
It took me entirely too long to read this ARC that I ended buying a final copy.

'Luster' felt like an inside joke between the writer and her character. I am a millennial, and I love chaos, I love picking up and changing jobs, I love dating men I am not supposed to, but I couldn't connect with Edie. This book went from overwhelming in an excellent way to underwhelming in 240 pages. Raven Lelani gives you honesty. It often reminded me of Junot Diaz or even Samantha Irby. The prose was beautiful, but it wasn't much of a story.

I would still pick up a Raven Leilani book because she can WRITE, ok? But 'Luster' just wasn't it, so I gave it two stars.
An impressive debut. The novel yokes what might seem a predictable sexual scenario to something larger and more contemporary, using the device of a narrator whose scathing perceptions and unpredictable actions keep the reader on her toes. Cinematic evocation of New York and the suburbs add context to a memorable, unusual and surprisingly affecting piece of work.
I get why people don't love this book, but I REALLY enjoyed it. The topics are uncomfortable, but our protagonist is lovely.
I was excited or this book, but it didn't live up to the hype for me. I feel like I heard a lot about this book everywhere I turned, so it made me excited to read it. Unfortunately, it fell flat for me. The writing style was not for me and I just could not get caught in the characters like I expected that I would.
Luster was unlike anything I’ve ever read. The writing is lyrical, witty, and quite phenomenal. The story is unique, controversial, and entertaining. This book is about the complications of having an open marriage, but it’s also about so much more (race and class to name a few)! If you’re ok with risqué and complex characters and plots, I recommend this novel.
Thanks, NetGalley for the eARC.. So I did a quick read up on Raven Leilani’s background and...were there “name changes to protect identities”? Was this inspired by true events? Sis has a background in corporate archiving (for a publishing company)- hm, sound familiar? JK, You write what you know. I guess I liked this book? It was written in that “stream of conscious” style that can sometimes be confusing and exhausting, but I thought , hm, maybe that’s intentional because Edie’s life is confusing. I have been far removed from my early twenties for a little while, but definitely recall some of the waywardness exhibited by anyone just trying to figure It out. I really loved the relationship between Edie and Akilah and wanted more! I’d like a story from Akilah’s POV.
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I'm still unsure of how I truly feel about this book.      I expected to love it, but something just fell flat for me.     It was just "alright."

The writing style was unique, but honestly, the book just didn't hold my attention enough.   ;[
I really liked this book and will be including it in my roundup of recent releases next month for Mashable.com
Luster may be the best book I’ve read all year.

Rich descriptions of emotions, beautiful rambling sentences, pinpoint observations on race, relationships that explore what partnership really looks like-spoiler alert-the sexual relationships in this book are not where the heartbreak and substance is.

It’s a classic millennial book, more focused on underlying social commentary than strong character development. The New York Times review points out that this sort of novel banks on being current and doesn’t stand the test of time (the reviewer throws Sally Rooney and Kristen Roupenian under this generalization too), which may ultimately prove to be true but, for now at least, I’m here for it and think that you should be too.
Luster was an interesting story about a young woman who has an affair with a married man, and becomes entangled with his family and their life. I liked the writing style and the protagonist Edie was clever and funny. Much of the story is dark, but overall well written.
This book knocked me sideways. It was a hard read at times, especially as I loathed Eric, the married man Edie becomes involved with. (Although Eric is possibly the least important person in the book). It is a book that has you thinking “you deserve better” for Edie every step of the way, not only in terms of love, but generally as a bright young Black woman in America, undervalued at every turn, even by herself. Raven Leilani is brilliant on race, class and being young. She has created a flawed character who I adored and the story is unpredictable, compelling and ultimately hopeful.
The story of Edie, a 23-year old black woman and her complicated relationship with a white couple is visceral in its depiction of early-20’s impulsivity and barely surviving in post-college 21st century. That feeling of just ending up somewhere, failing at something, and landing randomly somewhere else reminded me of how directionless your 20’s can be. It’s a story of lonely people bumping up against each other just to be acknowledged, just to be in someone else’s attention sphere, even if only briefly.

On a sentence by sentence level, this is a beautifully crafted novel. The amount of plot, characterization, and setting embedded in single sentences is mind-boggling. They feel expansive and efficient at the same time. The way she reveals microaggressions, privilege, and casual racism is subtle and perfect. This is one of my favorite reads this year.

This is a solid 4.5  stars missing a 5 only because the ending felt a bit rushed and easily concluded.
"... she used to attend these concerts mostly as a function of being someone's girlfriend. She was not permitted to have an opinion so much as observe these boyfriends' exhibitions of taste..."

This book was a rollercoaster of thoughts for me. It ticked every box on the "Karena won't like this" list. I had great disdain for the meandering metaphors which seemed out-of-character. I didn't love that the character development was surface-level for the reader. At times, I couldn't get past some of the more fantastical elements of the growth in the characters' relationships. I'm always looking for books about open relationships or polyamory and the intricacies of managing egos within them, so I was disappointed when it didn't really touch this conversation in-depth. However, despite missing all of my typical marks, I fell IN LOVE with Edie as a human and the very intentional choices made by Raven to explore this character in her early 20s and allow readers to see themselves within Edie.

You will enjoy this book if...

* You want to remember why you don't miss your early-to-mid 20s.
* You're seeking a lighter read that allows you to explore thoughts as deeply as you desire to. There's so much to pick-up, but you're not required to do so. This book has great re-read value.
* You enjoy characters who come to know each other differently over time. Relationships can degrade or grow exponentially and Edie's experience of coming to know new people intimately is sooooo... millennial lady in her early 20s.
The first thing to say about this book is that the writing is absolutely gorgeous. There are so many lines that I want to go back to and just really sit with. I think it does a good job of capturing the utter uncertainty of your 20s and trying to figure out who and what you are. There's also a profound sadness to this book that is hopeful at the same time. Really powerful.
An absolutely breathtaking debut. I look forward to reading many more books by this author. Her writing, on top of how seamlessly the story flowed really took this read to another level for me.
Luster by Raven Leilani inhabits the dark places of Evie's twenties, when poor choices have meaningful consequences and yet there is still a level of naivete that somehow carries her through. Through strong, intelligent prose, Leilani has given the reader a fascinating heroine, who manages to make you laugh and shake your head in disappointment, all well fully wanting her to have the best of everything.

Roxane Gay says in her Goodreads review of Luster "I'm really glad my twenties are over," and I definitely agree with that sentiment in regards to this book. If Luster is a book that has caught your eye, I encourage you to pick it up.
After reading so many amazing reviews I really thought I’d love this book, but I didn’t. I just couldn’t connect to the characters and their relationships felt so flat and distant. The writing style is quite original and the author uses beautiful prose, however this was not for me.
I heard so much buzz about this book and I really wanted to enjoy it, but I didn't. Edie is a 23-year-old black woman living in a not-so-great neighborhood in a not-so-great apartment with a roommate. She is self-loathing to the point where I didn't even care about her by the end of the book. She seemed masochistic and shallow, which, along with the self-loathing, made it difficult to feel empathy toward her.

Edie starts a relationship with Eric, who is white, who has an open marriage, and is invited by his wife, also white, to stay with them while she looks for a job...and maybe also to be the person to help connect with their adopted daughter, who is black. Obviously there is a lot going on with race and privilege. But there is that other facet of masochism that seems to run through the characters...except maybe Eric. I don't know, I think there was a lot that could have been explored more and some things that were fleshed out that were just unpleasant.

The writing, though. I was reminded of some of the beat writers from the 50s and early 60s - Cassady's First Third and Kerouac's Dharma Bums, especially. It is stream of consciousness with amazing metaphors, which make it a somewhat difficult read. I found that I had to pay attention and get into the groove of the writing; no quickly grabbing 10 minutes of free time to get some reading in.

My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.