Hurry Home

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jun 2020

Hurry Home by Roz Nay is an intriguing story of two sisters caught in a drama of lies and betrayal. Alex Van Ness has carved out a comfortable life in a Colorado Rocky Mountain town as a child protection worker living in a loft with her boyfriend Chase. Just as Alex is drawn into the drama of rescuing a young boy from his dysfunctional family, her life gets turned upside down when her long-lost sister Ruth turns up at her door, pregnant, and on the run from a her drug dealer boyfriend. Ruth ran away from home in her late teens after a series of troubles. Alex had stayed and nurtured her mother through cancer and dying but eventually set out to make a new life.

When the sisters re-engage we gradually become aware that they are hiding  some dark deep secrets from the past. Alex tells us one version of their story and Ruth another. But the switching back and forth between narrators is so skillfully done that it seems like one story until a series of twists as we near the end. This psychological family drama takes an amazing turn near the end. What we thought  we knew is flipped on its head. Lie after lie and betrayal has sucked us in and then shocks us with its unexpected ending.

I greatly enjoyed this novel and highly recommend it. Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for providing me with a digital ARC for review.
How deep does a blood bond run and just how many secrets can it keep? Roz Nay is slated to have one of the best suspense reads of 2020 with Hurry Home.

Alex has built a life for herself. One that she believes has helped her escape her past and right the things that went wrong. She hasn't seen her sister Ruth for years but when she shows up on Alex's doorstep after all these years maybe their relationship can be rekindled. Or can it? A story of differing truths, lies, betrayal, twists and turns plays out in Roz Nay's Hurry Home. Will the sisters relationship improve or will Ruth's arrival bust Alex's life wide open?

Hurry Home was a page-turner from the start, in every sense. Flipping back and forth from each sister's narration was smooth and absolutely brilliant.
Alex is our first narrator of the novel, a social worker that has a steady job, a nice home and an understanding boyfriend begins as the very reliable, responsible and trustworthy narrator.
Ruth, who has been MIA for years, in and out of trou le makes the audience automatically skeptical of everything she says as she begins her narration.
Throughout the twists and turns you realize you don't know who to trust, who's telling the truth and who's not. The author did an amazing job smoothly meshing these two narrations without having to repeat the same aspects of the story with differing views, it continuously ran  through the events.
I honestly loved this novel, I finished it in a 24 hour period, it was that good. Roz Nay did an amazing job, well-written, easy to follow read that I couldn't put down. At every turn it will leave you questioning even the ones you think you can trust the most: your blood. Even the end will leave you picking your jaw up from the floor.

*I was sent this novel for feedback on NetGalley. You can also find my review on this novel on Twitter, Instagram and Goodreads.
Whoa!!! What a ride Hurry Home is! Told back and forth between sisters Alex and Ruth, from current day lives to the deep history they share together. This story peeled away layer after layer of family tragedy, lies, and drama. Just when you started to believe Alex’s versions, the story would shift and you were rooting for Ruth. Then back and forth again and again! Hurry Home is not be missed! Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC!!!
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of Roz's first book, Our Little Secret, which I absolutely loved and added the author to my “must read” list. So when I saw this book, Hurry Home, available I promptly requested and am so glad I got to read it. The story is expertly told alternating view points from two sisters, Alexandra “Alex, and Ruth. There is a lot of history and drama and so many secrets. Just when you think it’s all coming to a head, you get thrown a curve ball that sends you spinning down another momentous track, all the way to the very end. It was an exciting thrill ride and one that will leave you eager for Roz’s future writings.

Thank you #NetGalley, and #CrookedLaneBooks for this wonderful ARC.
Just finished reading Hurry Home by Roz Nay

This was a good thriller with lots of twists and turns. A quick book to read. A little predictable but none the less a good book

It flows well, and kept my interest throughout the storyline

Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane for an early copy to read for my honest review
What a captivating read! From page one to the end. I read this book in one sitting. I could not put it down. It really has you guessing who is telling the truth and even when I figured it out then comes the ending which throws another twist you don't see coming.
If you want a great story with a lot of trying to guess who's telling the truth, this is the book for you.
Great characters that keep you guessing and make you wonder what its like for those families who have to deal with child protection and everything that come with it. and a great story of what your life is like after a family tragedy or two.
After reading this I will for sure read Roz Nay's other book.
I would give this novel 3.5 stars
This novel has an interesting storyline that is slowly uncovered. The history between the two sisters and the pain that disintegrated their relationship kept me turning the pages. However, my feelings and enjoyment of this story changed as I moved through the novel. I really enjoyed the beginning, then it took an interesting turn towards the middle, but by the end I was just not as invested in the story. The two sisters 'voices' started to sound the same (but that could have been the plan) and I found that it was a little too unbelievable for me with some predictable situations. With that said, It is a good story and I would recommend it but not as a psychological thriller but more as a family drama.

A special thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
What do you do when your sister, who you have not seen in years, shows up on your doorstep asking for help? The past is rocky between these two sisters so how will they handle all that is forced upon them? Such a great read. I give it 4.5 stars. This book had me from the start. Lots of twists and turns that I did not expect at all. Would definitely recommend this author and book. I read this book before released through Net Galley. Thanks for making this possible.
3 stars

Hurry Home was a fast read with a lot of promise. Alex, a lauded social worker in the middle of a tough case, comes face to face with her own troubled past when her estranged sister shows up unannounced on her doorstep, without apology and pregnant.

What results is a multi-POV telling of the sisters' relationship, their interactions with love interests and well-meaninged acquaintances, and the childhood memories that plague them.

First, I love that the sister relationship is at the forefront of this title. While Alex's relationship with her boyfriend, Chase, and her close friend, Sully, are important to the plot, the focus remains on the sisters. How they see each other, how they describe their family and history. The choices they make through each other's eyes. It's interesting and engaging to see a female-centric plot. And Nay tackles a lot of sensitive topics you won't see in most thrillers on the market through this lens: abuse, abortion, poverty, drug use. While not the nitty gritty--we never see anyone using drugs or hitting children--the implications of these problems resonate through the characters. However, I found their voices to be a little muddled sometimes, and I had to go back and check which POV I was reading in order to keep everything straight. While Nay worked hard to make their histories and impressions polar opposites, their narrative voices read much the same way.

And in spite of the focus on the relationship, I also found the plot to be on the predictable side. I wasn't surprised when the proverbial tables turned, when we started questioning motives and perspectives. The clues peppered throughout were a little too on-the-nose for my liking, so while I I liked this book, I couldn't sink my teeth deep enough to love it.

An enjoyable read, Hurry Home would be a perfect weekend read for anyone looking for a new angle on the detective genre with some relevant societal issues.
Tell me Alex, How far would you go to protect a child?

Hurry Home by @RozNay is about Alex a CPS social worker who is strict and by the book on making sure children are saved from poor situations. She has a well off, easygoing, handsome boyfriend Chase who only knows the superficial side of her. She also has an estranged sister Ruth of over 10 years, who Chase thought was dead, who carries Alex’s darkest secrets.

When Ruth shows up, pregnant with a drug dealers baby on Chase and Alex’s doorstep seeking help, dark family secrets arise along with a web of lies. Can Alex trust Ruth? Can Ruth trust Alex? Who’s side will Chase take?

Who is lying? Who is telling the truth?

This book was fantastic. I was sucked in from the beginning and couldn’t put it down. You never knew who was actually telling the truth and who was actually lying until the very end. However, lies will always catch up to you, and tend to blow up in your face. 4.5 stars ⭐️

Thank you @netgalley and @crookedlanebooks for the ARC for my honest review. This book is to be released July 2020. #bookstagram #books #suspense #familydrama #netgalley #hurryhome #roznay #bookstagrammar
A perfect little sleepy mountain town.. but a child goes missing. Panic spreads. Did something sinister happen? Or was this just a freak accident?
I really enjoyed this tale, part family drama, part psychological thriller. Entertaining and twisty, I zipped through it in no time. Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the ARC, I will be looking for more by Roz Nay.
Really interesting premise and I enjoyed the storytelling, the characters were interesting and kept me guessing even though I had my suspicions about various secrets and goings on.  I was hooked, a very enjoyable read.
This story is told from two perspectives: Alex, a child protective social worker, and her older sister Ruth, who shows up unexpectedly at Alex’s door after a silent, ten year absence.  The book is full of twists and thick with tension, as their stories unravel. Recommended!
Roz Nay’s remarkable storytelling is only matched by her astonishing ability to make readers care deeply about her flawed, very real characters. In HURRY HOME, Nay weaves a taut, stunning, suspenseful, gripping tale about two sisters forever connected through their lies and losses. Captivating and brilliant twists and turns, expert plotting and pacing, and an emotional, incredibly satisfying ending, it’s a must-read page turner.
I’m still gasping. This book is one of those that you will flip through at a furious pace to finish, and you’ll find yourself gasping, gripped with anxiety, and maybe even shedding a tear.

I can’t even talk more about it, because I’m afraid I’ll spoil it. Just know that this is going to be a HUGE hit when it’s released this summer, and you’ll want to get it on it early.

This was also my first Roz Nay book, and I can’t wait to read her other work.

Five star book!

**Huge thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my ARC in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are my own.**
I wasn't a fan of Roz Nay's first book (despite the hype) but I figured she was worth another shot. Sadly, I don't think it was worth it. It took me a good while to get into this book, and once I did, it was hard to figure out exactly what it was trying to be. The "mystery" was easily solved, and actually took too long to wrap up. This one just didn't work for me.
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I really enjoyed this psychological, family thriller. A lot of the reviews I have read have talked about all the crazy plot twists in this novel. I don’t know if it’s just because of the things I’ve been through in life or not, but I knew exactly where this book was going from page 1. I’m not saying that in a bad way and I do think the book was designed for plot twists, but I also felt that for me, it was very obvious from the beginning where the story was going. I think it’s great that more and more novels like this are coming out that show the world people who are like this. I especially enjoyed this one because of 1) who the characters were professionally and 2) because of the relationship between the two sisters and how even though one was so clearly wrong, the storyline clearly portrayed how strong the love was for her from the healthy/normal sister.

I thought the plot line and backstory were well written and well thought out. The characters were fleshed out well and their stories and relationships were interesting. Overall, this was a very interesting and thought provoking read. I highly recommend it.
I absolutely loved this read. Just when I had made all of my opinions about the characters of this novel, my mind changed in an instant with new and surprising information. Hurry Home kept me on my toes from page one - I finished this read in a day - and I loved every second of it.

Having a sister, Hurry Home made me question what I would do if I found myself in Alex and Ruth’s situation. An impossible situation of love, betrayal and loyalty. Are you ready to do anything for your sister? Do you truly know the people you love the most? Are you ready to give up everything?

I loved this read and can’t wait for the next.
Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wow- this book was a twister right up until the last page- love love loved it. The writing is brilliant as the author meticulously peels back the onion layers with alternating narration by two sisters marked by a childhood tragedy that led them to be estranged for 10 years.

Out of the blue, older sister Ruth shows up at Alex’s house pregnant and on the run from an abusive drug dealing  boyfriend. Alex has worked hard to escape the past and get her life on track -she has a wonderful charming pro athlete boyfriend and works diligently as a child welfare agent.

However, as each sister tells her side of the story, things become murky- someone is not telling the truth. Shades of ‘Gone Girl ‘ here as the reader isn’t sure who to believe. Roped into the sister drama are two impossibly nice guys - Chase- the goofy sweet Snowboarder and Sully the handsome intellectual police officer- both of which are madly in love with Alex.
The book deals with some heavy topics drugs, abuse and the neglect and death of a child, but the fast pace of the story keeps moving forward rather than lingering.

Highly  recommend for book clubs. Lots to discuss here.