That Can Be Arranged

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Mar 2020

*Disclaimer: I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'll be honest, I know very little about Muslim culture and faith and it's something that I've wanted to learn more about. This was a great way into that for me. In graphic novel form, with few words to a page and expressive illustrations, Huda Fahmy tells of her journey to marriage. It is a great contemporary story of how an observant Muslim woman can find a husband nowadays, breaking norms whilst trying to please her family.

I would really recommend this. The only downside to this book is that it isn't very detailed because of the medium in which it is told, but I think if you're looking for a quick read that explores this topic, this is a fun book.

3 out of 5 stars!
I skimmed through her first book but this one was lovely! It had more of a storyline than the previous one. It was funny, delightful and relatable on my levels.
Huda is amazing! She’s funny, she’s sassy, and she is taking out stereotypes. She is my favorite for comics.
I absolutely loved this book by Huda! It was a super quick read, yet I learned a lot. I follow her comics online and she is hilarious and so real! Just like her comics, her novel stays true to herself as she shares her personal experience of finding her husband. Witty and charming  - you should definitely pick this one up! The only negative is that I wanted to read more! Hoping for more comics and novels!
I really enjoyed 'Yes, I'm Hot In This' and Huda Fahmy's second book is possibly even better. In it, she recounts how she met her husband as a modern Jane Austen romance. It's very funny, sweet and I can't wait to see what she writes next.
As a big fan of her comics, I was surprised that this was more of a picture book rather than a collection of her comics. That being said, enjoyed reading this book about her Muslim love story.
I follow her on Instagram and love her work.
Characters 9
Atmosphere 7
Writing Style 7
Plot 7
Intrigue 7
Logic 7
Enjoyment 7
I really really liked it, it was full of humor and sarcasm. It got me thinking about how aunties are the same around the globe and we should really think harder about it!
I loved this! It was such a great explanation of Muslim customs as well as Huda's own love story and I loved how she told it as if it were an Austen novel.
This was amazing. I love Huda Fahmy's webcomics and I really enjoyed her first book. This one did not disappoint. I'm glad we got to learn about Huda and how she met Gehad. She still inserts her humor into every page even though this book takes on some very deep and important issues.
Finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with is hard enough. Now just imagine how much more complicated it gets when your parents are part of the process. That's the case with Huda, a Muslim woman on the hunt for a hubby. A Jane Austen loving, hopeless romantic, Huda is worried she may never find the right man, but thanks to a chance encounter, and a matchmaking sheikh, she might just find the man of her dreams.

This book was a quick and refreshing read. The main character was hilarious, relateable and the pop culture references were on point. This book reminded me of how much I really hated dating.

*Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-copy in exchange for an honest review. *
*I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks for the free comic book!*

"That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story" is the autobiographical story of Huda, searching for a partner and finding one -- not where she expected him. The marriage was arranged in the sense of both parents giving consent and going through a courting phase and whatnot, but it wasn't forced. Huda is incredibly funny, well versed, and I just LOVED all the Jane Austen comparisons (because it isn't that different!). Even though I have a totally different approach to men, meeting and dating them (marriage isn't for me), this was also really cute.

This was also wholesome and cute.

5 Stars
A funny and educational read about muslim arranged marriages based on the author's experiences. The cartoonish artwork was cute and the story challenges myths and stereotypes about modern arranged marriages. a quick and enjoyable read.
The topic of arranged marriages - regardless the religion --- enjoys a considerable popularity, being often considered with curiosity yet repulsion for its unnatural approach of free love and choice of partners. It's just an observation, as I do not want to start now a critical discussion either about this choice of topic nor about the issue of arranged marriages in general.

That Can be Arranged. A Muslim Love Story is a graphic memoir about how the author Huda Fahmy met her husband. It has a lot of similarities with Ayesha at Last as it has to do with marriage between observant Muslims, except that it is mostly expressed as a graphic novel and is autobiographical. Personally, I liked Ayesha at Last but I've read reviews by Muslim bloggers who were not so impressed about it so I suppose besides the literary standards the approach of the content makes a difference between curious people about other traditions and culture and those who are part of the respective culture.

Huda Fahmy prefers rather to be single than stuck in a horrible marriage. Although she is to meet her matches in the classical way - after they get in touch with her father, a research via CV of the potential match takes place and the meeting is taking place in the presence of the mother - she is the one who will chose in the end the one and only, who will later become her husband. Long before they met 'officially' she saw and liked him and only further circumstances made the encounter possible. Her story adds a note of diversity to the main story of visible Muslim women in America: she goes to university, loves Jane Austen, her parents are divorced, she is interested in someone to connect with spiritually and less in the dowry. It is an unique story which invites the reader to open his/her mind and accept diversity without too much ado.

I've found the voice of the writer authentic with hilarious accents, which makes the story readable for the less knowledgeable audience. I only was not impressed by the illustrations.

Rating: 3.5
A quick and hilarious read. Huda Fahmy seamless tells the story of how she met her husband and offers a little insight into what dating and marriage looks like to some Muslims. I will definitely be looking out for more of Fahmy's work in the future as she has such a brilliant voice and I will gladly support her work.
An utterly engaging and hilarious memoir in a graphic novel about Huda Fahmy navigating the, sometimes difficult and oftentimes funny, terrain of finding love and arranging her marriage under the tenets of her Islamic faith. Fahmy is the ripe old age of 25 (a cat-lady in training) when she finally lays eyes on her future husband Gehad and begins to spin the wheels to get her marriage arranged. But before the big day arrives, she laughingly takes the reader through her history of dating and not-dating to get to Mr. Right. Fahmy is a little snarky, a little self-deprecating, a little nerdy, and a lot funny. I really loved how she drew her cast of characters (overbearing but loving mom , gossiping aunties, etc) with such irreverence - poking fun, but always with a loving heart. And, while this is an overwhelmingly cute little love story, there is great import here too, as Fahmy doesn't pull punches on the sexism and Islamophobia she experiences on a daily basis.

If you want to smile, check out this little gem, and the rest of Huda Fahmy's work.

Thank you to netgalley, the author and  Andrews McMeel Publishing for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely loved this. It was cute, it was funny and I learned about arranged marriages. I liked it so much I even read the acknowledgements and glossary.

The writing is very witty and the art is a perfect match to it. I would highly recommend this as a quick, fun read.
A humouristic and honest look into the life of a visibly Muslim woman in the US. Huda Fahmy (@YesIamHotInThis) shares her experiences with relationships and marriage in an accessible manner. A great a quick read, laughs guaranteed but most importantly; it will give insight in a world which for many of us seems far away. Highly recommended!
*ARC provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I have not read many illustrated books but this one caught my attention and I had to read it. I am so glad I did, because I loved it!

This comic book tells the story of the author and her arranged marriage. For people like myself who are not familiar, I loved the insight this provided into their culture. I also loved the humor that was through out the book!

A solid four stars!
I loved the author's previous book so when I saw this one I knew I needed to request it right away. It was just as good as the last one. It gives you an idea of what her life is life but far from dry. You can really get a sense of her personality. I would highly recommend this book.
I've followed Huda Fahmy (@yesimhotinthis) on Instagram for a while and I find many of her comics to be hilarious. I'm not Muslim-I'm actually not even religious-but that doesn't mean I can't identify with a lot of the messages in her work, or even sympathize or emphasize with her experiences.

I hadn't read her previous book, but I added it to my to-read list immediately after finishing this one, which I absolutely adored. While Fahmy's experiences may not be those of many non-Muslims (and even several Muslims), the way she creates her comics makes them easy to understand and often quite relatable to experiences you may have had. And she's freakin' hilarious! Her wit and, specifically, her snark, made me absolutely love this collection.

I can also see how this book would be a great guide for a Muslim woman who may be following in Huda's path, to see that she's not alone (and it's okay if you're not married by 25!).

Highly recommend this one!