Cover Image: That Can Be Arranged

That Can Be Arranged

A gorgeously drawn graphic novel with an interesting narrative, plot, and concepts. Definitely recommended for fans of this genre.
Another comic I have followed since Instagram and I was so happy to see their work in a book! Truly educational, heart warming, and just amazing.
Huda Fahmy's follow up to Yes I'm Hot in This, again sharing details of her life as a Muslim woman, balancing modern perspectives with the traditions she observes. In this book, she shares her experiences as a woman in her twenties feeling like an old maid as she watches her friends marry. She suffers through a number of false starts with meetings set up by the community's "Auntys".Finally, she finds her own potential mate, when she is smitten by Gehad, a speaker at a Muslim conference.

Since Gehad appears in Fahmy's first book, it's not a big surprise when they marry, first however, they must go through the dating rituals of their culture. Every meeting is chaperoned, even email between the couple is monitored and leads to humorous situations.

I know sometimes Fahmy's art is criticized for its simplicity but I love it.

People who are looking for an #ownvoices book with humour will appreciate this one.
This is a hilarious graphic novel memoir about Huda’s experience with an arranged marriage.

It starts with a disclaimer about her wearing a hijab in the illustrations. The character in the graphic novel is an extension of herself, so she is always drawn wearing a hijab. However, in real life, she doesn’t wear it to bed, to shower, or to get her hair done, even though her character in the book does. She made this disclaimer funny, because she said anyone who skipped that disclaimer would wonder why she was wearing it to bed. She drew the character with a hijab every time for consistency in the book, not because that is what she actually does.

I loved the way she compared the courtship of an arranged marriage to a Jane Austen novel. They both have nosy, older women poking their noses into the lives of young people. There were suitors who came to meet her parents, like in an Austen novel. She also had to be chaperoned on any dates, like Austen’s heroines. This was a great way to compare her situation to older novels. It shows how universal these ideas of courtship are, because Jane Austen’s characters were doing the same things hundreds of years ago as what Huda did today.

This is a great graphic novel!

Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I always love a great graphic novel that is solidly woven around a theme. That Can Be Arranged checked all the boxes for me.
It was biting in the right places, but mostly a story. Often illustrators who pivot/diversify into books take a standalone approach - which is to say, they look at each page as a standalone comic strip. So it is refreshing to see this story-length feature.
The icing on the cake? It is a story told about a culture in a sensitive manner. It respectfully talks about the idea of love, marriage and other allied themes.
While I will be the first to admit, this style of art is not my thing, I loved this graphic novel. It explores what a modern-day arranged marriage can be like and while the subject matter may not seem relatable to many, it absolutely draws the reader in by its humor and commentary on finding love and discovering self.
3.5
This was cute and funny and I found myself talking about some of the things that happened to my friends.
I really enjoyed this book! Oh my gosh, so sweet and adorable and geeky! I wasn't familiar with Huda Fahmy before reading this, but now I've got to get her first book, and get caught up before her next one comes out. I could relate to so many of Huda's struggles to find love- the feelings of self doubt, that something must be wrong with me, why doesn't anyone wanna go out with me, when will I meet that special someone? Reaching that point where you'll try to mold yourself into who a potential mate wants, rather than being yourself. I think most, if not all, women can relate to these feelings, and Huda handles them well. Seeing her go through almost settling for a bad match, then realizing she was worth the wait to find the right person was inspiring, and it made me feel the giddiness of finding "the one" again. I'm so happy she found her HEA, and that she shared her story (with lots of fun and laughs included!) with us. *cue swelling chick-flick end credits soundtrack*

#ThatCanBeArranged #NetGalley
Huda Fahmy tells the story of her arranged marriage in That Can be Arranged. I didn't know what to expect at all when I saw the title. Thankfully, Fahmy explains from the start the difference between an arranged marriage and a forced marriage. Islam prohibits the latter, not the former. Admittedly, I had an incredibly outdated notion of the concept of an arranged marriage. I pictured a pairing made without consulting the bride or groom, set up from childhood whether they like it or not. That was not what Fahmy describes when she described the process by which she married her husband. That was what drew me to That Can be Arranged: it's a first-hand account from someone who had an arranged marriage and it went well. And as both someone interested in learning about other cultures and a hopeless romantic, I dove in.

The first thing that Fahmy makes sure the reader understands is that she had a say in her marriage every step of the way. She initiated contact with the man who would later be her husband, getting help from a sheik to get his family's contact information. She hung out with him (with chaperones, as solo dating before marriage is not allowed in more traditional Muslim circles) until they realized that the match was a good one and that they should get married. Fahmy then proceeds to essentially write a gushing love letter to her husband. And I loved it.

If Fahmy was trying to get the reader to fall as deeply in love with Gehad as she clearly is, then she sure did it. I loved the Jane Austen-esque parallels to her own love life. I loved both her and Gehad's unashamed geekiness. And despite the honey-coated sweetness of the love story, Fahmy's message is this: if your idea of love is different than the norm, that's fine. She met Gehad at an age when some in her circle would consider a woman beyond hope of marriage. She realized that she didn't need to find a perfect man, she needed to find her companion. And there was something so refreshing about a love story so unashamed to talk about when love just doesn't go as we expect.

That can be Arranged is full of heart and so much more than what it initially appears to be. The art style is simple and does what it needs to, but the writing is the book's strength. It's a sweet story that is good for a quick read and one that I've already re-read.
If you’re looking for a light, funny book that will expand your horizons while simultaneously making you laugh, check out That Can Be Arranged by Huda Fahmy.

That Can Be Arranged is Fahmy’s hilarious graphic memoir about her experience with arranged marriage as a modern American Muslim woman. It debunks a wide range of stereotypes that many people have about both Islam and arranged marriage as Fahmy shares the adorable story of how she met her husband.

I went into this book knowing very little about the Muslim faith and absolutely nothing about arranged marriage, and I found it as fascinating as it was funny. Fahmy is very clear that a lot of things people believe about arranged marriages are just patently false, and she shares her own experiences with her unique brand of honesty and humor.

I love Fahmy’s humor. In one of my favorite moments of the book, Fahmy explains that seeking love as a young Muslim women is very much like being a Jane Austen character. The comparisons she makes throughout the book between her life and Pride and Prejudice had me cracking up (along with many other moments in the book, like her explanation of the different suitors you might face in the search for marriage).

I’ve been a fan of Fahmy’s popular webcomic Yes I’m Hot in This (which features herself and her husband as characters and pokes fun at the misconceptions people have about their culture) for a long time, so I’ve been eagerly awaiting That Can Be Arranged, and it did not disappoint! Definitely check it out if you’re looking for something fun - I guarantee it will put a smile on your face.
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this unique story! Fahmy’s life story and how she got married was interesting to read because of all the hilarious moments that happened. I also liked the Muslim representation in this book. Although each culture has different practices, her character was relatable to other Muslim girls living in the West. The best part about this book was when she worked to improve herself by learning new things and engaging in hobbies rather than being disappointed because she wasn’t married early.

My only concerns with this book was the format. I liked the idea of the graphics but just having one line of text on each page felt like it was too short. I feel like this book would have been better if there were more details included. Overall, it was a nice and easy read!
Imagine you're a twenty-something-year-old female in a conservative Muslim American family. You're not allowed to date and you're not really interested in dating, but you are interested in getting married. (Certain Muslim cultures just don't allow for dating y'all, get over it.) All of your friends are getting married. Your sisters are getting married. You, on the other hand, are not. This was Huda Fahmy's life. Huda wasn't seeking an "arranged marriage" per se, but she was looking for something akin to the marriages found in Jane Austen novels. As a matter of fact, she actually refers to Jane Austen novels in her search for the perfect husband. Muslims (and other cultures) prepare a dossier or "biodata" that is used to "match" compatible couples when all else fails, and at this point in Huda's life, all else had pretty much failed (or had it). What is in this "biodata" you ask? Ms. Fahmy provides the perfect definition in her book:

"biodata (noun): personal information about one's life, work, family, personality, goals, financial status, values, beliefs, health history, favorite Pokémon, and other preferences about things both religious and secular. Think super-detailed Tinder profile, except instead of dating, they'd get married."

That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story is a quick read but one that had me laughing out loud, choking on my chai, and bookmarking pages to return and read later. Any author/artist that can reference Jane Austen, J.K. Rowling, and Pokémon in one book is beyond amazing in my opinion. Huda's quest and it was a quest, for a husband was rife with hilarity. Although I know her story ended well (I follow her on social media), I was beginning to believe she might actually become a single cat lady at one point. (Hey, there's nothing wrong with being single or owning cats). She pokes fun at the meddling aunties (trust me, read the book and you'll understand this reference) and the variety of suitors she encounters throughout her quest. I cheered when she met Gehad and achieved her happily ever after, this is a love story, it says so in the title! FYI, this isn't every Muslims' story but it is one specific Muslimah's story of growing up in this country and her quest to find love and get married within the bounds of her religious beliefs. Ms. Fahmy tells her story with style, grace, respect for the religion, and quite a bit of humor. Although this graphic novel/memoir discusses bits of Muslim culture and the Islamic faith, this is a book that can be read and appreciated by any reader. If you're into graphic novels, memoirs, humor, or just want a quick read, I strongly encourage you to grab a copy of That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story by Huda Fahmy to read. If you can't tell, I thoroughly enjoyed That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story and will be re-reading again in the near future. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Fahmy in the future.

Happy Reading y'all!
I had a fun time reading this book. I've read quite a few of @yesimhotinthis comics. I've enjoyed them and literally laughed out loud at some. So when I saw eARC of this book I made sure to read it as soon as possible. I wasn't disappointed.

The book starts with a list of common Arabic terms that everyone might not know in advance. As a hijabi myself, I could relate to many of the incidents. The book is not just humorous, it also busts some preconceived notions about hijabis and Muslims at the same time. Even serious matters are portrayed hilariously that I just couldn't help myself laughing out loud.

The book is about how Huda (the author) meets her husband and marries him. She navigates through mismatched suitors, gossiping aunties, and societal expectations for Muslim women hilariously. The illustrations are perfect. It's a short and sweet read which you can finish in one sitting.

My Rating: 4/5
Thank you to Netgalley and Andrew McMeel Publishing for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Excuse me while I squeal because I absolutely adored this comic book and I have already read it several times and oh my god I cannot wait for me to get a physical copy so I can appreciate all the art even more! This book has already become one of my favourite reads of the year.

I am going to fangirl several times throughout this review. You have been warned!

I absolutely adore Huda’s comics on Instagram and her first book Yes, I’m Hot in This was so funny and relatable that as soon as she announced this book I pre-ordered so fast! Then I saw it on netgalley and literally squealed with joy! This book is hilarious and adorable and so relatable and I cannot even begin to coherently express how much I loved this book! Also the clarification about her hijab at the beginning had me giggling because wow I have dealt with these questions for so many years.

Huda starts her book with her own twist on the iconic line from Pride and Prejudice and I just about died. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books and any reference to it has me squealing! They are even wearing clothes that are reminiscent of the clothes the sisters wear in Pride and Prejudice and I just loved it all so much! I also loved how she doesn’t shy away from saying that actually when she saw her now husband she thought he was cute because we all do even though the Asian aunties would probably have a stroke if they ever found out!

I loved how Huda included all the etiquettes and Islamic rulings on interactions between genders but not in a preachy way, it was light hearted and fun to read and honestly can we all be taught this way instead of the popular fire and brimstone method. Reading about the different suitors was so hilarious and cringe worthy because I also experienced this and the sheer horror of being interrogated by his family and trying to talk to the guy you may end up marrying without 50 people trying to listen into the conversation.

The comparisons between Pride and Prejudice and Islamic courtship was so much fun to read and so true! (Maybe that’s why I love it so much hmm) Jane bint Austen had me cackling and honestly I just loved the Austen inspired clothes throughout the story too.

I loved how she incorporated seeing the red flags and that we deserve better than a man who won’t respect and appreciate us. It’s something that is so important yet rarely discussed in these situations. I loved reading about how she focused on herself and it was so relatable and attending the Islamic studies conferences which is something me and my friends did a lot in our twenties.

When I read bout her wedding and how Huda walked in doing her own zaghrouta I just sat there thinking wow I wish I had, had the guts to have more fun on my wedding! I also need to mention how absolutely adorable I find Huda and Gehad in the comics and they honestly remind me of me and my husband and how we are with each other. It was just so lovely to read.

Also special mention goes to Huda’s mum who I absolutely love in the comics and it totally reminded me of the women in my family who had to constantly tell me to “behave like a bride” on my wedding and I gleefully ignored them.

This whole book is hilarious and yet still filled with important themes which Huda never shy’s away from discussing and she written them in such a way that they balanced so well with the lighter funnier parts. I loved this from the first page to the very end. It was exactly the type of book I had hoped for when I started and honestly this is a book that I will read repeatedly because I jist love it so much.

I have actually already read it twice and I fully intend to read it several more times this year. It’s a book that you can read it again and again never tire of it. Everyone please do yourselves a favour and go and read this book and also go read her first book and check out her comics on her social media. You will not regret it!
//"I'm wearing pants on my wedding day!"
"You wouldn't dare."
*on the slab of her mom's grave*
-Her Daughter Got Married In Pants-//

I relate to this quote from the book on the deepest level of my core. I will not be able to thank Andrews McMeel enough for this e-arc through NetGalley!

Reading this book was pure joy as Huda explores her religion's take on courtship and love in the 21st century, where arranged marriages are non-existent on a major scale. As I come from a society where arranged marriages are respectful and regarded as the only true mean of marriage, most of this felt relatable and vocalised! Even though this book revolves around the topic of arranged marriages, it also deals with Huda's journey into discovering self-worth, self-growth and self-love. It also explores her relationship with her mother, her parent's marriage and their skill in weeding out the bad suitors.
Huda has brought in comparisons from Jane Austen by adapting Austen's essence and it just makes this read so much more fun! The illustrations accompanied are humorous and super-cute! I will never be able to get enough of them!
As totally adorable and informative, this read is truly joyous and is very necessary for today's evolving cultural climate for bringing the balance between the traditions and independent choice.

I screamed, "You go girl!" when I read the acknowledgements. This is one of the best quick read I have had recently! I enjoyed this and I assure anyone who picks this up will...

Rating: 5/5
This is a sweet memoir that starts with Huda’s childhood her introduction to Muslim courtship customs and ends with her marriage a few weeks before she turns 26. In between, we learn about her hopes (that she won’t turn into an elderly cat lady) and dreams (how to find the perfect husband??) as well as see some of the, well, not-so-successful suitors.

Huda, an English major who admits she read a very large amount of Jane Austen, compares Muslim courtship to Austen-era courtship, and while it leads to several funny running gags, it’s also a pretty apt comparison. It’s a very different process than typical American dating (chaperones and the amount of parental involvement were the two that really made me raise my eyebrows), but Huda does a good job explaining why it’s important to her. She doesn’t shy away from both the pitfalls of the process (how to even meet guys?) and the strengths (avoiding getting involved in a relationship just for the sake of being in a relationship). So, while it’s very different from my experience in some ways, in others, not so much!

I really liked the advice she got from a sheikh. When she tells him about her checklist of what she wants in a husband, he gently points out that she wouldn’t pass her own checklist (fluent in Arabic, memorized the Quran, etc), and that she should look for someone at the same level who wants to grow together. Good advice for anyone, I think.

The art style is simple but colorful, and the faces are hilariously expressive. My one criticism is that it wasn’t fully “illustrated” – most pages would have a paragraph or two of text at the top of the page followed by a drawing. I wish all of the text could have been incorporated into the images, as the differences in style between the two fonts was pretty jarring.

Overall, I found this a fascinating and sweet glimpse into a different culture’s view of romance. I’ll definitely be looking up her previous book!

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
That Can Be Arranged tells the story of author Huda Fahmy's own arranged marriage by drawing parallels between contemporary Muslim dating customs and the rules of courtship in Jane Austen's novels.

The book is a combination of brief paragraphs describing, and illustrations and comic strips illustrating, the series of events that led Fahmy to meet and marry her husband. The text was witty and sprinkled with fun pop-culture references, and all the characters were fun, from perpetually-internally-screaming Huda to the usual supporting cast of gossipping mamas and embarrassing in-laws. The illustrations were a bit too simplistic for me to really adore them, but the characters' expressions were well-done and definitely served to get the story across.

I chuckled at "A weight I never even knew I carried had been lifted". That's a new one for the "breath I hadn't realized I was holding" hall of fame...

3,5 stars, rounded up.
3.50 stars ⭐

I read this only knowing a few basic things about Islam, even though we came from different worlds, I could easily relate to her struggles.
Her journey is one worth reading, I'm very happy that she put herself first and didn't go for anyone who would want her.
It's a good read for those who don't know much about arranged marriages and the Muslim culture.
That Can Be Arranged by Huda Fahmy is one Muslim woman's account of the trials, tribulations and rites of passage involved in courtship and marriage, in a simply illustrated and honest yet funny graphic novel.

The book opens with a riff on the opening line of Pride and Prejudice, and the author notes that Austen is one of her favourite authors, and one that she references again at a couple of points during the book.  As a devout Muslim woman, Huda wears the hijab and always draws herself wearing it . In her introduction at the start of the book she clarifies the differences between arranged and forced marriage, and reiterates her happiness with her husband. The author is very open about her experience ( or lack thereof) of dating and how when she did go on a date with a potential suitor, it was always chaperoned, as was any communication between them.  Her anecdotes are charming and funny, and I am sure many women, Muslim or not will relate , but what I enjoyed most about the book was the journey of self acceptance that Hulda went on as she became more self aware and more aware of what she wanted and needed in a life partner.
The artwork is deliberately simple, yet still expressive , and the authors wit and personality leaps off the page. She is not afraid to wear her heart on her sleeve, and open up in the pages of this wonderful little book.
I read and reviewed an ARC courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher.
This read was so funny and delightful, I really enjoyed it. Though quite short, it was a very interesting insight into Muslim culture in regards to arranged marriages. And, even though I am not Muslim myself I was able to find parts that are really relatable. I also enjoyed watching the character grow to love herself by the end and I will definitely be recommending this book.