Cover Image: How I Broke Up with My Colon

How I Broke Up with My Colon

A gorgeously drawn graphic novel with an interesting narrative, plot, and concepts. Definitely recommended for fans of this genre. Absolutely hilarous!
I've thoroughly enjoyed all the Heart and Brain comics I've managed to come across. They are great if you've previously enjoyed Human Body Theatre by Maris Wicks or any of First Second's Science Comics series by Andy Hirsch. Offering a great mix of anatomical information and humourous commentary, The Awkward Yeti does not disappoint!
I didn't really like this one. I got this expecting something entirely different. But I guess it's good as long as you know what you got.
This was a funny and easy read. The stories were beautifully interpreted and given a funny twist through art and comic format. If you like medical stories, humor, comics, or all of the above then you will enjoy this book.
The Awkward Yeti has been a favorite since the heydays of comics getting viral on social media.
I've always adored having HEART and BRAIN as characters, because that leaves so much room for intelligent puns, jokes and such.
I also like that like in the previous book Body Language, they focus on one aspect and stretch that theme. As someone who works around health and wellness a lot, I find that these books are good comic relief and escape from life in general.
How I Broke Up With My Colon  by Nick Seluk is a collection of 24 tales so unusual they border on unbelievable. Each story is told through comic frames, with different art styles. I worked in a hospital many many moons ago and came across my share of the strange and unusual. I LOVED this collection. I was spitting my tea and shaking my head. From a shell completely embedded in a person's foot, to a scare with a swallowed needle, these stories will amaze you. Highly recommended for medical personnel!

***Many thanks to the Netgalley & Andrews McMeel for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This book was funny, fascinating, and gross all at the same time. Not for the squeamish, since the stories are actually true. Although, the illustrations helped to keep it light-hearted. I really think the title says it all, the stories are fascinating, bizarre, and true.

I'm pretty sure you can never actually go wrong with an Awkward Yeti book.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Author: Nick Seluk
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Publication Date: 24 Mar 2020
The stories weren't that interesting nor were they that funny. I have long enjoyed a lot of Awkward Yeti content, but this failed to do it for me.
If you're expecting The Awkward Yeti in this book, too bad, no Awkward Yeti here. What you're going to get is a bunch of weird, true medical stories that will make you glad they didn't happen to you, with lots of snarky organs and other body parts giving their side of the story in the background. You'll learn some really interesting things- did you know it's possible to have seven spleens?- and you'll laugh, snicker, and guffaw at the crazy medical antics (seriously, the pancake story, I was dying!). On their own, these would be entertaining stories, but with the cartoons, they become so much more fun! Buy it, read it, laugh one of your lungs loose, maybe you can be in the next volume!

#HowIBrokeUpwithMyColon #NetGalley
Great illustrations, not as funny as I was expecting.I am very knowledgeable about the healthcare field and found some of these situations almost true to life, so was looking forward to being entertained but thought the content was a little lacking.
The Awkward Yeti never disappoints. I loved this! Seluk manages to convey basic quirks we all share and can relate to using organs, adding humor. I've read his previous books, and this was a worthy addition to the Awkward Yeti line.
As much as I enjoy Heart and Brain, I was interested to see how Seluk would handle a different subject.This book is pretty straightforward, pretty much just a direct representation of the events as they happened with the occasional personification of organs. If you have any interest in weird medical stories give this one a look.
When I saw that Awkward Yeti had a new book out, I knew I needed to read it. I was excited that I was approved for the ARC on NetGalley too!

I loved the concept of this book. It was really fascinating to see the bizarre health stories. The illustration is exactly what you expect from Nick Seluk. The stories were well illustrated and fun to follow. At times they verged on gross, but the drawings were never too gory or graphic, which I enjoyed. This could be an excellent book for anyone who loves Awkward Yeti or if you want to give a book to someone while they're resting from an injury.
'The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon' by Nick Seluk is an illustrated collection of stories from people illustrated including the famous internal illustrations from The Awkward Yeti.

The stories range from freakish injuries, like getting a kernel of popcorn lodged under a tongue, or getting and injury that causes someone to lose their sense of smell, to the bizarre, like a person born with internal organs in the wrong place.  There are also stories of doctors and shark bites and other things.

The stories are sometimes a bit gruesome, but they are all light and most are pretty funny.  The illustrations are pretty amusing, although some are a bit gross.  I had a lot of fun reading this collection.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
I found this book to be quite entertaining. It was a fun little read that helped me pass the time. I found some of the stories to be very fascinating.
How I Broke Up With My Colon is different take on the short story/biographies format. Inside the graphic novel you will find funny medical stories illustrated by Nick Seluk who is better known as The Awkward Yeti.

The graphic novel is both funny and horrifying. I say horrifying, if only because some of the medical stories are ones that could happen to anyone 😱 Having said that though, a lot are very rare or ones that people have been dealing with since childhood.

I found How I Broke Up With My Colon to be quite entertaining! The book was one that I was able to quickly read as it had not only engaging content but as each story unfolded I found myself having to know more about these poor people.

If you’re a fan of The Awkward Yeti then I would definitely recommend you pick up a copy of this book. If not and you’re just looking at it thinking it looks like an interested read – it is and you should give How I Broke Up With My Colon a read!

Please note: I received a copy of How I Broke Up With My Colon from NetGalley.
Okay, so you know how you're either really into weird medical things or they give you the heebies? I'm in the first boat. And this was delightful.

Actual, real medical things that have happened to actual, real human beings, told in slightly morbid but mostly slightly hilarious illustrations. That's it, that's the book. Literally. Some of them are a little bit iffy, some are just straight weird, or dumb, others very, very uncomfortable, but all wrapped up in a neat little package like this they're kind of fun. I was beyond amused.
2.5 stars.

A nice and quick read, some of the stories were nice, others not so much.
I can't deny the fact that the organs being drawn like that was actually terrifying to me. (for some reason???)
This book is a collection of short stories that combines weird incidents to serious medical experiences.

I've been a fan of Nick Seluk's works for years now and I really love the Heart and Brains comics, so I wanted to change a bit and read this book as well.
I really enjoyed most of the stories, and the ones I didn't it was becuase those stories were crazy and terrifying. I did like the writing and drawing style of all of them though!
My favourite story was the first one, called "The Foot Lump". I've already mentioned that incident to all my friends (managing to scare them all).

This book was both fascinating and scary, and I would recommend it to everyone, not only to Awkward Yeti's fans or soon-to-be doctors.
I've always been a rather huge fan of Nick Seluk's Heart and Brain comics and, in my exploration of those comics, I happened upon his colon comics. One of my all-time favorites of Seluk's work is a comic strip in which he depicts everything from brain, heart, tongue, and yes, colon's reaction to spicy food. And it was hilarious. I've been pretty sold on these books and comics ever since.

How I Broke Up with My Colon by Nick Seluk wasn't quite as focused on humorous commentaries about the colon as I was expecting, but it did detail a number of strange medical stories that have happened to people he knows. In true fashion of Seluk's work, much of it was quite amusing and a portion of it was at least somewhat relatable.

I do think that Seluk's best work comes from the ideas that are relatable, which leaves this particular work of his a little less than the rest of his stuff. That said, I did really enjoy it overall as a read. While I'm definitely more inclined to stick to the Heart and Brain books, there's a lot of merit to reading this bundle of comics that Seluk has put together. And I can say, without question, that I'll be eagerly looking forward to the next installment he comes out with.

I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review to go live on Reader Fox Blog March 23, 2020.