How I Broke Up with My Colon

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Mar 2020

I've always enjoyed the Heart and Brain comics from the Awkward Yeti, so it wasn't surprising to find myself enjoying How I Broke Up With My Colon, even if it does veer away from the stuff we're used to.

Nick Seluk illustrates two dozen medical stories narrated to him by those who experienced them, ranging from the minor to the serious, the weird to the funny. The stories were often interesting and hilarious, and Seluk's style definitely adds to the humour. As someone with a lot of health issues of my own and an accident-prone nature, it was also pretty easy to relate to many of them. A few of them did make me cringe a bit, but not because the storytelling or art was flawed, but because we all have those one or two things that make us feel a touch squeamish.

If you enjoy Seluk's other work, you'll enjoy this. If wild medical tales draw you in, you'll enjoy this. I definitely enjoyed it, for the humour, the relatability, and the opportunity to learn a bit about illnesses and conditions I wasn't familiar with.
I love The Awkward Yeti and dove right into this one.
This isn't as funny as usual books. How I Broke Up with My Colon tells true stories of health issues. Some are poignant, some ridiculous but each is touched with Nick Seluk's humor.
As someone with chronic health issues, I didn't find many of them funny. I know the pain first hand. I had more admiration for these people and their journeys. So know this isn't the same kind of book. Go in understanding their is outrageous and funny stories but also those that stir you deeply.
Detailed illustrations of hilarious, weird, and just plain gross medical stories. A saliva gland giving birth to a popcorn kernel, organs in the wrong place, and so much more. If you have a slightly twisted sense of humor, you're going to enjoy this book.
I received a copy from Netgalley.  All opinions expressed are my own.

As someone with digestive "issues," I think it's best to laugh at one's discomfort.  I recommend you go out and purchase a copy today.  You'll thoroughly enjoy it!!
The Awkward Yeti is not only an online comic strip I follow, but also a comic strip that the majority of my social media friends also follow.  Scarcely a day goes by where I don’t see Heart and Brain being shared, and I loved all three of the previous books.

HOW I BROKE UP WITH MY COLON surprised me, as I didn’t know I could possibly like this new collection more than all previous.  It took a great and already well appreciated format and, using it to tell the real life stories, made it even more connectable than ever before.  Personally, “The Scar” hit home because I was there just a few years ago.

If you are already a fan, pick it up.  If you know someone going through a medical situation that needs some cheering, pick it up.  If you enjoy laughing but have never seen anything of these comics before...pick it up and know that you will find yourself looking at all the back comics online after you have read it.
This graphic novel is a collection of 24 weird medical stories illustrated as The Awkward Yeti comics. The stories are completely wacky and definitely something your friends in the medical field would write home about. The author's drawings and dialogue make the stories hilarious. I was giggling throughout this book, and I highly recommend it for anyone who needs a laugh.
How I Broke Up with My Colon collects "fascinating, bizarre, and true" stories of medical oddities, retold and illustrated by Nick Seluk, creator of webcomic The Awkward Yeti and the Heart and Brain book series. It's a humorous look at some of the many ways human bodies can be weird and at the weird things that can happen to human bodies.

The cartoon nature of the book--which includes anthropomorphized human organs wreaking havoc on their unsuspecting owners--ensures that even the most gruesome tales never become too nauseous. All of the stories have happy outcomes, which is another boon to the squeamish.

Each individual story is told over the course of several pages, for a total page count just under two hundred, and the book reads very quickly. However, my understanding is that the material presented here is all-new, with nothing duplicated from The Awkward Yeti, so fans of Nick Seluk's work are still likely to feel they've gotten their money's worth with this book.

As a high school librarian, I can see this book not only entertaining many of my readers, but informing them, too, and I'm likely to acquire it for my collection.

Thanks to NetGalley for a review copy of this title.
A funny and weird collection of illustrations--I really enjoyed this book! Be warned if you are squeamish, this might not be the book for you.
I have been a fan of Seluk's work for some time now, but I have never read one of his books. This collection of comics did not disappoint! I would highly recommend for anyone who enjoys basically anything medical and a really good laugh.
I received a free ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start off by saying this author is one of my favorite comic authors. I have followed this comic for years. As a result I did read some of these when he was posting them on his website. But now there was more, in a book format, all together!!! YEA!!!!!!!!! And then I saw it was an auto approve. I think my mental happy dance was like the Macarena on steroids.

This was so funny. They were all amusing the pictures add so much to the true stories. I think I would read a minimum of another ten editions of these type of stories. Highly, highly recommend!
This book was actually terrible. I thought the stories themselves were very interesting and as a nursing student I got a kick out of some of them. However the art and the jokes were just awful. Very horrible. I hate it.
This illustrated collection of real medical stories comes from the talented brain of Nick Seluk, creator of the The Awkward Yeti webcomic. You've probably seen his comics of anthropomorphized body parts like the heart and brain shared on your social media or re-posted on Reddit. If you haven't or are allergic to social media, he also has a book following the tales of Heart and Brain, eponymously titled Heart and Brain.

This book shifts focus to other parts of the body, with organs playing supporting roles to the anecdotal stories. You'll see a lot of familiar faces from Seluk's work such as the cranky colon, sad gallbladder with his stones, and kidney with his pebbles. There is also a new cast of characters (hello Tooth Fairy!) that add depth to the stories. Again, the organs help tell the stories but aren't the stars of the show, unlike Seluk's other work. This doesn't take away from the story by any means,  if anything it makes the book feel separate from the webcomic. .

This is a fun breezy read that had me laughing, cringing, and sympathizing with all of the people. I may have even teared up at some of the stories. Overall, it only took me a couple of hours to get through, with most of that time being spent looking at the art and characters in detail. Definitely Recommend!

Who it's for: Awkward Yeti Fans, House M.D. fans, people who like to laugh and cringe
.Who it's not for: People that don't enjoy medical stories of any sort
How I Broke Up With My Colon by Nick Seluk, The Awkward Yeti is fascinating, often funny tales of medical issues. The illustrations are brilliant as per usual.
5/5 stars for sure!  This was an amazing read. I just blew through this graphic novel. There's many short comic stories about medical topics and things that have happened to people in real life. The dialogue was very clever throughout the book and it was a very entertaining read. Each story made me laugh out loud because the author managed to tell each story in a very light-hearted, joking, and sometimes sarcastic(?) tone. There are a lot of medical terms here too so it's a little educational as well. I highly recommend this book to everyone, even if you have no interest in the medical field or medical topics, you won't regret reading this. The art style was also very well done and all the body parts had such emotive faces and personalities which helped to make the comics more entertaining to read.
This is one of those books you turn to when you're having a bad day. Be it to think "things could be worse" or in some of these cases "At least I'm not that guy'" but mainly because in some form or another it will take your mind off the little things for a short while.
Leave it to Nick Seluk, aka The Awkward Yeti, to bring medical mysteries to life in such perfect, hilarious ways.

I have always loved the Heart and Brain comics, which highlight so well our inner struggle between the rational, responsible path (Brain) versus the fun, follow-your-emotions path (Heart). Seluk has also done several other comics in which he brings other organs and body parts to life (who doesn't love Gall Bladder trying so hard?!).

This book is sort of an extension of that, but it's full of tales of bizarre yet fascinating (and usually horrific) medical issues that real people have faced. Seluk makes them fascinating (and I guess, kind of palatable?) through his humor and unique storytelling method. Part of that includes anthropomorphizing various organs and inanimate objects.

I'm not sure I'll ever love his other work as much as I love Heart and Brain but this was still an enjoyable collection and I'd check out anything new he creates.
Fantastic graphic novel about medical oddities. I've experienced some weird ones myself, so I could relate- as could my son, another sufferer of anosmia. I never thought I'd think a cartoon rendering of a colon was adorbs, but it totally was.
I needed one more graphic read this year to satisfy my appreciation for the artistic-love of comic-reality.

These were real medical stories from patients....
Gastrointestinal disorders... illnesses... and oddities.

Medical conditions, mysteries, painful physical challenges, chronic issues, are no joke....
however these stories were filled with humor and warmth and knowledge.

This was my first introduction with the author, Nick Seluk, and the Awkward Yeti.
I’m really impressed!!!!

Some very brilliant artistic, meaningful, emotionally felt helpful-medical-storytelling
going on!

Definitely a new fan!
These comics are my absolute favourite. How I Broke Up With my Colon is a mix of a few of my favourite things, crazy medical stories, cute comics and a fun tone. Really fun read!
Fascinating and hilarious stories of health issues and mishaps. Great choice to make them into comics! Fun for both adults and teens.