The Girls Weekend

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 May 2020

I want to start off by saying thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book, it was a very good read easy to follow along with storyline and characters. This was a new author for me but I very much enjoyed it, thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to reading more by this author again. I highly recommend this book to everybody.
When June and four of her college friends meet up for a girl’s weekend years later, one of them ends up missing. When the rest of the friends can’t remember anything that happened that night, everyone starts to point fingers at the others. Everyone’s a suspect and the pieces need to be put together.

This wasn’t a thriller by any stretch of the imagination. It was a mystery with a slow reveal that just didn’t wow me at all. I wasn’t invested in the characters and just found it a repeat of The Lying Game and In A Dark, Dark Wood, neither of which I enjoyed. I wouldn’t recommend this to thriller lovers. Too repetitive and nothing new.
I had a hard time getting into it... kept falling asleep. I found it very Ruth Ware dark dark wood like. No twists or turns and predictable. A tad disappointed.

Thank you netgalley for this ARC.
Five former college friends reunite over the summer break and English professor June Moody isn't exactly thrilled about going.

Her oldest friend and enemy Sadie, is hosting a girls' weekend baby shower at her massive estate where she lives with June's old crush, now Sadie's husband, and Sadie's pregnant cousin Amy, who she has always looked after.

Things are tense and there is a very uncomfortable feeling to the entire group. The husband is living in the lake house and the cousin living in the guest house and the gardener is living in a yurt.

After a night of drinking and revisiting old grudges, the morning finds them with no memory of what happened. The house is destroyed. There is blood on the landing. And Sadie is gone.

Everyone is a suspect and with memories sketchy, the suspense was palpable. The women were all pretty horrible and everyone is lying. I think we all knew who did what early on.

As a character, June was my least favorite. I just did not care for her. But the story will leave you wondering how well you know the people you call friends.

NetGalley/June 9th, 2020 by Crooked Lane Books
5 college friends. A long-overdue reunion. A crime scene.
When one of the friends goes missing in suspicious circumstances, it soon transpires that everyone present at the house had a motive to get rid of her.

It was a very thrilling and gripping read.
The story follows June, one of the 5 friends at the reunion, and while  I found the beginning a little slow to start, it did pick up pretty quickly, and I was hooked from then on.
I loved how all the grudges were slowly revealed, giving every single person a motive, and making it difficult to bet on anyone in particular. But even though I might not have guessed who the culprit was, I found the reveal didn't deliver enough of a shock. Nonetheless, it was an intriguing and suspenseful page-turner, and I highly recommend it.
It's been a while since I read anything worth a 5-star rating, but I think that despite the aforementioned flaws, this novel does deserve it, as I couldn't put it down.
I haven't read anything from this author, but I'm adding her other books to my wish list.
Thank you to Netgalley and Crooked Lane books for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and feelings are my own.

What to say about The Girls Weekend? It was a solid three star. Nothing bad, but nothing grand either. It was a typical mystery/thriller.

June gets talked into going to a girls weekend with her four best friends from college. She only talks to one of them nowadays. Once there, she starts having fun, until the second night. Everyone wakes up with no memory of what happened and one of their friends is missing.

I never guess who did it. Ever. I am the literal worst. But I guessed it in this book! About 30ish percent in I was like, yeah, this one did it. I don’t know how I feel about guessing it. I’m kind of like, yay, I actually got one! But then I wonder how good it actually was if I could guess the killer. Of course there were clues to lead you astray, red herrings, all that sort of thing. But I found it pretty obvious.

June and the other cast of characters were all good. I liked who I was supposed to and disliked who I was supposed to. My favorite was Kimi, though. She seemed super fun! I want to hang out with her.

What brought it to a three star for me was the ending. I felt like it could have ended a chapter or two earlier. It was basically just what happened in the aftermath, but it wasn’t anything interesting! I was pretty disappointed.

If you’re a thriller fan, you’ll probably like this one. I will definitely recommend it to my thriller reading friends!
Slow and boring. Kept reading just to see how it ended but it felt like it took one million years to get there.  Nothing exciting here. Sorry.
This was an enjoyable read but it wasn't particularly gripping. There was a few surprises within it that were cleverly done but overall it was quite predictable. I  did enjoy how well the characters had been created and their stories but I just felt something was missing overall.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Very intense, fast paced and intriguing!!  Absolutely LOVED IT. I read this in less than 24 hours. Its 'unputdownable!'

Thank you netgalley!!
In this "girl's weekend" story, 5 college friends come together for the weekend, all with their own hidden stories.  In theory, this is a get together to celebrate the hostess's live in cousin who is pregnant with who knows whose baby.  I had a hard time reconciling the drinking and drugs with a guest of honor who can't do either of those.

And then Sadie, the hostess and celebrated author goes missing. I thought I knew what was going on.

And then the secrets started to come out, including each character's potential motivation for a murder, and Sadie's not-so-perfect-life is revealed.  One of the guests, June,  remains a suspect and time is running out to figure out what happened. The pacing after the first third of the book is fast and suspenseful.  Despite some of the times when I wanted to scream at June for stupid decisions she made, the book was thoroughly engaging and entertaining.
This is the second book I've read in the last three months with the set up of a group of one-time close female friends getting together for a "girl's weekend" only for there to be secrets, murder, and fingers pointed at each other.  All this has really taught me is to avoid any sort of weekend gathering with my friends.  What I find intriguing is that this book in particular is being marketed as a thriller in the vein of Ruth Ware, yet the other book with the similar premise just happens to be written by, you guessed it, Ruth Ware (In a Dark, Dark Wood).  Reading these two so close together, you'd almost think both authors went to the same writing workshop and were given this logline to develop into full story.  Even the characters are similar!  The main conflict in both is between the jilted writer protagonist whose eyes the story is told through (yet is not particular likeable herself) and her rich/successful "queen bee" counterpart who also just so happens to have the former boyfriend of the author.  And that's another hackle-raising issue for me, so much of this story is about some guy and this 17+ year torch being carried for him.  These characters are all around 38 or so, yet act and sound about fifteen years younger.  I did initially enjoy the creepy vibe of the "locked door" mystery and not being able to trust any of your friends.  However, not enough was done with building up tension or stakes and the rushed "big reveal" ending destroyed all of my good will towards this story with its absolute ridiculous melodrama and pure nonsense.  Overall, a decent premise but very poor execution.
II received this ARC book from Netgalley for honest Review.

What a great thrill and suspense it was to read. What a great psychological thrill! This novel had everything in it. The thrill, the suspense, the psychological, and the twist is crazy. This novel will keep you thinking and guessing. When you think you right, well let me just say that you might be wrong. This had me all over the place. My heart beating so fast! I couldn't believe what I was reading. If had me in shock. Every page, every chapter was a page turner. I couldn't believe my eyes what I was reading. I highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. It will surprise you in every way.

The storyline was very good!
The theme and setting was well put together. The characters was well put together in the story.
This story will have in a rollercoaster with all the spooky and secrets. Was so well put in the story.
Everything all in one book.
It was just perfect!
I highly recommend everybody get this and read it.
What a great read! This had me hooked from the beginning. What a Rollercoaster! The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel would have you guess and thinking all the way to the end. What a great thrill and suspense. I love a great suspense that would have me think and guessing. This novel did just that to me. To the point that am wrong. When the ending comes am on shock. I wouldn't of never believe or guess. Like OMG!
Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good!
Can't wait for her next book.
#netgallery
I waffled back and forth with where to rate this book. It started out rough, not entirely grabbing my attention, and I had issues with the authors terrible use of ‘telling rather than showing’. There were plenty of descriptions that felt like ‘her hair was red and she wore a purple shirt and green pants. She as a doctor at X hospital and we met on this day and I felt this about her.’ You get the picture...it was choppy. We were given a lot of backstory right away too which felt overdone and unnecessary.

Okay now that we’ve gotten the bad out of the way, I can tell you why I loved the story. It started out slow but once it had my attention, I could hardly put it down. I had so many theories and the author systematically knocked them out one by one. The characters felt very real and I could easily see the friend group and how the suspects began to play off one another. It was an interesting dynamic and the author really displayed it well.

The resolution was believable and timed perfectly. I suspected The Who at one point but there were enough other suspects to keep me guessing that that suspicion didn’t ruin a thing for me.

Overall it was an interesting, addictive, and unique story. I would read from this author again and I commend her on her ability to win over a dubious reader. Interesting style but somehow it worked. Overall, I give it 4.5 well deserved stars. It could’ve easily been five with just a bit of fine tuning.
A Great Suspense Read!

A reunion of sorts for 5 40ish friends who were close while at college.

However, tempers flare, old wounds are opened as old love begins to take its grip...

The girls all have their problems with the uber-rich hostess, Sadie McTavish. As does Sadie's daughter, husband, and even their gardener, Leo.

So when blood is found after a wild drink-fueled evening - there are many suspects. That is, IF they are suspects...

Lots of suspense within this fast-paced read!  Highly Recommend!!!

Many Thanks to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for a superb read!
I wanted to like this book I really did. I just felt it was pretty boring and quite hard to even motivate myself to finish it :( the only positive was that it was an easy read to ‘concentrate’ on whilst my brain was occupied with grief and heartbreak. I will give it a positive that I didn’t guess how it would end, which always good / tricky in this genre
An enjoyable book with great writing. It reminded me of an all girls version of The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley which I loved. It was a fun read but I struggled to connect to any of the characters and felt the book dipped a little in the middle.

Would recommend and gave a 3.5
Opening line, “Like most clusterfucks these days, it starts with a group text.”  And I kept reading.

The Girl’s Weekend by Jody Gehrman is a suspense novel about 5 college friends reuniting for a weekend at the home of their controlling friend, Sadie, a successful children’s author.  It seems like Sadie has it all, but does she really?

I liked the cast of main characters, each of who have their own secrets.  One owes Sadie a lot of money, one who learns that Sadie is going to expose her secret in a new book  she’s writing, one whose pregnant and fears Sadie will take over once the baby is born, and one who has a competitive history with Sadie.  The guessing game of who-done it was well played out through the book.

I enjoyed this book, but it wasn’t a “wow” book for me.  Still, the mystery itself was a good one, and the conclusion was respectable.

Thank you to NetGalley, Jody Gehrman, and Crooked Lane Books for the chance to read and review this 3 star ARC.
After trying to get out of a girls weekend with some old friends, June finds herself on a trip to Sadie's her biggest competition/friends house who is married to an old sweetheart of June's. After some shakiness happens they finally get to enjoy spending some time together with far too many gin and tonics and got lost in the night, when everyone is waking up in the morning they realize that Sadie is missing and there is blood on the wall. The girls can't seem to remember what happened the night previous and start to wonder if they have been drugged, no one can seem to trust eachother because no one has any memories whatsoever until June starts to get small flashbacks of the night. The story has some twists and turns but has the typical "police saves the day" type of feel to it at the end, a good read if you like mystery thrillers!
5/5 stars, WOW
this book was so good.. It was about old friends having a reunion trip after not seeing eachother for awhile and trust me it was one they wont forget i could not put this book down every chapter was so good and the characters were so good.. The main character was one of my favorite characters that ive read in a long time. She was great.
It touched on so many different things and a few secrets and it had some scandal however i was expecting more secrets but this book was amazing.
I look foward to reading more from this author.
Also i kept wanting to know who was guilty and i had my prediction from the start and it turns out i was right however this book was so good and if you like books that are about a few friends going through some stuff and a messy weekend read this book asap!
This books starts strong. I was impressed when I began reading it. But the story quickly became predictable. The suspense was lost and I was not as interested as I had been in the beginning.

I still think it’s a good read, but I hope to see more from this author that sustains suspense and has a strong, twisted end.