Cover Image: The Girls Weekend

The Girls Weekend

June Moody what do you expect with a name like that?  Just what you expect a moody characters who doesn't that doesn't give readers what they expect or hope for.

The story is interesting enough to keep readers wondering what will happen next and other characters that are dynamic enough to keep the story flowing.

While the mystery is intriguing the June Moody is boring and lacks the emotions that will draw readers in.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advance copy of Jody Gehrman The Girls Weekend.
Getting together with your friends from college sure sounds like a good time, right? Except when the friendship is a double-edged sword.

I'm always a fan of books where friends come together, friends who have secrets and may have old axes to grind. Such is the case with this novel, and as well explore the intricacies of these friendships we begin to see that not everything is as it seems.

And then one of the friends goes missing, any everyone left seems to have lost their memory. What the hell happened overnight, why is the house trashed, and where exactly is Sadie?

I definitely loved all the drama between the friends and although I didn't genuinely like any of them (they're like those girls in high school that never really grow up and they all continue to backstab each other while trying to keep each other close at the same time) my dislike of them didn't really influence how I felt about this book as a whole.

This book was just a tad slow but once it picked up I was totally along for the ride. And the end was satisfying.

Definitely a great read if you're trapped at home!
This novels is about a reunion of friends with a thriller and mystery surrounding them! All the girls have taken different paths and all come together. I could see the twist toward the end but enjoyed the read.
I really enjoyed this thriller. College friends reunite and a mystery unfolds when one disappears and a series of secrets and old grudges are revealed. An air of suspense was created from very early on but I must admit I did figure out quite early on who the culprit was. Never the less I did really enjoy this book and wasn't happy putting it down until I'd finished it. It was well written and kept me gripped. I'll certainly look out for more great writing from Jody Gehrman in the future.
Fantastic!

I loved everything about this propulsive novel! I devoured it in one sitting!

Girl’s Weekend is the story of, you guessed it, a girls weekend. Five college friends get together at the estate of their most successful group member. There are a lot of tensions and old drama that come up almost immediately. Throw in a lot of alcohol, maybe some drugs, and a missing person and you’ve got yourself a party!

I could not put this one down. 4.5 stars rounded up to 5. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced copy. I will definitely be reviewing this on my Instagram closer to pub date.
Firstly, thank you to NetGalley for allowing me an ARC of this book.

The Girls Weekend by Jody Gehrman is everything a thriller should be. It is a fast-paced who-done-it and I promise that you will not guess the culprit until it hits you like a slap in the dark when it is revealed. This book had me up reading way past my bedtime as I could not put it down. Gehrman’s writing is quick and punchy and makes it easy to read this book in one go (if you had plans prior to picking up this book then they will have to wait).

The characters are so well written that you will love some and want to bitch-slap others.

The story is mainly told through June, a community college English professor and washed-up author who gets dumped via text by her boyfriend Peter who informs her that he has run off to Amsterdam to be with his new girlfriend. After the shock of being dumped, June decides (after much deliberation) to finally say yes to an invitation from Sadie, her old friend, and longtime nemesis. The very woman who married to the love of June’s life after she (June) rejected his marriage proposal.

June’s best friend Em is living her best life right now with her dream career and a great relationship on the go. She is the cool, funny and above all else a loyal best friend. She convinces June to take up Sadie on her offer of a weekend away with the girls as a way to distract her friend from the recent breakup. The weekend promises to be fun and a chance to put old grudges behind them all, or will it?

Meet Sadie MacTavish. The woman that seems to have-it-all: the charming husband (June’s ex Ethan), a beautiful daughter Dakota,  a beachside mansion and who author of a children’s book that skyrocketed her to fame after being turned into a movie. There are plenty of reasons to love Sadie, and plenty more reasons not to…

Then there is the reason for the whole weekend getaway, Amy.

Amy is suffering from bipolar disorder and to top it off is pregnant. Her best friend Sadie is throwing a baby shower weekend at her estate for her even though she probably would rather be at home than away for the weekend with four other women, unable to drink and being caught up in a who-done-it.

And finally Kimiko, the rebellious single mum who spends most of the time stoned or drunk.

Five friends from school that haven’t seen each other in twenty years and whose lives have taken them down very different paths. What could possibly go wrong?

After a night of drinking and revisiting old grudges, the morning finds the reunited school friends with no memory of what happened the night before. The house is destroyed. There is blood on the landing. And Sadie is gone…
NetGalley has given me the opportunity to read The Girls Weekend by Jody Gehrman in exchange for an honest review.  I enjoyed the book.  Five college friends get together for a girls weekend nearly 20 years after leaving school.  Of course, there is baggage and history between each of the friends.  There are secrets and long-held grudges.  After an evening of partying, the ladies wake up and their host and successful author, Sadie, is missing. There is an unexplained bloodstain on the wall and the women can't remember much about the night before.   The women start questioning themselves and each other as they try to figure out what had happened to Sadie.  I often figure out "who done it" before the end of the book, but I must admit I didn't see this one coming.  This will be a great summer read.
This is not your typical murder mystery novel. This book that had me guessing until the very end. Did not guess the twist at the end at all, nor see it coming. I was captivated with every character and the build up to how they were all entwined. Each character was developed in rich fullness and beautiful description. I could also relate to the difficult relationships with old friends as we get older, sometimes they are just no longer worth salvaging. Warning of some mental health issues in this book. Not too uncomfortable but still present throughout.  I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
I liked it..
It wouldn't be the first book to reach out off of the shelves to recommend, it would be the fifth or sixth perhaps?

Here we are with a group of ladies who were super close in college, but now have all separated to live their lives. Most all went in very separate directions.

June Moody is in her late thirties and a community college professor, who was just broken up with over a text message! What kind of person would do that?? Jerk.
Well June reaches out to Em (a college buddy whom she is still close to), to respond to an email they received from Sadie (their old college friend who has it all: money, child, estates, and the attractive college professor). Sadie wants to have a baby shower for Amy (sister and friend) so she invites everyone to her mansion to have a good time.

Well....things go terribly wrong and there is blood, a lot of blood.

So, like I said, I liked the book. It helped me during this quarantine and easing my mind into being a stay-at-home-mom and homeschooler.
This was an okay read.  I did not really like any of the characters.  It did not seem that much happened and the ending was pretty predictable.
I really wanted to enjoy this book as the premise sounded so interesting to me.

I did really enjoy the mystery aspect (even though I had figured it out early on), but what bothered me the most was that I couldn't understand at all how these women were even friends. Clearly they all disliked each other and it wasn't believable at all how they wanted to spend time together.

If you enjoy thrillers maybe give this a try.
Gripping,  riveting , twisty  all the things I love.
In a good book. I am so glad I got the pleasure of reading this one.
The Girls weekend is a story about a reunion of girls that have all gone on to different paths in their lives.SOme personalities  have changed and the characters  interact with many fireworks. This read is about secrets and suspicians. It is a very engaging read and the plot twists make it hard to put down.
The Girls Weekend is about June Moody, an English professor who has always compared herself to her college girlfriends. After breaking up with her boyfriend she agrees to attend a girls weekend with her 4 best friends from college. However, it's at the one friend she always compared herself most to; Sadie. Not only is Sadie herself perfect but she leads the perfect life married to June's college ex-boyfriend.

As old feelings arise not only for June but all the girls, the weekend begins with rude remarks and secrets. Including a midnight meeting and too many drinks.

However, the next morning the girls wake to something they never thought would happen. The house has been destroyed, Sadie is missing and everyone is a suspect.

This novel has some twists and turns, I personally was more interested in the other characters than June herself. But overall, had an interesting twist ending and was an easy read.

I would give this novel ⭐⭐⭐✫ (3.5) star review. Overall i enjoy the concept and the story was enjoyable but the characters weren't super strong and i would like to have more information on their college life to give more depth.

The Girls Weekend by Jody Gehrman
Release date: June 9, 2020

Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for providing me with a digital advanced copy in exchange for an honest review

#TheGirlsWeekend #NetGalley
What could be more fun than getting together with your girlfriends from college and making a weekend of it! Well, except maybe that the host is the least liked of the group and has to have everything perfect and in control. Also, she married the man you turned down.

Things take a weird turn when they all wake up one morning with only flashes of memory from the night before and their host has disappeared and there seems to be a blood splatter on the wall. What the heck happened?? Well, you'll just hafta read to find out.
I honestly thought I was going to enjoy this story a lot more than I did, however, I did find it easily readable and very entertaining.
Sadie is a mega rich and successful author with a beach mansion who invites her friends from  college to a girls weekend to celebrate her cousin, Amy, who is due to deliver her baby very soon. Sadie has always been a thorn in all of their sides for different reasons. She has also brought along her daughter Dakota, who is seventeen and trying to assert her independence. June has been in constant competition with Sadie all the way back to college when they were vying for the same man, Ethan who married Sadie but is no longer happy with her. Em is June’s best friend but has made a mistake and told Sadie something in the past and she plans to share this information with the world. Amy is totally dependent on Sadie and even has a home on her property. Kimiko has troubles of her own and owes Sadie money.
When a night of heavy drinking leads to blackouts and missing parts of the night followed by a morning where Sadie is missing and there are signs of a crime, everyone is on edge. Everyone at the house had something to gain from Sadie being gone. Tension and accusations fly and as Sadie gives reasons for each person to be guilty, I find myself as baffled as her.
It was an enjoyable book. I did feel that with the small group of characters that it could have been any of them and they all had unique back stories. Thank you Netgalled for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!
When I saw the synopsis for The Girls Weekend on Netgalley, I knew I had to request it. Not only am I a sucker for entertaining, guilty- pleasure books that are also closed room mysteries, but the description literally said, “For fans of Ruth Ware”. I was sold because Ruth Ware is definitely up there as one of my auto buy authors.
Needless to say, they weren’t kidding. This book gave me serious “In a Dark, dark wood vibes”, so if you’ve read that one and enjoyed it, you’ll also love this!

The setting was the epitome of atmospheric and climatic, as I was able to picture myself there in that huge, sumptuous house for a girls weekend away from civilization. The dialogues were well constructed, flew effortlessly, and I thoroughly relished the characters’ dynamics.

Another aspect that I give Gehrman kudos to, and one of the reasons I will be picking up future books by her is the way she uses beautiful metaphors that work to her advantage in accentuating the mood of the story. One example of this would be, “A messy sunset has erupted across the bay. It’s all purples, reds, and pinks, the palette of an open wound.” The only reason I won’t be giving this 5 stars is because I wanted more from the ending. It was somewhat predictable and wrapped up too nicely in a bow. But overall, I would really recommend it if you’re fond of cozy mysteries akin to Ruth Ware, Lucy Foley and Shari Lapena.

Thank you to @netgalley and @crookedlanebooks for providing me with a gifted copy in exchange for my honest review. PUB DAY for this is June 9th! 🎉
Reviews posted on my blog, goodreads, and bookstagram, links below.
4 stars
I was hooked with the opening line. “Like most clusterfucks these days, it starts with a group text.” Perfect way to set up the ensuing drama.

The girls weekend is a quick, entertaining thriller. A group of old college friends reunite for a girls weekend. During a drunken night which none of them can remember, one of the women goes missing leaving bloodstains around the house. Despite the premise being nothing super unique, this book was very enjoyable to read. The characters were all well fleshed out and the relationships between them strained and believable as they would be 10 years after college.

I have a bad habit of being able to guess the ending or who the killer is in the beginning, but this one had enough plausible suspects that I actually wasn’t able to guess who the killer was. I had suspicions on a few of them so the reveal was both surprising and not because it was set up properly.

If you’re looking for a quick thrilling read, definitely pick this up when it releases on June 9th!

*I was given an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books
Girls Weekend was my first book from this author and I will say that I enjoyed her work and plan to read more of her books.  I started this book on a lazy Sunday and was halfway through the book in no time.  I could have easily finished it in a day, but well, life.....  The characters were likable, (mostly) and while parts of the book were predictable, it didn't ruin the book.  There was no way I would leave this book unfinished!  It's a page turning whodunit that will have you guessing until the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Land Books for providing this ARC in exchange for my honest review.