Cover Image: The Duke's Embrace

The Duke's Embrace

This is sweet, romantic and amusing. All Eve wants is to be a journalist, she wants to use her father's paper as a jumping place, but he won't allow it. The Cressmouth Gazette is strictly about Christmas things and Cressmouth. Bastien has spent the last 20 years waiting to go home to France. He and his brother Lucien had to pay off the land lease for their uncle before they could leave, and they had finally done it. All they had left to do was sell their smithy. After Bastien offers a suggestion to Eve that could help her, he asks that she help him sell the smithy. Working on the ad, then a big article, together, they both realize that they have had the wrong idea about each, and that they like each other. Unfortunately her father doesn't like Bastien or Lucien, and a spilled secret becomes a line to cross. This series is so amusing and romantic, every story is well written and has amazing characters.
It just isn't Christmas without at least ONE Dukes of Christmas book!  As with the others, short, sweet and a great escape into Regency England.

The only thing keeping this from being a full five stars was the use of the term, with quotation marks "fake news".  That booted me RIGHT out of the book and reminded me of the here and now, which is the opposite of what I read fiction books for.

Despite that, the characters were fully fleshed out, the secondary characters who are going to be starring in their own book were also developed and while the story SEEMED to be going in a bad direction, the author deftly prevented it from going where I was worried it was heading.  So, excellent read and highly recommended, as with all of the others.

4, it's not Christmas without the Dukes, stars.  Note: there is a rather heated naughty scene between two non-married characters, though not explicit, the reader can fill in the gaps, so not 100% clean.  Didn't bother me, but I know some readers don't enjoy that and may not be suitable for younger readers.

My thanks to NetGalley and WebMotion for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.
I enjoyed this historical romance of Miss Eve Shelling and Monsieur Sebastian le Duc. And also all the rest of the characters.

Miss Eve Shelling is a young journalist that works for her father. She wants to write real news not about Christmas stuff that is happening around the village.  She has decided to try to write something different and choose to write about the local blacksmith as her subject of interest.

Sebastian Le Duc is one of the local blacksmith and also a pillar of his community. He dreams are of return to France and restoring the family's name and reclaim their birthright. Now that his uncle owns the property of the smithy they might try to sell it and use the money to help get to France.

This story was fun to read. I enjoyed how caring Sebastian was to Eve.

I received a complimentary copy from Netgalley. This is my honest unbiased opinion.
what an amazing book!! The author is a master of creating stories and characters. I will definitively be reading books of this author!! Great job.
Eve wanted to be a journalist and to write the kind of stories that her archaic father disapproved of. Her father was a dismissive bitter man. Because of a bad connection Eve made long ago her father wanted to hear nothing she had to say and Eve had reconciled long ago with that fate.

Eve knows of the handsome rake Sébastien le Duc and wants nothing to do with him. Sébastien isn't just a rake. Eve discovers he's a smuggler as well. Will the heart overpower the head? Eve has a good story to share, a truth, but will she do it?

I would give this 3.75 rating. It was a good story with lots of witty banter.
This is book 7 in Erica's series and it was absolutely wonderful.  It's got action, drama, humor, romance and a handsome hero.  There was never a dull moment for me.  Loved it!
This was a fast-paced, swoon-worthy read, that I found I did not want to put down! The story was original and exciting with characters that were realistic and likable. It is everything you could want in a delightful stroll through the pages of a historical romance and more!
The seventh book in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series a well written Christmas story that I was not putting down until I had finished reading. This is journalist Miss Eve Shelling and blacksmith Monsieur Sébastien le Duc's story, a story I enjoyed reading. I now want to read the other books in this series.
Love this series.  Eve and Sebastien's story is as adorable as the rest of the series.  With its light-hearted tone and great banter, this book is a bright spot to any day.  I really enjoy how quick it was to get lost in and read.  I finished it in a day.
I always enjoy Erica Ridley's novels which are a lot of fun.  This series is a great read when you want to feel festive all year round.
I have yet to find an Erica Ridley book I didn't like.  I love the 12 Dukes series, and this was no exception!  I just love all of the characters and the plots.  Such a great story and series!
This is a well-written book which kept my attention throughout  ,I enjoy reading this entertaining series

Journalist Miss Eve Shelling never goes anywhere without a trusty notebook and her overprotective  bull mastiff.
Working for her father has its limits however , especially as she also acts as the sole typesetter, the entire writing staff, and one half of the printing team
Hardworking blacksmith, Sebastien le Duc wants nothing less than to be the focus of Eve's next front page ……… he has more than one secret to keep , but most of all just wants to return to France with his brother .
As Eve gets in the way of the brothers' plans - she must take care not to put their lives at stake .
The favour for favour between Eve and Sebastien allows for romance to blossom - can they have their HEA at the cost of the brothers plans .?

This Author continues to write historical romances that draws the reader in , investing them in the outcomes .

I was given an arc of this book by the Publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review .

Unpaid and under-appreciated journalist Miss Eve Shelling never goes anywhere without a trusty notebook and her overprotective Duenna—who happens to be a bullmastiff. Eve learned the hard way that men are not to be trusted. She’s definitely not falling head-over-heels for the deceptively charming subject of her front-page column.
Local blacksmith Monsieur Sébastien le Duc is the pillar of his community—when he’s not pillaging elsewhere. He’s a rakish dandy with a heart of stolen gold and two teeny tiny secrets. One happens to be a wee international smuggling operation. The other involves losing his heart to an ambitious journalist determined to expose the truth at any cost.
This was a great story by a great author. I’ve read a number of her books and they don’t disappoint. I really liked both main characters as well as the plot. I recommend.
**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book
Erica Ridley is not only a great author, but she will keep you engaged in the storyline like no other author will (with few exceptions😊). Here you find a plenty of romance, unusual plots and great storyline that would make you finish the book and crave for more. You will never get bored with her books because they do captivate the readers!
My Rating: 3.5
e-Book/ Netgalley/ January2020
Thank you Netgalley and the author for the review copy.  All opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
I am a huge fan of Erica Ridley's 12 Dukes of Christmas series and it is no surprise that I have come this much into a series!.
This book follows an enthusiastic journalist, Eve Shilling,  who wants to establish herself and experience writing radical articles in the community, and a hardworking blacksmith, Sébastien le Duc, who just seems to harbor secrets that can put his family's life at stake.
First, as usual, I loved the writing and the word choices used for the characters and it went really well with the personalities of them as well. When you compare the storyline with the previous titles, I feel the flow could have been better and I didn't get the feel-good element after I finished the book. But when you take the book as a stand-alone, the story was quite unique and I really enjoyed the simple banter among the two main characters.
Overall, I am really glad I am continuing with the series and if you are looking for a short historical romance series, I definitely recommend this one!
Ive been waiting for a story about the le Duc brothers and this one did not disappoint. I thought Sebastian was the kinder brother and it showed in this story. I loved how headstrong Eve was when her father was upset about her story. Overall I think this story was great and Eve and Sebastian were the perfect match
Humorous and mostly light-hearted, this volume contributes to the world building in Cressmouth, where it is Christmas all year round. I enjoyed Eve and Bastien's story. I heartily disliked Eva's father. I thought the ending was abrupt.
I voluntarily read an advanced review copy provided by the author via Netgalley and I offer my honest opinion in response.
This is Eve Shelling and Sebastian le Duc’s story, seventh in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series; a standalone, happily ever after, no cheating, historical romance with sizzle.
This is a novella, thus, not enough time to develop the storyline and characters to my liking. Maybe it was the laissez-faire attitude to the smuggling that bothered me the most.
I received an electronic copy of this book through NetGalley for my honest opinion.
“The Duke’s Embrace”  (12 Dukes of Christmas #7)” by Erica Ridley.

Another whimsical tale for the 12 Dukes of Christmas series. Although a good stand alone book.

For years Eve Shelling wanted to write news worthy articles, become a renowned journalist and move to London. However being the sole typesetter, the entire writing staff, and one half of the printing team at her father’s Cressmouth Gazette can only get you so far. She just needs one good story. One story that would push her to her dreams. If only her father would allow her to write something other than frothy and wholesome Christmas adverts and articles.

Monsieur Sébastien le Duc (Bastien), the local smithy, and his brother miss their home in France and no longer have any debts holding them back to return home. Except their side hustle of an illegal importing business of brandy and champagne has fallen through. This has left them penniless and no way to support themselves when they do return home. Bastien comes up with a plan to sell their business property.

In an unexpected meeting of the two main characters, Bastien assists Eve with an article.
It becomes a favor for a favor. Which turns to love.

When Eve find out about the illegal importation business - will she decide to write her news worthy story or will she not?

Star rating: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ and 1/2

[** I received a copy of “The Duke’s Embrace”  (12 Dukes of Christmas #7) by Erica Ridley via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to publishers and Netgallery for the opportunity to review this book.]
#12Dukes #NetGalley
Erica's books are always very well received, they add a touch of joy and romance to life, and if they are predictable, it is in a good way, as one reads with the knowledge that good will triumph and love and happiness will eventually fill the lives of the protagonists, after they surmount the trials placed in their path.
Well written and pacy, a great way to spend a few hours enjoying the lighter and kinder side of life.