Cover Image: Arana

Arana

Thank you to author Jennifer Povey for giving me the opportunity to read and give and unbiased review of her book. The story revolves around a soldier who is profoundly affected by his actions during the recenly finished Mars war. He is a modified human with web implants that allow him to be faster, stronger, and more mentally attuned to those around him. He finds himself able to integrate with starship systems that allow him to pilot it between stars systems. For me this is the rare book that I know is well written but just does not give me the fulfillment a good space opera can. Most of the story happens with the soldier, Jose, waxing philosophical rather than with conversation and action. His main concerns, other than a working web, is how to deal with aliens that may or may not act and react like humans.
This is pretty good. The author does a good job of creating suspense and conflict that helps keep the plot engaging. A solid read for hard scifi fans.

Thanks very much for the review copy!
I rather liked this story. The drama and tension were well played and the protagonist's struggles were relatable. The lack of profanity was surprising (and refreshing) for a contemporary adult sci-fi. I was expecting something in the romance department, but the author brushes that aside in a relatively convincing fashion.
An interesting tale and I enjoyed the Star Trek references.  It's a tale about veterans of war and the scars war leaves.   I will read Povey again.