KI-6: Killers

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2019

This was a DNF.  I just could not get into it.  It was so bloody right off the bat.  That would have been okay if the words were matching the gore, but they weren’t.  It was confusing.  I just was not interested and gave up after 20 pages.
I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy this title but I was hoping for something a bit more ridiculous I guess. I think this tried to take itself too seriously and it just ended up being boring for me instead and I ended up skimming the second half. For a similar title that takes it up a few notches I would recommend Kyle Starks' Assassination Nation.
KI-6: Killers by B. Clay Moore is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in early December.

The 'KI-6' is portrayed as running parallel to (maybe even in the opposite direction of) MI-6, due to its members being assigned secret hits & assassinations and being referred to as 'Ninjas,' who can utter an invocation in Japanese and manifest an inner destructive force. As such, these Ninjas are tasked with coming together from different parts of the globe, then finding and retrieving hidden polar jewels. The bright colors of the arctic and the shimmer and gleam of their powers pop excellently against the deep browns and reds of garments, nighttime, and fire, but the storyline is kinda typical and mishmashed in comparison.
Very poor selection of boring characters (one of whom speaks such a stupid type of gibberish you'd happily put a bullet through his head) all tasked with the same underground bit of work, meaning they're either with each other, or against each other.  And seeing as this is just weak fight scene after weakly written argument, you can guess which the authors tended to choose.  After finding the last few titles of Valiant generally getting to a really decent standard, this lame duff-em-up is right back at the bottom of the quality charts.  One and a half stars.
I've been following some of B. Clay Moore's work for a while starting with Hawaiian Dick. He's not the greatest writer but he is growing with Valiant in his works like Savage. Killers meanwhile is his idea of getting into the meat of the Valiant universe. The actions, powers, and the quest leading up to the finale are all great but it has a few flaws. The problem with most action series is that the battles and thrill rides take away most of the story. Gunshots and explosions are more like distractions than anything else.

The reader sees the motivations of most of the characters but their final decision near the end feels kind of last minute. Practically none of them including Mona have any time to develop or recheck their motives. The mercenaries attacking the ninjas don't just waste people's time, they waste good story telling moments. This is a very rushed series that hopefully gets a bigger and more satisfying followup.
Just too much clichés and déja-vu for me taste. The story and characters seem unoriginal and just don't bring anything new or specific to make it worth my time!