Don't Call Me Dirty

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

This was honestly too cute. I've been wanting to read this for a while but it's been a hassle getting a hold of an app that can read the file type
This story tackled some heavy issues that I totally didn't expect. I'm not convinced that QUITE pulled it off, but they definitely made a good go of it, and made some really solid commentary on how society behaves around both the homeless and homosexuals with its different uses of the word 'dirty'.
The only reason I'm not sure it quite worked is because I felt some sort of disconnect with the story. I can't really say why - I don't think I grew as fond of Hama as I wanted to. I loved Shouji though, and I did still like Hama, and they're relationship and how the whole thing was more real than a lot of yaoi mangas one can read.
Overall, this was good story to read. The art was decent, but necessarily my preferred style but still very good. I would totally read more by this author!
** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK FOR MY READING PLEASURE **
Copy received through Netgalley

I loved this! It was a super cute story, with a lovely message, and some great art work.
I was nervous to start, because I thought it would be all about the love story of Shouji falling in love with a homeless man and taking him in, cleaning him up etc, but it was actually about a lot more than that.

This is a yaoi with heart, a touch of romance, and a whole lot of life lessons. From how to treat people, to hurt feelings and broken hearts, and teaching the younger generation what is most important, the story deals with a lot of different issues. There are class issues, it deals with how people blatantly and inadvertently treat old people, sickness, homelessness, and the poor. There's a touch of internalised homophobia, as well as outward homophobia.

In the end, it was a really nice story about a little village, centering mainly around Shouji and Hama. I utterly fell in love with it and will be reading it again, when I need that feel-good glow.
Don't Call Me Dirty by Gorou Kanbe is being published by Tokyopop and came out 31st December 2019. Compared to other BL I've read, it's fairly original and very refreshing in the sense of the idea. I've never read about homeless man before and I must say I really enjoyed the storyline. But it's not just that - we also follow several other events that contribute to overall story. Kanbe's artstyle is pretty clear and neat and was really enjoyable to look at. As for the characters, I enjoyed Hama's (homeless) a little bit more, eventhough I felt for Shouji as well. Their slowly growing relationship was just beautiful. Sex scenes were pleasant bonus in the end.

I'd gladly recommend this stand-alone to anyone interested in BL/yaoi manga. It's sweet little read with no graphic sex (I wouldn't mind that, but it was perfect the way it was).
This was a very interesting BL manga. It has a nice way of tackling the issues of homosexuality and homelessness in Japan and how they can be seen as "dirty" or "lesser" individuals. It was really refreshing to see a manga tackle some serious issues. The translation was better than most and the art's pretty good, Not the most amazing I've seen, but it fits the setting and the pencil-style shading is really nice. The only bad points about this manga are the lack of affectionate/love-making scenes and that it's crammed too much story into just a few chapters. It could really have helped if it was a couple of chapters longer to show more of a build-up to the romance and slow the pace a little. Otherwise, I'd definitely pick up another book (I've read a couple of Gorou Kanbe's works in the original language, and this title has a spin-off featuring the father and his friend from this book) from this author if it's published in English and look forward to more of Tokyopop's foray into BL titles.
"Don't Call Me Dirty" is a sweet stand-alone story.  Shouji is a young gay man who helps run his father's liquor store and the snack store next door.  One day, a homeless man comes to the snack store to get as much as he can buy with only 50 yen.  Shouji soon befriends him, insisting that his dirty outside is not a good reason to look down on him, and that it's a person's character that is truly important.  The characters are well-developed for a one off story, and the art is lovely.  Recommended for collections with BL and yaoi.
This is a manga/graphic novel that I chose because the description sounded very interesting. However, when I read it, there were a few different things going on but none of it wound into a coherent story. I also struggled with the illustrations. They were done in a black and white pencil shading style and my eyes had a difficult time focusing on them. I didn't connect with this piece as a whole, but if you are into manga, you should give it a try. Someone who is into the genre might appreciate this book more. *Advance copy provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
This story is about a young man whoshows kindness to a homless man and along the way they develope feelings for eachother.

It was very touching, I really enjoyed their relathionship and the way it developed.
I also enjoyed how the word "Dirty" is used to reference the things that are deem wrong or disgusting by their society,like the homeless or homosexuality, booth of which are slightly touched on and affect the characters actions.
I expected more. As a person who enjoys manga and LGBTQ themes, I thought I would enjoy this and it was just meh. I couldn't get invested in the characters and it almost felt like I was going back and forth between time lines. The drawings were fine, but the story line needs a bit more work.
Shoji is heartbroken when he realises that his boyfriend doesn't really love him. His boyfriend has simply been experimenting and using Shoji to see what it is like to be in a relationship with a man.

Shoji is heartbroken by his boyfriend's callous behaviour but these difficulties do not stop him from showing compassion to a homeless man called Hama.

Shoji works in his dad's shop and also helps out at his elderly neighbour's shop. As Shoji works out the pain of his broken heart he comes to appreciate the people around him such as the kids who come to buy their snacks in the old mans's shop, the old man himself and his own dad, even though his dad posts everything about Shoji's life on line and doesn't really help that much in the shop.

As Shoji takes care of others in his life he begins to care for Hama the homeless man even though the man is dirty and very smelly. Shoji watches the way that people shun and ignore Hama and he decides to go against the grain and show compassion and care.

Eventually Shoji's compassion and care grow into love and attraction but Hama doesn't appear to be able to return these feelings and Shoji continues to do good to the people around him, nurse his broken heart and ignore his growing attraction for Hama.

Meanwhile there are all sorts of other things happening. Shoji's old neighbour can't manage his shop and so his son decides to close the shop, but Shoji decides to resist that. Someone else is stealing from the shop and trying to blame Hama for the theft and Shoji intervenes and then there are the people of the town who follow Shoji's love life with interest because they have seen the details from twitter (Shoji's dad). This is a great book because there are little stories within the overall story and they bring the manga to vibrant life.

Shoji thinks he is dirty because of his attraction to men and here he is attracted to someone who is physically dirty but who deserves love and compassion like any other person. Shoji has to navigate the desires of his heart whilst managing his shop, his neighbour's shop and doing his best to discourage his dad from posting Shoji's private life on line.

And Shoji has to learn to love and appreciate himself and who he is.

This is a really enjoyable story with humour and lots of well developed characters and great artwork. I really enjoyed reading it and manga fans who enjoy stories about same sex relationships will enjoy this one.

Copy provided via Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.
A cute B/B manga the tells a story of love lost and love found in the most unexpected place in a small prefecture in Japan. The story was interesting, cute, and a unique one shot. The drawing/illustrations are well done. The colors are warm and mute. I very much enjoyed this story.
This graphic novel tells the story of Shouji, a young gay man who befriends and falls for a homeless guy after getting dumped by his ex. The story plays with the themes of homelessness and what it is to be “dirty.” It’s a cute love story but does have sex at the end.
The story itself wasn't anything particularly groundbreaking, but it was still sweet and I found myself looking forward to seeing how it would end.  The artwork is also lovely and adds much to the storytelling.
This was really cute at times and I enjoyed reading it, but it could have been a lot better. I liked the characters but it was slightly confusing at times. I wish they wouldn’t just assumed that Hama was straight because it was obvious he felt something for Shouji.
A cute one-shot read. Not a lot of characterization for the MLI but can't be helped really. The ending was pretty sudden but again, it's a one-shot so to be expected.
Everything I was hoping for. The ages are a little too old for this to be called shonen-ai but it's not steamy enough to be much else. Super sweet, the manga addresses issues of homelessness and draws metaphorical parallels between that and homosexuality in away that clearly frames both in a empathetic and progressive way. Very nicely done. Major take away is dont date straight.
I needed a quick, light read between intense novels and I chanced upon this one while browsing for graphic novel ARCs and this was the perfect one for me!

Because I haven't read a lot of non-fantasy manga, I thought this was going to be a v light comedy and it kind of did start that way, with the same beat as K-dramas and J-doramas with a main character with a heart of gold crossing paths with an unlikely character in the form of a homeless man. And then it got a little darker when it is revealed that Shouji is having relationship problems, which then delved even deeper and made Shouji's character even more complex than I thought.

I loved this. It had the sweet, fun and sort of nostalgic tone to it by setting it in rural Japan with v fun supporting characters, but it also questioned a little bit of issues surrounding class and sexuality. I loved that it was straightforward in dealing with internalized shame and that the story didn't solely hinge on overcoming such feelings, and instead flowed into an overall improvement on the lives of both MCs. I also loved the fact that while the problems could've easily been solved, the author decided to go for a bit more drama but didn't overdo it. It was the perfect balance of fun and light, and sad and heavy. I found the associations with the word "dirty" brilliant.

Although I do think Shouji fell rather fast for Hama, I wouldn't put it against him since he was a really emotional person to begin with, and well, in the end, he was right about Hama.

Other things I loved were the supportive Dad, Mr Kaji's whole story, the rich cultural backdrop, and "Kiddo" - who I thought would just be a passing character but became a good part of the story by the end of it. I also caught on an underlying romantic subplot, which i won't say bec spoilers, and I'm glad it's canon in the post-story comics.

I highly recommend this and I'm glad I found a new mangaka to follow!
*The eARC was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for free in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.
I was slightly skeptic about Don't Call Me Dirty, since the cover isn't the best really. Or the title either. I was wrong, this is actually a good yaoi story. It centers around Shouji, who works at a sake shop with his dad, but helps out the old man at the snack shop next door. Shouji's relationship with his boyfriend is not working and suddenly he meets this homeless guy, who calls himself Hama. Shouji learns to understand stuff through Hama and eventually falls in love with the literally dirty man. But he cleans up nicely at the end of course. This is not your typical yaoi, but it's a homosexual story about relationships and growing up as a person. It's about making choices, sex hurting and talking about real feelings. I'd say this is more seinen than yaoi, which is good. I just can't understand why Shouji doesn't wash Hama! Like, give him clean clothes or something, sheesh.

The art works nicely with the story and looks more grownup too. There's more content and thought in the story and it avoids the overused cliches. I'm glad this has been translated into English, since this is refreshing albeit not so known sadly so. If you want to try a different kind of yaoi, this one's for you!
Don't Call Me Dirty was a 3.5-star read for me. I liked the way the story looked at how the homeless and gay people can sometimes be viewed, with those attitudes helping to tie the characters together. I found some of the LGBT portrayal a little off-putting, but that may be because I am reading the story from a different cultural standpoint. Overall, though, it was a sweet story with a good message.
Unfortunately, I coulnd't download this book/ couldn't open the download...

The premise does sound nice and I haven't read a manga in quite a while, therefore I was excited to dive into this, however, as mentioned above I coul not read this... I will try to find out whether there are ways and then update this review
______________
UPDATE:

After asking for help I was now able to read the manga.

This has been the first manga I've read in about 1.5 to 2 years and I liked it.

First of all, I feel like the description promises something entirely different. The description says "When a young man takes in an unfortunate vagrant, helping him clean up and get back on his feet" and honestly this is not true at all. The young man befriends the homeless man, but he does not take him in, nor does he help him "clean up".

Shouji was a very interesting character and I especially liked how he interacted with the kids. His father was a bit weird, but there always has to be at least one weird character in a manga, so that was fine. Also, I liked that he wasn't the typical father and that he was fine with his son being gay. No problems on this front.

I think the manga did pick a very interesting and also kinda important topic with how homeless people are treated. This made me sad. And I know that this is a standalone, but I wished there was more background story for Hama. In the end we did get to know why he became homeless, but I think this part of the story deserved to be more flashed out.

Plus, I wanted more emotion between Shouji and Hama. From Shouji's point the feelings were sort of just there all of a sudden and from  Hama's POV they weren't, but all of a sudden they were?
Plus, I think that Hama was straight to begin with, but that he did develop some romantic feelings for Shouji over time. So I think this should have also been a bigger part of the storyline. It would have been super interesting seeing how these feelings slowly developed.

Overall a short and entertaining read!