Cover Image: Catherine House

Catherine House

2.75- How disappointing. It’s one of those books that creates the perfect atmosphere and intrigue and it keeps you reading in hopes that something is about to happen…then falls flat. Some compelling ideas with the school but the main character was annoyingly nonchalant about it all and that made what could have been an amazing shocking discovery feel rather bland.
Good book. Really enjoyed it. While reading this at times my heart was racing. Elisabeth Thomas is a really good writer. She had the ability to pull you into the story.
I didn't enjoy this read honestly. It didn't keep me interested or even entertained in the slightest. I just think it was flat out... boring.
I really had no idea what was going on the whole time. Most of the time I was incredibly bored. There's not really a lot of plot.
Houses can be welcoming or forbidding. They can also be the home of their owners or inhabitants. Like Ines, most of her classmates, she is on the run from her demons. She barely passed high school due to her drug use and party lifestyle. She is desperate to get into Catherine House. The rules are strict. Students are required to agree not to have ties to their past lives. There are also no visits or trips home. The faculty knows how to reach out to vulnerable students.

Ines is more sociable, often sleeping in and out of class. Baby is a model student, who constantly works on her classwork and is afraid to be exposed as an imposter. The story begins with a sense of decay and fear at Catherine House. Ines is frightened by her past, and the school represents a new kind of family. Viktoria is stern and motherly, but also offers a complicated kind of nurturing. Catherine House is a novel that draws you in with its many layers of tension and mystery. At times, the story seems too thin, but it still manages to keep you on the edge of your seat. Ines is torn between her desire for home and her fear of being trapped in this nest. The question is whether she can escape or be smothered by it. Thank you, Custom House, for the gifted copy via net galley
I loved this title. I loved the cult-ish feeling it created. The characters were likable and unlikable, all at the same time. I want to visit, but I don't want to live there... For lovers of dark academia, this is the read for you!
I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Something was missing from this book. I cant put my finger on what was wrong, but something was off. I could not connect with this book at all.

Thank you kindly to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for this review copy.
Wonderfully eerie and dripping with tension, Catherine House is perfect for fans of gothic boarding school tales and novels focused on experiences of privilege and class. A bit slow at time, though I think the big twist is well worth your patience.
I left this book with more questions than answers, but I kind of loved it? It was confusing and frustrating at times, but I found myself entranced by it and desperate to know what happened. The ending felt a little rushed, but the moments that led up to it were beautiful and raw.
Plasm.  The question throughout the book as we move through 3 years at Catherines with the carefully selected students to the house.  A bit Gothic horror, a bit science fiction, — it kept my interest and while overall moderately satisfying, I’m left with more questions and unresolved what? than I really like. BUT — it is a haunting read with just enough layering of the questions to keep me reading.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get into this book and I DNFed it after around 50 pages.
Just wasn't for me.
I’m unsure how I feel about this one... at times I wanted to fall asleep and felt almost as lulled and hypnotized as the characters the book described. Yet, there where moments where some of the thoughts and sentiments expressed were truly so real, relatable, and deep. This wasn’t what I’d think of as a #thriller but more of a #gothic abstract tinged with a bittersweet, existential dread throughout. It was haunting and creepy but not in a terrifying, horror genre type of way. It was more just dark and melancholic. That being said something about this is like looking at a piece of art - I can’t put my finger on what about it is so magnetic and moving, but there’s definitely something there.

“You are in the house. The house is in you.” Catherine is an elite university experience, with only a select group of students being invited to learn and live within their hallowed halls. Part of the deal is that for the three years that you spend at the school you can have no outside contact, bring nothing from your life as you knew before it in, and escape is not an option.

The story follows one rebellious young woman, in her three years at Catherine, as she experienced the brainwashing, ritualistic cult like traditions of the school, experiences love, lust, and loss in a near constant drunken and aimless stupor, and discovers the disturbing truth of the secret that lies at the heart of Catherine.

Mad scientists and experiments gone wrong meets gothic haunted house vibes  meets the bizarro Ivy League in this one.

The reviews on this one are SO MIXED so don’t let me discourage you. There is something really extraordinary buried within this one, I promise.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author, for an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.
The synopsis of this book sounded intriguing to me so I requested a copy to read.
Unfortunately, I have tried reading this book on 2 separate occasions and during that 2nd attempt, I have only managed to make it halfway through so I'd rather stop here and state that this book just wasn't for me.
I only finished this book because I cannot start a book and not get to the end. But it was a struggle to make a sense of what was I reading and understand the interaction of the characters.
The main character was not relatable. The plot was confusing.
There had to be people that like this book in sorry to say that I was not one of them.
Enjoyed the story but it was lacking in some areas. The plot moved forward slowly over the course of three years and could have benefited from a quicker pace. The “twists” towards the end were predictable and a little bland because the author never really got to the heart of the science happening. I loved the descriptions of the house and the cult vibes. I also loved the characters. Ending felt incredibly anticlimactic.
This book had soooo much potential! But I could not understand the main component of the plot, plasm! It was way too complicated a topic with hardly any background or explanation from the author. You could tell the author had created this fantastic world building in her head but just it didn’t translate on paper. I read this pretty fast due to the fact that it was really intriguing. But the suspense fell flat and I was left super confused by the main plot and climatic moments. I almost questioned a few times if I was reading a sequel to another book because I had no idea what plasm was.
What an engrossing, yet disturbing book. As a fan of academic fiction, I looked forward to Catherine House and was not disappointed. While the ending left me feeling uncomfortable and dissatisfied, this seemed only appropriate.
SPOILERS: At Catherine House, there’s a special major called “new materials,” and the book occasionally mentions a supposedly revolutionary material called plasma. We don’t learn much about it, though, and the whole arc of the book felt flat. So I thought maybe this was a plotless character study, a type of story that I definitely like, but the narrator was so detached that it was difficult to get a sense of her. I also had a hard time connecting with the other characters; for example, Baby’s death and resurrection (sort of) meant nothing to me. All throughout the book, I felt like a fly on the wall without any context. The gradual tone shift over the course of the book was interesting, and I enjoyed the little bit of horror toward the end when Ines finally understands Viktoria’s proposition, but I didn’t feel these things as strong as I would’ve liked to because I couldn’t really read or feel Ines.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the copy.
Catherine House is a unique and unsettling book. Ines, the main character, has come to Catherine House from bad circumstances. She doesn’t trust everything, but also wants to stay. She drifts from day to day observing everyone and everything around her. We see three years of school life through her eyes and get a glimpse of what may be behind Catherine House. This was very well written and the characters are fully fleshed out. There are a lot of layers to the book. I recommend it. I reviewed this on Goodreads and Amazon as well, but I can’t get the links copied onto this form.
Thank you netgalley and publishers for a copy of this book.

I didn’t love it or hate it, I found myself at a spot in between.

The author did an amazing job with the overall atmosphere and parts were intriguing.

However I felt it was slow at times and drawn out.

I wish the author would have put as much effort into the characters as the atmosphere settings.