Shakespeare for Squirrels

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 May 2020

Christopher Moore is always such a delight to read. I consistently find my laughing out loud at the sheer genius of his writing. Shakespeare for Squirrels is a spin on A Midsummer Nights Dream told only the way Christopher Moore can.
We find our hero Pocket of Dog Snogging, who was in The Serpent of Venice, cast adrift from a ship of pirates off the coast of Greece. When he finally makes it ashore magic, mayhem and murder are afoot and the crazy array of characters keeps you hooked from the start.
If you've read anything by this author you know you are in for a treat and if you have not had the opportunity correct this grievous error immediately and wrap yourself in the warm humorous blanket of laughter that is Christopher Moore.
The continuing adventures of Pocket the fool remain just as clever and funny as the previous books. Moore continues to impress as he weaves the Shakespearean influences into his own tales.
Christopher Moore's take on A Midsummer Night's Dream. Meaning you're going to laugh and then you're going to be appalled at what he did to the play.

Pocket, fool from King Lear, arrives at Greece at the beginning of the play. Soon he finds a murdered Puck and tries to figure out who killed him. Not an easy task since everyone wants to know for their own personal and political reasons. Hilarity ensues. Really, hilarity ensues.

I love A Midsummer Night's Dream. I was slightly appalled at what he did to the characters but as this is a Christopher Moore book, that didn't take away the enjoyment of the book itself. I loved Pocket's fights with Rumour, the narrator who tried to move the plot in the correct direction. I wonder which beloved Shakespeare play he's going to massacre next.
This is a raunchy, bawdy, irreverent, clever, disturbing, insane book.  With squirrels.

I was surprised, but I liked this approach to A Midsummer Night's Dream,  because the author has his character ask questions I didn't know I wanted to ask.  For example, if this is Greece, why aren't the men in loincloths, and the women in sheets?
What a fun take on A Midsummer Night's Dream. Moore did his research and (mostly) kept his characters true to the original work. He added his own twists and lots of expletives and voila (he said in perfect f*$king french) - Shakespeare for Squirrels was made.

Humor isn't usually my thing, but this was welcome romp and one I would recommend to others.
Moore has outdone himself. With the exception of Lamb, this may be my favorite book of his yet. After the brutal misstep of Noir, I thought he'd lost his edge. Fear not, Pocket and Drool are back for their third Shakespearean jaunt and this time it's Midsummer Night's Dream, my favorite play. There were several parts in this book where I laughed until my side hurt or my eyes teared up. The fairies are absolutely brilliant, the frequently quoted line is the goblins (which I won't ruin, but they say it constantly) cracked me up, and the play at the end is perfection. Moore manages to create a different concluding play by the craftsmen while keeping their inherent characteristics that made them such unique characters. That's the best part--the bones of MSND are all here. It's still the same basic story, just bastardized in a way only Moore can do. And with squirrels. So many sodding squirrels.