Seduce Me with Sapphires

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Feb 2020

The books was interesting to read. I did not read the 1st book, but that did not affect it at all. In fact I will read the book number one soon. Plot was fine. Character growth too. Strong feminine with a lot of guts. Good read!
Seduce Me with Sapphires is the second in this series, though it could be read as a stand alone. I found it rather odd. I really could not connect with either of the main characters.

Fenella Grantley has been suffering from ennui, bored with her life, which she admits to herself is ungrateful because as the daughter of a baron, she lives a very privileged life. She has a suitor, George, who believes that she will be his wife, but she only thinks of him as a friend, knowing they would not work, as he does not really listen to her or appreciate her opinions. One thing this book does do, is demonstrate how privileged the upper class was, when the author describes the life of the servants in comparison to that of Fenella and her friends. Fenella had enjoyed acting in plays when she was younger, so has joined a drama class. She is fortunate again, that her parents give her freedom to come and go as she pleases, trusting her to have good sense. The drama class is presented with the opportunity to perform a new play, by Edward Tremayne, the illegitimate son of an Earl and an actress. His father had removed him from his mother at the age of 7, educated him, but he was still treated as second class by his half siblings, receiving no love from his father. Instead of taking on the role offered by his father as groundskeeper, he works as a research assistant to a professor at King's College and wrote this play, Sapphire, with Fenella as his inspiration for the main character, Rose, although they had only passing acquaintance. The two of them are like fire and water. They quickly begin an affair, too quick in my opinion, and I find it hard to believe that after how he was treated growing up, that Edward would risk having a child out of wedlock and that Fenella would take that risk either. And like Fenella, I found parts of the book boring.

I read an ARC provided by NetGalley.com. This is my unbiased and voluntary review.
I had a difficult time getting into this book. I felt that it did not stay true to the time period. Fenella acted more of a modern day woman. She went out with out a chaperone and was able to stay out all night. Edward was mercurial and I could not believe the attraction between the two.
I receive an ARC via NetGalley for my honest review.
An intelligent heroine more than a match for her hero. That's 3 stars right there, add humour, a brilliantly descriptive and immersive world, and some steamy scenes. 4 stars. Could have been 5, but the determination of the hero and heroine to fight, and her at times, dare I say, "childish" behaviour dragged it down for me. But, read it folks. Seriously
In the early years of the 20th century, the suffragette movement was in full swing in London, and Fenella, the heroine of this story, is at least tangentially involved, though she isn’t actually depicted going on marches or to meetings. She is, however, exceptionally independent, something facilitated both by her wealth and birth (daughter of a viscount) and by her extremely casual parents who don’t worry when she comes in at three in the morning after a night out with friends. Fenella dreams of being an actress and has been secretly taking drama classes, and the story begins when a playwright comes to her class of amateur dramatists and asks them to read his play.

Edward Tremayne hasn’t chosen this group at random, though, and he very specifically wants Fenella to read Rose, the main character from his play. It very quickly comes out that he’s been what I can only call stalking and obsessing over her, somehow conflating her with the character as ‘the only person who can play Rose’ which frankly is extremely creepy and disturbing, especially since Rose is morally ambiguous at best. Edward honestly appears morally bankrupt, and being illegitimate and cast off by his family is no excuse for his behaviour. It’s no use the author trying to make him appear heroic by saying of course he thinks women deserve the vote, when the very next thing he does is patronize and berate Fenella entirely unjustly. Actions speak much louder than words, and every action he took showed he didn’t think her to be his equal.

Fenella’s behaviour made no sense. Edward was horrible to her at their first meeting, at their second he confessed to literally stalking her, and at their third she slept with him. From then on she was lying to her family and using her friends to give her cover stories when she needed them. And for what? For a man with a hair-trigger temper who continually gaslit her and told her it was her fault he lost his temper? Walking away was the smartest thing she did, but unfortunately I knew it wouldn’t last.This was one of those rare romances where I just didn’t want the protagonists to end up together because I thought they were genuinely terrible for each other. One star for a romance which was anything but romantic.

Note: I forgot how much I hated the first book in this series. That’ll teach me to one-click on NetGalley titles just because the cover is pretty.
I love Jane Feather's books and Seduce Me with Sapphires which is one of the best ones yet! Really loved this one and highly recommend.

Many thanks to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
I liked this book much better than its predecessor, however, it was not without issues. It was extremely modern and apart from a few details, could almost be a contemporary romance. I really didn’t connect with either of the main characters and found all the freedom Fenella had to be fairly unbelievable. Fenella and Edward have a volatile and fairly dysfunctional relationship based on sex and eat and drink a lot, then Fenella leaves him to eat and drink some more with her friends. I kept expecting more or a showdown discussion of their real feelings and it just felt a bit anticlimactic to me. This was a unique trope and I liked that and enjoyed the read overall. The writing was good and I will read this author again.
I am a fan of Ms. Feather but somehow I could not connect to the characters in this story. They seemed far fetched with no emotional connection to me or to each other.
Their relationship seemed dysfunctional and solely based on sex.  I eventually just gave up and could not continue to read the book.
This was a good book overall, though I did have a few things that I looked at a bit cross-eyed. Both characters are well-born, but not typical of their contemporaries. Their relationship is very volatile, as both have tempers.

Fenella is the daughter of a baron, but one who doesn't enjoy Society life, which she finds dreadfully dull. She is a modern woman who is interested in world events, politics, and women's suffrage. She has a suitor who takes the progress of their relationship for granted. She also has a secret. She wants to be an actress and has been taking acting lessons in pursuit of that goal. She is excited when the acting coach brings a new play to class, and she reads the leading role. Things go downhill quickly when the play's writer verbally attacks her interpretation of the character, and Fenella fires back with her own opinion, then walks out.

Edward is the illegitimate son of an earl. After the age of seven, he was raised with his legitimate siblings, who never let him forget that he was an outsider. He received an excellent education but became persona non grata with his family when he preferred to make his own way in the world. Edward is happy with his job as a research assistant for an English professor, which gives him time for his writing. The lead in his play is based on the girl who fascinated him when he was younger - Fenella. The woman she is now is equally fascinating but also incredibly frustrating.

The sparks flew between Fenella and Edward from the moment they met. Fenella is independent and outspoken and has no problem telling Edward precisely what she thinks. Edward is focused on his goal and protective of his work. I will say that I didn't like Edward much at the beginning. He is so volatile, flipping from angry to nice to angry again at the drop of a hat. I would begin to think that he'd finally settled down when something would set him off again. I understood why Fenella wasn't sure whether she liked the man, even though she was attracted to him. She was interested enough in the play to give him a second chance, but she was also wary. That wariness, however, wasn't enough to stop the attraction she also felt.

I was surprised by the speed with which Fenella and Edward became intimate. Those sparks burst into flame within a few days, and from there on out, they could barely keep their hands off each other. The ease with which Fenella was able to be alone with Edward was surprising. No one seemed to care that she went off alone, came home in the wee hours, if at all, or changed plans with no notice. There were a few instances where I saw some logic in her actions. I liked that she was determined to keep their personal relationship separate from their professional one, as she worried that he was only interested in keeping her in her role as Rose.

There were several times when I thought Edward strayed too close to abusive behavior. His frequent bursts of temper were disturbing, especially when he didn't seem to know what set him off. He had some times of being controlling, though Fenella did fairly well of pulling out of those when she wanted to. The more I got to know Edward, the more I realized that some of it was that he didn't know any better because of the way he was raised. There were other times when he was charming and thoughtful, which gave me hope for their future.

There was one point near the end when that future became questionable. When Fenella impulsively does something she thinks will help Edward, she doesn't think it all the way through. Edward blows up, saying some unspeakably cruel things, rather than considering the spirit of the offer. I ached for them both, as Fenella believes that everything is over between them, and Edward wants to find a way to mend fences. The dinner scene before the ball was painful for all, but especially for Fenella, stuck between Edward and George. The ball scene was fun. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing George get what was coming to him. Edward and Fenella had a productive discussion before going on to face down his nasty half-siblings. I loved the epilogue and seeing how the play was received. I loved Edward's big moment at the end. Fenella described their relationship perfectly when she said, "We're like pieces of a jigsaw; we fit together, except sometimes when we seem to be in different puzzles."

I liked Fenella's friends, Diana and Petra. I will need to go back and read Diana's story. I liked her and what I saw of her husband. There was a sneak-peek into Petra's book at the end of this one, and I am intrigued to read hers, too.
I've enjoyed binging on historical romance books lately. I"ve found some really good authors lately that I have not tried yet, but not everyone has a been a winner for me. I think this one is an example of a "it's not you it's me" case.  I did not connect with either main character. I also did not get invested in the relationship they were suppose to have. This one also felt to modern/contemporary for me to like it as a historical romance book. I might have been able to overlook all of that if the plot was more than what it was. I just got bored, and felt nothing really every happened besides them having sex. How was I supposed to fall in love with their love if it was all sex?? I will try this author again but this one was a miss for me.
A FLAWED CUT . . .
The Honorable Miss Fenella Grantley has a secret: she’s been taking drama classes and longs to be an actress. Ladies of her standing don’t appear on stage, but Fenella has never been one for society’s rules. She’s quite excited to take on the challenge of reading the leading role in a new play—until she meets the playwright. Toeing the line between infuriating and irresistible, his first impression leaves a lot to be desired . . .

OR A RARE FIND?
Edward Tremayne, illegitimate son of the Earl of Pendleton, scorned the ton years ago, making his own way in the world, and pursuing his literary gifts on the side. The only thing he misses from his old world is Fenella. Since seeing her at a ball when she was a young debutante, he’s never forgotten her. Now that fate has reunited them, Edward’s determined to make her his leading lady—in every way. But the only thing they see eye to eye on is their intense passion for each other. And it just may take a massive misunderstanding for their love to get on the same precious page . . .
This is the second book in the series and although connected they can be read as standalone titles. I enjoyed this read more than the first book. although they are rated  similarly.
Strong characters and plot are what they have in common.
This book gets 4.85 of 5.0 stars
I received a complimentary ARC to read which in no way influenced my opinion of this book.
I received an ARC of Seduce Me With Sapphires by Jane Feather from Netgalley. Fenella Grantley and Edward Teemayne, a playwright and an illegitimate son of an Earl are destined to be a part of each other's lives. Edward has almost always seen Fenella as the heroine of his drama but she can't imagine how she would play the character being an amateur. Their worlds collide and sparks fly.
I have read almost everything that this amazing author has read and loved them all. The premise of this story had the heroine, Fenella, venturing out on her own to secretly take acting lessons and that brings her in contact with the playwright, Edward Tremayne. She soon realizes she remembers seeing him several times at dances and he was the one standing against the wall glaring.  Edward had never forgotten Fenella either.
The journey begins of two strong willed people who clash constantly but are attracted in spite of it or maybe because of it. Edward wanted her to be the main roll in his play. but they definately set out on the wrong foot. But he is determined to have her in more ways than one..
Well drawn characters, strong emotions, a mystery, sizzling romance and a lot of twist and turns with humor thrown in, bring this tale full circle and have you guessing if these two will ever work it out!
Simply a must read!
3.5 Stars
Seduce Me with Sapphires by Jane Feather is book Two in The London Jewels Trilogy.  This is the story of Edward Tremayne and Fenella Grantley.  I have read the previous book but feel this can be  a standalone book if you wish to do so.  Edward is the illegitimate son of the Earl of Pendleton which has left he beneath the towns eye.  SO Edward had to make it on his own which also included writing plays.  Fenella wants to be a actress but of course her upbringing doesn't allow for that, but she still works to do so.  Edward and Fennella have sparks between them and he does want her to be an actress for one of his play.  But of course things are very complicated.
I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. Seduce Me With Sapphires is the second book in Jane Feather’s London Jewels Trilogy. It can be read as a stand-alone. It’s been a while since I’ve read a book by Jane Feather and this one is an old school romance with a hero who’s just a little bit dark. Edward Tremayne is the natural son of an Earl who was raised within the Earl’s family but then disowned when he wasn’t interested in spending the rest of his life in servitude to the Earldom. Fenella Grantly wants something different than marriage to a peer and running his household.  She is interested in woman’s suffrage and is secretly studying acting. When Edward brings a play he has written to her acting teacher, he asks her to read the lead role, and although she finds him overbearing, with a chip on his shoulder, there is a spark there, and she agrees to play the part.  Edwards's pride and her desire for independence lead to conflicts between them and their road to HEA is not a smooth one.  Medium Steam. Publishing Date January 28, 2020.  #NetGalley #SeduceMeWithSapphires #JaneFeather #OldSchoolRomanceNovel #HistoricalRomance #bookstagram #bookstagramer #KensingtonBooks #ZebraRomanceNovels
Quite an unconventional heroine is Fenella, as a lady of society her views on suffrage and acting class is unheard of, but Fenella is an independent thinker and runs about town. Meeting Edward, the playwright of the play her life opens to a different way of life. Edward is a moody, social outcast, at least his family turned their backs on their bastard sibling, but he likes the simpler things in life and with the help of the money from his mother he's able to live as he likes, independent of his family. This book is very entertaining, full of humor, great characters and lots of heat!
Seduce Me with Sapphires is the first 'modern' historical romance I've read by Jane Feather. All of the others were written in the 90's so I was excited to see how Feather's writing developed over the years. In terms of writing style, I enjoyed it and felt quite nostalgic for her other beloved series.

However, I was a little confused as to the time period of this story. I had to do further research to discover this book is set in the early 1900's and I'm not overly familiar with society's rules for this era. There were many moments in the story that had me wondering if the characters could really act like that in public; for example, at the beginning of the book, Fenella storms out of a play reading and when chased by Edward, she immediately tells him he can buy her a hot chocolate at the nearby cafe. As previously mentioned, I'm not too familiar with the early 1900's but since I've read a lot of regency, this behaviour and freedom seemed strange to me. I'd definitely like to read the previous book in this series to compare behaviours and social etiquette.

The characters themselves were constantly butting heads but I loved how Feather used this behaviour to work through their own individual issues and become better together as a pair. And boy, did they have a lot of personal issues! Fenella was at times hypocritical and didn't like it when Edward would point this out. She was also ashamed to be seen with him for quite some time and came across as a little spoilt. Edward, on the other hand, was quite scornful towards society due to his upbringing but it didn't stop him from working hard in his job while writing plays in his free time and I admired his determination.

Overall this story did have a few issues but Feather's ability to weave a story is wonderful. I really enjoyed this one and I look forward to reading more from Feather in the future. 3.5 stars!
Fenella Grantley is a feisty uptown girl who has grown bored of the monotony of a socialite’s lifestyle. Enter Edward Tremayne, a man with the roughest edges of any hero I’ve ever read. Edward is broody and a bit rude and completely different from any man Fenella has ever met. The attraction between these two characters is instant; they quickly begin a passionate relationship full of romance, food, and bantering.
I loved Fenella’s strength and attitude. However, Edward often comes off as overbearing and controlling. He seems to have no regard for Fenella’s feelings, indeed he doesn’t even seem to see her as an actual person! I struggled to like him and to want to see him with the plucky heroine.
The story structure, overall, is satisfying with a few inconvenient problems. Fenella’s friends are excellent side characters, also possessing her verve for life. However, Fenella’s parents, her “respectable” suitor (George), and the many servants who flit in and out of the story are all underdeveloped caricatures with no interesting purpose. Also, while the plot moves at a pleasing pace, the character perspective often jumps from one to another which jars the reader from the action of the story. Finally, as I said before, the hero is really a bit worse than a lovable rogue and is often downright cruel to the lovely heroine. Because of all these, I felt compelled to continue reading the story but never fell in love with the people or felt invested in their situation.
Fenella Grantley is the daughter of an earl. She has two best friends that she confides in about everything. She has been taking a drama class and eventually hopes that she can be an actress. During a class, she is introduced to Edward Tremayne who is the illegitimate son of the Earl of Pendleton. He hates society but his dad gave him an excellent education. He is also a playwright of a new play he is trying to get off the ground. He is rude and arrogant and doesn't listen to Fenella. They seem to be arguing all the time. This was a slow read for me. I also found Fenella's behavior a little out of sink. She did a lot of walking by herself and thought nothing of it. She also went all over town again alone. I love the writing of Jane Feather and enjoy her books so much but this is just a little slow.
I received this ARC from Net Galley and voluntarily reviewed it.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from netgalley.

It took me like a full week to read this book, when i usually finish one in a day.I finally had to sit down and power through so I could finish it and move on to something else.
 I thought right from the beginning that it kind of seemed unbelievable. Fenella is from the upper classes, but feeling.. i guess depressed/ melancholy. So she has started taking acting lessons. One day when she arrives to class its to be told that they will be putting on a play written by Edward Tremayne. Edward decides that Fenella should read the part of Rose who is the main character..
Almost immediately they start to argue, Fenella storms off and Edward chases after. They go back to his house and talk about the play then kiss.. She goes back the next day and they have sex.
It was like there wasn't any real emotional connection between the characters. They met, had lots of sex, ate a lot of food. argued A LOT.... Also it did feel very modern, that might have been written that way because its taking place when women are trying to get the right to vote.. But it felt kind of unrealistic.. Fenella just wandered around with no problems, her parents had almost no issues with Fenella going out with a man late at night. and not coming home till even later..
It wasn't a bad book, I just didn't connect to it.. I haven't read the first book in this series, but I have read some of Jane Feathers older books that I really enjoyed.