Belinda Blake and the Birds of a Feather

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Mar 2020

My Thoughts: I always appreciate a good mystery that can keep me guessing, and that's certainly what I had here with Birds of a Feather. I loved that the clues were all there and yet the ending was a surprise until mere seconds before the character found out.
The series works as a continuation but you can easily understand it if you read the books out of order. Personally, I really enjoyed reconnecting with her friends in Greenwich ... a little more than her hometown crew. It did take a little while for the story to heat up for me, but once it did, I was treated to a memorable mystery.

Rating and Recommendation: I'm giving it 4 stars and recommending it to those who enjoy cozy mysteries. This is a clean fiction novel, which means there wasn't a spiritual message but it was a very clean story without anything offensive ... aside from murder. ;)

~ I received a copy from NetGalley. I was not compensated for my review or required to give a favorable one.
This cozy mystery was okay. The plotting was good. I did want to know who did what, and it kept me reading. But I felt the identity of the killer was telegraphed pretty clearly, and the characterizations just didn't ring true to me.

Review copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
We’ll start with the one thing I’m not happy about with Belinda Blake and the Birds of a Feather: This is the last book in the Belinda Blake series 🙁

Yes, it’s another great instalment in Belinda’s life as an exotic petsitter, and it wraps up well, but I’d like more.

For those who have been following the series, we do get an answer to Belinda’s little romance problem. For those who haven’t been following the series … this is the third in the series, and while it’s an excellent standalone novel, there is a little backstory that you might appreciate more if you read Snake in the Grass and Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing first

Belinda returns to her hometown after her best friend’s mother dies. While she’s there, she gets pulled into caring for the lady’s homing pigeons … and investigating a suspicious death in the neighbourhood. As you do.

Belinda is a great character—fun, intelligent, and slightly weird. She has two jobs: she’s a video game reviewer who probably understands more of what my teenage son says than I do, and she babysits exotic pets: snakes, wolves, and pigeons, among others. The novel is written in first person, and her quirky voice works well as a narrator.

As with the other books in the series, this is a fun mystery with no on-the-page violence but plenty of humour, witty dialogue, and great characters. I’ve enjoyed this series, and I’m sorry to see it end (although I am hoping that hint towards the end was prepping us for more Belinda Blake books—hint, hint).

Recommended for cozy mystery fans.

Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review.
This is the third installment in the Belinda Blake Cozy Mystery series by Heather Day Gilbert. I loved Gilbert's writing and have read the previous books in this installment and I enjoyed this one just as much. I felt like Belinda and the other cast of characters were old friends and her I was visiting them again for the third time. Belinda goes back to her hometown this time, the story is more personal. I loved that it also focused on Belinda's love life, and I did enjoy that very much! Overall, this is one of those series that should not be missed for any fans of cozy mysteries. I highly recommend this book and the entire series for an entertaining read. Heather Day Gilbert sure knows how to create lovable characters!!
After a death of a family friend, Belinda Blake returns home to pay her respects. Reconnecting with her old friend, Jonas, she agrees to help him care for his deceased mother's flock of homing pigeons while she's in town.  The death of a local college student leads to a the tragic death of a young woman three years ago, which might not have been an accident. Belinda's investigation puts her in the crosshairs of a killer. And returning home makes her question her life and exotic back in Greenwich.  Interesting cozy, good characters and a killer you'll never suspect.
The third novel in the Belinda Blake series by Heather Day Gilbert has finally arrived. Birds of a Feather is a great addition to Gilbert's superb cozy series. I have loved the love triangle that developed between Stone the Fifth and Belinda and Jonas, but never quite understood so well Belinda’s attraction to Stone the Fifth until this book: Stone looks like a “modern-day Remington Steele.” Ooh, la, la, pretty certain that might have swayed me a little more (ok, a LOT more) to Team Stone the Fifth over Team Jonas.

Belinda returns home to her little hometown for the funeral of Jonas’s mom. She reluctantly agrees to sit the pigeons Jonas’s mom was watching at the time of her death. While home, Belinda meets up with an old reporter friend who quickly involves her in a mystery of first one drunk college literary club member, then another.

I would have liked to see the pets (pigeons) play as big a role in this novel as the snake and the wolves did in the first two.  I did enjoy the heightening of romantic elements. I also loved this mystery. I could really feel the tension of needing to "help" solve the crime before Belinda herself is in mortal danger. But guess the correct murderer? Nope. Gilbert still was wilier than me. AND Gilbert left the door open, that just MAYBE, there COULD be a book four. Bring it on!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author and publisher through NetGalley. This did not influence my opinions, which are my own, and for which I am solely responsible.
When Belinda goes home to help her friend Jonas take care of his mom's pigeons (after she passed away), she doesn't expect to get involved in murder.  Can she stay safe while investigating?

Great Cozy Mystery with an interesting twist at the end. I'm really enjoying this series.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor.
I love the Belinda Blake books!! I cannot recommend this series enough!! This book was a little different from the previous books, a little less exotic animals and a little more focused on Belindas love life.

When Belinda arrives in Larches Corner, her hometown, to comfort her grieving friend she’s immediately asked to care for his deceased mother, Naomi's flock of homing pigeons. But Belinda’s plans for A quick trip home change when a young college student is killed in a suspicious hit and run. Jonas mentions in passing that he thinks it is very suspicious. She is then persuaded to help her friend and reporter, Chloe, investigate what is soon believed to be a murders.  Before she knows it she is wrapped up in another murder investigation!!

Great read, great characters, great series!
Belinda Blake and Birds of a Feather is a great new release in the An Exotic Pet-Sitter Mystery series; I have read the other books in the series and was hoping that the third would live up to that reputation. It certainly did! I love that this novel has so many elements of a great cozy mystery series for me – a strong female lead, a plentiful supply of humour, a perplexing mystery, some twists, and an easy to read, yet interesting plot. Belinda Blake and Birds of a Feather ticked all these boxes and was a fabulously entertaining read! This could easily be enjoyed as a stand alone novel, but reading them in order would, of course, enable more understanding about Belinda as a character, and her past. Belinda has been involved in a couple murder investigations. Her curiosity, sense of justice, ability to ask pertinent questions and consider different scenarios make her a huge help to law enforcement.

I really enjoyed the savvy sleuthing in the story. The moment Belinda arrives in Larches Corner, her Upstate New York hometown, she’s immediately recruited to care for deceased friend, Naomi's flock of homing pigeons. But Belinda’s plans for a swift visit scatter when a young college student is killed in a suspicious hit and run. She is persuaded to help her friend and reporter, Chloe, investigate what is soon believed to be a murder. The young man, Jackson, was part of a literature group and the second one to have died.

The escalating fatalities, unique suspects, and classic misdirections all help to make this a truly brilliant read, in what is definitely a favourite cozy mystery series of mine!

I confidently recommend Belinda Blake and Birds of a Feather.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my request, from Kensington Books via NetGalley, and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
I received this ARC via Netgalley and Kensington Books, in return for an honest review. While the third book in this series, it is easily read as a standalone.  The series premise is very clever and allows interesting scenarios to develop.  Belinda Blake is an exotic pet-sitter in New York.  She returns to her small hometown when their next-door neighbor and the mother of her dear friend, Jonas, dies of cancer.  Belinda joins her parents, Jonah, and his brother in grieving for Naomi’s death.  While home, Belinda offers to care for Naomi’s flock of pigeons until Jonah can find them a new home.  Belinda uses the time to also reconnect with her good friend, Chloe.  Chloe is now on the local newspaper and tracking down information on the recent death of a college student.  Helping Chloe cover a local event is overshadowed by the death of a second student. Belinda ends up involved in figuring out the deaths and why, as she's also learning all about pigeons and evaluating her relationship with Jonah.  While this sounds like lots of threads to weave, the author does an excellent job.  I recommend this book and look forward to more from this author and series.
Exotic pet sitter Belinda needs to return home to assist a friend when his mother passes away. When the return trip home turns into asking questions for her writer friend Chloe Belinda is sure she has the answer. The investigation has an unexpected ending, shocking Belinda and all concerned.  Love and secrets are at the basis of the revenge killings. On a good note Belinda finds her heart’s desire in Jonus.
This is a great addition to the series! The characters are all wonderful and the mystery had plenty of twists and turns to keep me guessing until the end. I definitely recommend this book to everyone who loves a cozy! I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
Third in the Exotic Pet-Sitter series, Belinda Blake and the Birds of a Feather by Heather Day Gilbert is a great cozy mystery. Having read several of this author's books before I knew I could expect a good book and I wasn't disappointed. Gilbert is a skilled storyteller and she has crafted a story that moves quickly with several unpredictable twists (I never saw the identity of the murderer coming!)and interesting situations, drawing the reader in right from the start. The characters are great--colorful and a tad quirky, likable and realistic. I enjoyed the relationship of Belinda with her family and the tension depicted when there are two potential boyfriends for Belinda. A little humor, dead bodies piling up, pseudo-reporter interrogation missions, a sweet romance and an ending that says there is more to come with Belinda Blake...what more could a reader who loves cozy mysteries want!
I read a complimentary copy of the book from NetGalley and was not required to write a review. The opinions are my own.
Heather Gilbert is back with the third book in her Exotic Pet-Sitter cozy mystery series and it is just as good as the first two. We find Belinda Blake back in her hometown for a visit with her parents.  Once there a close family friend dies and Naomi's son Jonas recruits her to take care of his mom's homing pigeons, until he can find someone to do the job. She is happy to comply for she secretly has a thing for Jonas. Then things start happening. One death, accidental or ?? Then another murder. Then another. They all seem to be connected as they all belonged to the same book club. Belinda's friend is a reporter and enlists her to help find out are these deaths related? If you like unforgettable characters and cozy mysteries with lots of twists and turns, then I highly recommend this book. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC and I am Happy to submit this review.
Belinda Blake is an exotic pet sitter. This is a wonderful interesting book, lots of twists and turns and complex and interesting characters. She is taking care of homing pigeons and doesn't expect to be involved in another mystery death. Another whirlwind fun story! I loved it!
I do love me some Belinda Blake! Intrepid, inquisitive, discerning. Bold and sometimes foolhardy.
Ms. Gilbert maintains the pace with this third in her Exotic Pets Sitter series. And I gotta say, she threw a giant—and unsettling—curve ball in this one!! Not only did I not see it coming, I didn’t like it one bit!
With her knack for stirring things up, feathers fly as Belinda pecks around asking questions. One death is a tragedy, two is suspicious. But a third is no coincidence.
Between her pigeon care duties and quasi-assistant reporter snooping, Belinda has taken a devastated and hurting teen under her wing, AND she’s weighing her heart in a balance of love.
Ms. Gilbert so deftly weaves this story, subtle details turning to pivotal plot points. Belinda is so real, so down to earth, so flawed and human. And so downright loveable!

ROBIN’S FEATHERS
FOUR FEATHERS

I received a complimentary copy of this book, but was under no obligation to read the book or to post a review. I offer my review of my own free will. The opinions expressed in my review are my honest thoughts and reaction to this book.

#Blogwords, Tuesday Reviews-Day-on-Saturday, #TRD, Book Review, Belinda Blake and Birds of a Feather, Heather Day Gilbert
Belinda Blake and the Birds of a Feather
Exotic Pet-Sitter, Book #3
Heather Day Gilbert
5 Stars

Synopsis:

When exotic pet–sitter Belinda Blake starts pecking at the details of a suspicious accident in her sleepy hometown, she inadvertently digs up a murder case that won’t be solved without ruffling a few feathers . . .

The moment Belinda arrives in Larches Corner, her Upstate New York hometown, she’s immediately recruited to care for a deceased friend’s flock of homing pigeons. But Belinda’s plans for a swift visit scatter after a local college student is mowed down in a malicious hit-and-run that has the whole town reeling.

At first, the gruesome demise of Jackson Hait appears to be a random tragedy. But Belinda quickly uncovers connections to a tight-knit group of friends and a similar death three years earlier . . . one that wasn't as accidental as it seemed. Now, Belinda must pluck the truth from a tangled nest of lies before a cruel killer takes wing.  (Goodreads)

Review:

The writing style flows smoothly and the book is an easy read.  The author is very talented in her descriptive writing and those descriptions pulled me into the story from the very beginning and took me along a thrilling adventure.

The characters are well rounded and well developed.  I really like the relationship between Belinda and her family, you can tell how much they love each other and how well they get along.  I love Belinda’s occupation, that would be such a wild and exciting job to have.

The mystery was well plotted and moved along at a steady pace.  I liked the fact that the past and the present were involved in the mystery.  There were enough clues to sift through and suspects to consider and it was not easily solved.  I was very surprised with the culprit, I did not expect that.

I would recommend this book, and series, to anyone who enjoys a well crafted cozy mystery.  I really like this series and I am already looking forward to the next book.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, Kensington Books, and NetGalley, which I greatly appreciate.
Belinda Blake and the Birds of a Feather by Heather Day Gilbert is the 3rd book in the Exotic Pet-sitter mystery series. I really liked the first two books in the series, Snake in the Grass, and Wolf in Sheep's Clothing and this book is equally as good.  Belinda Blake lives in a carriage house in Greenwich, Connecticut, but she returns home to Larches Corner in upstate New York after a family friend dies.  Belinda agrees to take care for the women's homing pigeons, until a new home can be found for them.  Belinda plans to return to Greenwich, until a college student is killed in a hit and run, and she wants the truth.  I enjoyed this fun book, with it's crazy laugh-out-loud moments, but it is also a wonderful mystery.  I can not wait for Belinda's next adventure. I highly recommend this book, if you enjoy unique cozy mysteries.
This is the 3rd book in this entertaining series of a exotic pet sitter who  not only has a unusual job but she is savvy and talented at solving murders !  I have read and enjoyed the first two in the series and highly recommend this series. It is most fun to read from the beginning however this book can be read as a stand alone. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley. My review is my own opinion.

Belinda pet sits for exotic animals  and in  the first two books she took care of a giant snake and the second a preserve of wolfs.  Its interesting and fun to read about a protagonist that has a unique job. She also reviews video games for a living.  I enjoy reading about her pet sitting and its a fun part of this series .

In this next in series Belinda has returned to her parents farm to attend a funeral of the son of a family friend.  Soon she is drawn in a mystery and then a suspicious death occurs that she decides to investigate. I loved this sleuth has the author created so many twist and turns in her investigation that I did not guess the ending. A very enjoyable read ! I highly recommend this series.
This is a charming and delightful series. I love animals of all sorts and Belinda Blake has encounters with some doozies. This murder mystery kept me guessing until the culprit was revealed. Some exciting times. It sounds as if there will be new and quite different adventures ahead for Belinda. Since her parents are involved with animals, I am sure they will continue to provide critter antics no matter what Belinda's career choice. I do look forward to reading the next one.