Cover Image: Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey

Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey

I adored Abigail Wilson’s Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey. I highly recommend it for readers who enjoy a clean historical.
I must admit that until just a little over a year ago, Regency romance novels were not ones that I typically reached for. That all changed however when I stumbled upon Abigail Wilson's first novel, In the Shadow of Croft Towers. I was drawn in by the description and decided to give it a shot. Immediately I was drawn into this world that the author had created. I have since been much more open minded to the genre and discovered many other great titles I have enjoyed... still, when it comes to Regency romances, none have been able to grab me quite like those by Abigail Wilson. Having read her previous two novels, I could not wait to get my hands on her third!

Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey is not technically part of any series, as far as I can gather, however those who have read the author's previous works will certainly recognize some familiar names. The most noticeable of course being the leading lady herself,  Miss Elizabeth Cantrell, who was first introduced in In The Shadow of Croft Towers. You certainly won't be missing anything if you haven't read them, but if you're anything like me, you'll find yourself wanting to read more anyway so I might suggest you read it first!

Having so enjoyed her previous works, I had high hopes and expectations for this one... and I am happy to say that it did not disappoint. Once again I was drawn into this fantastic world of secrets and intrigue. Let's be honest, there is no shortage of secrets at Middlecrest Abbey, and when a murder occurs on the grounds, the question is: whose secrets led to it? I love how beautifully this story is told, with those secrets revealed ever so slowly throughout leaving us guessing through to the very end. Suspicion is thrown in many places, keeping us right at the edge of our seats wondering how it will all play out in the end. I was certainly not disappointed with how it all ended up! Of course, the romance made it all the better as well. It was a bit of a slow burn perhaps, as far as romances go, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing these characters I came to enjoy get a second chance of love!

Overall, this was a great read that I am sure fans of Regency romance are going to want to check out. I also encourage anyone who loves a good mystery, but perhaps doesn't typically go for this genre to give it a try. Like me, you might just find yourself to be a new fan!

**I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley for consideration. All thoughts are 100% my own.
I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am new to reading anything by Abigail Wilson, but let me tell you.. I will read anything by her now. This book was LOVELY! I loved everything about it. The historical aspect of it was beautifully written and felt very real. The plot was wonderfully thought out and the characters had such passion and depth. I truly loved this book and I cannot wait to get my hands on Wilson's other books.

Thank you kindly to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for this review copy.
Abigail Wilson masterfully weaves a thrilling Gothic mystery with a regency romance and the result will keep you on the edge of your seat from first page to last.  The suspenseful plot is well paced as Wilson expertly drops bread crumbs but leaves the reader to pick up the ones that lead to the right trail.  The convenient marriage romance between Adrian and Elizabeth is very sweet but is challenged by the intrigue that surrounds them and their pasts that they cannot escape.

This was the first book I have read by this author but it certainly will not be the last.  A solid 5 stars!

I received an advance copy from the publisher through Netgalley but am leaving an honest review of my own opinions.
Who knows how certain circumstances will throw different people together and when ?
This book has a great plot with awesome characters that are thrown together to try and figure out who dune it. I loved playing the guessing games!
I enjoyed this read because it passed the time since I'm stuck in the house now.
This is the second time I've read this author's work and she really had me intigued from the beginning.  She knows just how to make it realistic and believable enough to pull her readers in until the end.
What I really liked about it was that it was told from first person. It makes it easier to connect with Elizabeth.  Not too many stories are written like that.
I can't wait to see what she writes next!
Highly recommended
My thanks to Netgalley for a complimentary copy of this book.
I was NOT required to write a positive review and all opinions are mine.
Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey
by Abigail Wilson
Well, this book had me staying up past my bedtime. Both alluring and mysterious Lord Torrington and Elizabeth’s troubles had me trying to follow the clues and solve their mysteries.
Alone, Elizabeth decides the best thing she can do for her and her son is to go into service. While traveling to their new home, her carriage is way landed by a highwayman.  Surprised to find her highwayman is none other than Lord Torrington. Confused Elizabeth agrees to play along with his charade not realizing what it will cost her. Against all odds Elizabeth finds herself softening to a man she never thought to love.
It was easy to get absorbed into this enthralling book. The story was well written and balanced in romance and mystery.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
This book was completely engrossing for me.  I couldn't put it down. Wonderful characters, including a swoon worthy hero, a great plot (which I never figured out the culprit), and it just totally captivated me.  Loved every minute.

*I received a copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers through Net Galley.  The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Following a road accident Elizabeth Cantrell and her 11 month old son Isaach become parts of a cover up operation and suddenly she find herself married to undercover secret agent and British spy Baron Adrian Thorrington. Murder within the family put them all at risk and Elizabeth and Adrian are in the middle of a situation dangerous to both individuals and The British Crown.

In Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey by Abigail Wilson the plot is centered around a missing document important to The Crown reported to change hands at Adrian’s daughter Juliana’s wedding at Middlecrest Abbey. The groom ends up dead, the wedding cancelled and there seems to be a murderer at large in the house. Elizabeth decides to do some secret investigating of her own. As she is getting closer to the truth, the danger increases both to her and her son Isaach.

Main character and narrator Elizabeth Cantrell seems unrelenting in search for the truth of the mystery. I admire her determination to keep investigating in spite of danger. She is very reluctant to trust Adrian, which I understand given her history with his brother. She is my favorite character of this story.

Adrian Thorrington, British agent and spy, seems a kind and considerate man. He is using all his skills and connections to keep them out of danger. The relationship with Elizabeth gets off to a rather funny start, as he considers himself “forced” to marry her because they have been in a carriage together unchaparoned.

Mrs Harris we get to know as the unfriendly and gossipy mother of the groom. After her son gets murdered, she seems to change her ways and it’s nice to see she gets more open to the care of others. I felt more sympathy for her as the story progressed.

I felt the writing of this story flowed well. The descriptions of the characters were very well written and I found I enjoyed the dialogues. The dialogues between Elizabeth and Adrian conveying the development of their somewhat spontaneous relationship I found particularly interesting.

The setting of the plot in the English countryside was familiar to me, but the spy element thrown into the mix made for a new and interesting twist. I wish the plot would have moved a bit quicker in the beginning, but as the story progressed and intensified I felt more invested in both the characters and the story. I enjoyed the lifestyle and environmental descriptions, which I found worked well. Some of the gossipy wedding guests I also felt to be believable characters who contributed well to the plot.

I enjoyed how Elizabeth and Adrian deciphered a coded message, which added to the thrill of the story. They were thrown together by circumstances, but the romance element was still a distinct part of the story. I found it my favorite part. I was intrigued by how the relationship between Elizabeth and Adrian developed, starting off with deep suspicion particularly on Elizabeth’s part. As she got to know Adrian more, I’m I was pleased she came around and acknowledged all his good qualities.

Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey is the first work I have read by Abigail Wilson. I found the story about the secret spy operation in which a man got murdered a very interesting as well as entertaining read.

For similar reads your might want to check out the works of Michelle Griep or Mimi Matthews.
Fans of Abigail Wilson will enjoy this work, as will readers of historical romance fiction.

Thank you to publisher Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for this eARC, which gave me the opportunity to share my honest review. All opinions are completely my own.
I just reviewed Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey by Abigail Wilson. #MasqueradeatMiddlecrestAbbey #NetGalley

I must admit that I'm not the First-Person-Narrative fans, so when I received the free copy, it was not as expected. Tried to put this off, but here I am finished with the book.

Curious on the stars I gave? YES. It turns out to be a good book, a new author to love and I can't put it down. Honest. It was difficult to read on my phone, but nothing can make me stay away from the book.

Miss Elizabeth Cantrell was going to her new job as a housekeeper in Dover when stopped by a highwayman. A wrong highwayman who robbed the wrong carriage. Who proposed an absurd thing as convenient marriage to an unwed mom. And Elizabeth agreed.

Then her life changed as the new wife of Lord Torrington, with two teens daughters and mother in law in tow. Soon after, she discovered a murder and twisted in its plot in an adventurous and romantic tale.
Good book to read if you like historical romance with a twist. Murder mystery twisted into the plot makes this book that much more intrigued for me. Recommended for its plot and storyline that develops quickly and does not drag.
This is the first novel I’ve read by this author and it won’t be the last.
The opening gripped my attention until I solved the murder at the end. I admit, I didn’t have it figured out until about 3/4s of the way through, but perhaps it was just my “author-mind” working through the list of suspects and secondary characters.
The characters were likeable and intriguing, though at moments Elizabeth Cantrell’s reasons for withholding information from Adrian Torrington is thin at best. However, being a mother myself and knowing what extents one goes to in protecting their children, I really couldn’t fault her for holding back at times. A large cast of secondary characters provides a variety of suspects who each have their own secrets to guard.
The story is thick with intrigue, turns and exposed the infancy of modern crime solving techniques we have today.  Adventure, spies, murder, and a marriage of convenience make this regency romance a must-read for 2020.
I received an ecopy from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Elizabeth Cantrell is on her way to begin a new life with her infant son when a highway robbery and the resulting carriage crash upend her carefully laid plans. Lord Torrington, a spy for the crown, is sent to rob the carriage and intercept a letter that could turn the tide of the war with France. No letter is found, but when Torrington is discovered alone with the unconscious Miss Cantrell, a hasty marriage seems the only way to preserve his cover and her reputation.

Murder, kidnapping, secret codes, and spies fill the pages of Abigail Wilson’s latest novel. Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey is an absorbing step back in time to the intrigues and drawing room machinations of Regency England. Readers will quickly find that there’s more to Lord Torrington than his rakish reputation would suggest, and Elizabeth is more than equal to mystery that threatens not only her own life but that of her son.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
We are all stuck inside right now with nowhere to go. So why not venture somewhere rad while being stuck? If yes do it with this book. Do it now.
Lord Adrian Torrington is a wealthy land owner by day and a spy by night. Out on a mission, he believes he's robbed the wrong carriage and sent it crashing down the ravine. Inside he finds Elizabeth and her infant son. When he hears another coach approaching, he must protect his identity as a spy and proposes marriage to Elizabeth. Elizabeth is trying to support her young son after being abandoned by the child's father. When Adrian proposes a marriage of convenience, she sees no better alternative and agrees. His only stipulation is that she must pretend to be madly in love with him. Can she fool everyone by pretending or will she truly fall for the handsome lord.

This was the first book I've read by Ms. Wilson and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The murder mystery was top notch and I didn't see the final piece of the puzzle coming together until it was actually revealed. The author was masterful in how she teased out details of both Elizabeth's past as well as Adrian's first marriage. His daughters, Julianna and Phoebe added much to the story.
•°o•:*:•.Suspicion, Intrigue & Romance.•:*:• o°•
This is my first time reading Abigail Wilson’s writing and I am already a huge fan! Her writing captivates and I suspected EVERYONE as this mystery unfolded. The story moved along at a delightful pace and I could not wait to turn each (electronic) page (smile) set in 1815 Southeastern England.  Lord Torrington is not what he seems to the young, unwed Elizabeth. Elizabeth is not who he set out to rob.
 “Think of our marriage as a rather pleasant masquerade.” “My name is Adrian, by the way. You’d best start calling me that.” He raised his chin. “Since we are madly in love and to be married tomorrow.”
“Mrs. Baxter, some tea if you would.” The door cracked open and Mrs. Baxter shuffled in with a silver platter filled with tea and cakes.
“Some things in life are not chiseled into perfect lines and boxes, Elizabeth. They are far come complex, messier, glorious versions of the original. You have to look hard to see what’s hidden.”

I highly recommend this book for those who enjoy a combined mystery / romance, clean read in a historical setting. 5 stars

I received an eCopy from the publisher through NetGalley for my honest review with no further compensation or expectation.
This is the first book I have read by this author and all I can say is WOW! I must seek out more of her work.  The mixture of romance and mystery is perfect.and I loved the characters!
Many thanks to Thomas Nelson Fiction and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Wow.....I loved everything about this book.  This is an excellent sweet and clean Regency mystery/romance.  With everything that’s going on in our country right now because of the virus, it was great to become absorbed in a book that grabbed my imagination and attention.  Intriguing and suspenseful, the plot was paced perfectly with unexpected twists coming at just the right times during the story. The descriptions of Middlecrest made it easy to visualize the manor and the grounds.  The details and dialogue fit the time period very well.

The reader views this story from the viewpoint of Elizabeth.  Her character sets the tone for this book.  She’s strong, compassionate, courageous, and somewhat fearless when it comes to protecting those she loves.  She’s a woman who has made and acknowledged her mistakes and is desperately trying to provide the best life possible for her young son, Isaac.  Adrian (Lord Torrington) has also made his mistakes, but is now an honorable man determined to protect his family and serve his country.  Elizabeth and Adrian make quite a team as they seek to not only protect their family from a murderer and also do their best to serve England.  I’m hoping there’s at lease one more book with these characters.  I’ll be looking for more books by Abigail Wilson.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
I’ve been on an Abigail Wilson binge and have loved every minute of it.

This book is about Elizabeth, she was one of the minor characters in “In The Shadow of Croft Towers.” In that book she was a bit prickly but she has matured and grown a lot in this book. I really liked her and was rooting for her.

Elizabeth is a single mom who’s carriage gets attacked by a highwayman. Just so happens that she recognizes the highwayman as none other than Lord Torrington who also happens to be the elder brother of her son’s father.
Through some circumstances, they wind up married and head to his home, Middlecrest Abbey, where one of his daughters is getting married in a few days.

Like the two previous books, there are spies, a murder and lots of secrets and mysteries, however, nothing gruesome or creepy. This author has a way of making these stories feel like a Regency mystery as opposed to a murder mystery, which I appreciate.

I think the other thing that I realized that I really like about this author’s books, is that even though there are lots of secrets, the hero and heroine work together, talk and are honest with each other...they might hold some things back, but I just enjoy the fact that in this instance, Elizabeth and Lord Torrington, shared their thoughts and communicated with each other frequently. You get to see their growing attraction, respect and love bloom.

All in all, another great story!

This book was fantastic! I loved every minute of this mysterious regency romance! Not only was the plot intriguing, but the characters were so well developed and everything worked together perfectly to create a page turning story! Abigail Wilson has become one of my auto buy authors as she continues to provide outstanding novels each  and every time! I was totally captivated by the mystery elements in this story and as eager as Elizabeth and Adrian to solve it! The romance in this story was perfectly balanced with the mystery. It was organically woven into this story so that you were equally satisfied with both no matter which element was being addressed in a particular chapter. Adrian is perfectly flawed and I loved him! He was an absolute perfect hero with charm, humor, and a fierce protectiveness that made him all the more endearing! Elizabeth was intelligent and witty although she had a more reserved nature, she was always very blunt with Adrian and seemed to be most herself when he was around. Their personalities just clicked wh they were together and it was absolutely enjoyable! The conclusion of this book was action packed, full of danger, and definitely left me satisfied! This book is going on my top reads of the year list! Absolutely loved it!
A regency novel w/ suspense and romance.  Pour yourself a hot cup of tea and curl up in your favourite reading spot and give yourself the gift of a wonderful story.  Five stars!