Cover Image: A New Dictionary of Fairies

A New Dictionary of Fairies

Those of you who have been with me since the start of my blog will know that it was intended to include posts about my attempts at writing a novel. You will no doubt have noticed that these posts have fallen completely by the wayside as my writing efforts stalled. I had an idea for a fantasy novel based in British folklore, but after an enthusiastic start, I lost my mojo a bit. Sitting down and reading this book, however, has inspired me once more though and I now have ideas for not one but four books set around each of the Celtic nations, and I am excited about writing again. I owe Morgan Daimler a debt of gratitude for this.

A New Dictionary of Fairies is exactly what you would expect – an A-Z of all things fairy. It is an easy book to dip in and out of, and feels incredibly thorough. As I was reading it, I found myself making notes about folkloric accounts and poems that I wanted to look up and read in their entirety as my creative juice really started to flow. I have a LOT of books on folklore and fairies, but this is by far the most accessible that I have read so far.

I know this is a book that I will refer back to time and again as I write, and I already have more of Morgan’s books lined up ready to read – more on those coming soon!
A thorough and extensive encyclopedia of fairies and their legends, this will be of interest to academics, writers, Pagan practitioners and general interest readers. It was packed full of detail and extremely comprehensive. I could have spent hours absorbed in the different entries. A fascinating and inspiring book.
An excellent reference, and a lot of fun as well!  Daimler visits worlds and characters that a lot of authors overlook, and the result is a title that can keep you browsing for hours at a time.
This is a lovely little reference book for anyone who is interested in or who loves fairies and anything mythical.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC in return for an honest and unbiased opinion.
A New Dictionary of Fairies
A 21st Century Exploration of Celtic and Related Western European Fairies
by Morgan Daimler

The title says it all.  This is A New Dictionary of Fairies, a list of names given to various fairies and an exploration of the way they have been described in various cultures. It is a useful reference work.  It would be a great addition to any book collection. Keep it on the coffee table, or night stand.  Dip into it when you have a few minutes to spare.
This book is exactly what it says a dictionary. Anyone interested in the fae or folklore should have this on their shelves as a reference book. It was very well researched and written. I bought a hardcopy for my shelves.
An excellent resource on all things fae and fairy. Bought a hard copy to use as a reference.

Many thanks to the publisher, the author, and NetGalley for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
This is a really good reference book and a comprehensive guide for all things related to fae and fairy folk.

As the title suggests, this isn't a book so much as a dictionary, so things are listed alphabetically in an index, as a dictionary would be. Some of the entries are a really short few sentences, and some entries stretch on for multiple pages. Because it's listed in a dictionary format, it is extremely easy to navigate if you're looking for something specific to reference.

I was pleasantly surprised by the wide variety of items that are included in this book. It ranges from mythology/lore from all sorts of areas (such as Celtic, Norse, and Christianity), there's poets and poems and ballads, there references to actual, real historical accounts/people, and things like how the various fae folk look in appearance, or their demeanor.

Because there's such a wide canvas here, this is a good reference guide not just for magick practitioners and those interested in the fae, but authors and writers as well. There's also a lot of footnotes and research, so you can do further searching with relative ease.

The actual writing itself is a bit choppy and could use a little editing, but it was solid enough that I didn't notice too much.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, thank you!
A definite must read for any fans of fairies, folklore etc. It is very well researched and written and a very enjoyable read.
My thanks to John Hunt Publishing/Moon Books for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘A New Dictionary of Fairies’ by Morgan Daimler in exchange for an honest review.

Its subtitle ‘A 21st Century Exploration of Celtic and Related Western European Fairies’ is a fair summary of its contents. I had been impressed by an earlier book by Morgan Daimler on Faerie Queens that I read and reviewed and I am aware that she has written a number of works on Faerie.

In contrast to her other books this is a reference work and intended as a follow up to folklorist Katherine Briggs’ 1976 work: ‘A Dictionary of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, and Other Supernatural Creatures’. Indeed, in her Introduction, Daimler states that she was inspired to create this new dictionary because Briggs’ Dictionary was not only out of print but that in the last 40 years the field of folklore and faerie lore has moved on. “There have been new ideas advanced and new material covered, and in some cases uncovered, yet there is no work that equals Briggs in its scope and depth on the subject.”

Certainly I agree with her that it is time to update Briggs. She also highlights the important point that an increased popularity and inclusion in fiction has led to such lore becoming “divorced from both the root cultures and actual belief to create the twee fairies that populate many current media sources, and yet the genuine belief in fairies and the older folk beliefs still remain, found as they have always been in the lives of people and in stories preserved by folklorists–historic and modern.”

Overall, I found this a well researched and very informative resource. I loved the inclusion of poetry and folk ballads. I would have loved illustrations though including these likely would have been prohibitive in terms of cost. However, one of the benefits of the internet is that it is easy to search for images and artwork.

I enjoyed reading this very much and discovered material that I hadn’t previously been aware of. I found the main text scholarly yet accessible. I was very impressed by the extensive bibliography included.

As this is a reference book, it is perfect to dip into rather than necessarily read from cover to cover. I expect that I will buy my own hard copy in due course to add to my existing collection on folklore and Faerie.
An interesting and comprehensive read that made me learn of lot of new things about fairies.
I liked how well researched and well written this book is.
A useful read, recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
A dictionary of fairies. A full comprehensive look at the world of fairies.If you love the idea of fairies if your curious about them this book full of knowledge is for you. Really loved reading this book.#netgalley#johnhuntpublishing
I am in love with this book. Morgan has a wonderful style that shows even in a dictionary, making reading enjoyable, entertaining and useful. Normally I would have passed this title aside, but knowing who wrote it, I knew I would find nothing less than perfection and professionalism.
It should be pretty obvious that I like fairytales and folklore. So when I heard about this book on Netgalley, I was immediately intrigued. It’s supposed to be a comprehensive resource on all things about the Good People and it definitely delivers.

Organised alphabetically (duh!), A New Dictionary of Fairies covers subjects like Elf-Shot and Possession by Fairies, people like Bessie Dunlop and Beady Early, and ballads like Tam Lin and Lady Isobel and the Elf Knight. It’s a fantastic resource that looks at the history and beliefs regarding fairies.

I was initially a bit worried that the subject matter was going to be too narrow, because I was pretty interested in fairies in Asia and how they compare, but it turns out that the book wasn’t narrow enough for me. While the fairies have a lot of similarities, the dictionary organisation of the book meant that it was pretty difficult to distinguish between fairies of different countries. I have a pretty good understanding of the fairies in Western Europe/Celtic cultures now, but I don’t think I can explain much about the differences within regions.

Another ‘drawback’, if you can call it that, of the dictionary format is that it’s harder to get an overview of the study of fairies because the information comes in small topics. I suppose it would be hard to structure a general overview because there’s so much to cover, but I would have really enjoyed the book that way as well. But I did learn a lot from the book as it is so this is really more of a wish than a complaint.

I was also really intrigued by the mentions of Christianity in the book and how they related to fairies. The discussions of how fairies seem to treat the religion was fascinating and I would love to read more about the history of fairies and Christianity. Surely someone has written about it! The book mentions a minister named Robert Kirk who has apparently written about fairies – I’ll have to check out his writings.

On the same note, the discussion of whether fairies have souls/can go to heaven reminds me a little of the controversy surrounding ghosts (from A Cultural History of Ghosts). In the book, the author mentions that the arguments for and against the existence to ghosts depended on the denomination of Christianity – I wonder if it’s the same here.

Overall, this was a fascinating and evidently well-researched book on the subject of fairies in Western Europe (in particular, Celtic culture). If you are interested in the subject, I’d recommend that you check it out.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.
*Thank you to NetGalley and John Hunt Publishing for the ARC.***

I'm a sucker for anything involving mythology, mystical beings, or supernatural stuff and this "dictionary" was amazing! I was familiar with some of the fairies mentioned from reading some Irish/Celtic folklore books but almost 3/4 of this book was completely new to me.  Every new entry had me diving down the rabbit hole even farther to learn more. This is one of the best resources on this subject that I've ever come across!  #NetGalley #ANewDictionaryofFairies
A very full dictionary of Fairies.  Very dictionary-y!  No pictures or fluff or pretty about this book, just a lot of names and information.
A New Dictionary of Fairies is a very comprehensive book detailing everything you could ever want to know about fairies from A-Z. No matter how much you already know about fairies, you are sure to learn something new. My favourite was the poetry as it wasn't just informational, but inspirational and thought provoking as well. Very interesting! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is a good resource for Celtic and Irish mythology and folklore. It starts with a foreword that has grammatical issues that make it a little confusing to read, but that's by another author. The gist was that Daimler has the qualifications and has done the research.

As I got into the main part of the book, I found this easy to believe. It's laid out in dictionary form, but rather than only defining names of fairy creatures, it gives a brief synopsis of various legends and is really a very thorough record of fairy lore from this culture (though I don't equate aliens with fairies).

Keeping in mind the amount of research a tome like this takes, it would be great if this sort of information from other cultures was covered in other books by experts in those cultures' fairy lore, because of course the British Isles don't have exclusivity on the little people! It's an excellent reference book for the material it covers.
This New Dictionary of  Fairies is a great book for those who work with  Fairies or are just interested in learning more of them. Fairy witchcraft is something many of my friends practice. I find fairies fascinating for themselves. The information contained in this book is well written, researched and in-depth. This is mostly about the Celtic cultures but does include others as well. I learned many new things about them that I never knew. Love this book. It will be read many times. I received this book from Net Galley and John Hunt Publishing for a honest review.
A New Dictionary will not disappoint. A brilliant read full of information for both those that live for everything fairy or those that are just dipping their little toe into this magical and mystical world. Thanks so much to the publisher and netgalley for the arc.