Cover Image: Grow Great Vegetables in North Carolina

Grow Great Vegetables in North Carolina

Grow Great Vegetables in North Carolina is a regionally tailored home gardening guide for producing vegetables for taste and nutrition and to increase self-reliance and food security. This is one of a series of regionally specific guides released by Timber press. Written by Ira Wallace, it's 252 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

This guide is arranged by seasons with a chapter for each month. The introductory chapter (~13% of the page content) covers garden planning, climates and subzones in North Carolina, as well as a very general gardening introduction.

The monthly sections include tasks for each month, potential problems and troubleshooting, planning and placement of the garden plot, harvesting and more.

The third section of the book is a regional guide to choosing vegetables and varieties which will thrive in your area.

There's a resource list (slanted to readers in the southeast region), a bibliography and further reading list, USDA based hardiness zonal map, and an index. The photography is crisp, clear, and abundant. This is a well crafted book which will provide gardeners with hours of blissful dreaming as well as serving as a valuable troubleshooting guide.

Five stars. Very well done.

Lot's of great ideas and information contained in this book.  Looking forward to trying a few ideas out myself, as I live in North Carolina.  The book would be of interest to others (not just us North Carolinians) with gardening suggestions, placement of crops, etc. I'll be adding a few raised beds to plant when warm weather rolls back around!
I received this ARC from #NetGalley just in time to use it as a reference to start my 2020 garden! We're following the helpful, concise planting calendar right now (late January) to plot out plans for germinating seedlings. I live in the piedmont, so I'm consulting that section; the book contains great info for the three different climate regions of the state--mountains, piedmont, and coastal plain.

There's also great advice on choosing crops, building various structures and landscaping layouts to enjoy garden-fresh produce year round. The photography is gorgeous and the illustrations/diagrams/charts are informative and helpful. I'll be recommending this book to all my NC gardening pals!
The only great thing about there being about 15 feet of snow outside (and being a super- speed reader) is you can easily read and review a tonne of short books a day...and this was an excellent book to have spent a while with (or many more "whiles" on your side). There was also the fact that I am reviewing books from the same publisher that cover six states in total: North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas.

Get the Inside Dirt, North Carolina!

This ultimate local guide to growing vegetables and other edibles provides you with insider advice on climate zones, average frost dates, and growing season details across North Carolina. Information includes details on the sun, soil, fertilizer, mulch, water, and the best varieties for your region. A garden planning section helps with design and crop rotation, and monthly lists explain what to do from January through December. In-depth profiles of nearly 50 edibles round out the information and help ensure a can’t-miss harvest.

The setup and topics covered were basically the same in all six books with the information detailing the particular state so I was able to skim through them in no time flat.  I have already reviewed the books on Massachusetts, Pennsylvania New York and New Jersey and adored them. (is Ira an acronym for Is Really Amazing?)

First off, the photos are INCREDIBLE ... I wanted to buy the books and cut it apart to frame and hang on my walls. And for gardeners like me with a black thumb, the way the book was set up and written made me think that I can grow something other than the succulent I forgot to water for 9 months (it lived) and the white spruce I have in a pot.

This is a great book for a beginning gardener and for people who are moving into the said state (or commonwealth) and deciding what to try and grow. Given the number of books that the author has written I am guessing that he is a master gardener and an expert on anything plants

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "πŸ™-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it πŸ…πŸ₯•πŸ₯”πŸ„πŸ†