Cover Image: Grow Great Vegetables in Texas

Grow Great Vegetables in Texas

Grow Great Vegetables in Texas is a regionally tailored home gardening guide for producing vegetables for taste and nutrition and to increase self-reliance and food security. This is one of a series of regionally specific guides released by Timber press. Written by Trisha Shirey, it's 244 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

This guide is arranged by seasons with a chapter for each month. The introductory chapter (~13% of the page content) covers garden planning, climates and subzones in Texas, as well as a very general gardening introduction.

The monthly sections include tasks for each month, potential problems and troubleshooting, planning and placement of the garden plot, harvesting and more.

The third section of the book is a regional guide to choosing vegetables and varieties which will thrive in your area.

There's a resource list (slanted to readers in the southwest region), a bibliography and further reading list, USDA based hardiness zonal map, and an index.  The photography is crisp, clear, and abundant.  This is a well crafted book which will provide gardeners with hours of blissful dreaming as well as serving as a valuable troubleshooting guide.

Five stars. Very well done.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes
Grow Great Vegetables in Texas by Trisha Shirey is a year-round gardening book for the people of Texas.  Shirey is a native Texan who developed her love of gardening while assisting in her family's large vegetable garden. For over thirty years, she has managed the renowned lakeside gardens of Lake Austin Spa Resort in Austin, TX. Herbs, vegetables, fruit trees, edible flowers, and native plants fill the 19-acre site and inspire the resort's guests to start their own gardens and to manage them organically.

Shirey provides a month by month guide to gardening for each of Texas's five zones.  There is more to gardening than buying seeds and seedlings in spring and planting them.  There are plenty of do-it-yourself tips for testing your soil, making trellises, composting, and making cold frames.  The reader is also given guides on what to plant and when for each zone in the state.  There is also information on where to plant certain plants to meet their sunlight needs and avoid overexposure to the Texas heat.

One of the most important sections of this book, for me, is on pest control.  Even in the suburbs of Dallas where I live there are plenty of pests.  Aphids will find your fruit trees.  Squirrels will eat all developing fruit.  Rabbits will get the greens. A small patch of non-native potatoes will bring an army of grubs.  Perhaps the most troublesome are the raccoons who will eat anything.  Anything but Habernaro peppers that is.  It seems once your garden is discovered it becomes a landmark in the animal and insect community. Shirey does offer some ideas to control these pests with DIY solutions or a dog, less welcoming than mine.

Although my gardening time is limited nowadays, I am going to try the methods discussed in this book and get started with the January plan.  Grow Great Vegetables in Texas provides the gardener with plenty of illustrations, graphs, and photos along with a wealth of written information.  This is an excellent place for the beginning gardener to start and the experienced gardener to brush up.  Very well done.

The only great thing about there being about 15 feet of snow outside (and being a super- speed reader) is you can easily read and review a tonne of short books a day...and this was an excellent book to have spent a while with (or many more "whiles" on your side). There was also the fact that I am reviewing books from the same publisher that cover six states in total: North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas.

The setup and topics covered were basically the same in all six books with the information detailing the particular state so I was able to skim through them in no time flat.  I have already reviewed the books on Massachusetts, Pennsylvania New York and New Jersey and adored them. (is Ira an acronym for Is Really Amazing?)

Get the Inside Dirt, Texas!

This ultimate local guide to growing vegetables and other edibles provides you with insider advice on climate zones, average frost dates, and growing season details across Texas - and it's a big state with a lot of regions!. Information includes details on the sun, soil, fertilizer, mulch, water, and the best varieties for your region. A garden planning section helps with design and crop rotation, and monthly lists explain what to do from January through December. In-depth profiles of nearly 50 edibles round out the information and help ensure a can’t-miss harvest.

This is a great book for a beginning gardener and for people who are moving into the said state (or commonwealth) and deciding what to try and grow. Given the number of books that the author has written I am guessing that he is a master gardener and an expert on anything plants

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍅🥕🥔🍄🍆