Astrid Lindgren

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Feb 2020

'Astrid Lindgren' by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara with illustrations by Linzie Hunter is a book for young readers about the famous author.

Astrid Lindgren grew up on a farm and had such a happy childhood that she didn't want to grow up.  She discovered books, had children and one night told her daughter a story about a character that her daughter named: Pippi Longstocking.

This is such a great series, and I gladly review every one I can get my hands on.  This one has bright, happy illustrations.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
Astrid Lindgren by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara explores the life of this Sweden author. At a young age, Astrid became enraptured by the magic inherent in books. From a simple square of bound paper with little markings covering them, came faeries, Giants, lands to explore, exotic people to meet. Astrid was a voracious reader, and turned that live to writing, opening the door to new worlds for others to play in. One if her best known works introduced the world to Pippi Longstockings. The end of the book contains a more detailed look at Lindgren's life, using language suited for much older readers. Inspirational and educational both, this entire series is great! I read this with my cubs. We love this series! Highly recommended!

***Many thanks to the Netgalley & Quarto Publishing for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
The Little People Big Dreams series is a wonderful way to introduce non-fiction and biographies to children. My son loves all of these books and enjoyed learning about Astrid Lindgren. We highly recommend any book in this series!
As someone who grew up with Astrid Lindgren's movie adaptations from my very first year on earth, then went on to read almost all her works as soon as I could read, this is a truly comforting little biography that inspired me a great deal. Like Lindgren, we should all aim to keep the child inside us alive - yes, probably also by reading children's books!
Astrid was such an interesting person. Pippi Longstocking is so well known, and it's wonderful that the story started as a way to bond with her daughter. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Wonderful creative and colourful reads for little minds, teaches both adult and child alike about great people whilst being visually stunning, inspirational for all ages groups and should be widely read
Highly recommended

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
My thanks to Quarto Publishing Group - Francis  Lincoln Children’s Books for a temporary digital edition via NetGalley of ‘Astrid Lindgren’, written by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara and illustrated by Linzie Hunter, in exchange for an honest review.

This little book is intended for children aged 4-7 and is part of its publishers acclaimed ‘Little People, BIG DREAMS’ series that introduces young readers to the lives and works of significant people including scientists, writers, political figures and the like via books and educational games.

Swedish author Astrid Lindgren is best known for her Pippi Longstocking stories. We learn here that the character was named by Astrid’s daughter, Karin, when she was ill and requested that her mother tell her a story about Pippi Longstocking.

Lindgren later created a homemade book of the stories for Karin and in 1945 it was officially published in Sweden, eventually becoming a global bestseller. Pippi Longstocking challenged stereotypes about girls. She continues to be well loved throughout the world.

I was interested to read that Astrid went on to be involved in its television adaptations. She won two Hans Christian Anderson medals in recognition of her work.

Little Astrid’s enthusiasm for books and reading reminded me of Roald Dahl’s ‘Matilda’.

The illustrations by Hunter are sweet and quirky. At the back of the book is a biographical timeline including photographs of this inspiring author’s life. On the back cover another biography for slightly older children is recommended for those wanting to learn more.

This little book is a wonderful opportunity to introduce young readers to the life and work of Astrid Lindgren and to her famous red-haired, pigtailed creation.

I somehow missed out on Pippi Longstocking growing up though later in life I became aware of her through references in other works. So having the opportunity to read this book also educated me.
Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara once again writes and illustrated a beautiful story - this time focusing on writer and dreamer, Astrid Lindgren.

Lindgren was an author I knew of, but never read myself. But who doesn’t know and love Pippi Longstocking? After reading this short & sweet peek into the childhood and early stages of her career, I want to find anything & everything she’s ever written and devour them.

While I *always* enjoy the Little People, Big Dreams books, I was particularly taken with how the author shared certain aspects of Lindgren’s life that many other children’s authors would have glossed over or ignored completely. For example, when Astrid wakes up one day with a “terrible feeling” that “life suddenly seemed so complicated,” it seemed that Vegara was trying to lightly touch on the idea that perhaps Astrid was a bit depressed. Do I know this for sure? No. However, what a great conversation starter for parents & teachers to have with their young audience as they read it together...whether that be about feeling down or the fear of growing up.

The other moment in the story that impressed me was when Vegara quite simply stated that Astrid, at age 19, became a single mom. Again, not a typical subject picture books tend to cover. However, it was handled beautifully, written as fact and then on to the next part of Lindgren’s life with zero judgment. Well Done!

As always, Ms. Vegara brings us a Solid Five Star Read. A huge Thank You to NetGalley & Quarto Publishing Group-Francis Lincoln Childrens for the digital copy to review.
It’s hard to believe this is the 43rd book in the Little People, BIG DREAMS series.

As a lifelong reader, it’s almost embarrassing to say that I’ve never read Pippi Longstockings books. But I can honestly say that I now know something about Astrid, the dreamer, storyteller, and author after reading this 32-page book.

And that’s what this series is all about. Introducing kids to the Little People who believed in themselves and had BIG DREAMS.

In this series, there is a short story followed by more detailed information. This feels extremely important to each of these books since it offers adults the opportunity to expound on the story.

In the case of Astrid Lindgren, we learn about the creator of the literary character, Pippi Longstocking. The story is concise, yet enough to inform and inspire.

And I would even hope that reading this book might lead to an interest in exploring Pippi Longstockings books.

My sincere thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing for the ability to review and give my opinion of this eARC book.

What Concerned Me
I had a little trouble with the text on one page. It’s probably just me, but it didn’t feel appropriate. The page is giving examples of Astrid being a rebel. It says she was

1. the first in town to cut her hair short,
2. she got a job at the newspaper,
3. and that she became a single mother at 19.
Facts? I’m sure.

But that page didn’t work for me.

What I Liked Best

This little series of books is a wonderful way to acquaint a child with various notable women.
I LOVE Astrid Lindgren but I didn't love this book about her.

I grew up with Lindgren's books and they are part of my best childhood memories. Her stories are always charming, entertaining, and surprising. Another thing I love about Lindgren's books are the gorgeous illustrations. I always loved listening to her stories and looking at the pictures.

That is why this book was so disappointing. It was interesting to read about A. Lindgren - even though I had read about her before - and I liked her short bio but I can't say the same about the illustrations. I didn't like the style or the colors and since this is a picture book, it is the main reason I gave it only 2 stars.

Thank you NetGalley and Quarto Publishing for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Another fun and interesting addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series! The illustrations are bright and quirky, and convey Lindgren's childlike spirit well. The text hits the highlights of her life, focusing on the Pippi Longstocking books, her most well-known stories, as well as bits about her life (she has a minor planet named after her!). At the end, there is a timeline of her life with more information, and some photos, plus a recommendation of a more advanced children's biography for those wanting to learn more.

#AstridLindgren #NetGalley
I can't say as I'd ever thought much about LIndgren. And that's a shame, because based on this book she was a pretty kooky lady. I love the way she rejected social norms. If you're looking for a hero to inspire a kid to follow their own path, this book is a good starting point.
A delightful book about a young girl, Astrid, who will create and give life to 'Pippi Longstocking'.
Easy to follow, beautiful illustrations and simple writing makes this little book a great introduction to Astrid's life.
Another great addition to the series, a geat way to introduce powerful and inspiring figures to the little ones.
Bravo!
I’ve always loved Pippi Longstocking, but never knew anything about its creator. I’m glad this book remedied that. And the illustrations are so precious!
This is a part of a larger series of picture book to introduce famous people to very young children. This is not meant to be the end all and be all. This is simply meant to let kids know that there are people out there that are cool, and they might want to know more about, in time.

In this case, it is the author of Pippi Longstockings, someone they probably haven't read yet, but might now be curious about, having heard about this author, and her amazing life.

The story tells how she never wanted to be an adult, and didn't behave as an adult when she grew up, and Pippi came out of wanting to give her daughter a book she would enjoy reading. Those are often the best kinds of reasons to write.

Another delightful life made interesting.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Unfortunately, a problem occured while downloading the book so I ended up not being able to read it. I'm terribly sorry for that.
I loved Pippi Longstocking when I was younger, it's still one of my favorite children's classics. So I was excited to learn about what the author was like as a child. The Little People Big Dreams series is such a great series to read to children. They are non fiction biographies but presented in a fun and entertaining way. I really think they could make kids fall in love with non fiction books and explore more into this sometimes unread genre.

Astrid was a born reader, once she discovered books she learned to read and  couldn't get enough books, she read everything she could get her hands on. She was also quite the rebel for that era, she cut her hair short, got a job at 19 at the newspaper and was a single mom. She got married and had a second child. Astrid still had a wonderful vivid imagination and created wonderful stories for her kids. Karin invented the Pippi Longstocking name and Astrid's creative mind made the character come to life. She wrote many tales about Pippi and her adventures and worked on teh screenplay once it became a movie. Astrid Lindgren is loved by many and I still to this day love Pippi and her wise, wild heart!
This is another great volume in a consistently fun series. I had never heard of Astrid Lindgren before reading this picture book, but what a fascinating story to tell!
As always, the art and the story are well worth the time invested in a book like this. Great volume.
DISCLAIMER : Thank you NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for providing me with an ARC of this book. I am leaving my honest review voluntarily.

Little People Big Dreams is an amazing Children's non-fiction series that you can start for your young kids. It's a beautiful book with cute illustrations and a simple story to get your kids introduced to really inspiring personalities. I really enjoyed the book and I believe this is a great starting point for non-fiction for young readers. The book is very short focusing only on the important events of Astrid Lindgren's life. Her life as a child and how she came to write stories and her first job are all well put together to bring to life her legacy in a way that's easily understood by kids. The language is simply easy to read and enjoy. We get a brief idea of who she is and how she came to be an author and one of the most loved creators for her character Pippi Longstocking and some small tidbits about her life as well.y have a variety of stories featuring amazing personalities with inspiring stories from all over the world. The wide array of books they have gives us an amazing list of books to choose from and. stories of extraordinary people with incredible journeys that will inspire and empower young minds. Her story is inspiring and empowering and is made accessible to kids with the accompaniment of games, puzzles, toys and such. The story is a reminder to all of us as to how every successful person that we see today, the role models we follow all came to be who they are with a small dream and hard work. I gave this book 5 stars and highly recommend checking it out.
I am completely in love with this series by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara. I think it is a stunning idea to educate children about different famous people and the amazing work they've done during their lives.

This one about Astrid Lindgren is especially dear to my soul because I love Astrid and her work. I think of her as decades ahead of her time, a feminist and an exceptional writer! I grew up reading about the wild and weird girl who lives on her own in a small Swedish town. I grew up imagining I was Pippi and wanted to have at least some of her adventures.