Cover Image: Buzz Books 2020: Spring/Summer

Buzz Books 2020: Spring/Summer

Buzz Books is a comprehensive guide highlighting the very best literature expected for the spring and summer 2020 market. The excerpts are well-selected and range in genre and style. We're very much looking forward to reading these books in the coming months!
Always nice to see what's coming up and what might need to go on my to br read shelf. Not much else to say about these anthologies of book samples.
Buzz Books are my first port of call when considering my reading list. Being able to go beyond a blurb and read an excerpt from authors really helps me to know if their style is right for me, and if it is worth pursuing those books for reviews. The best thing, of course, is the spotlight on debut authors; if it wasn't for the Buzz Books anthologies, I would never have heard of some of my new favorites.
This is always a must read book for me to see what is new for adults.  This time they included the young adult books.  I was disappointed with that as there were so few young adult books.  I much prefer them separate.  Regardless, I would rather read this than not.  Check out this book as I find it very helpful in discovering new books I want to read and new authors that I will include on my to-be-on-the-lookout list for more books by them.
A great preview of some of the most exciting releases of Spring / Summer 2020. Some of the books contained within this anthology were already on my radar but so many of them weren't and I am glad that I have been introduced to them as I will be keeping a keen eye out for them in the coming months.
What a great way to provide a glimpse of what is coming up the pike.
Looking forward to picking several books!
Thanks for sharing!!!!
I enjoyed the extracts from The Socialite, The Chosen Ones and Exciting Times. I will definitely be picking these books up when they are released.
What a fantastic resource! Thank you for putting this together. I have found it to be very useful when it comes to figuring out which books I want to check out and recommend next to my readers.
I liked this edition of Buzz Books. Though It was impossible to scan all the upcoming books, i was able to read through some of the samples. I will definitely be waiting for the book about fatherhood that comes out on 5/5/2020. It looked like a funny read.
Loved it! Although I only enjoy a few books. I found it to be an interesting and engaging read. A great way to get a taste of upcoming reads. I particularly liked Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore.
Always the best way to find new ARC books that I am so greateful to receive, which I share on all my book review sites.
a favorite netgalley feature! i use this to figure out what i want to read and keep these books in mind/on a list. thank you for this.
This is only the second Buzz Books that I’ve read, the first being the 2019/2020 Romance Edition published last summer.  This time around, I knew what to expect from a Buzz Books edition:  basically, a list of books to be published in the time period covered by the book, and a few hundred pages of excerpts from select books on the list.  The Spring/Summer 2020 edition was over six hundred pages long: approximately twenty pages listing the notable books to be published in the timeframe; over 570 pages of book excerpts and related material.  The book excerpts were divided into four categories: fiction, debut, nonfiction, young adult.

In the lists of books, I found two to look up in Goodreads for further details.  The first was a compilation called Pretty Bitches, which is about how language is used to undermine women.  The editor assigned each essayist one word to explore its role in the power dynamic between men and women.  This seemed like a fascinating nexus between my love of words and my ongoing search for the perfect empowering books to share with my girlfriends.  The second book was a memoir structured around five Jane Austen novels, called Austen Year, a Memoir in Five Novels.  The publisher’s blurb on Goodreads confirmed that the content matched the title.  Because each of the books seemed right up my alley, I added both to my to be read list, so that I wouldn’t forget about them.

Over 570 pages of excerpts and related material seemed like a lot to handle.

I did choose a few books from among the excerpts to add to my to be read list.  The first excerpt in the collection, Enter the Aardvark, was so light and quirky that I knew I had to read more of it.  Weighing in at just under 130 pages, it was hard to resist interrupting the marathon Buzz Books tome in order to finish Enter the Aardvark before it got cold.  Especially since the following excerpt was much heavier in tone, topic, and theme.  A later excerpt for The Imperfects also seemed to be my type of book - quirky family intermixed with East European history - but I opted to request that later because I already had four NetGalleys approved to read.  Besides, that one isn’t being published until May, so I still have time for it.  I had been really looking forward to reading the excerpt for Veronica Roth’s first adult novel, but it read a lot like young adult to me.  I probably won’t be pre-ordering it, or even putting it on hold at the library after it comes out in early May.

In the Debut section, I got sucked in by the breezy style of Exciting Times, and light reads aren’t normally my thing.  There was just something about the set-up in the excerpt that enticed me.  Aside from the final excerpt in the Debut section, Sharks in the Time of Saviors, I left that section feeling like the majority of it was somewhat interchangeable.  The excerpts were either cotton candy light or super dark and weighty.  Sharks in the Time of Saviors was funny, grounded, and culturally unique.  I have a feeling that it will be an “It” book for someone this year once it hits the shelves.

The Nonfiction section encompassed a wide variety of styles and subjects.  A comedian writing about his wife’s first pregnancy.  A transgender woman recounting her life through the seven significant dogs that accompanied her on her journey thus far.  A Central American mother separated from her children at the Arizona border.  A memoir of brothers growing up poor.  And then there was the book about eels, which was so beautifully written that it made me not only want to read the rest of it, but also recommend it to everyone I know.  The second to last excerpt in this section was so unexpectedly pompous and self important that I completely skipped the last excerpt for fear of being duped again.

I completely skipped the four excerpts in the Young Adult section.  Honestly, I did it because, after over 500 pages, the novelty of reading excerpts had worn off.  So rather than soldier through the rest of the book, I decided to declare victory and move on to one of the new books that I had requested in the course of digesting the Buzz Books volume.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book for anyone with eclectic tastes or anyone who is capable of making a decision about whether a book suits them after only a few pages.   If you need to know how everything works out, then you’re either going to hate the book or you’re going to end up with a massive TBR list.
What an exciting privilege to be able to get a sneak peek of what's coming this year! This is always an instant download for me. I've already pre-ordered a few, and am looking forward to reading more. Thank you, NetGalley!
As always, I'm looking forward to a bunch of new books, and Buzz Books is where I can easily find them. Many come with a link to the page on NetGalley which makes it easy to request but so hard to resist!
Wonderful to see what will be coming up on the lists of great new books. Concise and to the point. Thanks for keeping the readers updated in the current reading trends.
I am extremely excited to read the titles showcased in this book. Love the perfect bite size excerpts that draw you in.
I love reading Buzz Books! It's such a great way to get a preview of the books that are sure to be hits once published.
Some very tasty previews for titles soon to be released. Immediately going on my "want to read" list are Laura Bates' "The Burning," Jessica Anthony's "Enter the Aardvark," and Brit Bennett's "The Vanishing Half."
Ok I have to admit, I clicked on this book for the cover. Ding dong! I thought it was short stories hahaaa. Jokes on me. But this book gave me insight on new authors, New books coming out and so much more. I will be looking forward to the Fall/Winter edition! Great idea for the upcoming pizzazz books and debut authors.

A special thanks to NetGalley and Publishers Lunch Buzz Books for this ARC copy and also to NetGalley.