The World Eats Here

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 May 2020

Great intro into the worldly backgrounds of the vendors that make up this market. I love that you can experience the great diversity of food in a place that brings people together. I also like the cute mix of illustrations and photos. The book is organized by region.
I absolutely love this book!! Not only a recipe, but the story behind the recipes is what makes this book such a hit with me! It touches my heart and motivates me into the kitchen to try some of these recipes! I'd give this 10 stars if I could.  This is heart & Soul stories and recipes!
This would be perfect for a family looking to try out recipes from across the world. I really enjoyed this and look forward to having it on my shelf. I particularly liked how similar regions were grouped together for continuity. The stories behind these people and their businesses is the most interesting part of the book, A lot of the recipes you can find other places, but the people are the gold in this book, If you have ever been interested in food or food cultures other than your own, buy this book. Delicious recipes,.
While pouring through this book and reading each story and recipe, I found myself texting and calling my NYC friends and family to make sure they knew about this authentic foodie spot in Queens.  Having traveled the world and sought out the food night markets, I want to support any movement to expand this global gastronomical community building experience.
For cooks who enjoy traditional and fusion international cuisine, cookbook will be a top pick. There are also basic recipes that have easier to find ingredients for those who do not live in an urban area with a variety of grocery options.
The photos, the jazzy font and the back stories are really what make this book. The recipes are interesting, but unfortunately there is no nutritional information. Some of the ingredients are not readily available in smaller or non-metro cities and ordering online may be cost-prohibitive. Having said that, this book has a GREAT vibe and I enjoyed reading it.
So I a copy of the Grand Central Market LA cookbook and when I saw this book, I immediately gravitated toward it because I felt it would be very similar to the GCM LA cookbook.

I really like this book, not necessarily because it's published by a known publisher or a super duper coffee table book but I like it because this book was put together by the people who started this Food Night market in this neighborhood in NY and the recipes are from the stands in the market.

They are recipes which have been handed down for some, some a reminder of their culture and some from what they created.  It's "regular" people cooking for others.

I really like each recipe is accompanied by story of the vendor. Their background and how they ended up at the market.

Most recipes are easy to make at home, healthy probably not but delicious.
This book gives you a way to tour the world from your kitchen. There are detailed directions on how to make the recipes. The book includes explanations of the ingredients and the history of the recipes. There are pictures and tips throughout the book. There are also bios of the authors of each region that is represented.
This book was received as an ARC from The Experiment in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

It was such a joy reading this book and learning all these different cuisines from all over the world. The amazing pictures and recipes look so delicious especially the recipes from Romania of the cakes from their famous bakery. I also love the detail to the recipes and how they look complicated but they are easy to follow and the reader will feel amazed when they are done. The Baklava though looks so amazing that it may make a believer in Baklava and its goodness. I know this will be perfect for a Cooking Demo at our library.

We will consider adding this title to our Cookbook collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
I can't wait to buy this book for myself! Not only are the recipes INCREDIBLE, but the personal stories, images, and art are just delightful. Rarely does one find a cookbook in which every recipe is an inspiration, but this cookbook is just that, outright inspiring. I want to cook all of the recipes, and I want to make the trek to Queens to visit this night market for myself. I want to meet the people who show up each week to share their culture with the world. I could go on and on about how wonderful this book is, but I really must start making a grocery list...
Imagine that you live in one of the world's most populous cities.  Imagine that not only are there lots of people but that there are lots of foods.  Imagine that you would like to taste some of them.  Well, if you are in New York City's Borough of Queens, this is something that you can not only imagine but experience.  For everyone else, enjoy this virtual trip and its wonderful food culture and recipes.

Just some of the places that are the origins for the food at the market are Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Peru, Argentina, South Africa, India,South Korea, Indonesia, Russia and Ukraine.  Enjoy recipes for a pastrami sandwich, Salvadoran chicken tamales, Peruvian Ceviche, Guyanese Beef Patties, Trinidadian Callaloo, Almond Biscotti, Ukrainian Blintzes with Creamy Mushrooms , Pakistani Tandoori Chicken Kati, Beef Momos with Hot Sauce and many more.

Illustrated with many photographs as well as drawings this is a visually appealing cookbook that also includes stories about many of the cooks.  Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this amazing food journey.  All opinions are my own.
I absolutely loved this book! I actually went to the Queens Night Market once last summer and this book made me eager to go back. The April release date will be perfect timing. The pictures of the Market, as well as those of the foods and the folks who made them were great.

While I'm sure some people will tackle the recipes, the crowning glory of this book is the diverse cast of chefs/cooks that it catalogs. I loved being able to learn about all sorts of backgrounds from around the world, and some of the stories even made me emotional.

Would recommend this to anyone who has even a passing interest in food or learning about different cultures.
The Queens Night Market in New York is something that I had never heard of before but my interest in global cooking led me to this book. This book does not disappoint with the recipes from around the world and stories of the chefs who make them. It's a fantastic read,
I can't use 95% of the recipes in this wonderful cookbook because they tend towards heavy on the meat and a fair amount use gluten (though not as much as most American cookbooks), but I appreciate the stories of the wonderful cooks from around the world and the authentic recipes. Expect to buy some specialty ingredients for most, and a rather steep learning curve for some of them. It's always worth it to learn how to prepare traditional recipes the right ways, though.

Color photos and bios are provided of each chef. The recipes are usually accompanied by colorful drawings and not photos of the finished dish.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
I read a lot of cookbooks and this one was very good. I really enjoyed seeing so many different views and hearing everyone's story and the food looks amazing. Part cookbook, part biographies, this was a great idea because food really does bring people together.
This cookbook is amazing.  I mean, the recipes look amazing themselves.  But the coolest thing here are the stories of the immigrants and second-generation Americans.  I loved these stories, how they got to this point and how they all chose to share their cultures and food.  These are terrific people, and I'm glad they are here.  Perhaps some of the anti immigrant crowd should visit this night market and eat some of this delicious food!
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

Prized recipes and tales of home, work, and family—from the immigrant vendor-chefs of NYC’s first and favourite night market

On summer Saturday nights in Queens, New York, scents from Moldova to Mexico whet thousands of appetites as people gather to enjoy food from over 90 countries. Welcome to the Queens Night Market. It’s had well over a million visitors since 2015, and there’s little wonder why: The food is delicious, the energy infectious—and the $6 price cap, irresistible.

Many of the participating vendors are first- and second-generation immigrants living in Queens—the most diverse urban area on Earth! In The World Eats Here, they share their amazing food and incredible stories. You’ll meet Wanda Chiu of Hong Kong Street Food whose panfried noodles remind her of cold winter mornings before school. And Liia Minnebaeva will blow you away with her Bashkir farm cheese doughnuts—a treat from her childhood in Oktyabrsky in western Russia. Think Humans of New York . . . plus recipes!

Whether it’s Filipino dinuguan or Haitian diri ak djon djon, each recipe connects the reader with a small piece of the American story. Although each is entirely unique, they all demonstrate the importance of one essential idea: Food brings people together—and nowhere more so than at the Queens Night Market, where flavours from all over the world can be enjoyed in one unforgettable place.

File download issues aside (I had to keep downloading it as it didn't want to become a whole, connected book  - undoubtedly my fault.) I was so excited to get this book to read as I have actually been to this Queens Night Market and at my body weight in amazing food - I have been wanting to do this where I work and this book will help me get the point across, to the brass, on how awesome it is.  The people's stories are interesting and their food and the recipes amazing and I love that since they cannot charge more than $6, they are utterly affordable to make at home. These are not necessarily healthy food, but they are simple and filling and now, at 10 am, I am now jonesing for pan-fried noodles and doughnuts.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍜 🍩 🍜 🍩 🍜
This is a wonderful collection of oral stories from vendors at the Queens Night Market. I requested this book not for recipes (these are still much too complicated for me to attempt) but to figure out what food to seek out for our next Night Market in Beaverton! We don’t have quite the breadth of NYC diversity, but what I appreciate here are that the stories include first and second generation immigrants, and detail the significance of the food that they make for thousands of folks every summer.

The only reason I marked it down a star is because the purpose of the project is marketed as an exercise for grad school - and thus had a limited time frame to capture the stories and the people that were featured. I think it would have benefitted from a bit more time. That being said, all of the pictures and illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and the layout is really, really well done. If you like reading books that make you want to jump on a plane to stuff yourself with delicious good, this is the read for you.

Thanks to NetGalley for the e-ARC, all opinions are my own.
The Queens night market is the perfect blend of what America should be All cultures people who have moved to America make there hoes here come to eat socialize .We are introduced to the vendors who are lucky enough to cook here through their essays we learn their personal stories,The food that comes with recipes reflects their lives their ethnic roots.If I lived near this ark eat I would become a regular.This was a wonderful venue to read about a great idea that works well. #netgalley#theexperient