Mind over Weight

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Apr 2020

This isn't a diet book. It doesn't contain lists of foods that we know we should or should not be eating. Smith doesn't recommend any particular diet either. He DOES help explain our psychological thoughts on food and how we chose diets. He DOES give us an outline to follow, promoting a healthy lifestyle. Mind Over Weight is inspirational. Smith offers motivation, backed by science and psychology to help get us on track. Most impressive is his ability to clearly explain potentially difficult concepts to help us clearly understand our struggle with food and self-esteem and self-efficacy.
his book is a guide meant help you enter the right mind-set for weight loss and stay on track by defining goals and motivation to acheive success.

Overall the book isnt bad nothing groundbreaking in it mostly common sense but a few tools are very helpful in trying to decide what will make the difference this time to not only lose weight but keep it off.

This book is helpful if you track not only your foods but your emotional triggers and motivations. It promotes emotional reflection and changing your mindset for success. It has tips for reducing calories thru substitutes that easily pack on calorie consumption.

This book is best utilized if you truly track the things that not only keep you on track but the things or emotions that derail you. Weight loss and maintenance are such a personal journey and inner reflection is needed for long-term results.

This is not a weight loss plan rather a tool kit for learning strategies to keep you motivated. This will benefit some and not others but it is a book with solid strategies to help you strengthen and correct your relationship with food.

I relieved this book from NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an honest review.
Not a diet book per se, but rather a look at how to find the motivation to lose weight.  Figure out what holds us back and learn that what will help us lose weight depends on what’s in our head. That is the path to success.
I am always looking for new books on diet and healthy eating to help me on my path to a better me, and this book really fit the bill. It incorporated your mental health as well as your physical to get the best you you can be.
Love this book! I felt a connection right away. It’s been so helpful in my journey to become healthy. There is so much useful information and great tips!
I liked that this book really addressed how different things work for different people!!
Where I thought,  meh!, was the beginning half of the book...it is line he covered all his bases before talking about how he viewed the weight issue.
This book is about getting the right mind-set. helping to make the right goals, and find your motivation so you can stick to your weight loss plan.  I felt that it made a lot of good points and gave some valuable tools to help you decide if you really are ready, and if you are then what will make the difference this time from all of the other times you have tried to lose weight.
I have to say I was a little disappointed in Dr. Ian's latest book. This is all very basic information that you can find in a hundred other books currently on the shelf. Skip this one and read one of his previous works.
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

A motivational guide to losing weight and maintaining success by the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Clean & Lean

Every day of every year, thousands of people start some type of weight loss/transformation journey. Mind over Weight is an important weapon to add to their arsenals.

While eating the right food and exercising is critical to weight loss success, Mind over Weight helps readers win the battle by getting everything "in order" above the neck. It will guide readers to find their motivation, stick to a plan, and set the right goals.

There are a million diet plans out there, but few plans address issues equally critical to weight loss success: they're all in the six inches between your ears!

Written by Ian K. Smith, MD, bestselling author of SHRED and The Clean 20, Mind over Weight is an easy read with concrete steps dieters will be able to follow. Each chapter ends with a takeaway action item for readers to complete to help create an overall strategy for body and life transformation.

As a serious fan of Dr. Smith's novels, I always enjoy reading his "diet books" as well.  This one makes logical sense and it is true that 99.99% of the diet is above the head. I have a SERIOUS issue with will power and usually chuck the healthy eating to cravings: this book I think can help me with that. Well written, logical and sustainable, this is a great book to read: although we have a mantra against buying "diet books", I already pre-ordered a copy for myself.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍑🍑🍑🍑

PS>  READ HIS NOVELS!!!
As someone who struggles with body image, weight, and all of the societal norms that are pushed on you for what is and is not acceptable this book was spot on with all of the behavior based therapy I have gone through. It gives very simple steps and journaling techniques to ensure that you have a lasting result, not just a quick fix that most diets and fads result in. Strongly recommend for anyone.
I read many books about weight loss. I feel like this book really hit home. I know the best things that I should eat...but my mind is what sabotages me. This book really spoke to me and I hope that I can practice the ideas that were shared with me in this book. I plan to buy this book for the library where I work.
Developing a personal diet or fitness plan -- and sticking to it -- is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical one. As someone who has struggled with making realistic goals and sticking with my fitness program for the long haul, I really needed a book like this one!

I enjoyed Ian K. Smith's book Clean & Lean. His no-nonsense, straight forward approach to eating and weight loss made incorporating intermittent fasting into my lifestyle an easy switch. When I saw the title to this new book, I knew I had to read it! I'm glad I did....there is so much awesome information in this book!

Mind Over Weight covers many of the pitfalls of starting a diet/fitness plan -- motivation, making realistic goals, assessing your readiness to start a program, and sticking with it. There are lots of places to personalize your book by filling in your goals/strengths/weaknesses. I'm definitely buying a copy of this for my keeper shelf! I like the fact that I can fill in my thoughts and goals and make the book part of my personal fitness/healthy eating journey.

Another great book from Ian K. Smith. I'm definitely eagerly awaiting his next one!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martin's Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
This is a very interesting book. It has a lot of good information and it is explained in an easy to understand format.

The premise is to get your mind wrapped around your motivation and then make a plan and follow it. The book has a quiz one can take to find out where you are as you start your journey to weight loss.

I like this author very much and think he does a good job of helping people with weight loss. It is a touchy subject with some people and Ian Smith writes in a very approachable manner.